Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use in early / mid Twenties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If you wanna just chill I'd do some Opiates like Heroin or Morphine

What????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

If your doing it for like a bit of craic on a weekend I'd do a bit of Coke or if you can get some good E tabs.

If you wanna just chill I'd do some Opiates like Heroin or Morphine, or Benzo's like Xanax or Valium. Zopiclone can be intresting to.

You'd have found yourself getting a good old fashioned Republican kneecaping for indulging in that sort of behaviour not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

ardinn wrote: »
    What????

It is possible to use opiates responsibly.

Same way not every drinker turns into a alcoholic.

They just tend to be very morish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

2000-2010

"Reach for the lasers, safe as ****"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

uch wrote: »
    Talking through yer hole here, I grew up in the late 70's early 80's in a group of 10 people, there were 6 heroin addicts and 2 alcoholics, 5 of the heroin addicts are dead, the 2 alco's are still flying, I'm the only junkie still alive, it took me over 20 years to get clean, so to say drink is more dangerous than drugs is in my opinion someone with no clue about either talking through their arsé.

I think it depends on whether you look at harm to users or harm to society on whether a drug is bad or not. Heroin is generally bad for the user, where as alcohol tends to be worse for society

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11660210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I remember there was a story on some channel 4 documentary about a doctor who had been using heroin for decades, he had a clean supply and controlled it. You'd never know he was using heroin and he functioned normally. But the bottom line is, he was still a heroin addict. If he lost he's clean supply he'd be out on the streets doing whatever he could to find more. He'd likely be dead within a year or two as the same documentary highlighted when a clean heroin scheme in the UK got shut down.

The scheme would give clean heroin to addicts and they'd be able to live normal lives, even giving up things like prostitution because they no longer needed the money. The law got changed and they could no longer get clean heroin, most were dead within two years.

But they were still addicted to a dangerous drug, made so much more dangerous by its legal status. A heroin addict is a heroin addict, they're easy prey for anybody due to that addiction. I don't ever see a time when people will be able to use heroin recreationally. It's nearly always going to break people and open them up to further abuse.

But offering clean heroin to addicts is the first step in rehabilitation, the ideal would be for no one to use heroin but that's just not going to happen. controlling that addiction with a view to becoming clean eventually should be the goal. We should also be willing to accept that some people will be heroin addicts their whole lives and they'll never be able to kick it. Even if they want to remain addicts we should supply the drug to them it's better than any of the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Maybe it's about the circles you move in. I was a pretty naive young thing, might have had a few puffs of a spliff that was doing the rounds at a house party, but as a teenager/early 20s it was all about the jager bombs and vodka cokes for me.
    Had a very "DRUGS ARE BAD, DON'T DO DRUGS" upbringing so was largely ignorant to the folks out the back doing lines or whatever on nights out. Never did it, never saw it.

Tried the Charlie a couple of times in my late 20s but realised how much of an utter prick it turned me into so never went as far as forming a habit with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

ardinn wrote: »

XTC is not what it used to be - but if anyone offers you any speckled mitsy's get about 50!

It's funny- apparently your average pill is as strong, if not stronger, than the early 90s'. Any time this story gets put out it invariably leads to a load of comments from old timers about how the pills ain't what they used to be.

The funny thing is, when I started raving in 2002, the yokes blew the head off me. The white Mitzis were pretty much the standard (in fact it's only in th last few years I've commonly started seeing yokes that are colured anyting other than white r shaped like non circular objects) Yet at every rave, house party, and so on, there would always be a few surviving refugees from the summer of 89, the Asylum and Olympic Ballroom days, lads who back then were in their late 20's early 30's, yammering on about how the pills just ain't what they used to be.

Fast forward 15 years, the pills are apparently as strong as ever, yet I'd say it's at least 4 years since I was mangled off of one like I could get in the old days, when the older lads were moaning that the yokes had gone to the dogs. And, being older and wiser, and with the amount of talk you hear about delayed effect PMA knocking about these days, I just don't like doing more than one to stay safe. But the effects of one in the old days- the initial prickling of the toes that indicates it's in the post on the way, the music pulsating through me, the sense of oneness with utter strangers, talking deep and meaningful nonsense like the kitchen party scene in Human Traffic (I still waffle in the taxi on the way back, but I don't think as much as we once did), I just don't get quite there anymore despite the yips apparently being stronger than they were back when I did get like that. I still feel good and can have an oul bop on the floor, but not like it was way back when.

Strong or weak, I think eventually the head just builds a tolerance, or even a boredom, towards taking them. Same with the drink- I could easily drink for 18 hours straight as a young lad without the need for a narcotic to keep going (although it helped :pac:) these days without a cheeky line or a half a yoke I'd be struggling to care if I was in a nightclub beyond 1am having only been out since early evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Isn't this a form of confirmation bias?

The Irish not using drug are probably just normal people who probably also don't go out of their way to garner attention. Not all drug consumers are attention-seekers but it definitely is a common trend among young people who take multiple drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 General Butt Naked

Worst thing about the Irish is importing the moronic rave culture from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

LOL couldn't have said it more correctly...this video from the American economist Max Keiser perfectly captures the issue of drugs among a lot of Irish youth in terms of motivation

Yep. 'Raving' is a bunch of scummy looking guys hanging out in some ****ty nightclub. I hate the retarded pill culture in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

**** me, that pair are hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Anyone else get a perverse thrill in seeing people harm themselves with drugs?

