Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen who sued soccer club for trauma after he was dropped loses case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Classic Corkman hubris it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

How on earth does this even get to court?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    How on earth does this even get to court?!!
    A bank account never refused money. You can get anything to court if you're willing to pay the legal costs no matter how ludicrous your legal team tells you it is.

Parchment wrote: »
    Poor son and wife. The dads behaviour smacks of a controlling person - im sure this is only the tip if the iceberg with this man.

It's probably the da alright driving the thing but I doubt the mother is a passenger in this either who deserved our sympathy...article I read said that there was a commotion at the match in question when she realised he was dropped...think that's what I read anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The son was clearly happy enough to go along with it.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    A bank account never refused money. You can get anything to court if you're willing to pay the legal costs no matter how ludicrous your legal team tells you it is.

This case seems to suggest that alright but who's to say their legal team were against the case in the first place? If they felt like that surely they just wouldn't take the case? I've been down this type of road before on after hours and gotten into knots though so going to be very careful on this one🙄!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

1) Get dropped from the team

2) Have an absolute bellend for an oul fella

3) ????????

4) PROFIT!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pjohnson wrote: »

With over bearing parents he could be conditioned to do what he is told. He probably doesn't have an original thought in his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

As Timmy Ryan would say "he'll know all about it next year, when he's playing under 14s"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its time those who fail to win these cases are hit for the costs, otherwise this nonsense will never end.

There has to be a deterrent of some kind to clear the courts for real cases.

Once a few nutters start losing a few thousand over a stupid claim, they might stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

pjohnson wrote: »

He's only 18 now and presumably the case was going on a while.

Very much sounds like the father being the dominant influence.

I've seen and heard of stuff going on re: parents of schoolboy footballers that beggars belief. Threats and even assault once.

Some 'parents' just live and compete vicariously through their children.

The really awful thing about it as well is that they could have finished off the club financially if they'd won, leaving so many kids in limbo without a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its time those who fail to win these cases are hit for the costs, otherwise this nonsense will never end.

There has to be a deterrent of some kind to clear the courts for real cases.

Once a few nutters start losing a few thousand over a stupid claim, they might stop.

The only problem with that is that people could end up afraid to take cases even if justified, because of fear of having to lose their home in order to pay costs, which can mount up very quickly. That doesn't mean, however, that they couldn't at least make some contribution based on their income and assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Growing up, thank God my parents didn't push me into sports-I was crap at em and I would have been more rubbish trying for a team. But the absolute twankers (not a typo, an amalgamation)you would encounter-the kids and the dads, were unreal.

One of the most 'memorable' occassions I remember was coming into sixth class one day-and seeing the class 'gobsh!te' sporting a massive black eye-like, seriously black. Didn't know what happened-found out a few days later.
    Basically, he'd been at training, for the football club, days before-one half of the team versus the other. Well, the dad who was training em that day, his kid was on the team. The GS and the trainer's kid were involved in a scuffle on the pitch, like not a fight, but a tackle-the dad said the tackle was a foul, the GS said it wasn't-and was holding the ball. He started running around the pitch with the ball, saying it wasn't a foul and should play on. The dad ran after him, and punched him right in the eye. The Dad was in his 40s, the kid was maybe 11, possibly 12. Needless to say, there was was talk between fathers, but the GS's dad didn't do too much-he'd had a heart attack that year.

The other guy continued to train the club.

This kid-tbh, it sounds like the dad was a total idiot. Like, what did he expect-money? His son to be reinstated on the team? He'd be the biggest lad on the under 13s, thats for sure. He should take a note out of the pages of people like Michael Jordan. Dropped from the basketball team as a teen, he pushed himself to be better than the others. Now he's a superstar.
    Or Kieran Donaghy. Or Didier Drogba-they pushed themselves, never gave up.

This guy sounds like he'd be the 'you're a total lesbian!' if a girl said no to him.

Growing up, thank God my parents didn't push me into sports-I was crap at em and I would have been more rubbish trying for a team. But the absolute twankers (not a typo, an amalgamation)you would encounter-the kids and the dads, were unreal.

One of the most 'memorable' occassions I remember was coming into sixth class one day-and seeing the class 'gobsh!te' sporting a massive black eye-like, seriously black. Didn't know what happened-found out a few days later.
    Basically, he'd been at training, for the football club, days before-one half of the team versus the other. Well, the dad who was training em that day, his kid was on the team. The GS and the trainer's kid were involved in a scuffle on the pitch, like not a fight, but a tackle-the dad said the tackle was a foul, the GS said it wasn't-and was holding the ball. He started running around the pitch with the ball, saying it wasn't a foul and should play on. The dad ran after him, and punched him right in the eye. The Dad was in his 40s, the kid was maybe 11, possibly 12. Needless to say, there was was talk between fathers, but the GS's dad didn't do too much-he'd had a heart attack that year.

The other guy continued to train the club.

