Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use in early / mid Twenties

Options
  • 11-05-2017 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

So the area and pretty much every college city I visit I have seen drug use rampant in people my age. I'm 23. Can't say that I have never taken anything myself but I just got wondering is every generation the same during these years of your lives? I mean a good 80% of people my age I've met in the past 5 years are frequent users of some substance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

killanena wrote: »
    So the area and pretty much every college city I visit I have seen drug use rampant in people my age. I'm 23. Can't say that I have never taken anything myself but I just got wondering is every generation the same during these years of your lives? I mean a good 80% of people my age I've met in the past 5 years are frequent users of some substance.

Oh my  God. Is this despicable behaviour really happening? Yes, you are correct. Your generation invented all that bad/cool/dodgy stuff. Sex and drugs and the whole caboodle.

Wasn't like that in my day I tell ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't know if I agree with that sorry. For example there was essentially no drug use in Ireland during the 1950's, during the 1970's it was probably just a bit of wacky backy in urban areas. It's only really since the 1980's that Irish people have been doing hard drugs, and even at that it was only after then that drug use started to become acceptable to more and more people. Up to today where recreational drug use seems acceptable (excluding heroin) to probably the majority of people under 40.

As in, there's been a radical change in Ireland within a generation that wasn't there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know if I agree with that sorry. For example there was essentially no drug use in Ireland during the 1950's, during the 1970's it was probably just a bit of wacky backy in urban areas. It's only really since the 1980's that Irish people have been doing hard drugs, and even at that it was only after then that drug use started to become acceptable to more and more people. Up to today where recreational drug use seems acceptable (excluding heroin) to probably the majority of people under 40.

As in, there's been a radical change in Ireland within a generation that wasn't there before.

Not quite. Sure your poor old Granny, the Lord have mercy on her, used to go on about smoking crack cocaine back in college back in the day.

But that said, we know it's not exactly true. She never went to college for feck sake.

And sure you could hardly expect her to remember what she did in her late teens and early 20s what with all that crack smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The 1900 - 1950 were a bit of as dry spell, both after and before people have been happily taking all sorts. Ireland perhaps not so much but we've caught up with the rest of the developed world now. (That's not meant to be pejorative.)

OP try everything once, maybe not heroin; that's a bit moreish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Substance abuse? I love substances. I love abusing substances substantively.

Not quite. Sure your poor old Granny, the Lord have mercy on her, used to go on about smoking crack cocaine back in college back in the day.

But that said, we know it's not exactly true. She never went to college for feck sake.

And sure you could hardly expect her to remember what she did in her late teens and early 20s what with all that crack smoking!

I'm quite sure my granny (probably her mother tbh) would have had free and easy access to morphine. People forget heroin is a brand name.

417041.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Would Irish people have eaten many magic mushrooms back in the 1900s i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Certainly do not try everything except heroin - what about meth - freely available all over the place now, crack is too - so no, thats bad advice.

XTC is not what it used to be - but if anyone offers you any speckled mitsy's get about 50!

Speed is meh - hangover is not worth it.

Coke is too dear coz your poor.

If your looking for trips DMT is worth a go and getting very popular, mushrooms are always good and some nice herb never ever hurt anyone. When trippin, be with people who are good! As in good people who wont mess with you and know what they are doing, the more chemicals involved generally the worse it is for you, so make up your own mind after that!

Would Irish people have eaten many magic mushrooms back in the 1900s i wonder

Magic mushrooms are believed now to be the sole reason human brains doubled in size and we evolved into what we are now from stone age imbciles! So in response - I hope so!

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    Certainly do not try everything except heroine

Definitely try her - I like strong women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ardinn wrote:
    Magic mushrooms are believed now to be the sole reason human brains doubled in size and we evolved into what we are now from stone age imbciles! So in response - I hope so!

The Jungle Juice in the Peruvian forrests are responsible for that I believe.

The Jungle Juice in the Peruvian forrests are responsible for that I believe.

ayahuasca for the win - If I had the money i'd be gone in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

One thing in particular that has shocked me has been the growth of drug use in rural areas. It's not just a few boundary pushing teenagers that participate in recreational drug use but it seems to be a majority of men aged between 15-24 regularly taking.

It's incredibly disheartening to directly witness the effects on individuals you have grown up with and on the community in general. It's a huge reason why I abhor and oppose drugs on such an adamant level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've only ever smoked weed a handfull of times and that's it and a couple of those times it had no effect on me!

Once, I got into an uncontrollable laughter which was fun. The first time I tried it, I was at a bonfire with my friends and a joint was passed round and I was a bit stoned. There were some lads from the year above me in school there and I can't remember what we were talking about but the next day, one of them approached me and asked me to join their band :pac:

I was just never interested in trying any other drugs but I know lots of people who are more experimental and they treat it in moderation as a lot of people do with drink.

I've also seen people badly affected by drug use too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I think the difference is that these days it seems easier to get hard drugs then when I came of age. Hash, acid, e and speed were easily available but I never had coke at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One thing in particular that has shocked me has been the growth of drug use in rural areas. It's not just a few boundary pushing teenagers that participate in recreational drug use but it seems to be a majority of men aged between 15-24 regularly taking.