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

jeanjolie wrote: »
    LOL couldn't have said it more correctly...this video from the American economist Max Keiser perfectly captures the issue of drugs among a lot of Irish youth in terms of motivation

That's a genuine video...I actually thought it was a Max Koch sketch. Better finish up the cocoa and go asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I haven't touched ecstasy in over 12 years. I'm older now, with kids, and honestly the comedown and hangover was brutal for me. I wouldn't have any interest in doing it again... but I did it every weekend (mostly) for a couple of years.
    Cocaine I've done twice (well 2 sessions) a stag weekend and a wedding a few months later. That was last year... I'd probably do that again on specific occasions like weddings or stags. I quite liked it actually.
    Cannabis is the substance I use most frequently. Like every evening an hour before bed. It should be legal. I think it will be legal here eventually. It has zero negative effects (a little bit of introspective paranoia sometimes but is easy to handle when you know what it is) and is very enjoyable. The price is the only real negative.
    The real magic is in psychedelics like mushrooms, truffles or my personal favourite DMT. They are fun, frightening in a good way and surprisingly insightful. I would recommend DMT to anyone who has a genuinely inquisitive mind... it's fascinating and astonishing.

I'd definitely stay away from opiates, especially herion. Never heard a good story about "the craic we had those few years we were on heroin"... maybe that's down to supply and purity. But I certainly wouldn't want to go down that road at all.

I'm of the opinion that most things can be done in moderation. Anything can be abused... alcohol being the worst in my opinion.

Stupid comment.

It's funny- apparently your average pill is as strong, if not stronger, than the early 90s'. Any time this story gets put out it invariably leads to a load of comments from old timers about how the pills ain't what they used to be.

The funny thing is, when I started raving in 2002, the yokes blew the head off me. The white Mitzis were pretty much the standard (in fact it's only in th last few years I've commonly started seeing yokes that are colured anyting other than white r shaped like non circular objects) Yet at every rave, house party, and so on, there would always be a few surviving refugees from the summer of 89, the Asylum and Olympic Ballroom days, lads who back then were in their late 20's early 30's, yammering on about how the pills just ain't what they used to be.

Fast forward 15 years, the pills are apparently as strong as ever, yet I'd say it's at least 4 years since I was mangled off of one like I could get in the old days, when the older lads were moaning that the yokes had gone to the dogs. And, being older and wiser, and with the amount of talk you hear about delayed effect PMA knocking about these days, I just don't like doing more than one to stay safe. But the effects of one in the old days- the initial prickling of the toes that indicates it's in the post on the way, the music pulsating through me, the sense of oneness with utter strangers, talking deep and meaningful nonsense like the kitchen party scene in Human Traffic (I still waffle in the taxi on the way back, but I don't think as much as we once did), I just don't get quite there anymore despite the yips apparently being stronger than they were back when I did get like that. I still feel good and can have an oul bop on the floor, but not like it was way back when.

Strong or weak, I think eventually the head just builds a tolerance, or even a boredom, towards taking them. Same with the drink- I could easily drink for 18 hours straight as a young lad without the need for a narcotic to keep going (although it helped :pac:) these days without a cheeky line or a half a yoke I'd be struggling to care if I was in a nightclub beyond 1am having only been out since early evening.

2003-2007 was a special time in dublin for rave.
    Clubs like Spirit, Redbox/Tripod, The vaults had big names weekly. That along with the many many secret partys that used to go on till the next afternoon sometimes later.

What a time to be alive. Memories that will stay with me forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Though we did go to Dublin the odd time there was a savage party scene in Clare/Galway at that time 2. Great memories not that I actually remember much!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

HenryHill wrote: »
    Clubs like Spirit, Redbox/Tripod, The vaults had big names weekly. That along with the many many secret partys that used to go on till the next afternoon sometimes later.

Boyfriend here beside me said he was a regular in both of those. When spirit opened first weekend it stayed open from friday 10pm all the way through to sunday 4am. If you had a cloakroom ticket from friday and showed it at the bar on sunday night you got a free bottle of champagne. Literally made for massive rollovers. Also the dancers on the podiums got their tits out. They dont make clubs like that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Anyone else get a perverse thrill in seeing people harm themselves with drugs?

I wouldn't call it a thrill but a certain smug satisfaction.

Schadenfreude I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

HenryHill wrote: »

Gosh, I wonder what years you were in college :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm high on life OP, you should try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Drug (including nicotine and alcohol) use is way down on what it was in the 90s and 00s - teenagers and those in their early twenties are a more responsible bunch apparently. I think there is a lot more pressure on them then there was when I was that age. I had free education, there was lots of part time work available and for my college mates who had to rent while studying there was enough rental accommodation around. Admin fees are 3/4 grand now, renting in cities and bigger towns in beyond a lot of students and part time work is only starting to pick up now. How can a young person afford to go drinking at the weekend, never-mind purchase illegal drugs. Also as someone mentioned they are a lot more image conscious these days and would be very concerned if someone took a pic of them off their nut and put it up on Facebook or Instagram. You get away with a lot less with social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. But you need a hell of a lot of discipline. Most people can't handle it, but some can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can't cope with the roll over any more

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

Anyone else get a perverse thrill in seeing people harm themselves with drugs? Party drugs I mean, like pills and cocaine, not social misery drugs like heroin.

There's a price to be paid for the hedonism...

Absolutely bizarre comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Got pretty much most of my drugging done in my teens. Young and fearless then, wouldn't be brave enough these days to touch anything with all the dodgy stuff going around.

• Advertisement

Libadour wrote: »
    Absolutely bizarre comment.

The piper must be paid and it can be quite gratifying to see.

Advertisement