Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you really need a car?

• 03-05-2017 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Now I know a lot of people have no other way of getting to work and stuff, but I think there are a lot of people clogging the roads every day that don't really need to be. There's a girl at work who has started driving in from Finglas every day, we work in the city centre, and is quite happy to sit in ridiculous traffic for an hour or more every morning. Single occupancy too. This isn't an isolated case in my work either, quite a few people do it. I used to live out that way and bus took about 30 mins max into town even at rush hour.
    She earns way less than me and must be paying 1000s in insurance. Why are people so adamant to be driving? I have use of a family car when I need it, which I may use once every week or two to go for a spin but that's about all. I usually regret it as Saturday and Sunday afternoons can sometimes be really clogged on the roads with arseholes (like me) driving around aimlessly.
    I cycle to work most days, and nearly all the cars seem to only have one person in them. I remember talking to a girl online a few months ago who drove into town every morning from Artane ffs! That's about 6km, you could walk it in less than an hour. She said she didn't mind sitting in the traffic for ages because it was nice and warm.
    This kind of thing almost makes me favour a congestion charge in Dublin, if the money was put to good use to get the roads flowing.
    So could you do without your car? And how are people willing to pay these mental insurance prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No I'd be lost without mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

No I'd be lost without mine.

You're that reliant on sat nav?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You're that reliant on sat nav?
    Yes

Yes

Wonderful contributions so far, keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Some people just like cars. They are not only an appliance although the plethora of diesel show ponies would lead you to think otherwise.

Get yourself a Mk.1 MR2 and head up to the Sally Gap OP. Up and back for your sins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

This kind of thing almost makes me favour a congestion charge in Dublin
    Can't drive! Won't drive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

So you want to tax other people. Nobody thinks like that ever.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Some people just like cars. They are not only an appliance although the plethora of diesel show ponies would lead you to think otherwise.

Get yourself a Mk.1 MR2 and head up to the Sally Gap OP. Up and back for your sins.

I don't understand about 3/4 of that. Should we not be encouraging ways of getting people out of cars though? It would hardly be feasible for every adult to have a car on the road! I know we don't have the infrastructure for it now but hopefully one day!

diomed wrote: »
    So you want to tax other people. Nobody thinks like that ever.

No but for people who need to drive to town, trades people etc, the roads are only going to get worse and worse, maybe discouraging single occupancy drivers on certain routes that don't need their car for their job and are served well with transport may be something that needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm a country bumpkin and so have zero choice and need a car for getting to work, bringing kids to school etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Public transport is an inferior good, as economists would define it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

no , thats why i got myself a motorcycle , best of both worlds , no sitting in traffic, no parking fees , cheap tax ... list goes on .

pudzey101 wrote: »
    no , thats why i got myself a motorcycle , best of both worlds , no sitting in traffic, no parking fees , cheap tax ... list goes on .

Yes, good man, I really don't understand why more people don't use motorbikes and scooters and electric bicycles. So much faster and economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Depends where you live. In Dublin you may get away with relying on public transport but if you live in Not Dublin a car is pretty much essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't understand about 3/4 of that. Should we not be encouraging ways of getting people out of cars though? It would hardly be feasible for every adult to have a car on the road! I know we don't have the infrastructure for it now but hopefully one day!

He means.

Some people like driving, like taking a sports car up the twisty mountains roads.

Some people look at cars for more than just transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Yes, good man, I really don't understand why more people don't use motorbikes and scooters and electric bicycles. So much faster and economical.

Dublin in the future. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes. Besides there not being any public transport near where I live, I'd have to be given a very very compelling case to get rid of my wheels. Though on the other hand, maybe I'm better off with no public transport near me. It keeps the rheumy-eyed junkies confined to Dublin Bus and away from us out in the sthicks.

Dublin in the future. :D

Well I'd rather that than sitting in a car park that's not moving every morning like it is in parts of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... but I think there are a lot of people clogging the roads every day that don't really need to be...

I know someone who drives 30 mins in heavy traffic to work. Hes a 15 min walk at most from work.

A lot of people will take the laziest option. Its human nature. They will have to be forced out of their cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Need? Need? It stops my ar5e dragging on the tarmac and has 250hp. There's no need involved. It's compulsory. I'd rather give up oxygen as being "unnecessary".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I reckon we need to go back to horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think it's common for people who feel like they're being looked at on public transport or are anxious about being approached by nasty strangers to be happy sitting in traffic jams in the security blanket of their own car

I live in rural Ireland, so obviously yes, we need two cars like most households around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I live in rural Ireland, so obviously yes, we need two cars like most households around here.

Do ye drive in convey or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »
    Depends where you live. In Dublin you may get away with relying on public transport but if you live in Not Dublin a car is pretty much essential.

I live in Dublin and I'd be lost without the car. 3 hours commute vs half an hour isn't much of a contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Another detached from Ireland Dub, who can't understand why the rest of Ireland doesn't just take the Luas, or the train, or Dublin Bus, or just walk. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I was in charge of the world there would be a complete and total ban on private car ownership, public transport for the public and leave the roads to the rest of us

......... wrote: »
    Another detached from Ireland Dub, who can't understand why the rest of Ireland doesn't just take the Luas, or the train, or Dublin Bus, or just walk. :rolleyes:

Maybe read my posts before rolling your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Take away the car and where will the Government get tax revenue in the shape of VRT/VAT on the purchase price of a vehicle, VAT & excise duty on fuel (over 60c of every ?1 in fuel is tax), VAT and levies on motor insurance premiums, tolls, motor tax, traffic fines and NCT/CVR test fees? Motorists have been bled by the government for decades in the form of taxes which go towards the cost of running the country. Lose that revenue and they will need to take it from somewhere else, ie increased income tax, etc.

Be Careful what you wish for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They've a lot in common with cyclists!

Cyclists don't shiit on the roads, I have seen them urinate sideways off their bikes alright.

Advertisement