Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest film you've ever seen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I watched grave of the fireflies recently and i must say it didn't get me, Ive seen sadder films imo, didn't see what all the fuss was about, I mean I no the content is harrowing but it just didn't get to me like others have.

I can't do films about sickness or illness so those are out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Dear Zachery has been mentioned a few times, if you haven't seen this then DON'T WATCH IT. Unbelievably sad, at least with fictional movies you can console yourself with the fact none of it is true, which is not the case here.

A Night To Remember was one that always got me

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

David Lynch's "The Elephant Man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I thought the ending of Thunderbolt And Lightfoot was sad. A favorite film of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

A promise to Carolyn - watched this when I was extremely young and honestly shouldn't have. It's about two sisters trying to get justice after their little sister was murdered when they were young and the child abuse they suffered. I'm 26 now and cannot bring myself to watch it again.

Invisible child- again watched when I was very young. A mother has a mental illness and believes she has 3 kids when she has 2! The family goes along with it for years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Dear Zachery has been mentioned a few times, if you haven't seen this then DON'T WATCH IT. Unbelievably sad, at least with fictional movies you can console yourself with the fact none of it is true, which is not the case here.

Disagree completely. Dear Zachary is incredible on so many levels, none more so than viewed through the lens of what true friendship is made of: the film is a work of art there alone.
    I can't recommend it enough.

The most beautiful/sad film I've seen recently would be ARRIVAL, gorgeous and heartwrenching, even if it takes a bit of mental energy to understand it. I'm reading Chiang's short stories and am impressed at how true to his work the film is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sister Act II: back In The Habit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The only film recently that had a big effect on me....i.e. floods of tears! was a monster calls

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

gmisk wrote:
    The only film recently that had a big effect on me....i.e. floods of tears! was a monster calls

I really should have looked at a synopsis before suggesting this to my husband, cut too close to the bone, floods of tears all round, excellent film though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

gmisk wrote: »
    God I just watched the trailer there and I'm crying. Don't think I'll be watching that soon. It looks brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Disagree completely. Dear Zachary is incredible on so many levels, none more so than viewed through the lens of what true friendship is made of: the film is a work of art there alone.
    I can't recommend it enough.

The most beautiful/sad film I've seen recently would be ARRIVAL, gorgeous and heartwrenching, even if it takes a bit of mental energy to understand it. I'm reading Chiang's short stories and am impressed at how true to his work the film is.

Agree. Don't get me wrong I will never watch it again, but it is a fantastic documentary and does need to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

The usual ones that have already been mentioned for me - Up, Green Mile, Notebook, Shawshank etc. As a 7 year old I remember the very first film I cried at was All Dogs Go to Heaven.

More recently I watched Still Alice on a flight and had to take myself off to the bathroom in an attempt to pull myself together I was sobbing so much. Although what's worse was on the flight back I watched the Amy Winehouse documentary and was in floods of tears about that too - such a waste of talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dead Tribute Banned

I love this thread, it's given me loads of films to watch. It takes a lot to make me cry but I'm a sucker for it once I start!

For me it's an old movie called The Imitation of Life. Me and my sister used to watch it every few weeks and I'd have to leave the room from crying so much.

I found In American very sad when Paddy Considine says goodbye to Frankie. It's a really good movie with all round strong performances.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Schindlers List is the most upsetting and heartbreaking film ever made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The only film that made me sad - that i can think of - is Animal Farm. The bit where boxer is 'retired' after all his hard work and his friend desperately chases down the road after him. It was a mix of anger and sadness but it has still stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Marley and Me.....had me in floods....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

The_Way_Home_film.jpg
    (The Way Home) It's in subtitles but a really great film, Glad i watched it all the way through when i was flicking through the channels and came across it on Film 4 a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Red Dog (2011)
    Had me both laughing and crying......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Keyzer wrote: »
    Schindlers List is the most upsetting and heartbreaking film ever made...

I'd have to agree, Keyser*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Every time I watch Leon I keep hoping it will end differently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There are a few sad films in I have watched that left me in tears or being depressed.

The Lion King - Two of Elton John's songs Circle of Life & Can you feel the love tonight leave me in bits.

The Secret Garden - My mam & I were watching it a few years ago on RTÉ One & the end scene left us both in tears.

Thomas & The Magic Railroad - Great movie. But the song Shining Time made me cry my eyes out afterwards.

Storks - My mam & I saw that in Dun Laoghaire recently & the end scene of the movie left me in tears.

The boy in the striped pyjamas - I only watched that once & just left me depressed.

Batman V Superman DOJ - Near the end of the movie where Superman "dies" left me to cry for a while.

The Dark Knight Rises - The scene where Bruce Wayne "dies" when killed with the bomb & Alfred is crying tears at his grave side.

Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit - Great Movie. The end scene where the 3 nuns cried after they heard their school was to remain open after winning the choir competiton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Marley & Me, Me Before You, Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Seven Pounds, The Notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Mar Adentro (The Sea Inside), Spanish film about a quadriplegic and his campaign for euthanasia.

The Passion of the Christ, very powerful film I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

The Color Purple...

Scene where they are being seperated...heartbreaking

This first 15 mins of Up....how an animated Pixar movie stirred such emotion is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hachi a dogs tale .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Im still upset after seeing it last Friday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Life is Beautiful (La Vita è Bella)

Always in floods by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Ring of Bright Water had me bawling at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The Mist - the very ending is such a gut punch, one of the few times I've actually felt physically sick to my stomach after watching something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Manchester by the Sea is absolutely heartbreaking. Especially as it takes you a little while to work out what has happened. I haven't been able to watch it a second time even though it's a brilliant film as just too upsetting.

Advertisement