Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still queue for Ryanair flights?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Bambi985 wrote: »
    And what about the scum of the earth types who recline their seats right into your face as soon as the plane takes off so you can't even cross your legs or fcuking BREATHE without clashing with the back of their seat.

And no, just because you CAN doesn't make it right

No chance of crossing your legs even if the seat in front is fully upright, unless you're quite the short-arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Yeah I never understood why people do that. They're just left standing there for ages. Or people clapping when the plane lands. And why do people need such big ass bags for carry on luggage?

Because they're not willing to pay the stupidly overpriced fee to check the bag in.

I see so many people take the piss though, with a big fat carry-on suitcase that's almost exploding at the seams, another big gym bag or hand bag, then a smaller bag or satchel and some plastic bags full of duty-free, all of which they feel the need to put in the overhead locker, hogging all of the space from other passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

fxotoole wrote: »
    Except for when you're seated next to an emergency exit, in which case you won't be allowed do so.

Doesnt matter - if you cant find somewhere for it and are in the emergency row, staff take your bag and they can stow them at the back behind the very back row or they find somewhere for it, then come back and tell you where it is. No big deal.

I feel like people who queue and obsess about where their bag is on a flight are people who only go on a flight once in a blue moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Same. And have never once had to put my bag in the main hold.

It's happened to me a few times. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Yeah I never understood why people do that. They're just left standing there for ages. Or people clapping when the plane lands. And why do people need such big ass bags for carry on luggage?

And what's with those bags of peanuts you get on planes? /hackycomedian

On the baggage thing, I like to maximise my carry on. If my allowance is 10kg, and I'm away for a few days and have no checked in luggage, I need most of that 10kg so I bring as big a carry on case as I'm allowed. Or if even I'm on longer holliers with checked in luggage, I still like to bring as much as I can fit in carry on, as I don't like to put anything valuable or that I'd pissed off to lose in the hold. I never take the piss and bring more than 10kg as carry on though and I keep it to one suitcase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im excited for my holiday

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im excited for my holiday

dont forget to clap when the plane lands.

Parchment wrote: »

Returning from my last holiday, we had a very stormy landing in Dublin. A lot of the plane clapped and it was well deserved, they were adjusting the wings until just about a second before we hit runway. Very strong crosswinds. I didn't clap myself but no problem with others doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I see FR have launched a raft of new initiatives, best one being ability to now check on on both legs of a return journey, prior to departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Been on a couple of flights where a few country boyos did that thinking it was the done thing in cultural parts - only to stop abruptly when they realised they were the only ones...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Been on a couple of flights where a few country boyos did that thinking it was the done thing in cultural parts - only to stop abruptly when they realised they were the only ones...

Its the norm on a flight to Poland. A round of applause is guaranteed.

I see FR have launched a raft of new initiatives, best one being ability to now check on on both legs of a return journey, prior to departure.

Ooh, very good! Anyone know what's the story with Aer Lingus in this regard?

Its the norm on a flight to Poland. A round of applause is guaranteed.

Yep, the wife is a Pole, we fly there a lot (Krakow, Katowice or Wroclaw) - every time, without fail, they clap.

Yep, the wife is a Pole, we fly there a lot (Krakow, Katowice or Wroclaw) - every time, without fail, they clap.

Ha! my other half is Polish too. The Poles are very funny flyers - we always have a bet on between us (when we fly to Poland) that whoever who spots a Pole unwrapping the tin foil on the homemade sandwiches at the gate/on the plane gets lunch bought for them!

Ha! my other half is Polish too. The Poles are very funny flyers - we always have a bet on between us (when we fly to Poland) that whoever who spots a Pole unwrapping the tin foil on the homemade sandwiches at the gate/on the plane gets lunch bought for them!

With kielbasa and gerkin!! They get on planes and sit wherever they feel like it and have bags the size of the Tatra mountains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Lots of references to lemmings and sheep.

Never really put much thought in the importance of expressing my unique personality by how long I queue.

Do you all skulk moodily around the corner until the queue has reached an optimum size that won't negatively impact your individuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I see a similar thing for trains, people literally prepared to storm through the doors without thinking about leaving whoever is inside waiting off first. All the more ridiculous when the driver has to change ends and the train is clearly not going to be packed to capacity.

With kielbasa and gerkin!! They get on planes and sit wherever they feel like it and have bags the size of the Tatra mountains!!

They are pro's at the p!ss-take with the carry on. Everyone has a bag, even tiny kids have huge duffle bags.

Best ever was on a flight back from Wroclaw, plane literally just touched the runway in Dublin and a dziadek (who had probably never been on a flight) stood up and started getting his bag down as the plane sped along the runway. The crew were screaming at him in english to sit down but he didnt even notice and carried on until someone pulled him down into his seat.

They are pro's at the p!ss-take with the carry on. Everyone has a bag, even tiny kids have huge duffle bags.

Best ever was on a flight back from Wroclaw, plane literally just touched the runway in Dublin and a dziadek (who had probably never been on a flight) stood up and started getting his bag down as the plane sped along the runway. The crew were screaming at him in english to sit down but he didnt even notice and carried on until someone pulled him down into his seat.

Every August, (or at end of any holiday) you see all the Babcia's and Dziadeks coming back with the kids after a summer in Poland. We send our little one very June for 10 weeks or so, and Babcia comes over then for a month or so!

I see a similar thing for trains, people literally prepared to storm through the doors without thinking about leaving whoever is inside waiting off first. All the more ridiculous when the driver has to change ends and the train is clearly not going to be packed to capacity.
    When I got a train for the first time in yeeears having been used to buses I couldn't believe the ignorance of a huge proportion of train users. Elbows everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The irony is that RyanAir introduced their high checked bag fees to try to persuade people to travel light with only a carry on bag so that they could minimise their turn around time.
    Then they started to squeeze a few more rows of seats in, so coupled with the few overheads taken up with safety equipment, there was even less over overhead space to go around. Now more bags go in the hold, in turn creating delays.
    Personally if I have a carry on bag its got stuff in it that I do not want to loose due to a handling error or theft. So I will queue early to get it on with me and be in an overhead within arms reach.

Every August, (or at end of any holiday) you see all the Babcia's and Dziadeks coming back with the kids after a summer in Poland. We send our little one very June for 10 weeks or so, and Babcia comes over then for a month or so!

Its really lovely - its great to keep the kids practicing their Polish too. I have sat beside some lovely Babcia's on flights.

Lots of references to lemmings and sheep.

Never really put much thought in the importance of expressing my unique personality by how long I queue.

Do you all skulk moodily around the corner until the queue has reached an optimum size that won't negatively impact your individuality?

My thoughts too.

Wait, WAIT, does that mean I'm a sheep because my thoughts aren't original? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If i have a flight of more than 2 hours i like to stand for a while before. Might as well stand in a queue as stand in a corner of the airport. If i am in a smaller airport all the seat s might be taken. THerefore i have to stand so might as well stand in the queue.

If i am short of time then i book a seat at the front of the plane and book priority board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

RobertKK wrote: »
    I saw people queuing for a Ryanair flight where the plane had not arrived at the airport.
    I and some others were sitting but there were not enough seats for everyone.
    The plane had not arrived for when last boarding was suppose to start, but once the plane arrived everyone was queuing.
    I think a lot were fed up sitting down...

I was flying back from the U.K. last year...last FR flight out,full to the gills....lengthy queue at the advertised gate.
    Myself and a couple of other pax sat down at an opposite empty gate,as the incoming flight landed...we noticed a sneaky gate change on the Monitor...with no audible announcement.....(Staff gone home ?)
    None of the queing folks appeared to notice,nor did the Agent poking at her iphone.....

We decided to slip away down to the new departure gate...just in case,and Bingo...That feeling of a Plan,coming together :D....we were checked through and down the stairs just as the Original Queuers and their helper copped on and began a Charge of the Heavy Brigade down through the empty departure lounge....it was surreal,with people actually screaming and scambling over others to get to the new Gate and give out shyte to the Agents cos they had lost their place in the queue.....including the Priority Boarders !!!

Mind you,even though we got through the gate first,we still had to wait in the Holding Pen on the stairs for another 10 minutes before they'd let us charge across the apron.

A planeful of 180 odd,highly indignant,deeply offended and outraged customers coupled with a half dozen self-satisfied,chuckling,lotto-winners was a joy to listen to....:P

The cabin-crew earned their allowance that night.

I've noticed that "Last Flight's Out",can often throw up unplanned situations and ad-hoc solutions :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

So does this mean that nobody has a drink in the bar before a flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Myself and my wife were waiting near the gate in Dublin airport about an hour before the gate was even due to open. There was a good few others doing the same thing. I bet my wife that if I stood at the gate with my bag that others would form a queue behind me. She reckoned not as it was too early so up I got with my bag and stood at the gate and within 3 minutes about 9 or 10 others joined me. I went and sat down again and joined the very end of the queue when there were roughly 15-20 people remaining, like I always do. I have never had to place my bag somewhere else, there's always room.

eezipc wrote: »
    So does this mean that nobody has a drink in the bar before a flight?

I dont really see flying as a big day out,its just a means to get somewhere. I dont make a day out of being in the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I can understand the queuing in the airport to board if you only have hand luggage and want to guarantee you dont need to check it.

What i dont understand is the people who stand up for 10-15 minutes after the plane lands. Does my head in.
    Especially when im sitting in the aisle seat with some muppet in the middle giving me the stink eye because i havent jumped up immediately once the seat belt sign is turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 cartman555

This exactly! Couldn't agree more

Advertisement