Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Do we expect a weaker selection against the US? IMO it's the perfect opportunity to blood some of the uncapped players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Given Japan will be a tougher game than the USA, I'd say we might see a little bit of experimentation in that opening game.

I can see a few of those uncapped lads being on the bench and another one or two being on the pitch.

Strong team for opening Japan game and a blend for second.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Given Japan will be a tougher game than the USA, I'd say we might see a little bit of experimentation in that opening game.

I can see a few of those uncapped lads being on the bench and another one or two being on the pitch.

Strong team for opening Japan game and a blend for second.

The only issue I see is that anyone on standby for the Lions will have to start against the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bridge93 wrote: »
    One of the fellas at work has said that its Molony or Dillane if hes passed fit.

That makes the most sense to me all right. Dillane appears to be in the drivers seat, but Molony has been going well. Could do with a big performance off the bench now on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

molloyjh wrote: »
    That makes the most sense to me all right. Dillane appears to be in the drivers seat, but Molony has been going well. Could do with a big performance off the bench now on Friday.

The Ryan over Molony call is still curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Winters wrote: »

Didnt see the press conference (if there as one?) but was there any talk that Ryan was going as an "apprentice" similar to the All Blacks model on the November tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Do we expect a weaker selection against the US? IMO it's the perfect opportunity to blood some of the uncapped players.

Depends. Japan will be tough, to be honest I wouldn't be that shocked if we shipped a loss in one of the tests. I don't think we will but it is certainly possible. I can't however see us losing to the US in any circumstances. Therefore you could put a weaker selection out against them, alternatively Joe may want to work on combos against them given a lot of these players won't have played together before.

IMO I think this is almost like a 3 or 4 week training camp with some games thrown in for good measure, the real benefit of this tour is the time the likes of Porter, Ryan, Treadwell, R.Scannell, O'Loughlin and Stockdale etc spend in camp.

crisco10 wrote: »

Didnt see the press conference (if there as one?) but was there any talk that Ryan was going as an "apprentice" similar to the All Blacks model on the November tours?

At the moment he is one of three second rows. It looks like Dillane or Molony will be added next week but even still Ryan will almost certainly see some gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    IMO I think this is almost like a 3 or 4 week training camp with some games thrown in for good measure, the real benefit of this tour is the time the likes of Porter, Ryan, Treadwell, R.Scannell, O'Loughlin and Stockdale etc spend in camp.

I think you're right.

Another big benefit I think will be the change of pace getting in the three new coaches. It's ROG against USA so I'd doubt he'd be letting them go too easy that week!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I agree. They obviously have very high expectations for Ryan. It sounds like Molony isn't far off either and I think if he can push on that bit more next season he'll get other opportunities. He only just turned 23 the other day so he's still a baby in lock terms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I always said that all it takes is a few good games for Leinster to be picked by Uncle Joe, but I will hold up my hands and admit Im wrong.
    Turns out you dont even need to get on the pitch :pac::pac:
    I kid, i kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Great squad. From a Connacht point of view delighted for Heffernan.
    Bit disappointed for Buckley and also SOB2 who's had a savage season. Thought Quin Roux may have snuck in since the absence of Ryan and Henderson. Dillane will surely be called if fit.

Byrne and Sweetnam very hard done by but huge quality in the back 3 now coming thru.
    Delighted to see a lot of the older guard dropped who are just not needed anymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bit off topic here, but when does Tom McCartney qualify? I presume he'd be way down the pecking order now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Well Ulster will have an Irish International scrum half now..
    They already have one.
    Fofana is small, but thankfully for Leinster his biceps aren't
    ...and also 'Faaar awaaay'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

aloooof wrote: »
    Bit off topic here, but when does Tom McCartney qualify? I presume he'd be way down the pecking order now?

October, he'll be 32 by the time he's qualified so doubt he'll get capped for Ireland unless there's an injury crisis among the hookers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

October, he'll be 32 by the time he's qualified so doubt he'll get capped for Ireland unless there's an injury crisis among the hookers.

Ya, that's what I was thinking. At the end of last season, it looked like he might get a cap in this upcoming November window but with the emergence of Scannell now as well, it seems far less likely.

aloooof wrote: »
    Ya, that's what I was thinking. At the end of last season, it looked like he might get a cap in this upcoming November window but with the emergence of Scannell now as well, it seems far less likely.

Yeah if he was qualified last summer could have seen him picking up caps this season but the emergence of Scannell and Cronins impact off the bench have them as 2nd and 3rd choice depending whose on form at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just realised this is probably the first Irish squad of the professional era without a munster second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just realised this is probably the first Irish squad of the professional era without a munster second row.

Yerrah they'll claim Dillane. I'm sure Billy Keane already has something put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yerrah they'll claim Dillane. I'm sure Billy Keane already has something put together.

The examiner have it in the vault, like the BBC with the queen's obit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

the only consistent myth attributed to Schmidt is that hes a conservative selector who only picks experience, when in fact hes given the highest number of new caps to players pro rata per game.

More often they have been forced by injury rater than form though

2013 tour to North America, O'Connell was away with the Lions and Ryan didn't travel on tour with Ireland bringing Tuohy, Toner and McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

irishman86 wrote: »

**** that's an awful lot of injuries so, must be the most unfortunate coach in history for injuries.

irishman86 wrote: »

'form' isnt and never will be the most important attribute of an injury replacement.

'form' gets you into camp

camp experience and performances gets you onto the team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

James Ryan has more caps for Munster than Leinster

Brilliant! :D

Fact of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So can we once and for all dismiss this idea that Joe prefers young lads from Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So can we once and for all dismiss this idea that Joe prefers young lads from Leinster?

You know..That ones too easy so I'm just going to put my phone down for a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Neil3030 wrote: »

It was only Munster Development. If he'd turned out for the Munster seniors, no way was he going on tour. This is Joe Schmidt we're talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement