Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I wonder do they still want to give Molony time to work on his conditioning, he's really stepped up since the end of the 6n.

It's a great squad though and has perked my interest in these games up completely. We've omitted lads who may be next in line if it's a big fixture but realistically aren't of the requisite quality. (Gilroy, McFadden, Bent) and also players who have started recently but who's careers are probably on a downward curve (Trimble).

Have to say I'm really happy for Conway, he's had some decent runs without injury this past year and has really pushed on. He looks to be right in contention for a spot in the 23 with all fit and available now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Marshall is in the squad.

Agree on Gilroy, doesn't look like he's going to make it. Probably not a surprise at this stage really.

my bad !

it will be interesting to see if scannell can out perform him at 12, assuming ROL and Ringrose are the 13s.... (and NO! Earls is not an option ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cracking squad, well done Joe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Buer wrote: »
    He gave him his first appearance at a very young age but, that aside, there's little enough to suggest that Schmidt is a massive fan to my knowledge.

The worst thing that ever happened to Byrne was getting that appearance. There has been a steady hype train behind him whenever he has been involved ever since. I recall people being taken aback at how poor he was at U20 level in the JWC.

He'll be capped some day but I don't see him as being a long term international player for Ireland. But that can change. Andrew Trimble wasn't even included in Schmidt's first training squad.

True its exactly why he has nonsensical comments like " I don't see him as being a long term international player for Ireland".

The criticism he gets on here is unreal and unwarrented compared to others...look at some of the errors seasoned pro's like Kearney, Earl's and McFadden have committed this season. Leinster lost that semi's because they thought like you in selection.

He has been very consistent and has performed as well as Sweetnam and Stockdale this season.

He broke his leg twice before that under 20 WC.

I suppose his lack of versatility also hindered his selection.

One thing Schmidt has consistently shown is that if he feels somebody has the athletic requirements for test rugby he'll fast track them. Henshaw and Henderson both enjoyed swift promotions under Schmidt and I'd imagine he see's Porter, Ryan and Stockdale in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭leakyboots

.ak wrote: »
    Don't see that myself. He's got work ons but he already has all the attributes to play international footy. Schmidt is a stickler for detail so maybe there's a bit more he needs work on. Personally I would've brought him over Conway; as much of a fan as I am of Conway I don't see him having an international career, he's too small.

Or maybe you're just in love with him :)

As for Conway being too small, Fofana, Shane Williams etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Niallof9 wrote: »
    True its exactly why he has nonsensical comments like " I don't see him as being a long term international player for Ireland".

The criticism he gets on here is unreal and unwarrented compared to others...look at some of the errors seasoned pro's like Kearney, Earl's and McFadden have committed this season. Leinster lost that quarters because they thought like you in selection.

He has been very consistent and has performed as well as Sweetnam and Stockdale this season.

Leinster won the QF. We lost the SF because we collectively failed to get to the right intensity from the off. Numerous players had difficulties. Isa, Carbery and Leavy all struggled for example. It's a nice and neat narrative to suggest that conservative selection cost Leinster. There's almost no basis in fact for it though. Especially as Ferg was selected ahead of Byrne and made no noticeable errors to contribute to the defeat. In fact all Clermonts attacks in the opening 20 came down the opposite wing to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

shuffol wrote:
    One thing Schmidt has consistently shown is that if he feels somebody has the athletic requirements for test rugby he'll fast track them. Henshaw and Henderson both enjoyed swift promotions under Schmidt and I'd imagine he see's Porter, Ryan and Stockdale in the same way.

Kidney gave Henderson his debut against SA in 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

case885 wrote: »

as did Henshaw under Kiss. It's a consistent myth attributed to Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »
    Donnacha Ryan as well.

He's off to France but I thought he would've been selected for the tour at least.

Well, no real point selecting someone for this tour if they're not in the plan for the next two years surely?
    We're only bringing three locks and two of them are uncapped. Thought we'd bring him for the experience he provides. Plus he's still a very good player.

