Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Great article,and one that we could definately all do to get more people involved in shooting.

https://mike-lindsay.co.uk/2018/11/25/its-time-to-get-friends-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR1r-sbotCmEFaYFP5JgX3L3wLZrXkjhDzpjoPOX_dYSbb6XqyC5pwt1dGQ

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Great article,and one that we could definately all do to get more people involved in shooting.

https://mike-lindsay.co.uk/2018/11/25/its-time-to-get-friends-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR1r-sbotCmEFaYFP5JgX3L3wLZrXkjhDzpjoPOX_dYSbb6XqyC5pwt1dGQ

Yes i have done that, people who were completely anti private gun ownership, talk them into coming to the club, pop away with a .22 at sil's or try a few clays, they all loved it. None took it up as a sport, but it changed their minds on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newtoit73

FCA i am luck i had a chance before it all went to hell about 200 250 punts for a week somewhere in the arse side of a army barracks, and getting the chance to shoot FN in .22 and 7.62 Nato, .303 horse lee-enfield, gustav not sure what the feck, and a 25 pounder .
    A golden era in ireland. lol... my view on guns is we should be allow have something that is useful, or for target shooting if its regulated and controlled then whatever caliber, ireland has a very different history with guns, it was a tool that was taken up at a time, where as in the US, it was more of less in hand from day 1. devil is in the gun, . but i would be a fan of better access to shooting range, in a more grown up ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is the first time in my life that I can't support a fellow hunter.:mad:

Taking into account this is the DM so it has no doubt exxagerated the story,but the core of it is reprehensible. This was obviously done to get her name mentioned more on social media,but the damage it does to UK and our reputations as hunters is bad. In fact she just handed the antis both here and in the US a whole ship load of ammo to use against ligit hunters.:mad:

About the equivilent of showing up at somones party whom you dont know, dumping a kilo of coke on the table,dancing on their prized dining room table ,and getting lost once the police arrive.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6410909/Notorious-huntress-poses-sheep-shes-killed-holding-bloodied-SEX-TOY.html?fbclid=IwAR3JCsrrM96cHwYnjQ3gkVYhulBoNFylgLZwND4e-THAtdzR7JQS3p9iHTs

Benjamin Franklin said, upon reading a letter from George III of England that he considered the 'rabble from Lexington' to be traitors, and well-deserved their hanging, - 'Gentlemen, if we do not now all hang together, we shall of a certainty all hang separately'.

Whatever elements of the sport of shooting we follow, and not matter what country it is in which we do it, we should all support each other and each other's interests. After all, everybody here who does NOT live in the USA has had to -

1. Give away details of their private lives.

2. Often go cap in hand to people to ask them for a reference of their good character in the form of refereeing.

3. Agree to undertake the conditions laid down by the law with regard to the safekeeping and security of the guns involved, often at substantial expense.

4. Agree to allow the police authorities access to your personal medical records [UK only]. In addition, of course, your life becomes an open book to the police investigating officials, and having to go virtually begging to some police officers in order to justify perfectly acceptable reasons for gun ownership, to people who might be sympathetic, but on the other hand, can be complete anti's determined to cut down on gun crime by cutting down on the numbers of firearms certtificates/licenses issued to honest people who have gone to the trouble of ASKING for them, unlike the criminal element

5. Pay good money to obtain the license, in the case of those of you in RoI, for each and every gun.

We ALL pull the trigger, on whatever kind of gun it is, that is what we have in common.

And I agree 100% with the sentiment and code Tac. However, turning a hunt into a quasi-hen party and taking a sex toy along, while being half in the bag as well??
    Could you hand the antis any more ammo on a plate?

I believe she has put her side of the story on her web/FB page, but in these days of disinformation and fake news,from the MSM who do you believe anymore?
    Was it an elaborate scam?Or was the hunt organisers a bunch of drug taking gob****es who got her to hold the sex toy in the heat of the moment??

As Churchill said "A lie is halfway around the world before the truth is out of bed."Who do you think the great unwashed will believe? An American woman who in their mind shoots domestic animals in the UK and elsewhere, who makes a point of courting controversy?And how many if any of the UK GP will ever see this or believe it?