It's incredibly disheartening to directly witness the effects on individuals you have grown up with and on the community in general. It's a huge reason why I abhor and oppose drugs on such an adamant level.
    Remember the building boom? It was like everyone, absolutely everyone in the country was on drugs, you could go into the pub and see the priest dancing on the tables off his head on yolks. Every single small town that had a builder in it had a drug scene, it's a good job facebook wasn't a thing because when I look back on pictures from then and everyone is off their heads.

Once Ireland had the disposable income we spent it on drugs, and now those people are in their late 30, early 40s.

Unfortunately the harder drugs like cocaine, alcohol or yolks are a young person's game, that generation only do hard drugs on special occasions when they have the time, for many of them weed replaced alcohol.

If anything it's calmed down since the height of the building boom, people don't go as much as they did back then. Every single town was jammers with people, all off their heads and that's gone now. So there's no way kids today are any worse than we were, they're all quiet and sensible there's no madness in them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Previous generations used alcohol predominantly, a far more devastating and ultimately destructive drug than what young people today are using. And of course alcohol is the heavily advertised and admired drug in Irish society, as opposed to the big, bad dangerous drugs which can see you arrested and charged with a criminal conviction for possession of even a small amount.

Basically young people get screwed either way. They finally wise up to the fact that alcohol is a fool's drug, and far more dangerous than the new party drugs they have migrated to i.e. safer party drugs, and then have to deal with the results of this sensible decision by facing the legal dangers of using said drugs.

Previous generations used alcohol predominantly, a far more devastating and ultimately destructive drug than what young people today are using. And of course alcohol is the heavily advertised and admired drug in Irish society, as opposed to the big, bad dangerous drugs which can see you arrested and charged with a criminal conviction for possession of even a small amount.

Basically young people get screwed either way. They finally wise up to the fact that alcohol is a fool's drug, and far more dangerous than the new party drugs they have migrated to i.e. safer party drugs, and then have to deal with the results of this sensible decision by facing the legal dangers of using said drugs.
    I don't think we should be promoting the idea that the illegal drugs are safer than alcohol. Maybe in their pure form you might be able to make that argument, but illegal street drugs can be anything, they can have dangerous secondary chemicals added and so on.

Certainly making these drugs illegal just compounds any inherent dangers. It's just safer to regulate them no matter how opposed other are to them on moral grounds.

But they're at least as dangerous as alcohol, in some ways more dangerous, in others less dangerous, but they are certainly not safer than alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ardinn wrote: »

lol, where did you get that nugget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

J Mysterio wrote: »

From his kunst!!!

My experience is that a good deal of 16 - 25 year olds these days just don't abuse alcohol they way I did (and continue to do really). They just don't binge drink and they don't drink near as often. Kids these days are massively image conscious and health obsessed.

From his kunst!!!

Did you know that kunst is German for Art? There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Did you know that kunst is German for Art? There you go.

I do indeed, only the German language could make art sound like an insult…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Pretty sure he came up with that on shrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How can they go mad when every move is recorded?

Some of the states we got into on various things are only memories now

thank god:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Talking through yer hole here, I grew up in the late 70's early 80's in a group of 10 people, there were 6 heroin addicts and 2 alcoholics, 5 of the heroin addicts are dead, the 2 alco's are still flying, I'm the only junkie still alive, it took me over 20 years to get clean, so to say drink is more dangerous than drugs is in my opinion someone with no clue about either talking through their arsé.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Talking through yer hole here, I grew up in the late 70's early 80's in a group of 10 people, there were 6 heroin addicts and 2 alcoholics, 5 of the heroin addicts are dead, the 2 alco's are still flying, I'm the only junkie still alive, it took me over 20 years to get clean, so to say drink is more dangerous than drugs is in my opinion someone with no clue about either talking through their arsé.
    Well the problem is plenty of people have experience of people on drugs and people on alcohol. People who use drugs recreationally on a night out, tend to take something to get high, they get high, then enjoy that high. With alcohol you're constantly consuming the drug, you're getting more and more inebriated as the night goes on sometimes to the point you're not aware of what you're doing and you get into real trouble. With some drugs like LSD and even ecstasy you get high, then it ends, and you can't really get high again for a while, so doing more is pointless.

While people who use other drugs can do the same I don't think the likes of ecstasy encourages that sort of use, even with heroin it seems like you take you're high and ride it out. Although I have no experience with heroin, maybe I'm wrong.

Taking drink, leads to more drink, it's like snowball effect, the more you drink the more you want to drink, especially in young people. Alcohol is insidious, it can be friendly one minute and aggressive the next, with the other illegal drugs at least you know what you're getting, they sort of do exactly what it says on the tin so to speak. It's only really with consistent abuse that you start to see problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

If your doing it for like a bit of craic on a weekend I'd do a bit of Coke or if you can get some good E tabs.

If you wanna just chill I'd do some Opiates like Heroin or Morphine, or Benzo's like Xanax or Valium. Zopiclone can be intresting to.

Advertisement