Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s funny, the December 2016 thread is also still active. Must be something about December babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thanks Molly. I have a scan picture in our family photo album because that baby was with me for 9 lovely weeks and was too precious to me to keep their loss a secret.

Lots of "mine" "no" "apple" "outside" and "car" in this house. She surprises us every day with another attempt at a word. She's a great little girl. A real boss though. I have the playroom split in half to stop her wrecking her brother's farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Has anyone else thought about the next bed for their toddler!! I know im overthinking and dont need to do it for a bit but trying to see what is best. So we have a cot bed in a small room not big enough for two.. The little miss is in that now, and plan to have mr. october in our room until maybe Jan or Feb see how it goes. After that im like mmmm we are renting so have one other room to work with that has a double bed in it a high enough one, think we both kinda think she will be too young to go into that bed.. What did ye do any tips

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We bought a second cot from Ikea when number two arrived.(21 month gap).First stayed in her own cot until about 2 and 5 months, then got moved into a normal single bed with a mesh rail on the side.At that stage, the second moved into the "good" cot (the first one we bought).Our second cot has been donated around to various friends as they needed it, they just bought their own mattresses.

thanks Shesty! I actually spotted the same cot bed we have for herself in a second hand store today and I am actually praying that maybe it is missing one side of it (so we can use it as the cot bed). We are just stuck as we have only one room with a double bed in it to work with.. so just thinking of the best thing to do, could fit the cot bed in there twud just be tight..One of the times i wish maybe we had our own place but sure what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi milly,

Our little one never warmed to the cot, when she moved from the next to me to a proper cot bed! We continued to fight with her (up numerous times in the night) for 9 months and then I told me husband I couldn’t do it any longer! I was exhausted so we gave in! We had a double sleigh bed and that’s what she’s in since 15 months! Way too young but we put the side rails on both side and it’s up against the wall!

She loves the bed! Puts her teddies in it and just loves the fact she can get out if she wants to! I don’t think she liked being confined to the cot to be honest! We started alternating sleeping with her for a few weeks to make sure she wouldn’t get caught in the duvet or fall out and everyone was sleeping all night no problem! And I’ll be honest still here 4 months later and one of us sleeps with her every night! Can’t do it forever but man am I loving the full nights sleep!
    I actually don’t think she would fall out even on her own! We have her sleep on the side beside the wall and if you had a pillow on either side she should be ok! But I’m not a sleep expert that’s just what works for us!

Also double is handy if they are sick as you can hop in beside them and you are taking your bed out of the equation which is why we initially went for a double! Not planning on sleeping there this long though ;) but look I get sleep so I’m not too worried

Hi Pocos thank you, ah sure it is whatever works for ye with the sleeping and how things work...Weird though isnt it with the cot that she never liked it, maybe it was the bars on it or the locked in feeling :).. They are all so different.. Oh the cuddles id say ye get when sleeping that way must be just loverly... I actually had to take herself into a single bed when we were on holidays as she would wake at 3 most nights and like that we all needed our sleep so it was easier to take her into the bed, and she loved the bed.

So she more or less is in a double bed and is all ok with it (she hasnt blown up admist all the rights and wrongs you can do nowadays).... MMmm I ponder if we kinda done that push the double bed up to the wall and worked it like that...

The thoughts of jamming the bed up against the wall drives me mad as I hate changing beds stuck to the wall but then the duvet and all that wont be on it so that will be a saver... Thanks again ladies for the ideas, everytime i think i have the rooms sorted something else happens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would hold onto the double bed for now anyway Milly because your husband might need somewhere to sleep in the first six weeks or so of the new arrival.One of you will have to be functional to deal with your toddler.

No.2 is a whole other ball game!

I meant to say, we just had normal cots, not cot beds.So they went straight into a normal bed when they outgrew the cots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My middle guy is three and a half, and he went straight into a normal double bed. I can’t remember when exactly, but it’s ages ago, I doubt he was much more than two. And it was because he took a notion one night and hopped into the bed and announced he was sleeping there. I subsequently took the sides off his cot to turn it into a bed but he was having none of it!

The double bed is looking like a winner then, thanks again all it is so appreciated. I had thought this was they way and then when you see her in the bed im like ahh she is too small but maybe that is just me not wanting her to be big enough for it haha. Was just up in Aldi there looking at a bed they have on sale was debating about it too. The other cot in the 2nd hand store was a bit of a no go...

No. 2 and no sleep oh god i can imagine, I was thinking the last day sure i never felt this tired with herself but then sure I had no one but the cat and dog to look after so I didnt have to do much, so no wonder..

• Advertisement

jaysus now im thinking about herself getting out of the bed and opening the door. Did anyones toddlers do this? Well i know but what do ye do, we are two storey and have a stairgate but wouldnt trust it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Milly33 wrote: »
    jaysus now im thinking about herself getting out of the bed and opening the door. Did anyones toddlers do this? Well i know but what do ye do, we are two storey and have a stairgate but wouldnt trust it

You could put a stairgate across her bedroom door maybe .

Didnt think of that, jes the place would be like fort noks... God I know you have to let them grow up and Im grand with all stuff like bumps and falls and her going, but when i thought of this earlier, it scared me to think of her falling down the stairs or coming out of the room without one of us there... I was back to no well have to get a cage :)

Yes, stairgate across the bedroom door here too.
    I just didn't want her in rooting around the bathroom and the like.First never budged out of bed.Second couldn't have given a fiddlers, worked out how to open the gate within weeks, and suits herself (although she is good at night).But yeah, I would put it on anyway.

Oh the horrors, god the things they would get into in the loo.. Horrible images of her using the toilet brush as a hair brush... Right so stairgate to be taken into account if doing the big bed or any bed really...thanks again...

Id say they can be savvy enough with the gates and even the car seats locks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You have to be one step ahead ! We used a long shoe lace tied in a knot on the stair gate for one of the kids !

One of mine arranged his teddies in the corner like steps and climbed up and launched himself over and onto the floor !
    Teddy man is now 40 and survived !!

Oh god that is gas haha.. So no major damage caused to Teddy Man!! Still laughing ! Going through all the replies here with himself we are skitting

Came across a new discovery which is kinda mean but so cute to watch.. Bette Middler Baby Mine from Dumbo two seconds into it and the bottle lip starts to wobble and she just starts to cry!! Discovered this by complete accident as I sing it to her but only know a few words, so was looking at it and bam she is gone cannot watch more than a few mins.. We were wondering is it something carried over from me, as there isnt a hope I could watch Dumbo again i think i would just cry and be very very angry at the other elephants..Weird though anyone elses little ones have something like this

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone’s lovely toddlers are getting on! Have the terrible twos hit? We’ve found DD turned two over Christmas and the tantrums are slowly starting to creep in! Any advice on how to handle them??

Her new favourite words are “now” and “mine”

Hey Pocos!!! Happy New Year to All!!! hope eveyone enjoyed Christmas, I still have a pile of stuff upstairs to put away but tis fun...

Herself has had a few tantrums too have the mine thing and well you do what she wants you to do (in a nice way)..

And the not sharing, she also likes to tell you what to do.. We just correct her really when she takes it too far, just to get to know when she is being bossy and playing...Tantrums are either "do you want a time out" or explaining things to her if she doesnt accept it then tis well off you go have your tantrum and well continue with the day, when you are ready :)

She was being bossy with my mum yesterday she wanted her bunny and the pencil, and was quite moody about it, and my mum just very calmly said well you have one and i have one, gave her the one she wanted more and that was it.. I think it is a very good thing to pay attention to your own voice when correcting. Not to shout or have an angry voice, have the same tone as normal...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Our daughter had tantrums before Christmas but they've suddenly stopped in the past week or so. She's been super fun to be around! When she had them though, we ignored her til she stopped, and asked if she was ready to say sorry and have a hug.

She knows all the farm animals at this stage, close family members, yes and no (no more than yes though :D) and some letters of the alphabet she can identify.

Thanks ladies!
    Yes seems to be the same as us! We tell her to go to a certain spot in the house and when she’s ready come back! Sure not sure does it really work but I feel she’s getting that time out and we discuss why she can’t do something when she comes back! Wanted to make sure we weren’t starting too young!

Much chat out of your little ones? The questions have really started here! Who’s that? What’s that? Where you going? Where is so and so? It’s mad the brain is constantly going!

Never too young for it!!! haha herself has her manners in all now, We say whats the magic word!! and we get please in sign and verbal tis funny...

Same with the chat, we have a good few words now and new ones everyday.. The one that amazes me is the things they pick up by themselves. We had sneezing when she smelt flowers which i dont think we have done but we must have along the way, she goes along and pretends to be a puppy on the floor walking on all fours, which we do have a dog but well the dog doesnt really do much..

I mean to ask how is everyone doing with dinner time? She used to be a great eater and now come dinner time tis getting a bit trying now. She will eat cereal, bread and fruit until the cows come home but a proper dinner nope...I am not too worried yet as she does eat healthy lunch and brekkie but just wondering any ideas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I mean to ask how is everyone doing with dinner time? She used to be a great eater and now come dinner time tis getting a bit trying now. She will eat cereal, bread and fruit until the cows come home but a proper dinner nope...I am not too worried yet as she does eat healthy lunch and brekkie but just wondering any ideas

No problems at all after a bit of testing. She's not mad on meat. She'd eat pasta all day so we started getting the large pasta shells that naturally scoop up some mince and she's none the wise :D. She'd eat anything else. Our daughter would have a 7 course meal if the option was there.

How old is she Milly?Coz quite honestly, I gave up on a varied diet from about 1.5 to 4.I kept it healthy, I don't offer options like sausages or whatever, but they do go quite limited in what they will eat....i keep dishing up the veg and proper dinners, but have accepted that my 3 year old will only eat a small number of dishes without a fuss, shepherd's pie, meatballs and pasta, bolognese, chicken and pasta and random stuff like rice and some veg and that. My eldest is 5 now and in the last 6 months she has suddenly really started to eat properly again, good roast dinners and that.I figured if they were good eaters to start, it will come back around once you persevere.

My answer to everything at the dinner table is "Don't pass comments on food, put it on the side of your plate if you don't want it" and "oh well, you will have to be hungry so"(in response to 'I don't like that or whatever).

None of mine will starve anyway!

Oh sounds wonderfull Cherryghost happy days!!!Great that she will eat pasta too it is such a great main part of the meal as such.. Words are not good today so forgive me :) just one of those days haha...

So tis ok Shesty! God they can be so funny.. I would be a bit like you now with the well if you dont want it, dont eat it and we (I) dont give her anything else that incs milk etc after dinner.. She does have the odd few snacks but nothing bad like the organics biscuits, and some of their wheat bars, yogurts etc but nothing like bars of choco or anything..

I just made up some hidden sauce there, was thinking perhaps it is a colour thing with her. So made a white sauce with some veg in it, and gave it a whizz will try her with this tonight and see... thanks for yer replies ladies

Ah I'd say it's partly a control thing and partly just a toddler thing.Suspicion of new foods.(although it doesn't extend to junk food funnily enough....present them with a previously unseen item like pizza or something and they will wolf it down fairly quickly...)I am trying to keep them in the habit of three decent meals a day and prevent too much fruit in between.I have 2 who would graze on fruit all day long, then refuse the main meals so I have to keep an eye on them.The middle one (3) doesn't look for quite so many snacks thankfully, but whether she will eat her dinner or not can be very dependent on what the humour is like!

A never ending spiral then!! Yeppee helter skelter here we come haha...

Tried her tonight with some fish and she ate 2 pieces and she was all mmmmm yummie yummie and then she spotted the garlic bread and that was all she wanted...The fruit is just mad i think you feel good giving it to them but there is a limit and also scutty nappies then to deal with... thanks for the tips Shesty, i was thinking of a pizza the other day might try and make a home made one and see how it goes..

Very true with the junk food too, they seem more than willing to try new junk foods and old ones too

• Advertisement

They do love the homemade ones. I would be lying if I said mine never had sausages or pizza-they do-just not every day as an alternative to dinner!I think the key thing is not to take it personally and get annoyed.If they at least try a few bites of something, you are winning half the battle.

Advertisement