Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-picanto-1-0-petrol-2008/22200479

OGYxNDcxMzcxMDRhMDVlYWY0YjZkMWFlYzZlMDUzYzdrDSw9ZjwNqwgddZfA0Iq0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY4NTk2NDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is cheap. 08 Picanto, NCT till May 2020, tax till July and its €1k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

NzEzZGI1YTM3ODc1Mjk0NTI4ZDA3OGJmZDY4ZDIzOTB7_Mj3po2hu-gZG526gIShaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY1MDE0NzJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Not normally a fan of the E46 and especially the coupe, but if this car is genuine, it looks cracking
    The wheels alone in mint condition could be worth a good chunk of the price of the car
    Ad says 70,000 miles, which again, if correct, would be awful low mileage on that 2.2 litre, 6 cylinder engine
    NCT was done last month, but backdated, so it expires in September, so in theory it could be put right through again and have NCT until Sep 2020!
    The keywords at the bottom of the ad are possibly what's putting me off, but maybe it's just a seller trying to appeal to a certain market?
    €1295

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Looking for something to get me over the next few months
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-1-7st-2008-new-nct-02-20-a-c-alloys/22189243?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

I'd be wary of 6 owners (5+1) on such low mileage - unless it was the same family due to the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Looking for something to get me over the next few months
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-1-7st-2008-new-nct-02-20-a-c-alloys/22189243?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social
    I'd be wary of 6 owners (5+1) on such low mileage - unless it was the same family due to the tax

If you take the average amount of time each owner owned the car relative to it's age then for 1k it wouldn't bother me.
    What bothers me more is it being flaunted as top of the range when it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Not a bad yoke for the money really.

To get a car with that mileage, loads of NCT and it's a 2008, in that condition for under a grand, it's got to be worth a shot.

Drive it for a few months and hopefully move it on at the same money again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Previous owners is 2 according to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I think some replies were mixing the BMW and the Pug.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

terrydel wrote: »

I was referring to the BMW. 6 owners doing about 12k each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Those e46 only look nice with the M-Sport bumpers, those standard ones look awful, totally take away from the "sportyness" of having a coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just picked up the latest banger, a 1.4 diesel polo, 06, 129k miles, tested til February for 900 lids.

Electric windows don't work after putting a new wing mirror on, so has a niggle, but I'm happy enough.

MjhjMWUxOWJkZDU1YWRiMGRjM2U5OTQ4YWZiMTA3ZDj6TNEgXxnSHxLSKoBAaPa8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY4NTQ2MjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Stick a set of wheel trims on this, and you have a nice 1.4 Corolla with NCT until the end of Feb 2020 and 4 new tyres!
    Taxed until the end of the month too, so drive it away. Asking €600. Surely could be bought for 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

Just picked up the latest banger, a 1.4 diesel polo, 06, 129k miles, tested til February for 900 lids.

Electric windows don't work after putting a new wing mirror on, so has a niggle, but I'm happy enough.

Looking for something similar, you did well there. What are they like on diesel being a small engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Jollyballs wrote: »
    Looking for something similar, you did well there. What are they like on diesel being a small engine?

I'll report back after a while. Literally just brought it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They're supposed to be very economical if driven easy.

Most of the smaller cars with low displacement turbo diesel engines are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

They're supposed to be very economical if driven easy.

Most of the smaller cars with low displacement turbo diesel engines are though.

Define easy lol, trying to drive at any sort of normal pace with Audi's and beemers being every second car makes me feel like a moving obstacle. Guess its nice to have alittle in reserve if needed.
    I'll report back after a while. Literally just brought it home.

My bad, will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Gorgeous car

That's just a sin!
    Bloody car costs less than 1 years motor tax :mad::mad::mad:

So count 2 years tax + the price =€5000. Not so bad when looked at like that for 2 years luxury motoring. Wonder what it cost back in 2000 ???.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    It's up to €1600 lads. He must read this forum:D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s320-new-nct/22186238

Probably getting too many low ball offers, so jacked the price up, The problem is, most people would love the car, but only see the tax, and then there's the insurance issue with a 19 year old car.. so maybe not too many enthusiastic buyers out there as you would think. Personally, if I was in the market for a car, I'd definitely be interested in it.

Probably disconnected the electrical plug from it's socket, take off the door card and have a look at the wiring cables, make sure that they are all connected.

• Advertisement

Define easy lol, trying to drive at any sort of normal pace with Audi's and beemers being every second car makes me feel like a moving obstacle. Guess its nice to have alittle in reserve if needed.

Tipping about at 90-100km/h on regional roads even 100-120 if avoiding harsh acceleration.

Driving along on a motorway at 130+km/h you'd be better off with a 1.9 or 2.0 turbo diesel car with taller gearing and more comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Picked up a 1.6 diesel Mazda 3 '09 last week. NCT'd until Feb, 180k km on the clock for 1900. Drives like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Burgo wrote: »
    Picked up a 1.6 diesel Mazda 3 '09 last week. NCT'd until Feb, 180k km on the clock for 1900. Drives like a dream.

Should last till February...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Should last till February...

you're thinking of the 2.0l.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭CoBo55

cadaliac wrote: »

All of them.. the 2.2 is probably the best by a slim slim margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

CoBo55 wrote: »
    cadaliac wrote: »

All of them.. the 2.2 is probably the best by a slim slim margin.

I think Cadaliacs point is that the 1.6 isn't a Mazda unit - yes it has its own issues - but I wouldnt be overly inclined to link the 1.6 PSA unit to the wider Mazda diesel crapshow.

It isn't a great engine but if it's a well maintained car then it can be trouble free.

They are VERY sensitive to servicing - need to be done on time.

Dropping the sump and making sure the oil pick up is okay (not blocked etc) is a good idea.

Sludging of the oil can be an issue - has presented as having the turbo faile and then the replacement failing again not long after as the sludging that caused the turbo failure wasn't fixed.

In an ideal world you wouldnt buy the 1.6 unless the servicing was top notch and the car well cared and driven etc.

But now the car is bought - id keep it well serviced, get the sump cleaned etc and see how it goes.

1500 euro cars always present an element of risk - especially diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ah its 1900 not 1500 - the general point still stands though :(

Nm-Vj-N2-Nk-MTJl-ZGY4-Yj-Y1-N2-Y0-NGFi-Mm-I4-Zjlh-YWMz-Njf-Pk7iw-AMu-Mq0-SXNXo07f-JZ.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-bmw-320d-m-sport-individual-final-price-drop/22039161

2004 Estoril blue msport e46 320d
    Test till the end of February 2020
    Supposedly 169k miles on the clock
    Looks very clean and well minded
    I can't see any visable rust either
    Asking €1550
    Last change of ownership was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭This is it

I really like the colour

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic but am I right in thinking it's near impossible/prohibitively expensive to insure a second car? There's been a few posted here than would be reasonable to buy and run and I'd love to have 2 cars, one for the dog to wreck and another one that wouldn't feel like a complete waste of time keeping clean. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement