Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-audi-a6-estate-1-9tdi/22171648

We haven't had one of these in a while! 00 1.9 TDI a6, NCT till March 202,0 €675

If it goes and stops its hard to go wrong at that money

Most likely the 110bhp tdi engine too which is often considered the best diesel engine the vag group have ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Most likely the 110bhp tdi engine too which is often considered the best diesel engine the vag group have ever produced.

Definitely, had a 98 Passat with that engine, written off by a drunk driver with 448,000 miles on the clock and still pulling like a train, a savage on drives though, it could eat through Mick's garage drives in less than 10,000 miles!! I had a heavier right foot back then!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had one for just about a week as a courtesy car back in the day after someone ran into the back of and totalled my Vectra. Didn't find it overly sluggish for what it was to be fair and adequate to keep up with the traffic ahead of me on all occasions bar none as I recall. The 1.4 Mark 1 Focus I drove once for example was noticeably slower.

For somebody looking for a runabout to tide them over for a spell you could probably do worse if the actual car and the price is someway right.

Depends what your used to then. I found it a bit gutless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Definitely, had a 98 Passat with that engine, written off by a drunk driver with 448,000 miles on the clock and still pulling like a train, a savage on drives though, it could eat through Mick's garage drives in less than 10,000 miles!! I had a heavier right foot back then!!

My first Passat a few years ago (on my 5th one at the moment) was a 98 also, and very same issue. Engine just kept on going and on long drives I used to get 61mpg if I really nursed it. Got fed up putting drives in it, both inner and outer so moved on to the next one then :D

ZTY5NmVmYmFkMzM2NmI1MWEyYmQ4ZTRkMmRhNjg3ODY07SlfqCD5eN-oGHo79N7haHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY2NjU0ODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT until next January
    Some service history and timing belt changed
    €395

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    My first Passat a few years ago (on my 5th one at the moment) was a 98 also, and very same issue. Engine just kept on going and on long drives I used to get 61mpg if I really nursed it. Got fed up putting drives in it, both inner and outer so moved on to the next one then :D

Headlights were dreadful, actually, they were borderling on being dangerous.

Headlights were dreadful, actually, they were borderling on being dangerous.
    I used to drive on full beam all the time and nobody ever knew the difference! Haha. Don't think I ever got flashed once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

I had an 2003 A6, 1.9 TDI Sports, AVF Engine 130BHP, 6 speed. Great car, but Irish roads and Audi suspension and steering links do not work well together. And any car that has "Sport" in it's description is an automatic jump in insurance costs. But aside from that, lovely car to drive. Plenty of power, and very nearly 600 Miles to a full tank. I'd be tempted by the one in the pic if I was in the market TBH.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I used to drive on full beam all the time and nobody ever knew the difference! Haha. Don't think I ever got flashed once

I did... Gave you the salute every time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

could eat through Mick's garage drives in less than 10,000 miles!!!

That's the same with most spurious parts. Fine for light use, but if you push on or do high mileage OEM is the only choice

Unless VAG parts are s**te as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That's the same with most spurious parts. Fine for light use, but if you push on or do high mileage OEM is the only choice

I've an 02 Bora from new 100BHP TDI, 160k miles, never replaced a drive and only put in the 1st ever wheel bearing 2 months ago. An unbreakable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've an 02 Bora from new 100BHP TDI, 160k miles, never replaced a drive and only put in the 1st ever wheel bearing 2 months ago. An unbreakable car.

+1 on the Bora, I owned one that was two years old at the time and put well over 50k on it and it needed nothing, it was my go to car then when I was "in between" cars last year, bought another one for E300 that had a years test and a few months tax, drove it on for about 5 months and not a knock or a bang out of it. Great cars, possibly because they're much lighter than a Passatt up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/reliable-rare-2005-fiat-panda-climbing-4x4/22177600

ZTNmODUyMDEwNWI2ZGE5ZmMzZmYyMGQ1NjVlZjhlZGOUiSKtv521qY4jsPR-LRNcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY3MDIxMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Panda 4x4 with tax till Feb 2020 and NCT til April 2020, €1750

Want. A lot!

€360 VW wanted for a drive back then, I got two from Otto and they were still in the car when it got killed.

+1 on the Bora, I owned one that was two years old at the time and put well over 50k on it and it needed nothing, it was my go to car then when I was "in between" cars last year, bought another one for E300 that had a years test and a few months tax, drove it on for about 5 months and not a knock or a bang out of it. Great cars, possibly because they're much lighter than a Passatt up front.

They bare absolutely no resemblance to a Passat in any shape or form, bog hopper heaps of ****e I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

They bare absolutely no resemblance to a Passat in any shape or form, bog hopper heaps of ****e I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

YAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

could eat through Mick's garage drives in less than 10,000 miles!!!

I fitted an SKF complete shaft in my A6 about 15k miles ago now, no bother with it so far. Was only about €125

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

bazz26 wrote: »
    That Mondeo is a big heavy car so the 1.6 feels a bit underpowered and as a result they are a bit thirsty.

They were discussed a few months back in this thread. Great engine but particularly thirsty over 100km/h due to it only being a 5 speed (I think the eco-boost is 6 speed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have a few cars nailed down just thinking is it worth getting the motor check or green light verification also. I have a lad who is a mechanic will do the actual test, should I bother with the check also?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I have a few cars nailed down just thinking is it worth getting the motor check or green light verification also. I have a lad who is a mechanic will do the actual test, should I bother with the check also?

How much are the cars?

From approx €2500 to €5k

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah because Passats are savage yokes kid. Especially dose tee dee red eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/convertible-2007-saab-93-convertible/22179912

Just passed NCT no mention of tax, one for the SAAB fans. 950 euro.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    From approx €2500 to €5k

I would only pay for a report on a car that you are actually going to buy, as in a few minutes before handing over the cash.

I would only pay for a report on a car that you are actually going to buy, as in a few minutes before handing over the cash.

Thanks for that. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/convertible-2007-saab-93-convertible/22179912

Just passed NCT no mention of tax, one for the SAAB fans. 950 euro.

Listed in the Breaker and Repairables section also for €800:

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/2007-saab-93-1-9-diesel-new-nct-as-16-june/21980955

He knocked €150 off for the broken stereo..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm considering a bangernomics prius. Are they worth it or does a potential battery problem rule them out. I've heard that battery failures are very common after 10 years and expensive to fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement