Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people survive on wages close to minimum wage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

bmwguy wrote: »
    You can't have a mortgage, a new car, kids,holidays and a social life on top of savings and pension funding on 400 a week but you can have some of them and be happy.

Maybe two of them.

I know quite a few in the working poor category. They're not teenagers or single people in their 30's, they have families and they don't manage, they're in debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Zascar wrote: »
    Someone should start a new thread without the spelling mistakes. Is this about living on minimum wage or Op's potential wage?

Boat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Erm public sector, Guards, Luas, soon to be Teachers/Army
    You can find 50 articles on minimum wage increases having positive effects and i can find 50 articles on increasing minimum wage having detrimental effects.
    Their demands have absolutely nothing to do with the minimum wage being increased. And you won't find 50 from any half way decent economists and within the last decade. But you're welcome to try.
    Its my opinion and ill stand by it until someone shows me irrefutable evidence to the contrary but if the minimum wage is 10 euro and e.g is increased to 12 euro, everyone from fast food guys to cleaners get 20% more, indirectly that will end up having a macroeconomic effect of higher spending and therefore higher inflation( considering the amount of people on this rate ), when inflation increases absolutely everyone must try to get a wage/salary increase even to keep the status quo.
    Yeah, which is why nobody with any sense or knowledge of the issue, is proposing such an increase. Small, gradual increases is the best way to utilise minimum wage policy, hence the 10 cent increase in January. Though I don't think a minimum wage of €10 per hour is going to have anywhere close to the economic effects you seem to think it would.
    The point is, increasing the minimum wage( beyond a point which we have well overshot by now ) does not benefit those it is supposed to benefit. Their increases will be drowned out in inflation and no one is more happy with a super inflated economy than the government.
    This just is not true for small, gradual increases, and increases which reflect the changing economic current within a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Erm public sector, Guards, Luas, soon to be Teachers/Army
    You can find 50 articles on minimum wage increases having positive effects and i can find 50 articles on increasing minimum wage having detrimental effects.

Its my opinion and ill stand by it until someone shows me irrefutable evidence to the contrary but if the minimum wage is 10 euro and e.g is increased to 12 euro, everyone from fast food guys to cleaners get 20% more, indirectly that will end up having a macroeconomic effect of higher spending and therefore higher inflation( considering the amount of people on this rate ), when inflation increases absolutely everyone must try to get a wage/salary increase even to keep the status quo.
    The point is, increasing the minimum wage( beyond a point which we have well overshot by now ) does not benefit those it is supposed to benefit. Their increases will be drowned out in inflation and no one is more happy with a super inflated economy than the government.

A 2 euro increase to the minimum wage would lead to job losses and companies closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I was on the dole after college for a year, €100 a week, still living at home but not for lack of trying to get literally any job. Factory job for a year and a bit before moving into my current role in which I'm very comfortable and lucky to save nearly 40-50% (being nearly the same as my take home in the factory job) of my net before rent/bills/social stuff etc

I don't see this mad focus in some people to be on X thousand per year as if that's the sole measure of success or job satisfaction, to be honest for most people I'd say to have a job they don't dread going into each morning and a bit of cash after all outgoings is a fair luxury.

Once I can pay my bills and not have the anxiety of not being able to afford some unforseen expense like car breakdown hanging over me I'm happy. That being said, I do hear a lot of colleagues my age ~25 or so taking loans for cars/holidays etc which sounds mad to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

I think the problem, OP, is that you are judging yourself based on the potential money your degree gets you.

1. Your degree entitles you to nothing, it just proves you're qualified to do a certain task/tasks

2. Money isn't everything. Earning 10K less p/a, but working in a job you enjoy (in my book) is better than a job you hate that pays better (if
    you have the choice, not everyone does)

3. People live on less money than others, that's life. They "survive" by living within their means, even if that requires sacrifices.

