Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 Stolen [DoneDeal]

Options
  • 03-03-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just a word of warning as I had the wool pulled over my eyes tonight and wasn't careful enough and had an iPhone stolen from me. I was selling the iPhone at the time, so it was boxed with everything. I didn't obey my usual rules of only letting people collect stuff from my house and I met them at a garage in South Dublin. I was paid in fake tender, which I noticed and gave chase but unfortunately he ran down a lane and sped off in a waiting car.

If people could keep their eyes open and report back to me if they see it for sale anywhere that would be great. Young guy black hair, 5ft 9, Dublin accent.

iPhone 7 Matte Black 128GB
    IMEI: 355323080278606
    S/N: F17SQTNVHG7K

Reported stolen and Blacklisted.

Could be the end of my selling days after many, many years of genuine (mainly Adverts) buyers.

Thanks in Advance

Appleguy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

Appleguy wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just a word of warning as I had the wool pulled over my eyes tonight and wasn't careful enough and had an iPhone stolen from me. I was selling the iPhone at the time, so it was boxed with everything. I didn't obey my usual rules of only letting people collect stuff from my house and I met them at a garage in South Dublin. I was paid in fake tender, which I noticed and gave chase but unfortunately he ran down a lane and sped off in a waiting car.

If people could keep their eyes open and report back to me if they see it for sale anywhere that would be great. Young guy black hair, 5ft 9, Dublin accent.

iPhone 7 Matte Black 128GB
    IMEI: 355323080278606
    S/N: F17SQTNVHG7K

Reported stolen and Blacklisted.

Could be the end of my selling days after many, many years of genuine (mainly Adverts) buyers.

Thanks in Advance

Appleguy

Ouch. Expensive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Probably best not putting imei on public forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

stevek93 wrote: »
    Probably best not putting imei on public forum
    Why not? The OP has nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Sorry to hear that. But it's good to know that scumbags are now using fake currency, no doubt we'll be hearing more cases like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Jesus I would be cautious as a buyer of such items,didn't realise sellers now have to be vigilant too!Is there a lot of cctv around the garage,might be a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Johngoose wrote: »
    Jesus I would be cautious as a buyer of such items,didn't realise sellers now have to be vigilant too!Is there a lot of cctv around the garage,might be a help.

Ye it was an expensive lesson. There is loads of CCTV in the garage in question as its fairly new. I'm hoping the Gardaí will know the guy and be able to catch him.

On a lighter note, he paid me with 36 €20 notes, which is actually above the odds of what we had arranged at €720, Ordinary Decent Criminal! ;)

All the €20's is a distraction technique obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ye it was an expensive lesson. There is loads of CCTV in the garage in question as its fairly new. I'm hoping the Gardaí will know the guy and be able to catch him.

On a lighter note, he paid me with 36 €20 notes, which is actually above the odds of what we had arranged at €720, Ordinary Decent Criminal! ;)

All the €20's is a distraction technique obviously.

36*20=0?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tigger wrote: »
    36*20=0?

They were fake €20 so therefore equal zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just out of interest, how did you know they were fake? iv never seen a fake note before.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Drumorig

I can see it now, a load of dodgy twenties, now who would be easiest to rip? Hmm, someone silly enough to buy an iPhone would be a perfect target :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Drumorig wrote: »
    I can see it now, a load of dodgy twenties, now who would be easiest to rip? Hmm, someone silly enough to buy an iPhone would be a perfect target :-)

The OP was selling not buying.

New Development

Ok so I'm pretty sure I've identified (who could be this scumbag) selling my iPhone on DoneDeal again for €500. I can't confirm as I've been in talks with him but he won't give me the IMEI number over the phone. However he has listed it several times over the last two weeks with different names and different phone numbers but the same add text and pictures.

What are my options? I could meet him pretending to buy it and when I make sure it's mine tell him he's not leaving with it and ring the Gards? I'd be putting myself in danger this way though as I could be assaulted if they try to take it back or indeed they could be assaulted if things got hairy and I lost my cool.

Any other safer ideas? Are there any members of the force on here who would be willing to help? I'd say they may have copped on to the fact that it's blacklisted by now and not working and they're looking for some sucker to sell it to for €500 even though it doesn't work. I would like to try to prevent some other poor person being subject to these guys and forking out €500 for nothing!

Fol20 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how did you know they were fake? iv never seen a fake note before.

I knew they were fake as soon as he ran, I only confirmed it when I went back to the car when he got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Buy it back with the fake cash. J o b.

EGriff wrote: »
    Buy it back with the fake cash. J o b.

I'm kinda looking for options that don't make me as bad as them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm kinda looking for options that don't make me as bad as them.

You're not as bad as them, just returning their property. Which is a selfless act.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. A scumbag will know fake notes if they've used them before. Also, you're likely to get punched.

I doubt the Garda are willing to field a "sting" operation for a stolen phone. Have you talked to them?

Unless you're mates with a few MMA practitioners all you do if f*ck them around and frustrate their attempts to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

OP, i really feel your pain, honestly thats a lot of money to lose for anyone.
    BUT
    Your health and safety is more important. Its just not worth it.

Let it go........

whiterebel wrote: »
    You're not as bad as them, just returning their property. Which is a selfless act.

The Gardaí have the fake notes as evidence so the act of me reproducing more wouldn't be really something I'd consider doing

Dades wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. A scumbag will know fake notes if they've used them before. Also, you're likely to get punched.

I doubt the Garda are willing to field a "sting" operation for a stolen phone. Have you talked to them?

Unless you're mates with a few MMA practitioners all you do if f*ck them around and frustrate their attempts to sell it.

I've spoken to the Garda today and he's doing all he can but think a 'sting' is out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'd go the sting route. arrange to meet in the jervis, watch him arrive, snatch your phone and run to security. I got stung on adverts, so I set the guy up to meet in the jervis, approached him from the side, headbutt, he hit the deck, I got my goods and was gone in under 2 minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

OP, the only sane/legal option is to involve the Gardai. Closing thread now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement