Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still queue for Ryanair flights?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

To understand Ryanair's take on customer service go to youtube and take a look at the soup nazi episode of Seinfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    They are in my carry on? I don't carry a handbag and I don't think putting a laptop, DSLR, lenses, tablet, drone etc. into my second mini carry-on is going to work out! Not a chance in hell I would put that gear in the hold, I'd rather miss the flight.

Sorry, but by the looks of it you'd need some kind of special service if you need to move around this amount of expensive/delicate items while you fly; many airlines provide such services for a charge.
    What you describe is in no way, shape or form the "average" luggage for the "average" passenger, which is mostly comprised of clothes.

The reality is that people are stingy - they pay 9.99 for their flight, refuse to pay 20 Euro for the suitcase and then make a scene at the gate when their humongous bag is refused in the cabin.

No more than 10, 11 years ago top, even "low cost" airlines such as EasyJet included 1 checked bag in the ticket price and I can guarantee you that there were almost 0 people carrying "roll aboard" cases; Laptop bags were the standard "carry on". Then the craze started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Sorry, but by the looks of it you'd need some kind of special service if you need to move around this amount of expensive/delicate items while you fly; many airlines provide such services for a charge.
    What you describe is in no way, shape or form the "average" luggage for the "average" passenger, which is mostly comprised of clothes.

I wouldn't think it is that unusual to bring fairly expensive camera equipment and a laptop? Why would I need a special service when myself and millions of others have been doing this for decades?
    The reality is that people are stingy - they pay 9.99 for their flight, refuse to pay 20 Euro for the suitcase and then make a scene at the gate when their humongous bag is refused in the cabin.

No more than 10, 11 years ago top, even "low cost" airlines such as EasyJet included 1 checked bag in the ticket price and I can guarantee you that there were almost 0 people carrying "roll aboard" cases; Laptop bags were the standard "carry on". Then the craze started.

It's nothing to do with paying for luggage in the hold, I usually have a 15kg case as well. The fact is suitcases are regularly rifled though by baggage handlers, cases with zips might as well be wide open no matter what lock you have, conspicuous suitcases that are heavily locked or wrapped using airport wrapping services sometimes 'accidentally' end up on the wrong belt where they can then go missing. The only way to carry valuables safely on flights is to carry them with you or use an insured freight service which is unreliable and expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

IME most people who travel Ryanair frequently do so begrudgingly, secretly hating that their price point makes it the only option and despising them for their sneakiness in charging extortionate fees for add-ons like priority boarding, checked in baggage, a measly cup of tea, the steam of your piss etc. Then there's also the fact that typically you've paid more on actually getting to the middle-of-nowhere airport which is the only one they operate flights from than the cost of the flight itself and given that they just spit you in the general direction of the city you're trying to get to, will have another long costly train/bus journey on the other end.

So you get to the gate with your back up, expect the worst from them and from other passengers and do everything in your power to protect against all of the giant pains in the hole that come with travelling Ryanair.

I wouldn't think it is that unusual to bring fairly expensive camera equipment and a laptop? Why would I need a special service when myself and millions of others have been doing this for decades?

"Millions" use a phone to take pictures and carry a tablet; I'm already starting to me a minority taking out a full-size laptop at the security checks.

Certainly not "millions" bring a DSLR camera + various lenses, less than anything a drone reaching into multiple thousands Euro worth of equipment.
    It's nothing to do with paying for luggage in the hold, I usually have a 15kg case as well. The fact is suitcases are regularly rifled though by baggage handlers, cases with zips might as well be wide open no matter what lock you have, conspicuous suitcases that are heavily locked or wrapped using airport wrapping services sometimes 'accidentally' end up on the wrong belt where they can then go missing. The only way to carry valuables safely on flights is to carry them with you or use an insured freight service which is unreliable and expensive.

But most people don't, and they try to get away with carrying everything in the cabin. You see it every time - delays at the gate with plenty of idiots trying to "carry on" trolleys as tall as they are, and when you get to the destination there are four bags on the belt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Bambi985 wrote: »
    IME most people who travel Ryanair frequently do so begrudgingly, secretly hating that their price point makes it the only option and despising them for their sneakiness in charging extortionate fees for add-ons like priority boarding, checked in baggage, a measly cup of tea, the steam of your piss etc. Then there's also the fact that typically you've paid more on actually getting to the middle-of-nowhere airport which is the only one they operate flights from than the cost of the flight itself and given that they just spit you in the general direction of the city you're trying to get to, will have another long costly train/bus journey on the other end.

So you get to the gate with your back up, expect the worst from them and from other passengers and do everything in your power to protect against all of the giant pains in the hole that come with travelling Ryanair.

FR fly to main airports all over Europe these days - Rome, Frankfurt, Lisbon, Madrid, Barca, Copenagen, Amsterdam, Dublin. Brussels, Krakow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

It's not just people with huge cases that are asked to place them in the hold. Mine is a small suitcase which fits the dimensions and I've been asked to place it in the hold. Which I won't. My laptop doesn't fit in my handbag and isn't going in the hold, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The last time I flew with ryainair they gave me a tag fr my bag to put it in the hold as they thought they cabin might be full. I took a chance and ripped it off my bag and carried it onto the plane. I got a space over my seat fr my bag.

"Millions" use a phone to take pictures and carry a tablet; I'm already starting to me a minority taking out a full-size laptop at the security checks.

Certainly not "millions" bring a DSLR camera + various lenses, less than anything a drone reaching into multiple thousands Euro worth of equipment.

But most people don't, and they try to get away with carrying everything in the cabin. You see it every time - delays at the gate with plenty of idiots trying to "carry on" trolleys as tall as they are, and when you get to the destination there are four bags on the belt...

I fly several times a year with Ryanair and have rarely seen delays at the gate since they allowed a second small piece of hand luggage. They do stop oversize bags at checkin and if you are checking in hold luggage they often now offer to put your cabin bag in the hold for free. They also typically walk down the line of the queue asking people to put their bags in the hold so people with oversize bags can offload them there too.

Basically you want me and others to put expensive items at great risk so you don't have to see people queuing.

Basically you want me and others to put expensive items at great risk so you don't have to see people queuing.

This is it, pretty much. :D "Wah, I have to queue, wah!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I travel on business with similar equipment and on Ryanair too. Its all in locked flight cases, checked into the hold and insured to feck.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    It's not just people with huge cases that are asked to place them in the hold. Mine is a small suitcase which fits the dimensions and I've been asked to place it in the hold. Which I won't. My laptop doesn't fit in my handbag and isn't going in the hold, simple as that.

ANY laptop fits in a laptop bag that is small enough to go under the seat in front of you. I regularly travel with a 18 inches "desktop replacement" mobile PC, and it goes in its own bag - which incidentally is big enough to also accommodate my camera (nothing fancy, just a bridge, but still bigger than a phone), tablet and even some knick-knacks from duty free, all while still fitting under the seat. Not once I've been asked to put such case in the hold.

Rarely, I had to carry a roll-aboard of the maximum allowed size - at which point I always made sure to get priority boarding. Except that one time I mentioned, and it rightly stung me back.

Again, if you need to carry expensive items which take a lot of space, you need to plan differently. There are multiple ways it can be done - professionals in fields such as photography and videography travel regularly with expensive equipment without making a fuss about it.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    I travel on business with similar equipment and on Ryanair too. Its all in locked flight cases, checked into the hold and insured to feck.

Exactly. I moved high-level IT equipment across half of Europe in the same way. You don't NEED to "carry it on".
    This is it, pretty much. :D "Wah, I have to queue, wah!"

Very useful and mature comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bambi985 wrote: »

Going for the stereotypes, there, huh?! The three airports i use most frequently are less than an hour from the city - Dublin, Copenhagen and Berlin.

Passengers by this stage know exactly what they get when they book Ryanair and are prepared for it before they even get to the boarding gate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Small suitcases are perfectly acceptable as carry on luggage. The allowance is 10kg and the allowed carry on dimensions given mean that every passenger should be able to have a piece of carry on luggage of that size and they all should fit. Where the difficulties happen is where people have multiple items. Indeed small suitcases can often be neater in dimension than other types of luggage.
    My carry on bag is 55 cm X 40cm X 20cm.
    It is regularly the smallest suitcase in the cabin storage from what I've seen.
    Anything bigger than that is outside their dimensions, but in the last year and half or so, they don't enforce them anymore it seems.
    People are taking on huge bags in comparison

Grandeeod wrote: »

Insurance is not much good when you are in a different country and your gear isn't and insurance won't get your data back. Many of them also have large excesses and exclusions plus sneaky traps like having to report to the local police within 24hrs when the airline is still looking for it. I'd still keep essentials with me.

My DSLR, three lenses and a Phantom size drone all fit in a carry-on size backpack and it is totally free so I see no good reason to risk it, is there any good reason to?

Again, if you need to carry expensive items which take a lot of space, you need to plan differently. There are multiple ways it can be done - professionals in fields such as photography and videography travel regularly with expensive equipment without making a fuss about it.

Not sure what you are talking about here, the gear is all small but it's expensive, it fits in the standard carry on size. I don't make a fuss. Ryanair certainly don't care, it's only you and the others here that say the only reason to bring carry on is a sense of entitlement or some other made up reason that are making a fuss about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ANY laptop fits in a laptop bag that is small enough to go under the seat in front of you. I regularly travel with a 18 inches "desktop replacement" mobile PC, and it goes in its own bag - which incidentally is big enough to also accommodate my camera (nothing fancy, just a bridge, but still bigger than a phone), tablet and even some knick-knacks from duty free, all while still fitting under the seat. Not once I've been asked to put such case in the hold.

Rarely, I had to carry a roll-aboard of the maximum allowed size - at which point I always made sure to get priority boarding. Except that one time I mentioned, and it rightly stung me back.

Exactly. I moved high-level IT equipment across half of Europe in the same way. You don't NEED to "carry it on".

It's not the expense, it's the necessity. If you go for a weekend photo trip to Rome and you're gear gets lost, no insurance is going to compensate you when it shows up three hours before you get back on the flight home.

A friend of mind, back in the 90s used to travel to bowling competitions and always took one 15/16lb ball on board. It's not valuable, but the last thing you need in international competition is to have to get brand new equipment drilled to fit your hand an hour before you start.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's not the expense, it's the necessity. If you go for a weekend photo trip to Rome and you're gear gets lost, no insurance is going to compensate you when it shows up three hours before you get back on the flight home.

A friend of mind, back in the 90s used to travel to bowling competitions and always took one 15/16lb ball on board. It's not valuable, but the last thing you need in international competition is to have to get brand new equipment drilled to fit your hand an hour before you start.

Exactly! I don't care if my luggage is replaced due to being stolen if I don't have it when I need it. In addition, only stolen items get replaced. Do people think that if their laptop gets a bang whilst being handled by ground crew and stops working, that it will be replaced? Yeah, good luck with that.

To be honest, knowing that permissible hand luggage annoys some people here so much fills me with glee. You've little to be worrying about, lads. :D

My carry on bag is 55 cm X 40cm X 20cm.
    It is regularly the smallest suitcase in the cabin storage from what I've seen.
    Anything bigger than that is outside their dimensions, but in the last year and half or so, they don't enforce them anymore it seems.
    People are taking on huge bags in comparison

Some people here are bitching about anything bigger than a handbag or laptop bag. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

Well, it's a contraction of your posts so... you find your own posts immature? ;)

Anyhoo, they give dimensions for hand luggage. Once I'm within those and the weight restrictions, the baggage is coming on the plane with me. If it sets the teeth of some seething randomer in the queue on edge, even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

how else should they board, wait for their names to be called?
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Everyone has an assigned seat now and they're not going to start boarding any quicker just because there's a queue of people.

They now put bags in the hold for free if the flight is full meaning that unless they've asked you to do this you're all but guaranteed headspace.

So why the massive queue???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I don't understand this obsession with getting off the plane a couple of minutes earlier that other people.
    What's 10 minutes? You probably turned up at the airport 2 hours before the flight.

These people then stand up as soon as the plane touches the ground and queue while they wait for the doors to be opened and then, when you get to the passport desk at the other side - all these people queuing again.

Have you ever seen a pop eyed, oxygen starved terrier straining at the leash while the owner strolls along? Next time you do - think of the terrier as the passenger and the owner as Ryanair.

I don't understand this obsession with getting off the plane a couple of minutes earlier that other people.
    What's 10 minutes? You probably turned up at the airport 2 hours before the flight.

These people then stand up as soon as the plane touches the ground and queue while they wait for the doors to be opened and then, when you get to the passport desk at the other side - all these people queuing again.

Have you ever seen a pop eyed, oxygen starved terrier straining at the leash while the owner strolls along? Next time you do - think of the terrier as the passenger and the owner as Ryanair.

I think that is probably because once the plane lands people want to get their bag from the overhead bins as soon as they can. They don't want to be the person holding everyone behind them hostage as they rummage through the bins. Once you are now standing with your bag it would be a little pointless and uncomfortable to sit back down.

People are generally polite and will wait for the people in the seats in front of them to get up and out before you, this creates the queue of people not wanting to be the slow coach.

Im a frequent Ryanair flyer for business and the flights I'm on are nearly always completely full. I queue because If I don't I cant put my bags above me which delays me getting off the plane. If My bag gets stowed I am missing my meeting, Simple as. (Redeye flight to amsterdam leaves dub at 6:50 and arrives ams 09:30).

I just read my kindle while queueing, Tis grand.

You're travelling for business and your schedule doesn't allow for a potential 10 minute delay (the equivalent of waiting for a checked in bag)?

You must miss an awful lot of meetings if that's your approach.

Personally the sooner Ryanair get back to one bag only the better. Sick of waiting around on planes while people stuff half their belongings in the overhead lockers. Including btw all the people on this thread who tear off their yellow tags. Sure never mind about the 180 people you are delaying while you walk up and down the aisle with a bag you were asked to check on. Who cares about them eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I find you can either queue and get on first or you can.wait and queue i. The aisle of the plane waiting for the hoards to settle themselves.
    I'd rather queue first and get into my seat and relax while the rest of them rummage up and down the aisles and all the other getting in the way that happens on the plane after the first 20 or so have got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Everyone has to get off the flight sometime though so when is the correct time to start making a move? What if people have connections to catch? Buses etc?

Look, they don't announce "the plane has landed now" and every passenger teleports out of their seat to their final destination simultaneously, right?

Should we all sit there looking at each other after the plane lands waiting to see who cracks and tries to leave the plane first?

Let's say we adopt your attitude...

The flight lands at 14.30.

14.30 arrives and the plane lands but we don't want to seem like we're obsessed with getting off the plane first so everyone hangs back "what's 10 minutes" after all.

14.40... nobody moves. Stand off. Don't let them get to you. Don't crack. Don't be "that guy" that wants to be off the plane first.

14.50... everyone is getting twitchy now... one guy has missed his connection and another lady is calling her husband telling him "i dont care if little timmy is going to poop his pants it's only 10 more minutes maybe"

14.59... on your marks!

15.00... everyone get off the flight NOW! CHAAARGE!

Haha. Check out Fonzie here playing it cool on the flight. Acting like he's above all this hectic modern lifestyle stuff. So cool. So laid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

People are generally polite and will wait for the people in the seats in front of them to get up and out before you, this creates the queue of people not wanting to be the slow coach.

There's always that arsehole that's not though and that will charge passed you even though he's in the seat behind you and you're waiting to get out...and will fuel a domino effect of people charging passed you making it more difficult to cut across them and get out.

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    Everyone has to get off the flight sometime though so when is the correct time to start making a move? What if people have connections to catch? Buses etc?

Look, they don't announce "the plane has landed now" and every passenger teleports out of their seat to their final destination simultaneously, right?

Should we all sit there looking at each other after the plane lands waiting to see who cracks and tries to leave the plane first?

Let's say we adopt your attitude...

The flight lands at 14.30.

14.30 arrives and the plane lands but we don't want to seem like we're obsessed with getting off the plane first so everyone hangs back "what's 10 minutes" after all.

14.40... nobody moves. Stand off. Don't let them get to you. Don't crack. Don't be "that guy" that wants to be off the plane first.

14.50... everyone is getting twitchy now... one guy has missed his connection and another lady is calling her husband telling him "i dont care if little timmy is going to poop his pants it's only 10 more minutes maybe"

14.59... on your marks!

15.00... everyone get off the flight NOW! CHAAARGE!

Haha. Check out Fonzie here playing it cool on the flight. Acting like he's above all this hectic modern lifestyle stuff. So cool. So laid back.
    What in the **** are you talking about?

mdwexford wrote: »
    Find it bizarre myself.

I sit and wait and get on the plane pretty much last.

So do I, and in over ten years of flying Ryanair every couple of months, I've never had a problem boarding with my carry-on bag,.

On unavoidable occasions, the bag has gone into the bin behind me. In that case, I just sit and read my book while the inevitable queue forms in the aisle, and happily alight from the plane at my leisure.

I really don't think I'll be on my deathbed in 50+ years time regretting the time I spent reading instead of queuing miserably on that plane, or at some gate.

Relax lads, the plane is going nowhere.

Advertisement