This kid-tbh, it sounds like the dad was a total idiot. Like, what did he expect-money? His son to be reinstated on the team? He'd be the biggest lad on the under 13s, thats for sure. He should take a note out of the pages of people like Michael Jordan. Dropped from the basketball team as a teen, he pushed himself to be better than the others. Now he's a superstar.
    Or Kieran Donaghy. Or Didier Drogba-they pushed themselves, never gave up.

This guy sounds like he'd be the 'you're a total lesbian!' if a girl said no to him.

On a vaguely related note, an ironic thing I've noticed (my kids play schoolboy football in Dublin with games all over) is the most badly-behaved coaches and kids I've witnessed have been far more likely to be from really well-to-do areas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

What I did do was email the coach, thank him for his time, and ask him for feedback on her performance that day to improve her chances at her next trials. I also brought her to the game she missed out on so that she could cheer her friends on.

I was very positive with her but also told her if she really wanted this, she would need to work extra hard and train extra smart. She upped her game big time and ended up with an invite to play in the states during the summer.

Great advice. If he feels being dropped cost him a professional career he simply didnt have the attitude to make it across the water even if he was as skillful as Messi. The dad sounds intolerable too.

Similar happened with Seamus Coleman as Sligo, manager changed in close season, (Rob McDonald) said your not in my plans and should go out on loan. Coleman said he would fight for his place. Forget the circumstances, but McDonald had one competitive game in charge, Paul Cook came in and teenager Coleman wasn't long nailing a starting spot and well... id say you know the rest. Attitude is everything in professional sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

cml387 wrote: »
    I was always picked last for kickabouts at school.
    I never recovered from the stigma.
    However now I see some hope. $$$$$$$$!!!!!!

To be fair your kicking skills were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Parchment wrote: »
    Poor son and wife. The dads behaviour smacks of a controlling person - im sure this is only the tip if the iceberg with this man.

The wife sounds as bad, according to the article she threw a sh?tfit at the new manager when the son was dropped for a game.

F?ck the lot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There is no compensation culture in this country.

Solicitors do not take on frivolous claims in the hope of making money from them as they are all stand up guys.

Gimme a fxuking break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The lad has made a statement on twitter,maintains they were trying to expose the bullying aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I feel sorry for coaches of young teams these days. You hear many stories of parents acting like children having tantrums at games now. It's ridiculous. You are a parent, act like one. If your child is not selected, the teams looses, or someone makes a mistake, cause you know their human, it does not give you an excuse to shout abuse at the coach or the kids. If you cant behave like an adult from the sidelines, then f*ck off somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

storker wrote: »
    The only problem with that is that people could end up afraid to take cases even if justified, because of fear of having to lose their home in order to pay costs, which can mount up very quickly. That doesn't mean, however, that they couldn't at least make some contribution based on their income and assets.

Thats fair enough, but no-one in their right mind would think this is a valid case to take to court.

Is PTSD the new ADHD now?

razorblunt wrote: »
    The lad has made a statement on twitter,maintains they were trying to expose the bullying aspects.

The only thing this case exposed was the family as a shower of twats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

kfallon wrote: »
    The only thing this case exposed was the family as a shower of twats!

I'd say there are a minimum of 4/5 visits to a solicitor.
    Plus at least 1 meeting with a barrister.
    Plus 2 visits to a psychologist for reports.
    Plus at least 1 visit to a GP for the initial visit.

How the hell did this case get to court?

Donal55 wrote: »
    I'd say there are a minimum of 4/5 visits to a solicitor.
    Plus at least 1 meeting with a barrister.
    Plus 2 visits to a psychologist for reports.
    Plus at least 1 visit to a GP for the initial visit.

How the hell did this case get to court?

As long as they are getting paid they won't care!

One of the greatest benefits of a child engaging in sport, is that it toughens the child up to deal with failure, teaches them how to pick themselves up, and keep trying harder.

What kind of lesson is this to give your son? If the son is genuinely traumatised, he needs to see a mental health professional and deal with his inability to process criticism or negative setbacks.

He certainly doesn't need to be introduced to the combative and adversarial environment of a court, if he's genuinely of such a sensitive disposition.

Breathtakingly stupid action. However, to people who cite this as proof of "compo culture", I'd suggest the fact that these stories make the national newspapers rather indicates that they're the exceptions.

There probably is a compo culture in Ireland, the same as there probably is an active paedophilia culture, but it's not a norm.

Also, I suspect this action was more to do with ego than to do with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why is he being called a kid and a child, he's 18 so he is an adult.

When I was 18 I was working on a building site and you wouldn't be long getting told what for if the work wasn't getting done.

He looks like a fella who was pampered by Mammy and Daddy all his life.

jackwigan wrote: »
    Can we as a society agree to ban the term "snowflake"?

Makes me twitch a little every time I read it.

"Snowflake" is a sneering and unhelpful term. It almost makes me side with the kid and his dad.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Why is he being called a kid and a child, he's 18 so he is an adult.

He was 13 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Since the 2012-13 season, so at least 4 years.

You would think that at some point in that time, they'd realise how utterly stupid the case was.

Advertisement