Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen who sued soccer club for trauma after he was dropped loses case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

razorblunt wrote: »
    Future employer? This lad is going to play for Aston Villa don't ya know!

I'm getting the impression it's the Dad who feels victimised in this rather than the son and he's acting as a proxy.

Didn't somebody else in the thread say the kid is with Waterford United now?

Players are still picked up from League Of Ireland by English clubs (into their 20s) if they're good.

In fact, a shamrock rovers player, Ends Stevens got a deal with Villa in his early 20s.

Saying his career is over because he missed one scout visit is an excuse from the father for a vendetta case presumably.

Less litigation, more playing football, I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Didn't somebody else in the thread say the kid is with Waterford United now?

They're not *that* bad.

All's well that ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Could the club counter sue for defamation? I mean, they, or the assistant manager seem to have been defamed.

As for Goldsmith-she makes a cameo in this 'documentary'-yet under the name of 'Ward'. And yep, she's the 'Autism caused by chemical factors'...
    Yet as one guy notes, who goes on the blame chemicals for autism, mothers were previously blamed for this. So it's the same dang blame it on something else mentality-the irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugsDEkDptTE

She's at the 7.04 mark.

Okay-back on topic.
    I genuinely think the club could and should see compensation for defamation. A frivilous lawsuit by a frivolous team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Google is your friend. And you ought google before composing an argument based on conjecture about a real event. Psychologist and psychiatrist are not the first words that come to mind.

The report I read stated Psychiatrist, my apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Parents should not be allowed attend football matches.
    I was up a ladder painting the front of my house years ago on a Saturday morning.
    There was a childrens match going on across the road.
    The abuse from the parents was terrible. Only one man was shouting encouragement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

diomed wrote: »
    Parents should not be allowed attend football matches.
    I was up a ladder painting the front of my house years ago on a Saturday morning.
    There was a childrens match going on across the road.
    The abuse from the parents was terrible. Only one man was shouting encouragement.

I know a local side who told parents to cop the **** on or they wouldn't be welcome at games.
    Kids were mostly mortified by mammy and daddy going ape **** on the sideline.kids around 13/14 don't need that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

razorblunt wrote: »
    The lad has made a statement on twitter,maintains they were trying to expose the bullying aspects.

What if the boy was dropped because the adults-parents and managers-didnt get on???
    Human nature being what it is-hard to pick someone for a team if the dad is a pri*k-especially in a club as good as that where they would have a large pool to pick from---just saying like.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He'll be labelled a nancy boy after this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

muttnjeff wrote:
    What if the boy was dropped because the adults-parents and managers-didnt get on??? Human nature being what it is-hard to pick someone for a team if the dad is a pri*k-especially in a club as good as that where they would have a large pool to pick from---just saying like.....

Then you move your son to another club, you don't go to court.

jackwigan wrote: »
    Can we as a society agree to ban the term "snowflake"?

Makes me twitch a little every time I read it.

Banned from the weather forum. Mod

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

How does a case like this get to court?

Couldn't we just have given little Johnny a crack on the arse and sent him and his father on their way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

muttnjeff wrote: »
    What if the boy was dropped because the adults-parents and managers-didnt get on???
    Human nature being what it is-hard to pick someone for a team if the dad is a pri*k-especially in a club as good as that where they would have a large pool to pick from---just saying like.....;)

He had an injury during the preseason apparently and the coach said they were easing him in

How does a case like this get to court?
    Well where else would you have a claim be heard?

I don't understand this comment and others like them. The whole point of courts is that they are accessible to the public in order that disputes may be tried.

What are people suggesting? Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Well where else would you have a claim be heard?

I don't understand this comment and others like them. The whole point of courts is that they are accessible to the public in order that disputes may be tried.

What are people suggesting? Seriously

What I meant by the original comment was that this case is clearly verging on the frivolous , how can a case so frivolous make it this far?

What I meant by the original comment was that this case is clearly verging on the frivolous , how can a case so frivolous make it this far?
    I assume it's because the plaintiff had expert evidence purporting to diagnose PTSD, which put the case (slightly?) above the 'frivolous' threshold for dismissal.

Presumably the other side didn't bring a motion to strike out for this reason. I think it has to be very clear cut in order for an action to be struck out. If it were obvious, we could do away with courts altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

muttnjeff wrote: »

But even if that was the case, it's not something that should be before the courts. It's a volunteer-run kid's football team. Not everybody gets to play. Especially if there's a large pool as you say, at every match, there will be kids who don't get to play. No-one is legally entitled to a spot on the team.

Can you imagine the precedent this would have set if he'd won the case?! Teams and clubs would fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

overshoot wrote: »
    er just incase people think senior level... he is playing for the u19s... and after 5 games this year he has one start where he was subbed off and one bench appearance (unused)... oh and waterford are bottom of the southern section.
    Still a decent player but if he isnt starting for a struggling u19s team its hard to see him ever been good enough to make premier LOI, let alone get a full time england contract.

Did he get PTSD from not getting a game here too?

But even if that was the case, it's not something that should be before the courts. It's a volunteer-run kid's football team. Not everybody gets to play. Especially if there's a large pool as you say, at every match, there will be kids who don't get to play. No-one is legally entitled to a spot on the team.

Can you imagine the precedent this would have set if he'd won the case?! Teams and clubs would fold.

I imagine it would be much like the hotel, restaurant and b and b businesses feel with the '20 grand for bumping your knee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

If i get kicked from a call of duty server can i claim PTSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭maik3n

For s**** and giggles. :D:D :P

Podcast of the father talking on Cork Radio.
    http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/neil-prendeville-on-redfm/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

"Snowflake" is a sneering and unhelpful term. It almost makes me side with the kid and his dad.

Wow well that sounds pathetic. If someone called the terrorist in London who drove his car at people some nasty names would you side with them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

"Snowflake" is a sneering and unhelpful term. It almost makes me side with the kid and his dad.

Wow well that sounds pathetic. If someone called the terrorist in London who drove his car at people some nasty names would you side with them too?

cursai wrote: »
    If i get kicked from a call of duty server can i claim PTSD?

I took a bullet for you in CoD, man! CharlieXTC1994 was all around me man-still see them in my dreams, with their modded glitter rifle, and unicorn boots.

No amount of respawning can kill the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Oho so he though he could sue for being a special snowflake?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lads to be fair, I used to be a referee and you can spot these little gems from a mile away, they love themselves even if they are crap, and the Daddies and mammies give out to you if you have any sort of word with them, or booking them, I used to get great pleasure from asking the parents to leave the park because they were upsetting the kids, had a few square up to me, and I'm not a big lad, but I've told them to meet me in the carpark and we can have a chat and they never turn up, they are all poxbottle parents, just let kids be kids

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Terrorist =/ snowflake. The two situations are incomparable. The terrorist in your hypothetical off his own bat drove a car at people for the cause of ISIS/whoever and being a terrorist. A "snowflake" is "someone I don't like because I think they're either whiny or entitled". It is a subjective analysis - he is a snowflake because you say so. A terrorist is a terrorist because of his own actions breaking laws that define terrorism.

Actually, I have some sympathy for the teenager. Sure, he's 18 now, and hopefully will come up against life's lessons in a more helpful way than this. He didn't have much of a chance with his parents acting the fool over it. And this has been going on between the ages of 13-18. Four-five years of this nonsense. It's an awful lesson to teach a young teenager, much less reinforce it over several years. If he ends up a "snowflake", it's mostly down to his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Samaris wrote: »
    Terrorist =/ snowflake. The two situations are incomparable. The terrorist in your hypothetical off his own bat drove a car at people for the cause of ISIS/whoever and being a terrorist. A "snowflake" is "someone I don't like because I think they're either whiny or entitled". It is a subjective analysis - he is a snowflake because you say so. A terrorist is a terrorist because of his own actions breaking laws that define terrorism.

Actually, I have some sympathy for the teenager. Sure, he's 18 now, and hopefully will come up against life's lessons in a more helpful way than this. He didn't have much of a chance with his parents acting the fool over it. And this has been going on between the ages of 13-18. Four-five years of this nonsense. It's an awful lesson to teach a young teenager, much less reinforce it over several years. If he ends up a "snowflake", it's mostly down to his parents.

Well unless he is very lucky he's going to find that as the years go on life will throw some sh1tty situations at him that make not being picked for a soccer game seem kinda minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Well unless he is very lucky he's going to find that as the years go on life will throw some sh1tty situations at him that make not being picked for a soccer game seem kinda minor.

Tbh, he'd be more unlucky if life didn't. It'd serve him better (for his own sake) to have to face up to unpleasant situations without mum and dad raising all hell from the sidelines. They do not seem to have set a particularly good example for him in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

So, even after the father brought the vote of no confidence vote against the coach, the coach still played the son in every remaining game of the 11/12 season. This shows to me that the coach had no vendetta against the Cookes and seemed to be a very fair individual. His comment that he was easing him back in after injury seems bang on.

The bullying stuff... it seems unlikely that the son was followed around to different games and jeered. But having said that, bullying is hard to prove!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Murrisk wrote:
    The bullying stuff... it seems unlikely that the son was followed around to different games and jeered. But having said that, bullying is hard to prove!

Tbf they could have been bullying him online and in school but this again was down to his parents making a show of him.

Advertisement