As said, she can sod off back home to the US without much consequences and we are left to shovel up this massive PR dung pile in the UK and IRL.
    It is so true these days, you are ten seconds from a camera.120 seconds from being a youtube star, and infamous in MSM since "newspapers" like DM and Indo are offering 100 euros/stg for video footage of "newsworthy events"

We have to watch our steps folks these days.Its bad enough with the antis making mince of us, but unthinking gobdaws and Fudds, as well as collations of vested interests in our own ranks, are our ultimate undoing.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

And I agree 100% with the sentiment and code Tac. However, turning a hunt into a quasi-hen party and taking a sex toy along, while being half in the bag as well??
    Could you hand the antis any more ammo on a plate?

I believe she has put her side of the story on her web/FB page, but in these days of disinformation and fake news,from the MSM who do you believe anymore?
    Was it an elaborate scam?Or was the hunt organisers a bunch of drug taking gob****es who got her to hold the sex toy in the heat of the moment??

As Churchill said "A lie is halfway around the world before the truth is out of bed."Who do you think the great unwashed will believe? An American woman who in their mind shoots domestic animals in the UK and elsewhere, who makes a point of courting controversy?And how many if any of the UK GP will ever see this or believe it?

As said, she can sod off back home to the US without much consequences and we are left to shovel up this massive PR dung pile in the UK and IRL.
    It is so true these days, you are ten seconds from a camera.120 seconds from being a youtube star, and infamous in MSM since "newspapers" like DM and Indo are offering 100 euros/stg for video footage of "newsworthy events"

We have to watch our steps folks these days.Its bad enough with the antis making mince of us, but unthinking gobdaws and Fudds, as well as collations of vested interests in our own ranks, are our ultimate undoing.:(

Idiots doing daft things on camera, with guns, and having it broadcast in the msm is a well worn path.

Do you remember, mid 1980's, a BBC programme, with a gang of fools out on a trawler, on a so called fishing trip, getting drunker and drunker, then deciding to shoot seagulls off the back of the boat. All caught on camera ?

I remember the absolute endless trouble it caused at the time, a real **** storm, that seemed to go on for months.

Ten seconds of bad behaviour can undo ten years of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newtoit73

I saw this a article a few weeks back, some " hot-huntress" lol.... getting he picture up on social media.

It sad all around, for the media jumping all over, and their antics is causing bad rep to real hunters, the "huntress" is
    just a silly human, in company of other stupid humans, I am sure she is delighted with the reaction.

If her group, actually used the sheep, or had someone prep it for cooking/eating (i couldn't be bothered reading the article:) )
    then i am not so annoyed.

I am surprised so many care what a group of idiots do, of course we can judge and condemn, but do yuo think they give a moments thought ? nope...not a second.

I am trying to change my ways of eating meat, stopping the buying of packaged meat, and try to hunt for it, obviouly i will eat a lot less and may end iup vegetarian haha, my point is i respect people who do hunt for their meat/fish it is a lot more honorable than joining the production line that is the meat industry.

Hunters will always be respected, and there will always be idiots.

newtoit73 wrote: »

I am trying to change my ways of eating meat, stopping the buying of packaged meat, and try to hunt for it, obviouly i will eat a lot less and may end iup vegetarian haha, my point is i respect people who do hunt for their meat/fish it is a lot more honorable than joining the production line that is the meat industry.

Good way of doing it. Healthy too if you can get genuinely wild game and fish.

A woman did it too in the UK.
    Lisa's hunting experiences I think it was on FB. She wanted to only feed herself and her kids from wild game taken by shooting or fishing.

Man! The abuse she caught from the anti-hunting and vegans on FB was something seen to believed. She got, as did her kids ! death threats,as well as pics of the school sent to her, of the sickest kind and mostly from women!She had to move house and delete twice her FB and twitter.

More I think about it betimes, maybe it is good we have strict gun laws here as some of these vegans/anti-hunters are utter freakin psychopaths seemingly barely in control of their emotions. You wouldn't trust them with a feather duster not to mind a firearm or let them within 10 miles of one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Video of it - here.

