Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The island of Ireland is a living example of how gun laws don't work.
    Having 2/3rd of the place with the most restrictive gun laws in the EU, and less than a third under almost open civil war for 35 years.Yet no gun bans and one of the few EU countries with a more or less liberal concealed carry system.NI has remarkably low "normal"[non political] crime rate involving firearms.
    The "what to do section" of that report is really a load of fluff.New technologies to identify tool marks??seriously?Whoever wrote that bit obviously has never spent ten mins in a machine shop.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The island of Ireland is a living example of how gun laws don't work.
    Having 2/3rd of the place with the most restrictive gun laws in the EU, and less than a third under almost open civil war for 35 years.Yet no gun bans and one of the few EU countries with a more or less liberal concealed carry system.NI has remarkably low "normal"[non political] crime rate involving firearms.
    The "what to do section" of that report is really a load of fluff.New technologies to identify tool marks??seriously?Whoever wrote that bit obviously has never spent ten mins in a machine shop.

Ahh, but the likes of Dessy O'Malley would have told you that if gun ownership had not been severely restricted, it would have been 6,000 dead. You cannot win.

Anyway go onto youtube, and watch all sorts of firearms being home made, from complete junk, where one pipe with a nail in it fits into another to slam fire a shotgun shell, to very high end stuff rivalling Purdeys or Hofers finest.

Did you know odious warmonger Tony Blair, wanted to restrict or licence ownership of lathes and milling machine in case people made firearms at home.

Whatever that crabby little Limerick man ,O Malley had to say for himself was imbued with his own self-importance and arrogance.:mad: Considering that was the butchers bill anyway over 35 years despite his "Furher befehl" and most of it done with military grade stuff from Libya...

As for "Demon eyes" Blair,wouldnt surprise me...Man was and is a dangerous idiot.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Whatever that crabby little Limerick man ,O Malley had to say for himself was imbued with his own self-importance and arrogance.:mad: Considering that was the butchers bill anyway over 35 years despite his "Furher befehl" and most of it done with military grade stuff from Libya...

As for "Demon eyes" Blair,wouldnt surprise me...Man was and is a dangerous idiot.

Surely not :D

Someone has left the gates open at Dundrum asylum again.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sinead-oconnor-doesnt-want-mix-13543568

• Advertisement

BYEEE Sinead...You wont be missed.You wont be doing much "singing" under the rules of Islam either....So that's a blessing on the rest of us.:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

gunny123 wrote: »
    Someone has left the gates open at Dundrum asylum again.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sinead-oconnor-doesnt-want-mix-13543568

I'm gonna let Dr Cox list the things i care as little about as that attention seeking nut job.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Jesus wept.

Watching RTE news and Kate O'Connell when talking to Simon Harris about the baby murdering bill said it should be referred to as pregnancy termination as they [i assume the women] are carrying a pregnancy and not a life.

"Congratulations Mr "insert random name", it's a healthy baby pregnancy".

For sweet love of baby Jesus what have we come to?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Watching RTE news and Kate O'Connell when talking to Simon Harris about the baby murdering bill said it should be referred to as pregnancy termination as they [i assume the women] are carrying a pregnancy and not a life.

"Congratulations Mr "insert random name", it's a healthy baby pregnancy".

For sweet love of baby Jesus what have we come to?

What have we come to ? A maternity hospital in the UK warning its staff not to use the term "mother", in case transexual "women" were in earshot and got upset. I **** you not.

All this pc rubbish will reach a zenith and then the backlash will start, which is why trump was elected in the usa and brexit happened in the uk.

In one of the irish papers last week, it was reported a poll was done and 80% of people here are sick of political correctness.

Monthy Python predicted the Millenial snowflake and PCed ness in the 1980s.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

• Advertisement

All this pc rubbish will reach a zenith and then the backlash will start, which is why trump was elected in the usa and brexit happened in the uk.
    Trump was elected because people are tired of the "establishment". It was a middle finger to the decades of Government that tried the same old tired things that constantly fail.

The PC culture i can ignore for the nonsensical dribble that it is, but this is not PC anything. This is a very serious topic and the changing of words or terminology to try and lessen people's guilt to the obvious murder of children will fool no one.

And for those that think i'm wrong ask yourself this. Why if it's not murder, as some claim, can they not just call it what it is. Why the need to whitewash the language? To tone it down?
    In one of the irish papers last week, it was reported a poll was done and 80% of people here are sick of political correctness.
    Gather around children, Uncle Cass is going on another rant.

The problem with putting political, social, etc. before correctness/justice, etc. is that it takes away the meaning of the word and attaches a set of values to it based on the opinions of a group with the population.

That meaning then may change as the opinion of the group that assigned the value to it and so it may become not politically correct at a later date.

Instead of it just being correct or not.

I typed out a long reply to your last post cass, but kept getting error messages and my reply disappeared. This forum must be running software supplied by hector grey.

T
    Gather around children, Uncle Cass is going on another rant.

The problem with putting political, social, etc. before correctness/justice, etc. is that it takes away the meaning of the word and attaches a set of values to it based on the opinions of a group with the population.

That meaning then may change as the opinion of the group that assigned the value to it and so it may become not politically correct at a later date.

Instead of it just being correct or not.

So don't surrender the narrative to them.Ever.Its the same with this multi-gender BS or calling people "EM ,UR's "or some other gurgle noise. You are either male or female., and in some extremely rare cases of nature hamaprohidic .End of. If you are confused,just look in your pants. If you don't allow a specific group to assign their titles or ownership of the narrative they cant get their agenda thru. We are accused of this regularly by anti gunners, that its irrelevant what the technical descriptions of guns are.Ergo it is irrevelant what their precived gender or word meaning is by their same logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

The PC culture i can ignore for the nonsensical dribble that it is, but this is not PC anything. This is a very serious topic and the changing of words or terminology to try and lessen people's guilt to the obvious murder of children will fool no one.

