Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake 50 and 20 euros notes

Options
  • 21-05-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I posted a macbook on adverts and after the usual back and forth it i accepted a suitable offer. to the tune of 1300e.yesterday the gent came to a park near my house and after all the analysis of the laptop all was well. he paid me in cash . and i went home. i went to the shop this morning to buy groceries and i was handed back my note, i swapped it for another . the gent at lidl says its fake. I pay with card and hurry home to check the rest . i think 3 are real the rest are fake

I am not sure what to do from here. obviously i messaged the guy, called no answer.

What can I do, I was going to lodge the rest this afternoon but i doubt i can claim i didnt know now, and my conscience is another obstacle.

Can law enforcement help me at all???

hyperventilating...

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You need to go to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

Toots wrote: »
    You need to go to the gardai.

I'm going now. What exactly can they do? I'm travelling Friday too. This has really messed me up. Can they get my laptop back ? Also would the burden of proof not lie with me. My girlfriend says so. That I have to prove he gave me fake currency. That he could claim he gave me real money and I'm trying to scam him.

She's a law student so I can understands that do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How will you find him?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How will you find him?

I don't know. Numbers a dud, I filled out a form at the police station with the serial number of the laptop and the guys phoney number . And that was it ... they will call me if the laptops turns up? I don't know how it will?

What else can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

He'll have used a burner phone. You won't be seeing him again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

beaner92 wrote: »
    I don't know. Numbers a dud, I filled out a form at the police station with the serial number of the laptop and the guys phoney number . And that was it ... they will call me if the laptops turns up? I don't know how it will?

What else can I do?

Nothing I'm afraid, if they find anything they will call you but it's not a priority for them.

In future do transactions through PayPal to cover yourself.

RossieMan wrote: »
    He'll have used a burner phone. You won't be seeing him again.

Any more comforting advice or possibilities?
    Can adverts.ie provide ip addresses?

Any more comforting advice or possibilities?
    Can adverts.ie provide ip addresses?

To the guards who will investigate now you've reported it. There is nothing else you personally can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

How did u not spot them.... fakes are usually bad!! Bad paper and no watermark

I would have studied the notes before hanging over the laptop.
    Bad bastard anyway.... hope you catch up to him

Live and learn? To the gaurds. Possible he'll be known to them. Tell me you took the regs of the car?

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    How did u not spot them.... fakes are usually bad!! Bad paper and no watermark

I would have studied the notes before hanging over the laptop.
    Bad bastard anyway.... hope you catch up to him

They have water marks and the reflectors

Live and learn? To the gaurds. Possible he'll be known to them. Tell me you took the regs of the car?

I live near Stephen green park. We met at the park. No idea where he went after .

Can you post a pic if the notes?

Can you post a pic if the notes?

Did the guards take them as evidence? Not much good to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Textbook scam. Usually used when buying a car. Have maybe 5 or 6 of the notes at the front be legit, and the rest fake. Create a sense of urgency to do the deal, and move on.

Op, the guards will log it and humour you, but the reality is they won't do anything. If they see a trend developing with others scammed, they will move, but other than that it's an expensive use of Garda resources with everything else that is competing for their time and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You should look around and see if there are CCTV cameras around and if so see can you get footage kept.

Look at park CCTV and close by shops or businesses that he could well have been caught on.

Did the guards take them as evidence? Not much good to the op.

Yes I left them with the officer . I thought the interaction would be longer, or I'd get a sketch artist to describe the guy . But it took less than 5-7 mins. And that's it .

You should look around and see if there are CCTV cameras around and if so see can you get footage kept.

Look at park CCTV and close by shops or businesses that he could well have been caught on.

I checked the Stephens green exit off leeson street and theres no cameras pointing at the gate

myshirt wrote: »
    Textbook scam. Usually used when buying a car. Have maybe 5 or 6 of the notes at the front be legit, and the rest fake. Create a sense of urgency to do the deal, and move on.

Op, the guards will log it and humour you, but the reality is they won't do anything. If they see a trend developing with others scammed, they will move, but other than that it's an expensive use of Garda resources with everything else that is competing for their time and attention.

Can I go back and ask for a sketch artist? Or is that too much ?

I checked the Stephens green exit off leeson street and theres no cameras pointing at the gate

You sure... Nearly sure there are.

Have a good look around.

Is that the way he came and left??

CCTV on lights and buildings along there.

• Advertisement

You sure... Nearly sure there are.

Have a good look around.

Is that the way he came and left??

CCTV on lights and buildings along there.

I'll cycle back and check. That's the direction he walked in after the deal was done. so I guess there's a 25% chance he used it to leave rather than loop around and use another one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can I go back and ask for a sketch artist? Or is that too much ?

You'd be likely enough to get laughed at, I'm afraid.

Yes I left them with the officer . I thought the interaction would be longer, or I'd get a sketch artist to describe the guy . But it took less than 5-7 mins. And that's it .

Yes that's what happens when you report a minor crime, no there's no chance of a sketch artist for such a small thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Did he have any feedback on adverts?

Did he have any feedback on adverts?

Yes one good one . From last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

They have water marks and the reflectors

It is very difficult to get the texture and raised ink. If you looked at them properly, you would have noticed it

So am I just down 1300. That's it ? Is there any hope at all ?... should I just forget and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So am I just down 1300. That's it ? Is there any hope at all ?... should I just forget and move on?

Unfortunately the latter. You're more likely to win the euromillions than recovery of funds or MBP.

Sh?tty sh?tty feeling, but best put it behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Are those markers shops use to check notes reliable at spotting fakes?

• Advertisement

Were you still logged into any programs on computer? As in if turned on and linked to the net could you search where it is.

Also have you all the details such as unique serial number?

Advertisement