WARNING - Language and noise (its loud)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

'Rule #4 - Be sure of your target, and what might be behind it, before taking the shot...'

GONE!!

?type=2&theater

Not surprising, anyway i've edited the link in my post above to a new site with the same video.

Its here, to save you scrolling back up - https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uIe2v_1543909963

Hmmm, is that a plain-clothes Garda with a handgun? What else was going down here? There is enough 'egg on faces' with this incident to make an omelette big enough to cover Phoenix Park.

In the immortal words of Gunny Sgt Hartmann.
    " Holy Jesus! What is that? What the **** is that? WHAT IS THAT?"

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

On viewing the one sided clip and only a section of it appears to have been put up, I have a few questions.
    Is it normal for plain clothes gaurds to go to incidents alone.
    It mentioned there were gaurds at the scene but he did not seem to have any back up.
    What does it say about the respect certain people have for the gaurds, when a fella still thinks its ok to have a go at a gaurd when his gun is drawn, that guy was not phased or intimidated one bit.
    While in the clip things did not go well you cant help but think things could have gone a whole lot worse had that guy managed to wrestle him to the ground.
    And on a final point I have always said it, ties are dangerous and should be banned.
    That is going to be one very expensive bullet by the time this is all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The traveller had absolutely no fear of the armed detective (assuming he was a detective). He even tried to assault assaulted the truck driver right in front of the armed detective who had his firearm drawn. That shows the attitude that travellers have towards the Gardaí.

I can't say what went on before the camera started rolling but I'm guessing something happened to warrant the detective taking out his firearm. They usually don't take them out and wave them around willy-nilly.

Once the firearm was out, and the traveller (or dog if there was one) started attacking the detective, he didn't have much option but to shoot. Possibly three against one (two travellers and a dog) and he would have been in danger of having his firearm taken off him and used against him.

Anything to do with that ethnic minority lot and its trouble. Anyone i know who ever got lapped up with them lived to regret it.

• Advertisement

That's the quietest dog I've ever not heard.

And even better than Martin Cahill at staying out of camera shot.

Was there a dog there at all?

About five miles down the road from us, the local parish church, built in the 11/12C, had 90% of its lead roof 'evaporated' overnight a couple of weeks back. This was the THIRD time in six years.

The last time it happened was a couple of weeks from Easter...but the gentlemen of the road were caught actually in the middle of their shameful work, and trapped on the roof by simply taking their ladders away.

All we seem to do over here is to clear up the s*i*e left behind them as the move freely about the countryside.

tac foley wrote: »
    About five miles down the road from us, the local parish church, built in the 11/12C, had 90% of its lead roof 'evaporated' overnight a couple of weeks back. This was the THIRD time in six years.

The last time it happened was a couple of weeks from Easter...but the gentlemen of the road were caught actually in the middle of their shameful work, and trapped on the roof by simply taking their ladders away.

All we seem to do over here is to clear up the s*i*e left behind them as the move freely about the countryside.

Same here. Only worse.

Brexit. A word most people either don't care about or are sick to the teeth of listening to, and i'm the latter.

However on SKY news today they have shown the outline of the key points of the deal and the one that stands out is that Northern Ireland will be granted a status of remaining within the EU common market place which will require a "check" of goods between Northern Ireland and main land England/UK.

It means goods between the North and South will/should remain the same, but with goods checks between the North and UK means customs, and possible tariffs. I'm only guessing on that last part, but it leaves the door open for Scotland, Wales, etc. to seek a similar status which may lead to the breakup of the UK and while Unionists will never accept it, a step closer to a unified Ireland.

Getting way ahead of myself, and the most likely outcome would not come close with the nearest thing being a separate country of Northern Ireland, but its a slippery slope.

If you are going to draw your firearm,it had better be in the gravest extreme of a threat to your life, and then you had better shoot to kill! End of!! This is exactly the reason "warning shots" and "shooting to wound" are absolute legal nonsensical ideas.

