Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest film you've ever seen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

joe40 wrote: »
    There is a really powerful new zealand movie called "once were warriors" in my opinion an incredible movie with some very sad and harrowing scenes. Ultimately ends with optimism and heroism but tough going in places.

Great film. Another New Zealand film, but on the other side of the emotion spectrum is Whale Rider. There's a couple weepyvscenes in that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Grave of the Fireflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Turtyturd wrote: »
    One flew over the Cuckoos nest.

Coincidentally happened to watch this again today, had not seen it in a very long time.

Absolute masterpiece, funny, poignant and incredibly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

As a child, cried in the cinema at Armageddon, and on TV this Sylvester Stallone action movie called I think Daylight, where people were trapped in the underground of a city. More recently, just about managed to keep it together watching The Remains of the Day with my mother - she was totally dry eyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

Not really a sad movie but the mist doubt u will get a sadder ending. Won't spoil it but shocking and sad and fairs due to the director for puting it in. Harrowing stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Steamy

Amour (French for Love), I'm neither old nor married but I can still get depressed as hell watching this. I'll definitely re-watch it many decades from now when I am old.

Moonlight, I'm not gay myself, but I can relate to the main characters feeling of loneliness, disassociation, and struggle to find his identity. It's honestly the only time I've agreed with the Oscars on anything.

Come and see, does a really job highlighting the atrocities Eastern European and Russian villages went through from the German Wehrmacht. If you're easily disturbed, you might find this hard to watch.

Mommy. Most of you will ignore it because of it's 1:1 aspect ratio, but it does have a purpose in the movie, just watch it.

The Kid with a Bike, best child performance you'll ever see. Sold the **** out of how angry and sad his character is.

Biutiful (Beautiful in English). About a man diagnosed with a terminal illness that wants to help and improve the lives of everyone he cares about before he dies. Same director as Birdman and The Revenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Not the film itself, but the scene where Kevin Costner finds Sean Connerys character dieing in the Untouchables the music and the rosary beads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

Very sad indeed, was caught off-guard when I watched it years back, not sure if I could handle a rewatch

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

When I was young, it was when I watched Lassie. Recently, Marley & Me.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Contact and Interstellar both had similar "sad" moments involving aliens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+ 1 for Come and See. Like Grave of the Fireflies, its a grueling anti-war film but disturbing as well as sad.

Also' Threads ' . Realistic British anti-nuclear war film from the early 80s. Its shocking how much our world and civilization could crumble away without mercy. Trump and Kim Yong whatshisface would do well to watch it.

On a similar vein' The Road ' . Although in the end its uplifting, its a bleak film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Also' Threads ' . Realistic British anti-nuclear war film from the early 80s. Its shocking how much our world and civilization could crumble away without mercy. Trump and Kim Yong whatshisface would do well to watch it.

On a similar vein' The Road ' . Although in the end its uplifting, its a bleak film.

Yea there is a kind of bittersweet ending in The Road but the whole movie is so grim. It was one of those films where you feel a bit different after watching it!

Never heard of Threads. I'm gonna look it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bridge to Terabithia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    + 1 for Come and See. Like Grave of the Fireflies, its a grueling anti-war film but disturbing as well as sad.

I wouldn't have Threads as a sad film myself...more utterly terrifying! I watched it when it was originally broadcast on BBC1 in the mid-80s and it was truly shocking.

I'd definitely agree with The Road, particularly as I started crying almost as soon as the film started. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis's incredible music was probably more to blame for that. For what it's worth I cried like a baby after reading the book too!

I haven't seen anyone mention The Deer Hunter yet. I have to yet to watch it without shedding a tear, particularly when De Niro is sitting on the bed and that theme starts. Nick's death scene was a bit overwrought but still harrowing enough to cry at. Finally at the end when they're having the dinner for Nick and then John, the cuddly bar owner, starts blubbing...

Moon - Mentioned already and I totally agree. It's a stunning film and Clint Mansell's score just gets you right in the feels, especially the piece 'Memories'.

Pan's Labyrinth - What an ending, it was so powerful. I remember trying and trying not to cry and failing miserably lol.

Brokeback Mountain - Haven't seen this mentioned either. It's a beautifully made film and when the credits rolled I just sat there choking up. Whenever I hear 'The Wings' by Gustavo Santaolalla I just want to weep instantly.

I love this thread btw. I find it fascinating the way films have the power to reduce people to emotional wrecks. Long may it continue!

P.S. I knew I forgot one. The Impossible, the film about the 2004 tsunami, and the scene where Ewan McGregor is reunited with his boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Earthlings

I only managed to get through the first 30 minutes or so. I was in a heap and couldn't go on. Don't think I'll ever be able to sit through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sniperman

star wars,i cried it was so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The Mission
    Cinema Paradiso

Think its the music that sets me off... (Ennio Morricone of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

When The Wind Blows.

Terrified me as a kid but so sad at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Maybe 'Life Is Beautiful', or as mentioned, 'Grave of the Fireflies'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Storks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rudy, Champ, The Green mile and Point Break

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Relikk wrote: »
    When The Wind Blows.

Terrified me as a kid but so sad at the same time.

Classic forgot all about that must watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Watership Down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Someone mentioned Moon alright but that scene where he
    calls home and speaks to his now teenage daughter and finds out his wife is dead...
    :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Most of them have all been mentioned already.

Dear Zachary, the documentary, is unspeakably sad.

Bully, the documentary, really affected me badly - the treatment of the young lad Alex in it was just awful to watch.

The beginning of Up slays me every time.

The Mist has an ending that is bleak and haunting.

A Simple Plan has an absolutely heartbreaking end that resonated with me for days after.

I think there was a leak in the cinema and some water fell on my cheeks when I brought the kids to the remake of Pete's Dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm all depressed now…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

My wedding video.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Most of them have all been mentioned already.

Dear Zachary, the documentary, is unspeakably sad.

Bully, the documentary, really affected me badly - the treatment of the young lad Alex in it was just awful to watch.

The beginning of Up slays me every time.

The Mist has an ending that is bleak and haunting.

A Simple Plan has an absolutely heartbreaking end that resonated with me for days after.

I think there was a leak in the cinema and some water fell on my cheeks when I brought the kids to the remake of Pete's Dragon.

Love that movie, must watch it again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Just thought of Mask, the one with Cher in, another tear jerker.

Advertisement