Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So who is doing Jingle Bells? I feel I did a bit much too fast over the last couple of weeks so I'll be throttling back for the next 2 weeks. Not sure it's ideal prep and might only do it if it's a chance to meet a few of the crew.

I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    I am.

Think Sheep is as well. Lazare, Brown eyes and RD are you in? Damo? Leesider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Positron, well done. Sounds a bit crazy in a good way. A good experience i’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Don't think I can make it. It's a Saturday morning which is pretty much a no go for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I have signed up for it but my work Xmas party is the Friday night before so whether I will make it is a different question.

Just doing slow easy miles at the minute. Niggles everywhere.

• Advertisement

I have signed up for it but my work Xmas party is the Friday night before so whether I will make it is a different question.

Just doing slow easy miles at the minute. Niggles everywhere.

I feel your pain. I went back at it a bit hard. The knee started to act up yesterday so I stopped straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

I still haven't run post-dcm. I did a yoga class last week and that's the sum total of my activities :cool:

I have an S&C assessment this evening. And i've arrangements to meet a friend for a very easy 5k tomorrow evening. I'll see how the knee is for that and take it from there. It'll be a slow comeback but i want to get strong now that's my priority. I hope to do another marathon at some point so now it's about minimising the injury risk and getting strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

@skyblue46 it's a yes to Jingle Bells from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I cant make Jingle Bells but am up for some parkrun tourism at any stage if anyone is interested. While doing my 12 week S&C program, Im only allowed to run 5kms so will need to keep myself motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I will be on stewarding duties at Jingle Bells this year.....hopefully see some of you back at the club for tea and cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am raging I will miss Jingle bells it would have been nice to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just signed up for it there.

Xmas party that night too, perfect.

I'm on the wrong side of the country for Jingle Bells.

Is anyone else disillusioned with the training gains. I know i had injury issues but i did my 1st run post DCM last night, 5km nice & easy but which ended up being recovery pace and honestly it didn't feel hard but it definitely didn't feel like recovery pace and my HR didn't look like recovery pace either :o

No regrets over DCM but just thought I'd have gained fitness and now i feel like i've lost fitness :cool:

Also did my s&c assessment, no surprises, there's plenty to work on :rolleyes: Tight hams, quads, hip flexors. Weak glutes, core (sorry no core :o). Everything was 20% worse on the RHS which was no surprise. Could see the right foot tracking outwards when i was doing a squat :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ariana` wrote: »
    Is anyone else disillusioned with the training gains. I know i had injury issues but i did my 1st run post DCM last night, 5km nice & easy but which ended up being recovery pace and honestly it didn't feel hard but it definitely didn't feel like recovery pace and my HR didn't look like recovery pace either :o

No regrets over DCM but just thought I'd have gained fitness and now i feel like i've lost fitness :cool:

Give it 6-7 weeks after the marathon before you make a judgement. Recovery from such an effort is a slow process.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Yes, I would have also lost pace for the shorter stuff after my first dcm a few years back. Took me quite a while to get back to where I was prior to dcm.
    The important thing here is that we are all different so don't compare yourself to others. I saw those around me making these huge gains off the back of dcm but not for me. You'll get there at your own pace, but you will get there if you put the work in, so don't worry.
    Try and forget pace altogether for the moment as it'll do your head in comparing yourself to your previous self. Relax and run by effort to a truly easy effort.

You have just put your body through the absolute ringer doing the marathon. You will see major gains once you have fully recovered this might not be until early Jan though.

Don't be disillusioned with how are you doing just now.

Also did my s&c assessment, no surprises, there's plenty to work on :rolleyes: Tight hams, quads, hip flexors. Weak glutes, core (sorry no core :o). Everything was 20% worse on the RHS which was no surprise. Could see the right foot tracking outwards when i was doing a squat :cool:

Give it 6-7 weeks after the marathon before you make a judgement. Recovery from such an effort is a slow process.
    ultrawoman wrote: »
    Yes, I would have also lost pace for the shorter stuff after my first dcm a few years back. Took me quite a while to get back to where I was prior to dcm.
    The important thing here is that we are all different so don't compare yourself to others. I saw those around me making these huge gains off the back of dcm but not for me. You'll get there at your own pace, but you will get there if you put the work in, so don't worry.
    Try and forget pace altogether for the moment as it'll do your head in comparing yourself to your previous self. Relax and run by effort to a truly easy effort.
    You have just put your body through the absolute ringer doing the marathon. You will see major gains once you have fully recovered this might not be until early Jan though.

Don't be disillusioned with how are you doing just now.

Thanks y'all. Great reassurance. I guess i just expected to be flying and instead i feel heavy footed and slow. But i will heed all your advice and I'm sure it'll come in time. Looking forward to getting stuck into some s&c work for now and maybe starting a 5k plan or other early in the new year. It'll all work out no doubt, it sounds like patience is the order of the day for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If I'm honest I don't believe marathon training improved me as a runner in the short term. I was definitely slower over shorter distances after it . That said I can comfortably run distances now that I wouldn't have ran before .

My own belief is that we are all different and what improves one person will not necessarily improve another and there are those of us who will never be quick but may have strengths in other areas.

So all that "guaranteed a PB at Jingle Bells" talk was balls then??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I don’t feel anywhere near as fast as pre marathon, but others have explained here that it takes it’s time to come back.
    Part of the fun of running for me is setting a goal and achieving it , if Im slower so be it I’ll aim for sub 20 instead of sub 18. The arbitrary time doesn’t matter so much I’m not out to keep up with anyone else or try win races I get the same buzz going from 23-22 as 21-20mins for parkrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to runing.

I can feel the benefits in the legs and know I have made huge advances. Truth be told I'm also feeling the after shocks of running a marathon and have belatedly accepted that a good period of recovery is needed. Like others I was all over the idea of the Jingle Bells PB for 5k. It may happen, it may not but if it does it won't be as a result of me doing speed work in the interim.

I've been increasing distance, pace and frequency of runs since April. The crescendo was DCM. In any sport there is an off season where the effort levels drop. This next couple of months will be mine. It would be unreasonable of me to expect my body to cope with increased miles, intensity and frequency from April '17 to October '18 without a break. The benefits of the last 6 months won't be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I think the injury issues might go a long way to explaining your situation Ariana. it's been close to 6 weeks since you were training properly iirc. That and you will be stale and tired from the marathon. it sounds counterintuitive but something I've found from experience is that I often feel slow and terrible from any time off, even after 2 days off and start to feel better as I get back into it. A little patience, a few weeks training and you should be back on the horse.

As for everyone else, just because the marathon is over doesn't mean everyone can go buck wild and start doing crazy sh!t, We're all still reading;). Now is not the time to be going out belting out races and huge workouts, it's time to recover and recovery takes time after a marathon both mentally and physically. All your focus right now should be on just getting out doing a few easy miles to clear the head rather than for the purpose of training. Usually, people won't do any workouts for 3-4 weeks after a marathon and more like 4-5 for a race. Take it easy for the time being and give your body the rest it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

So who is doing Jingle Bells? I feel I did a bit much too fast over the last couple of weeks so I'll be throttling back for the next 2 weeks. Not sure it's ideal prep and might only do it if it's a chance to meet a few of the crew.

I just signed up but I won’t be racing it, would be nice to have a meet up with everyone

I just signed up but I won’t be racing it, would be nice to have a meet up with everyone

Ah great! So it'll be a jog for you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So all that "guaranteed a PB at Jingle Bells" talk was balls then??? :eek::eek::eek:

Nah. I did a 30 second PB at Jingle Bells, in very windy conditions, after my novice DCM. Took another 30 seconds off that a few weeks later at the Christmas Cracker 5k in Santry. Mostly just had the marathon miles in my legs. The net downhill at Jingle Bells also helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm gonna have a good crack at it anyway. It will be my first ever 5k race. Really looking forward to it.

Not at all similar to Singer I took a nice chunk off my 5km PB at Jingle Bells last year after the marathon....Looking back at last November I hit the dizzy heights of 68km for the month!

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm gonna have a good crack at it anyway. It will be my first ever 5k race. Really looking forward to it.

Me too. It *is* a guaranteed PB when it's your first! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Ah great! So it'll be a jog for you? ;)

It will be my usual 9min/mile pace which is probably a slow slow jog for you :P
    Can’t see my legs holding up anything quicker!

Advertisement