Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use in early / mid Twenties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The piper must be paid and it can be quite gratifying to see.

You aren't a particularly nice person at all are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Quit feeding the troll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Gosh, I wonder what years you were in college :rolleyes:

Never made it to college chief, but i was 18-22 during those heady days.

WellThen? wrote: »
    Boyfriend here beside me said he was a regular in both of those. When spirit opened first weekend it stayed open from friday 10pm all the way through to sunday 4am. If you had a cloakroom ticket from friday and showed it at the bar on sunday night you got a free bottle of champagne. Literally made for massive rollovers. Also the dancers on the podiums got their tits out. They dont make clubs like that anymore.

Great times, sunday was the best night in spirit less scummers out. But them days dont last as time went on i witnessed more and more violence from coked up idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sometimes threads like this make me wonder if I grew up and exist in a parallel universe. I have never tried any illegal drugs and that's the case for nearly everyone I know well. A handful of friends have tried weed a couple of times but that's very much the exception. Drugs just were not the norm in my world at any stage. Now, on the other hand my brother is a heavy weed smoker, smokes every day. Plenty of neighbours were/are heroin addicts. I'm aware that benzos are a huge issue among women in my area. But drugs just never featured in my circle at school, college or parties. It's just never been a thing. It sems drugs were absolutely the norm for everyone else. I don't know how I missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But drugs just never featured in my circle at school, college or parties. It's just never been a thing. It sems drugs were absolutely the norm for everyone else. I don't know how I missed this.
    Drugs weren't a thing when I was in school either, I'd say I was 17 before I was even offered drugs (hash) for the first time, it was all hash back then and it was cheap and nasty, the stuff that was sold in Ireland was barely a drug so not really worth getting all that excited about. Drink and cigarettes ruled all and that's all we could get our hands on.

It was really people coming back from the UK that introduced proper drugs to Ireland and drugs didn't really seem to be a thing until yolks came along in the noughties. It was yolks and the building boom that gave Ireland its proper introduction to a drug scene and it was shocking how many people jumped on board. Cocaine and other stuff was there but rare enough at first, it was all about the yolks, you could have the most amazing night of your life for €10 compared to spending nearly €100 on drink and all the trouble that came with that drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

ScumLord wrote: »
    Drugs weren't a thing when I was in school either, I'd say I was 17 before I was even offered drugs (hash) for the first time, it was all hash back then and it was cheap and nasty, the stuff that was sold in Ireland was barely a drug so not really worth getting all that excited about. Drink and cigarettes ruled all and that's all we could get our hands on.

It was really people coming back from the UK that introduced proper drugs to Ireland and drugs didn't really seem to be a thing until yolks came along in the noughties. It was yolks and the building boom that gave Ireland its proper introduction to a drug scene and it was shocking how many people jumped on board. Cocaine and other stuff was there but rare enough at first, it was all about the yolks, you could have the most amazing night of your life for €10 compared to spending nearly €100 on drink and all the trouble that came with that drug.

And it all seems to have passed me by with the exception of the raging local heroin problem of the 80s and later benzos being sold at the local shop. I just don't know anyone who partook in any of this other drug scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

darced wrote: »
    The pills now are much much stronger than back in the day, I read before that a lot of the pills from 1995-2005 were actually high in MDA rather than MDMA which gave a slightly different effect. Today lots of the pills are tested and 100% pure MDMA and high levels too. On a whim I took one on a night out about 6 months ago that apparently wasn't even strong by today's standards and put it this way you wouldn't be taking 5 of these like back in 1999.

MDA gives energy and MDMA gives the loved up feeling.

I dunno if high levels of MDA was intented , the synthetic method for MDMA is quite easy but to convert MDA to MDMA could be dangerous outside of a lab.

ScumLord wrote: »

I notice ( might not be intentional) that people like to seperate alcohol and drugs like people either use one or the other. In my experience of Dublin 2003 onwards you had a great night with 10 euro of pills and 100 euro of drink (mostly the next afternoon).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Demforeigners

ardinn wrote: »
    ayahuasca for the win - If I had the money i'd be gone in the morning!

Absolutely would have a few years ago but there are a few dubious individuals that have caught on to the whole hype of it and they are setting up shop. Lots of horror stories of women getting sexually abused.

jh79 wrote: »
    I notice ( might not be intentional) that people like to seperate alcohol and drugs like people either use one or the other. In my experience of Dublin 2003 onwards you had a great night with 10 euro of pills and 100 euro of drink (mostly the next afternoon).

That's a good point.
    The term "drug" tends to cause problems. People like to separate their use of alcohol, tobacco and caffeine away from what is percieved as drug use.
    Tell someone you like a cigarette/cigar and a glass of wine or few whiskeys and nobody bats an eyelid. Tell them you like to wind down in the evening with a smoke of cannabis and they look at you like you're on the fast track, rocky road to destitution and homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Being grown up now getting in to my late 30's with 2 kids the only thing I would take on a special occasion like a wedding or a stag would be a bit of coke.
    Quite enjoyable but would only be taken maybe once or twice a year.

Spent the best part of my late teens and early 20's stoned off my face on hash everyday and pills on the weekend.

15 waterfalls a day for a good few years and it ruined me, my last year on that stuff was a nightmare.
    I was a shadow of my former self and practically a recluse for the last year.

A heart to heart with a lifelong friend one night ,the group I grew up with never took drugs , I had drifted away over the few years and the next morning I gave it all up .
    kept away from the group I was smoking with And started going to the pub and going out with the lads I grew up with again and snapping out of it, took a long time for that to happen, I don't I will ever recover 100% I think I am about 95% now and I'm happy with that :-P

I've seen hash ruin a few people and it destroys personalities, mainly because you can do it all day everyday.

I think anything on a weekend is fine in moderation.
    Daily binges on any drug and you will be a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 General Butt Naked

Absolutely would have a few years ago but there are a few dubious individuals that have caught on to the whole hype of it and they are setting up shop. Lots of horror stories of women getting sexually abused.

Let me guess, dumb westerners trying to take part in some Indian initiation rite in the rain forest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nope, actually dodgy south American shamans

That's a good point.
    The term "drug" tends to cause problems. People like to separate their use of alcohol, tobacco and caffeine away from what is percieved as drug use.
    Tell someone you like a cigarette/cigar and a glass of wine or few whiskeys and nobody bats an eyelid. Tell them you like to wind down in the evening with a smoke of cannabis and they look at you like you're on the fast track, rocky road to destitution and homelessness.

While i agree with you that wasn't the point i was trying to make.

Normal use of pills involves alcohol too, it's not an alternative but used as an addition to the alcohol and if anything more alcohol. Coke too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

A couple of Dutch friends of mine did Ayahuasca with Shamans in Amsterdam, it's more popular there. Not sure if it would be my cup of tea but sounds like a pretty intense experience. I've taken mushrooms and LSD which I enjoyed alright. Personally I think most drugs are ok in moderation.

jh79 wrote: »
    While i agree with you that wasn't the point i was trying to make.

Normal use of pills involves alcohol too, it's not an alternative but used as an addition to the alcohol and if anything more alcohol. Coke too.

If anything cocaine just facilitates your ability to keep drinking for hours on end without getting too drunk. And I never took a pill without drinking all night either, I never knew anyone to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭thomas 123

In total agreement with OP. Im of a similar age, Place is rife with drugs. and not talking about maryjane

Sure its cheaper than getting drunk really. I also refuse to partake and as a result really limit whom i go out with, Ive avoided going out with lot of friends over the years because I know they would be at it.

Another thing i find strange is these days when i do pills or coke (the coke i do is high purity not mixed garbage) i cannot sleep whatsoever thats what puts me off doing it at this stage. Back in the day i could swallow ten e with few lines of coke on top and sleep like a baby.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I would rather stick needles in my eyeballs, and I seriously question anyone who does take illegal drugs.

How do you even know what's in the drugs? Do you have your own tracing system? At least with legal substances there are regulations in place.

Do you think nothing harmful could be in them? What if it was something damaging or that upped your risk of horrible illness or cancer that would only affect a tiny minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

I imagine drugs in the early/mid twenties were pretty popular. Now see here, you dirty rat, you either gots the kaboodles to nab them noodle-juice makers or not, seeeeee?!

So whaddaya say, kid, whaddaya see?!

I would rather stick needles in my eyeballs, and I seriously question anyone who does take illegal drugs.

How do you even know what's in the drugs? Do you have your own tracing system? At least with legal substances there are regulations in place.

Do you think nothing harmful could be in them? What if it was something damaging or that upped your risk of horrible illness or cancer that would only affect a tiny minority?

You are very out of touch with reality, do you honestly think people dont think taking drugs is bad for their health?

Everyone that takes drugs knows they can be harmful but that thought stops no one from doing them.

Like the smokers, and people that take prescription and OTC drugs they all cause an amount of harm aswell as good.

Im having a glass of water just now, ive no idea whats in it but im going to drink it.

Is you problem the drugs themselves or the fact they are illegal?
    Most things are perfectly fine in moderation and pretty harmful if abused. The legality of it is neither here nor there.
    Take cocaine every day and you'll ruin yourself.... Drink vodka every day and you'll ruin yourself.... Eat McDonalds everyday and you'll ruin yourself.
    Moderation is key.
    The problem you point out of not actually knowing what is in it all the time is a problem caused by the illegality of the substance in question. These things should be decriminalised at minimum and ideally legalised. That way there can be some sort of quality control and the added bonus of taking revenue streams away from drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Is you problem the drugs themselves or the fact they are illegal?
    Most things are perfectly fine in moderation and pretty harmful if abused. The legality of it is neither here nor there.
    Take cocaine every day and you'll ruin yourself.... Drink vodka every day and you'll ruin yourself.... Eat McDonalds everyday and you'll ruin yourself.
    Moderation is key.

Moderation isn't always a good policy, for example moderately smoking isn't a good idea. Moderate heroin taking isn't a good idea. Sure you can always redefine "moderation" to mean what you want it to mean, but that defeats the purpose of saying "moderation is key", since it's basically just saying "anything that is okay is okay", it's not saying anything at all.
    The problem you point out of not actually knowing what is in it all the time is a problem caused by the illegality of the substance in question. These things should be decriminalised at minimum and ideally legalised. That way there can be some sort of quality control and the added bonus of taking revenue streams away from drug dealers.

No, that doesn't follow.

Just because legalizing them would solve that problem doesn't mean it's a good idea overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

I really don't get why people are looking at this as something light - a lot of young men are turning to hard drugs because they're lonely and depressed.

It's not like they're taking yokes once in a blue moon, a lot of us are doing them throughout most of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

jh79 wrote:

You can't drink alcohol while high on tabs or MDMA it's almost impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No it's not.

It's harder get drunk alright most drink more than they normally would. The sessions tend to last the weekend.

• Advertisement

Advertisement