4. I can't stress enough how lucky you are to be able to; get a degree, a degree that betters your career opportunities over these school friends, a degree many perhaps aren't intelligent enough to be able to do, a degree you hopefully enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

not sure how authentic his moneyless experiment was, but worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Boyle_(Moneyless_Man)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Aph2016 wrote: »
    A 2 euro increase to the minimum wage would lead to job losses and companies closing down.
    its an example, you cant give an example of a 5cent increase that would have any tangible( yet it is there ) macroeconomic effect.
    Minimum wage in this country is far too high as is social welfare, it should be more aligned with UK rates along with UK rates for public sector.

We have a society where those on minimum wage have nothing, those on social welfare have nothing and those middle income earners with kids have nothing( because all their money goes to childminding ), yet politicians, their mates, their well protected hospital consultants and barristers are loaded and dictate what us plebs should have or should not have.

The problem isint minimum wage, the problem is the cost of the things that the government is in control of, VAT rate,TAX rates, PRSI rates, USC rates, electricity, gas, oil, petrol/diesel, cigs, beer, health insurance( huge levies ), car insurance( Quinn direct bailout levy ), credit card levies, bank card levies, GP/my/now doc cost, cost of accident/emergency.

Thats the $hit people should be tackling not minimum wage or public sector wanting increases, lets decrease all that crap so everyone benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Aph2016 wrote: »

And yet seattle hasn't seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I left school, went to college and got a "real" degree. Finished college in the middle of a recession, and did another course as a hobby during my year out. Thought it was going to be the easiest course in the world, boy was I mistaken. Qualified at the end of the year from three different awarding bodies. Soon found a job, but not before I had to work for free to gain experience.

The money was terrible - min wage. Which felt like I was being cheated considering how much the course and exams cost. The industry was horrible. Mean girls, cut throat, hard selling. But I enjoyed the practical side of my job and was eager to learn new skills. So, that's what I did. Constantly upskilled. Some was covered/taught by work, some I had to cover myself.

It sucked not having a proper guaranteed contract, being messed around with hours, **** money, but I still enjoyed the work, and I built up a client base from home too, which kept me busy.

After 4/5 years it changed for the better, I was offered a decent job with much better pay, built my skills up a lot, was getting recognition in "best of" awards and doing quite well.

Now I work for myself, and earn more than I would with my actual real degree that people thought I was mad throwing it away for my second choice. Thing is, the first degree may be more professional but I wouldn't have loved it as much as what I'm doing now, and wouldn't get the same opportunities with it.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to look down your nose at people on minimum wage. You've no idea where you'll be in ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

After a 4 year teaching degree I'm earning just about €400 a week.
    Still live at home which is grand but moving out next year and have no idea how I'm going to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I left school, went to college and got a "real" degree. Finished college in the middle of a recession, and did another course as a hobby during my year out. Thought it was going to be the easiest course in the world, boy was I mistaken. Qualified at the end of the year from three different awarding bodies. Soon found a job, but not before I had to work for free to gain experience.

The money was terrible - min wage. Which felt like I was being cheated considering how much the course and exams cost. The industry was horrible. Mean girls, cut throat, hard selling. But I enjoyed the practical side of my job and was eager to learn new skills. So, that's what I did. Constantly upskilled. Some was covered/taught by work, some I had to cover myself.

It sucked not having a proper guaranteed contract, being messed around with hours, **** money, but I still enjoyed the work, and I built up a client base from home too, which kept me busy.

After 4/5 years it changed for the better, I was offered a decent job with much better pay, built my skills up a lot, was getting recognition in "best of" awards and doing quite well.

Now I work for myself, and earn more than I would with my actual real degree that people thought I was mad throwing it away for my second choice. Thing is, the first degree may be more professional but I wouldn't have loved it as much as what I'm doing now, and wouldn't get the same opportunities with it.

So, I wouldn't be so quick to look down your nose at people on minimum wage. You've no idea where you'll be in ten years.