• Advertisement

It could be a case of Schmidt having a preference over somebody who's more comfortable on the left wing. Byrne is a right winger or nothing really so has les value on a tour like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 99 ✭✭scrights

leakyboots wrote: »
    Or maybe you're just in love with him :)

As for Conway being too small, Fofana, Shane Williams etc

comparing conway to Fofana and Shane Williams.... is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    I think they've got that absolutely bang on. Very green squad, particularly in the backs.

Jackson is going to need to really step up there.

Yep he will, and if Kearney/Heaslip aren't the extra player then there is a chance he could end up captain as well. Not that I'm a fan of out halfs skippering teams.

Although clearly Zeebs should get it as we know how desperate he is to captain Munster!

Really? I've rarely seen it said myself. Heaven forbid people make mistakes.

case885 wrote: »

Yes but I don't think Schmidt has left him out of a 23 when he's been available. Even occasions where he's just returned from injury and has had very little game time.

bilston wrote: »
    Yep he will, and if Kearney/Heaslip aren't the extra player then there is a chance he could end up captain as well. Not that I'm a fan of out halfs skippering teams.

Although clearly Zeebs should get it as we know how desperate he is to captain Munster!

And the Lions. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the only consistent myth attributed to Schmidt is that hes a conservative selector who only picks experience, when in fact hes given the highest number of new caps to players pro rata per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good balance to the squad in every respect, interesting that Toner is travelling rather than Mick Kearney or Nagle, they intend to come back with a firm 3 from 3. Should be interesting fixtures.

Rhys Ruddock to captain for my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »
    We're only bringing three locks and two of them are uncapped. Thought we'd bring him for the experience he provides. Plus he's still a very good player.

How good he is is pretty irrelevant now tbh. I think Schmidt has gotten it right. Probably the most exciting squad I can remember for an Irish test series. I suspect we could lose a match or even two against Japan but if we come out the other side having all these guys in position to be called up for the 6n and beyond it'll be worth it.

scrights wrote: »
    comparing conway to Fofana and Shane Williams.... is laughable.

Whoooosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

When was the last time two brothers played in the same game for Ireland? Was it the Bests?

Would be great to see both Scannells tog out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

conf101 wrote: »
    When was the last time two brothers played in the same game for Ireland? Was it the Bests?

The Kearneys no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He hasn't been selected for this tour. He isn't first choice for Leinster, it would appear. The wingers that are on this tour are 29, 27, 25 and 21. He has to compete with the current Leinster squad along with James Lowe next season too.

I think it's pretty reasonable to say that, unless things change significantly, there's a reasonable doubt that he'll be a long term international player for Ireland. I can see him picking up 15-20 caps as it stands but he'll be pushing 24 now and uncapped.

At this point in time, he's far closer to having a Craig Gilroy test career than he is to having a Tommy Bowe test career.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Good balance to the squad in every respect, interesting that Toner is travelling rather than Mick Kearney or Nagle

Jesus, neither of them should be in with a chance of a Wolfhounds squad right now let alone a senior one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ballingarry

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Well, no real point selecting someone for this tour if they're not in the plan for the next two years surely?

I would have thought that he had a better 6 nations than Toner and as a team player would have been a better player to assist the younger players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would have thought that he had a better 6 nations than Toner and as a team player would have been a better player to assist the younger players.

The first part is irrelevant really and I have no insight into the second.

He is not going to be a part of any squads going forward. What would be the sense in bringing him on essentially a development tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

musical-trumpet-250x250.jpg

For yer man who picked the young lock Ryan.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    musical-trumpet-250x250.jpg

For yer man who picked the young lock Ryan.

You think he's got a horn after seeing the squad?

Durty.

conf101 wrote: »

Kearneys.

If it was for when the last time two brothers played for the Irish football team you're looking at Clinton Morrison and Stephen Reid I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

McFadden, Trimble, Bowe, Cronin, Strauss, Ryan, Heaslip, Kearney, Keatley, Gilroy were all involved in 6 nations matchday squads, aren't with the Lions and Joe has cut from this tour.

I think it's a very good selection for us fans. Worth waking up for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement