Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still queue for Ryanair flights?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

What i dont understand is the people who stand up for 10-15 minutes after the plane lands. Does my head in.
    Especially when im sitting in the aisle seat with some muppet in the middle giving me the stink eye because i havent jumped up immediately once the seat belt sign is turned off.
    When you're in an aisle seat in row 27 and don't jump up as soon as the seat belt sign is off, you also have the joy of getting the crotch of some impatient gob****e shoved in your face for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There seems to be an etiquette of sorts when exiting on landing. Well that's what I've noticed over many flights so far.

Each row gets out in rotation. So row one, two three and so on no matter that you are up, case in hand and ready to run from the back.

Same applies if there are back and front stairs. That's been my experience anyway.

I always pay the few bob for priority boarding it is so worth it. You can check in for all legs, bags guaranteed in the overhead and so on. For a few euros. Sure you'd be mad not to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

There seems to be an etiquette of sorts when exiting on landing. Well that's what I've noticed over many flights so far.

Each row gets out in rotation. So row one, two three and so on no matter that you are up, case in hand and ready to run from the back.

Same applies if there are back and front stairs. That's been my experience anyway.

I always pay the few bob for priority boarding it is so worth it. You can check in for all legs, bags guaranteed in the overhead and so on. For a few euros. Sure you'd be mad not to do it.

The exiting on Ryanair can be akin to the Apocalypse.

I flew on Norwegian air (to Finland) recently and the exiting was so civilized. It was a pleasure - no shoving or bags being hit off others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I can understand the queuing in the airport to board if you only have hand luggage and want to guarantee you dont need to check it.

What i dont understand is the people who stand up for 10-15 minutes after the plane lands. Does my head in.
    Especially when im sitting in the aisle seat with some muppet in the middle giving me the stink eye because i havent jumped up immediately once the seat belt sign is turned off.

To be honest, I don't even understand why people get so upset about having to put their "carry-on" in the hold; It's not like everyone is carrying heaps of crystals in there. What's the big deal about having your case put in the hold? The 10 minutes "wasted" waiting for it at destination? Not like they'll change anything - and if they do, you've planned poorly - just like when you decided to carry a hold-sized trolley as your "hand luggage".

I've seen people delay flights by arguing with the cabin crew, who were desperately showing the screaming gits how all of the overhead were already filled up to the brim, to no avail of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't even understand why people get so upset about having to put their "carry-on" in the hold; It's not like everyone is carrying heaps of crystals in there. What's the big deal about having your case put in the hold? The 10 minutes "wasted" waiting for it at destination? Not like they'll change anything - and if they do, you've planned poorly - just like when you decided to carry a hold-sized trolley as your "hand luggage".

I've seen people delay flights by arguing with the cabin crew, who were desperately showing the screaming gits how all of the overhead were already filled up to the brim, to no avail of course.

Can depened. I had to put my bag into the hold once on a late flight from Cologne back to Dublin, that extra 10/15 mins waiting at the carousel caused me to miss the last bus back to Wexford, ended up having to sleep at the airport til the first bus the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Flying to a lot of people is commuting. You're describing sunday drivers at rushhour from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Agricola wrote: »
    If you are in the first bunch of people on, you board an empty plane, stow your bag over your head and sit down to watch the other 150 people climbing over each other, cramming bags in packed lockers and standing around in the aisle as they wait for other people to sit down.

First on, sit down, pop in the headphones and minimize hassle.

So.... in order to avoid having to stand for maybe 2 minutes in the plane, you stand for half an hour at the gate......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Can depened. I had to put my bag into the hold once on a late flight from Cologne back to Dublin, that extra 10/15 mins waiting at the carousel caused me to miss the last bus back to Wexford, ended up having to sleep at the airport til the first bus the next morning.

The exact same has happened to me - Rome - Dublin, late arrival and the 10 minutes collecting the bag meant I missed the Aircoach to Cork. Hailed a cab, found a B&B, paid 50 Euro for the night and got the coach in the morning. So it certainly happens, and in about 10 years of flying fairly regularly, it's been the one and only occurrence for me. If I have some constraint, I try plan accordingly - like bringing along a smaller bag that fits under the seat. That was the only time I chanced my hand - and it showed, very clearly.

You see the "you can't put my bag in the hold!" arguments on 1 hour flights leaving at 12pm...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

BnB wrote: »
    So.... in order to avoid having to stand for maybe 2 minutes in the plane, you stand for half an hour at the gate......

Makes no sense whatsoever.
    My version is to sit in seats at the gate, let everyone else on the plane when the gate opens then get on Paddy last when all the frantic shenanigans have abated and just take my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Because I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I've had my bag put in the hold and it's tiny. It doesn't bother me though as well, it's on the carousel when I get off and if they loose it I get a new wardrobe.
    What annoys me is the person bringing on what is clearly a suitcase as carry on.

I'd love to see them start clamping down on excessive luggage size again, partly for the entertainment value that you used to get
    It was great seeing people going mad because they tried to cheat the rules or wearing 20 layers of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I know I'm in a monitory and I never fly for work purposes so I'm never in a massive rush when travelling, but I always volunteer to put my carry on bag in the hold when boarding.

I'm a weakling and also very lazy so will get rid of my bag at the earliest opportunity available. The desk staff are always delighted with me cause most people refuse, let alone volunteer.

I'm a nervous flier and the stress of carrying it from the gate, lugging it up the steps, trying to find somewhere to store it and then trying to retrieve it to lug it back off the plane just doesn't appeal to me and I avoid having to do it as much as possible.

I see the benefits of keeping your bag if you are in a rush or have valuables with you but as neither normally apply to me, I think it's worth it and can do so with peace of mind.

I take my time getting off the plane (can't stand those eejits who start heading for the door when the plane hasn't even braked yet), go to the bathroom and 99.999% of the time my bag is already on the carousel by the time I head to it.

So many people refuse to check their bags that there's never more than 10/15 in the hold so they have them out very quickly.

Suits me better and I find it way less stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I know I'm in a monitory and I never fly for work purposes so I'm never in a massive rush when travelling, but I always volunteer to put my carry on bag in the hold when boarding.

I'm a weakling and also very lazy so will get rid of my bag at the earliest opportunity available. The desk staff are always delighted with me cause most people refuse, let alone volunteer.

I'm a nervous flier and the stress of carrying it from the gate, lugging it up the steps, trying to find somewhere to store it and then trying to retrieve it to lug it back off the plane just doesn't appeal to me and I avoid having to do it as much as possible.

I see the benefits of keeping your bag if you are in a rush or have valuables with you but as neither normally apply to me, I think it's worth it and can do so with peace of mind.

I take my time getting off the plane (can't stand those eejits who start heading for the door when the plane hasn't even braked yet), go to the bathroom and 99.999% of the time my bag is already on the carousel by the time I head to it.

So many people refuse to check their bags that there's never more than 10/15 in the hold so they have them out very quickly.

Suits me better and I find it way less stressful!

I wanna sit next to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Every time I'm at the gate of a Ryanair flight I pray that maybe someday, just once, that every passenger pays for a priority boarding pass except me.
    I would love to see the whole flight having to queue at the priority section, would be class !
    Would pay money to see that but they 'only' sell 90 priority seats. In the 'old' days you could usually buy priority when getting boarding passes but those days appear to be gone now.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    And what about the scum of the earth types who recline their seats right into your face as soon as the plane takes off so you can't even cross your legs or fcuking BREATHE without clashing with the back of their seat.

And no, just because you CAN doesn't make it right

Direct your air vent into their face and open it up full. They will soon sit up.

The exact same has happened to me - Rome - Dublin, late arrival and the 10 minutes collecting the bag meant I missed the Aircoach to Cork. Hailed a cab, found a B&B, paid 50 Euro for the night and got the coach in the morning. So it certainly happens, and in about 10 years of flying fairly regularly, it's been the one and only occurrence for me. If I have some constraint, I try plan accordingly - like bringing along a smaller bag that fits under the seat. That was the only time I chanced my hand - and it showed, very clearly.

You see the "you can't put my bag in the hold!" arguments on 1 hour flights leaving at 12pm...

If you really dependent on not getting unnecessarily delayed by your bag being put in the hold then priority boarding is cheap. Guaranteed to get your bag on board.

And lastly: my pet RY complaint. You clear security. You have plenty of time. You check the screens. 'Go To Gate' say the screens. So you go to the gate half a mile away. You know it's wrong. But - on the off chance they are actual boarding you head off anyway. And yup, you were right, 60 people queueing, 120 sitting (and you know the prioritys are sitting) and ......... no aircraft :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

joeysoap wrote: »
    And lastly: my pet RY complaint. You clear security. You have plenty of time. You check the screens. 'Go To Gate' say the screens. So you go to the gate half a mile away. You know it's wrong. But - on the off chance they are actual boarding you head off anyway. And yup, you were right, 60 people queueing, 120 sitting (and you know the prioritys are sitting) and ......... no aircraft :(

But why do you think that the priorities shouldn't be sitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

When I got a train for the first time in yeeears having been used to buses I couldn't believe the ignorance of a huge proportion of train users. Elbows everywhere.

A while back I was on the train at Heuston as everyone was boarding. An elderly, doddery man was shuffling into the seat across the table from me. It was taking him a while to get seated between sorting his luggage and just seemingly being a stiff. This was obvious to anyone who saw him. Some young one came up behind him while he was still in the aisle doing the shuffle into the seat. She was waiting not even five seconds when she said very loudly to him "COULD YOU JUST MOVE!". It's months ago now and I am still completely gobsmacked at her ignorance and rudeness and self-importance. She might have had to wait maybe another ten seconds before the aisle was clear for her to pass. Ten seconds! But apparently that was too long to wait. The lack of self-awareness of her! :eek:

• Advertisement

There is always the chance of lost luggage and it isn't that rare an occurrence.

In addition to this, many people don't like to put valuables in the hold. If I have a check in bag and a carry on bag. I pack the check in case with things that I wouldn't be too pissed off if they got lost or if the bag got stolen and in my carry on are the things I don't want to lose. (chargers, laptops, expensive sunglasses, items of sentimental value that are irreplaceable etc.). If I only have carry on, I want that to always come on the plane with me, because it is bound to have some valuables in it. I don't want to check it for that reason. And I think it's a good reason.

What annoys me is the person bringing on what is clearly a suitcase as carry on.

Small suitcases are perfectly acceptable as carry on luggage. The allowance is 10kg and the allowed carry on dimensions given mean that every passenger should be able to have a piece of carry on luggage of that size and they all should fit. Where the difficulties happen is where people have multiple items. Indeed small suitcases can often be neater in dimension than other types of luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's that sense of self entitlement that does it OP, this idea that 'I'm entitled to get onto the plane first' and 'I'm entitled to have my bag in the cabin'.

No you're not in either case - you're simply entitled to get yourself and your bags onto the plane - where the bag goes and how quickly you get on is dependent on capacity among st other things and is at the discretion of the airline.

People just need to sit down, relax and trying not lose sleep over something as simple as putting your bag into to the hold - 10 minutes extra getting out of the airport really isn't that big a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

It's that sense of self entitlement that does it OP, this idea that 'I'm entitled to get onto the plane first' and 'I'm entitled to have my bag in the cabin'.

No you're not in either case - you're simply entitled to get yourself and your bags onto the plane - where the bag goes and how quickly you get on is dependent on capacity among st other things and is at the discretion of the airline.

People just need to sit down, relax and trying not lose sleep over something as simple as putting your bag into to the hold - 10 minutes extra getting out of the airport really isn't that big a deal.

I, and lots of others, keep all my valuables and breakables in my cabin bag, I really, really don't want €6,000 of delicate electronics at the bottom of a pile of suitcases!

As outlined above by me and others, there are good reasons for not wanting your carry on to end up in the hold and if everyone kept to the size dimensions for carry on luggage, there would be not need for anyone to do so. I always refuse to put my carry on in the hold, and will continue to do so. :cool: I'm not risking lost luggage, stolen valuables or damage done to delicate items. If airlines find people refusing to put their luggage in the hold an issue, then they need to put their thinking caps on and find a solution.
    Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I, and lots of others, keep all my valuables and breakables in my cabin bag, I really, really don't want €6,000 of delicate electronics at the bottom of a pile of suitcases!

Having witnessed the way check in baggage is flung around at various airports, I don't blame you. And you'd only get compensated if the baggage is lost, not if damage is done.

Cianmcliam wrote: »

You could try doing what I, and I'm sure others, do and put them in your carry on.

My phone, kindle, camera, chargers for all these, cash and jewellery are always in my handbag - my cabin bag usually just contains my clothes and shoes, hairdryer and straightener and toiletries (I always put them into my case for ease after I clear security).

There's nothing worse than people whinging and moaning about putting their bags in the hold - it delays the flight, causes no end of tension on board and really is making a mountain out of molehill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

You could try doing what I, and I'm sure others, do and put them in your carry on.

My phone, kindle, cash and jewellery are always in my handbag - my cabin bag usually just contains my clothes and shoes, hairdryer and straightener and toiletries.

There's nothing worse than people whinging and moaning about putting their bags in the hold - it delays the flight, causes no end of tension on board and really is making a mountain out of molehill.

They are in my carry on? I don't carry a handbag and I don't think putting a laptop, DSLR, lenses, tablet, drone etc. into my second mini carry-on is going to work out! Not a chance in hell I would put that gear in the hold, I'd rather miss the flight.

People are talking about being asked to put their carry-on in the hold if they're among the last to board.

You are telling people to put their valuables in their carry on but to not moan when asked put the said carry on containing their valuables in hold. Rriiiight, that makes sense. :confused: Men don't carry handbags generally, and many women will put their handbag into their carry on case because something they are asked to, or just to make their carry on more compact.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    People are talking about being asked to put their carry-on in the hold if they're among the last to board.

You are telling people to put their valuables in their carry on but to not moan when asked put the said carry on containing their valuables in hold. Rriiiight, that makes sense. :confused: Men don't carry handbags generally, and many women will put their handbag into their carry on case because something they are asked to, or just to make their carry on more compact.

Carry On and Cabin cases are two different things are they not?

• Advertisement

Carry On and Cabin cases are two different things are they not?

Carry on luggage is the luggage you bring into the cabin with you. It can be any kind of receptacle that fits - handbag, small suitcase, sports bag, backpack etc.

Advertisement