And for those that think i'm wrong ask yourself this. Why if it's not murder, as some claim, can they not just call it what it is. Why the need to whitewash the language? To tone it down?

Personally, I was thoroughly sickened by the abortion referendum outcome..

As a man, I am finding it very difficult to understand why women wanted this outcome and the only answer I can come up with is that they don't want to be under the "control of men" as they see it.

Me? I voted against because I had concern for the unborn and as I didn't spend my youth impregnating every woman I could, think I missed a trick, somewhere.

Main point here - apologies for the rant - is that hunters observe seasons when we don't kill animals who might be pregnant.

Are we (meat is murder) now morally superior to the prog leftists, or is it OK because they don't see the results of the "procedure"?

We live in a democracy, you look at the information, consider it, make up your mind and cast your vote. Thats all you can do. I voted against the referendum as i personally do not agree with abortion, or gay "marriage", or making travellers a special ethnic minority. This is part of the "new" ireland that is being pushed by an invisible hand, and if everything is new then everything old must be thrown away. Its like the program for government or whatever its called, veruka promising to allow one million migrants into ireland in the next few years, as if it was something people were crying out for.

If you want to see where ireland will end up, just take a peek across the water to the Uk, personally, as much as i like the Uk, all these progressive (so-called) policies have made much of that country a hell hole.

If i could get the cash together, i would leave ireland and never return, it is not a country i like anymore, and its people like me across europe who are rebelling against nonsense that has the Eussr rattled, not that they will do anything to remedy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If i could get the cash together, i would leave ireland and never return, it is not a country i like anymore, and its people like me across europe who are rebelling against nonsense that has the Eussr rattled, not that they will do anything to remedy it.

Out of curiosity, what utopian country would you go to?

BattleCorp wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what utopian country would you go to?

Probably the usa, if even for the ease of gun ownership.

They have their problems too. And then some. While I do drool over the guns that they are allowed to access over there, fcuked if I'd consider leaving here for there.

BattleCorp wrote: »

They have their problems too. And then some. While I do drool over the guns that they are allowed to access over there, fcuked if I'd consider leaving here for there.

Every country has problems, but i know lads from here and the uk, who emigrated to both the usa and canada, and apart from the odd trip back, none would return here.

Every country has problems, but i know lads from here and the uk, who emigrated to both the usa and canada, and apart from the odd trip back, none would return here.

Different strokes for different folks. I used to live over there, near San Francisco about 20 years ago. I much prefer here.

• Advertisement

I lived in CA as well 25 years ago...[Am I still stuck on this feckin island? as FR Jack said].In San Diego, and TBH even then CA was turning into a Very expensive PC anti-everything unless it is sex between two people of the same sex , dump.
    I moved to Phoenix and apart from the heat,it was completely different and in my eyes a much more liberal state. Depends where you live over there. There are still some parts of America that you would think Norman Rockwell is still in residence. Others are complete and utter ****holes, usually, Democrat-run.

Granted the US has its share of problems. But if it is so terrible, why is everyone fleeing some 3rd world Hell hole trying to get to America, and not Venezuela ??

TBH if you are a shooter or any way out of the ordinary, or are outside a narrowly defined box of acceptability of norm. Ireland is no country for you. If it wasn't for family commitments, I'd be long gone here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm pretty lucky, in a way, as I have relatives and friends and homes in both Canada and the USA. Although Oregon has recently acquired a whole new set of anti-2A politicians, it's still well equipped with more ranges and guns-stores than you can shake a stick at, a good, if not overwhelmingly helpful set of CCW rules, and open carry if you feel like it in the boonies, which is where we live when there. The major city, POT-land, is picturesque with it's endless bridges, but has Democrats running it with all the skill of catching a downstairs runaway piano. We stay away in large numbers. But why do I stay here in UK, with the ability to go home and say ****- it to all the stupid laws here in yUK?

I have a disabled daughter, and a grandaughter, and I can't leave them.

Duty to family, no matter what,or how difficult comes first, second and all the way down the line.:( In that way the Irish are lucky, having even today by EU standards large families, where problems and duties it can be shared out...Most of the time.Try being a single child dealing with it all.

Seems our neighbours are prone to on the spot inspections, as i cannot think of another reason why he would be "caught" with the gun outside the safe.

Also interesting is the safe being under the bed, which i assume has more to do with it being on the floor rather than fixed to a solid structure.

Sometimes the floor can be more a more solid base than some walls to bolt things onto. Wonder was it bolted onto the floor or just lying under the bed?

Possibly, but judging by the article he had it on the wall, moved it, then never replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

https://conservative-daily.com/2018/11/06/breaking-first-gun-confiscation-killing-reported-maryland/?fbclid=IwAR21lfixGeA22uJ_ZcGjRJIkocaUsCcobCs3xC9uzEpbpk_QlQPvKChZiRw

Not sure how to feel about this one. Of course it's tragic someone lost their life and i see the point if an individual acts like they pose a threat they should be interviewed 1st at least instead of a dawn raid.
    Thoughts?

So the police turn up to confiscate private property on the word of a relative ? No investigation ? No search warrant ? Smells a bit to me.

Going to be alot more fatalities on both civilian and LE in Maryland if that continues.This is one going to the US Supreme court as that is a violation of both 2nd ,4th and 8th Amendments.:(

• Advertisement

Seems to be an idea drawn up by the democrats. That won't do them any favours in the polls.

Advertisement