Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest film you've ever seen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Quill, a Japanese film about a guide dog #sob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Not the saddest movie I've seen I don't think (still working on that)...however...

The Place Beyond the Pines was rather depressing I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Only really sad ones I've seen in the last few years were "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" and "Lilya 4 Ever". The second one is a foreign film about sex trafficking and is truly the most horrid but best film I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Studio Ghibli's "Grave of the Fireflies", based on a true story from wartime Japan albeit loosely. It is both beautiful and so sad it's soul-destroying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Hachi: A dogs tale, gets me every single time! I can deal with films where people are emotional but when animals are involved I'm a sobbing mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The land before time

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The Champ as mentioned many times already.

The grapes of wrath(1940) is a very moving film that stays true to the book.

Inside I'm dancing,an irish comedy drama about two lads with severe disabilities.

The saddest scene in a movie I've seen is Tommys funeral scene in Trainspotting.Spud singing 'two little boys',gets me every time.

Hachi: A dogs tale, gets me every single time! I can deal with films where people are emotional but when animals are involved I'm a sobbing mess.
    Best avoid Red Dog then until its time for the next good cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It is very hard to pick out one specific film, but the following films which I have seen would definitely be in contention:
    - Shadowlands
    - Schindlers List
    - Marley and Me
    - I am Sam
    - I, Daniel Blake
    - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

I just checked - it's nine years since I entered anything on this particular forum. What a way to come back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Boyhood had a huge effect on me when I saw it a few weeks after our first son was born.

Watched Toy Story 3 for the millionth time the other day with the young fella and for the millionth time it left me a quivering, blubbering mess. Even the dog getting old and slow upsets me ffs :-)

Would deffo give a +1 for A.I. as well....thought it was a bit meh the first time I saw it but it packed a far more powerful punch the second time around.

Another one that got me was Captain Phillips....a very underrated film imho....the closing scene where Tom Hanks is being medically assessed and breaks down (blub!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The Road was sad. There's actually not a lot said by the main charachters in their post apocalyptic despair but it's a really good story of survival and the relationship between father and son.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For me its the persuit of happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Only movie that ever made me cry was empire of the sun. Okay I was a child at the time but still, it's still very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dclifford

The Champ.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Leaving Las Vegas

Grim, grim, grim. No hope and no redemption.

Still class though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Slydice wrote: »
    Awe I forgot A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence
    It's ending is really sad but I think it needed me to have invested in the boy (robots) story.

The part where she dumps him at the side of the road and drives off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a tough old bas*ard and not given to overt sentimentality. However, the science fiction film Moon affected me profoundly. I've forgotten how to post a spoiler so can't go into the details, but anyone who's seen the film should know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Agree with most mentioned already. One of the more recent ones Manchester by the Sea, I thought was such a realistic portrait of grief it was tough to watch.

Bridge to Terribithia never fails to get me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Philadelphia, Where the red fern grows (it's ancient).

God, yeah. I remember seeing it as a kid. I was in bits after it. Anything with animals though - Hachi: A Dog's Tale though, wowzser, I can barely even think about it without crying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭the14thwarrior

the first few mins of Up - i had to leave the room, sitting with my mother, her last christmas at home before we had to admit her to nursing home with severe dementia

AI will never watch again pains me to even think about it

I am Legend - had just left vermont on holiday and watched it on the plane coming home. you'll remember the last scene?

i guess when the film strikes a cord with who ever or wherever you are at that point in your life........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

-Last few scenes of Schindler's List, when the actors and their real-life counterparts visit Schindler's grave. Insta-tears!!
    -Last half hour or so of Marley and Me.
    -Also in the above vein, (but not a film) the (much-mentioned in tv threads) Fry's Dog episode of Futurama.
    -Green Mile.
    -Execution scene in Dead Man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Elephant Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Old Yeller is a classic "mans best friend" movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A monster calls only watched it yesterday for the 1st time its so sad . A horrible watch for anyone who's lost someone to cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's an early 90s Michael Keaton movie called "My Life" that hit me hard when I saw it in the cinema (alone, I think I'm the only one who saw it (lol)). It's about a terminally ill man preparing a video diary of his life/life tutorial for his soon to be born first son (that's not a spoiler btw, that is the movie plot). Don't let the trailer fool you if you watch it, it's a much better movie than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Escape from the dark.

Had to google the name of it. I watched it as a kid and it's still the most I've blubbered over a fictional character, and a small horse at that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Marley and Me used to get me when it first came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Up
    Marley & me.
    50 first dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I cry easily, but I made a show of myself in the cinema at the end of Pan's Labyrinth. It just ends so unfairly, it breaks my heart. I can't watch it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

220px-Son_of_Saul_%28poster%29.jpg

(It's on Netflix now.)

Advertisement