Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you really need a car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

funny enough my car broke down at the start of march, worked out it was costing too much per week to run so i took it off the road. An hour on bus to college rather than 10 mins by car. waiting around in all kinds of weather never knowing if you will even get a seat. Bus into town for shopping then requires lots of walking around town plus avoiding going to certain shops cos they are 15 mins walk out of the way.
    More standing around waiting for a taxi home. lots and lots of walking during the bus strike. Not really able to pop to local retail park to grab something cos its either a taxi, an hour bus or hour and a bit walk.

so basically am kicking myself for not keeping car on the road, will be saving to get it repaired and back on road asap and will never, ever do without it again.

I'd be completely lost without a car, its a absolute requirement for many aspects of my life and would cause considerable hardship to others aspects not having it.

Aside from all that I just don't like public transport, or getting wet/exerting massive effort etc that would be required for cycling (if it was practical).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yes, I move around for work. If I didn't need one, I wouldn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Wonderful contributions so far, keep them coming :)

You set the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Do you really need a car?

No. Do I want a car? Yes.
    • Save so much time commuting and can time arrival perfectly.
    • Can wear a suit and have hair looking sharp for work.
    • Warm and dry, can listen to podcasts or music.
    • Can pop to the shops whenever needed.
    • Can visit different parts of the country on a whim.
    • Can go on a night out and drive home afterwards.

Besides all of the practicality issues, some people enjoy driving and their car is a hobby and extension of their personality.

Would you cut your grass with a scissors? I don't think so. Cars, just like any technology make life so much easier . . . get over it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Probably don't but it would dramatically change my life for the worst I'd imagine if I didn't have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

last year when my insurance went to a grand. I decided to call it a day and cycle everywhere. Problem is I lived out the the country side and my commute was 32km so that was 64km a day just to cycle to work. I was fit so did it no problem. although I struggled on windy days.
    The real problem with cycling is how long it takes. took me 1 to 1.5 hours to cycle that distance 20 min to setup in the morning all my equipment. then 20 min to get setup in work (shower). so i was getting up at 6.15 in the morning when I used my car i got up at 7.30 am.
    did it for 6 months but back to car now sadly. hated getting up so early and going to bed early as-well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I do genuinely need one. Self employed with many clients that I visit in their homes or places of work. Hate when someone wants to meet me in city. Nightmare. Hardly ever drive in unless I have to be somewhere else straight after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Get yourself a Mk.1 MR2 and head up to the Sally Gap OP. Up and back for your sins.

Mk2 ftw ;)

I wouldn't be able to live without a car no. I rely on it heavily.

I probably don't need more than one but hey, I like cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The AH take on things is generally I live half an hour bike ride to college, exist on the local takeaway and never want kids.

Therefore cars are evil and everybody should cycle everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

anna080 wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with people feeling more secure in their cars and free from observation. After a long day at work where you've been talking to people all day, the last thing you want to do is get on a bus and perhaps see someone you know, or risk someone sitting beside you talking crap. You want to sit in your car, turn on the radio, talk to yourself, sing, and just take your mask off and be yourself. Public transport just prolonges the social charade that you've already been a part of all day.

Public transport makes you that uncomfortable? I guess it depends what type it is but the Dart is fine, I used to enjoy the tube in London when I lived there too, weirdo that I am. I can understand long bus journeys being uncomfortable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I used to get public transport to work and prefered it to driving. It was a handy time to listen to music, read and daydream - in fact, it was one of the few times in the day you weren't surrounded by colleagues, friends or family.

Not sure how a 'social charade' comes into it unless you are busking or preaching on it everyday.

Not sure how a 'social charade' comes into it unless you are busking or preaching on it everyday.

I know, you sit down and shut the f*ck up. Unless you've some serious neurosis I don't get the problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Public transport makes you that uncomfortable? I guess it depends what type it is but the Dart is fine, I used to enjoy the tube in London when I lived there too, weirdo that I am. I can understand long bus journeys being uncomfortable though.

When I'd get the bus it was usually a 40min journey which stopped every ten mins to collect people/drop people off. I now make that journey in about 25mins. I'd almost always meet someone from school or see a friend of my parents or something, and after a long days slog where you're fed up talking sh!t, it used to put the dreds in me to the point where this was the sole motivation for me learning to drive. Once in your car, you retreat back into your most natural, uncivil and animalistic self. It's just human behaviour. And I'd say this is the sole reason why some people will always forgo public transport for private ownership.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If I lived near water I'd be selling my car and getting one of these.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I absolutely do need a car but never use it for commuting, I'd hate to. Much better switching off on the bus and having a nap

anna080 wrote: »
    And I'd say this is the sole reason why some people will always forgo public transport for private ownership.

No way, I never ever meet people on either bus route or Dart. It could be just the route you're on or something. Anyway even if I did it wouldn't bother me.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That sounds a bit OTT to me. I mean if every family had that many cars the place would be an even bigger mess. You can barely drive down many estates because the roads are clogged with parked cars.
    Do you really think it's sustainable for families to have 2 or 3 cars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Buy a motorbike/scooter and turn that 2 hrs commute into 30 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My commute is approx 70 miles to work, If I was to get public transport it would take me nearly 4+ hours just to get to work and thats if I am lucky so I dont have a choice but to have a car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Do I REALLY need it? No.
    While I live outside of Cork, I do have public transport available and can get to work without a car. However, the journey on public transport is 1.5 hours each way, a total of 3 hours a day.
    The journey in the car is half an hour each way.
    It's not really a journey I could easily cycle, either, unfortunately.

But I do try and minimise impact : I drive an electric car, and I drive myself, my husband and a neighbour to work as we all work in pretty much the same area.

That said, I do miss the comfort of public transport. After a long day at work, you can just sit back, get a book out of your bag and lose yourself in it until you get home. You don't have to face the madness and terror that is Irish rush-hour every day.
    If the public transport journey time was a little more reasonable, I would not bother with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No way, I never ever meet people on either bus route or Dart. It could be just the route you're on or something. Anyway even if I did it wouldn't bother me.

I guess you are not as anti social as I am! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've a car and would rather not be without it, but I don't need it. It probably gets used on average once a week. I'd rather use pretty much any other method of transport than my car to commute. But then I live on the LUAS line, work in the city, and prefer to run or cycle into town anyway. It would be a bit silly to apply my own circumstances to everyone else and conclude that they don't need cars.

I have no doubt that there are people who drive into work out of pure laziness, when there are quicker, cheaper alternatives. But I'd be hard pressed to believe that this is the cause of the majority of traffic on the roads or even close to it. Most people are perfectly capable of choosing the most appropriate method of transport for their circumstances. If you want to get people out of cars (which I'd fully support), then you need to provide a better alternative. For many people, there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

I could do with a car, it would be handy, but it's definitely not a necessity as the busses in Cork city pass college and the city. Sometimes I walk the 3km to college and get soaked when the busses are delayed. Days like that I wouldn't mind a little mini for myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I feel as though I should get one.

But the bus to work is as fast as a car, and I'm on the Dart line, and I have no nippers to ferry about. So practically I'm fine.

But Its a bit emasculating to be almost thirty and not a motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I went without a car for about a year once upon a time a long time ago.
    It sucked. Never again.
    My car makes my life easier. Life without it is miserable. So yeah -I need my car.

Advertisement