We now see where his "warning shot" went. Into an uninvolved in the affray 3rd party leg. That's going to cost legally.
    There was seemingly no situational awareness of what's going on by the Gaurd[Way to close to the protagonists],or where his firearm is pointing for that matter. At that point, if you have had to draw a sidearm, your situational awareness should be needle-like and you should be on tenterhooks as you are now in fear of your life in condition black with a loaded firearm in your hands and a life or death situation on hand.

This actually looks like an accidental discharge rather than deliberate. Someone grabs you at close quarters like that,it is a justifiable grave threat to your life as your stupid tie has now become a hangmans noose on your neck and at best that person could have expected a pistol foresight slashed across the face,a headbutt or at worst,be having a chat with St Peter a few minutes later.

It looks to me like someone decided that he was going to enforce the law and authority by the power of his gun alone, and when that failed to work, the situation went out of hand a long time ago. Probably when he shot the dog perhaps? He even himself looks like he is in shock and not in control of the event. Compare it to a US police event. Lots of shouting, aggression and intimidation and movement from the officers in that situation. Its done for a reason, get your adrenaline going and take charge of the situation, and make no bones about it, you are not fuking about!

A simple rule of situations like this.If you draw a gun or knife you had be better be prepared to use it all the way. Otherwise, keep it in its holster.

Also, I'd point out in reference to the IPSC/Combat training debacle. This whole situation that this officer found himself involved in,is exactly what "Combat training" is all about in some cases. Having to deal with crowds or attacks in arm's length and using your sidearm. Anyone ever shoot an IPSC match requiring that skill??

United ireland ? God i hope not, we would be screwed with taxes to pay for it. And the ink would not be dry when the bombs would going off under cars all over ireland.

We now see where his "warning shot" went. Into an uninvolved in the affray 3rd party leg. That's going to cost legally.

What third party? Did it not go into the leg of the traveller pushing the door trying to get at the guy in the van?

Did the traveller grab the Guard's tie or did a dog under control of the traveller grab the Guard's tie? Either way, firing the shot was justified.

Reports say that one of the travellers was disarmed (a slash hook) shortly before that film clip started.

Towards the end of the clip when the screaming gorillia points the camera at someone behind them, wearing a black/white trainer.

Does that firing look like a deliberate and thought out a situation where the gaurd knew his life was in danger,or an accidental discharge while fumbling about with the gun at waist holster height?
    He had zero control of what s happening to him,his sidearm or the situation.The moment that tinker grabbed his tie, his gun should have been resting with its barrel on your man's forehead and first pressure is taken off.No two ways about it.

We can only speculate about what happened with the dog, and whether or not there were other weapons involved. As we can only deal with what we have in evidence in front of us.A short clip of a situation.

gunny123 wrote: »
    United ireland ? God i hope not, we would be screwed with taxes to pay for it. And the ink would not be dry when the bombs would going off under cars all over ireland.

Can you imagine our shower in the Dail having to deal with a bunch of Peter Robinson types saying NO!! to everything, just for the pure Hell of it??:p

Wonder how they would square the circle of the NI gun laws, [pretty liberal] with ours[absolute ****e!] And people having sidearms for the very genuine threat of them being targets for our, still not gone away, subversives?? And VERY unlikely to surrender them peacefully either??

• Advertisement

Towards the end of the clip when the screaming gorillia points the camera at someone behind them, wearing a black/white trainer.

Does that firing look like a deliberate and thought out a situation where the gaurd knew his life was in danger,or an accidental discharge while fumbling about with the gun at waist holster height?
    He had zero control of what s happening to him,his sidearm or the situation.The moment that tinker grabbed his tie, his gun should have been resting with its barrel on your man's forehead and first pressure is taken off.No two ways about it.

We can only speculate about what happened with the dog, and whether or not there were other weapons involved. As we can only deal with what we have in evidence in front of us.A short clip of a situation.

I was under the impression that the guy pushing the door of the van while trying to attack yer man in the truck was the lad that got shot. Maybe I'm mistaken.

The situation was risky for the cop but I don't think it was a negligent discharge. Listen to what he says a second or two before he fires the gun. Seemed on purpose to me.

Plus, if there was a third person there like you say, then all the more reason for him to have his gun out.

PS. I know fcukall about police tactics so therefore I may be talking a load of sh1te.

Advertisement