I didn't once look down on people on minimum wage. I asked how do they survive on that money.

I didn't once look down on people on minimum wage. I asked how do they survive on that money.
    You're surviving on a lot less, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I know a lot of people that have started blogging and getting free stuff which supplements their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You're surviving on a lot less, no?
    Very easy to survive on very little when you're expected future income is very high comparatively. And you're presumably being supported financially by parents.

They spend less money because they have less money. Surely as a college student you know that?

I'm roommates with a guy who can make a 10er last a week, and still squeeze a pint in somehow. People just make it work.

I know a lot of people that have started blogging and getting free stuff which supplements their income.
    Nice gig if you can get it. Free cars free clothes free trips. Trade your soul

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I'd be very slow to condescend on minimum wage. I'm currently funding my degree from a minimum wage position, no financial help from my parents and I'm also renting. Careful budgeting can be worth more than a higher wage sometimes!

They spend less money because they have less money. Surely as a college student you know that?

I'm roommates with a guy who can make a 10er last a week, and still squeeze a pint in somehow. People just make it work.
    1996 - 12 punt would last me a week, potatoes, baked beans, petit pois, pork chops( yuck can barely eat pork anymore now ), mad cow disease time cheapo mince beef. Not healthy but it did when it had to.
    I'm sure its even easier now with cheapo fruit n veg in lidl/aldi and a lot healthier

Used to labour in the UK in the summer to pay for uni and by god did I enjoy it and worked hard cos labouring sucked lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I couldn't make a tenner last an lunch hour where I work, let alone a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

TallGlass wrote: »

Bring in your own lunches! :)

1996 - 12 punt would last me a week, potatoes, baked beans, petit pois, pork chops( yuck can barely eat pork anymore now ), mad cow disease time cheapo mince beef. Not healthy but it did when it had to.
    I'm sure its even easier now with cheapo fruit n veg in lidl/aldi and a lot healthier

Year I was born!

Yeah it's a lot easier to eat healthier, with online recipes etc

TallGlass wrote: »

You could if you had to, my roommate has no choice some weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Lambs liver at 4€ a kg in my local super value.

(I'm not poor but I like offal - not to everyones taste).

Year I was born!

Yeah it's a lot easier to eat healthier, with online recipes etc
    Grrr make me feel old lol, but definitely yes, no excuse nowadays to be eating unhealthy and its damn cheap because with a family I've reverted to my student cheapo but with nowadays healthier shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Elessar wrote: »
    I think it's a valid question and I really don't know OP. The amount of people I know just cruising through life on minimum to low wages is frightening. Zero ambition or motivation to better themselves. I know not everyone really knows what they want to do but people need to start getting serious about their future. Some are renting and are at the mercy of the ever increasing rental market, with no prospect of ever owning a home (but most are living at home). These are people in their 30s. What are they going to do as they get older?

Truth is many people just won't be able to buy a home, ever.

Celtic tiger back? You must own a property, You must own a car, etc.

The acquisition of items is not the only way one can better themselves!

Lambs liver at 4€ a kg in my local super value.

(I'm not poor but I like offal - not to everyones taste).
    Love lamb and chicken liver, seriously yummy, and like you said its mega cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

5 people where I work on manual labor jobs getting 10 an hour who completed college.

Tbh completing college really just delayed their arrival to 10 an hour jobs.

College to me seems to be something people do because they can, its like school is now longer. Unless you are getting letters after your name you have the same chances as someone who didn't go to college.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    5 people where I work on manual labor jobs getting 10 an hour who completed college.

Tbh completing college really just delayed their arrival to 10 an hour jobs.

College to me seems to be something people do because they can, its like school is now longer. Unless you are getting letters after your name you have the same chances as someone who didn't go to college.
    You get letters after your name if you get your course regardless, but only twats like chemists or doctors use them.
    There's something wrong with those guys if they have useful degrees and are doing 10euro per hour jobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement