Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still queue for Ryanair flights?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Everyone has an assigned seat now and they're not going to start boarding any quicker just because there's a queue of people.

They now put bags in the hold for free if the flight is full meaning that unless they've asked you to do this you're all but guaranteed headspace.

So why the massive queue???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Not everyone wants their bag put in the hold, even for free.

I like to get on and make sure I can store my own bag near where I'm sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

thelad95 wrote: »
    Everyone has an assigned seat now and they're not going to start boarding any quicker just because there's a queue of people.

They now put bags in the hold for free if the flight is full meaning that unless they've asked you to do this you're all but guaranteed headspace.

So why the massive queue
    ???

Lemmings...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

People queue for every flight for every airline in every airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Only the first 90 are sure to get their bags aboard. Pretty much everyone else will end up with their bag stowed in the hold. That slows you down at the other end if you have to wait to retrieve your bag from the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Not just RyanAir.
    You see them queuing for Aer Lingus too, even though everyone has allocated seating.

They queue up about half an hour before boarding time, which is stupid.
    Standing for half an hour when nothing is to be gained from it.
    Sit down, have your coffee and read the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Can cost you 10 minutes getting off the plane if your hand luggage is 8 seats behind you, so maybe people want to ensure their hand luggage gets a slot directly overhead.
    Having it put in the hold would be even more of a delay getting out of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

To get overhead beside where you're sitting and to sit down while everyone else boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Get on, sit down, shut up.

Can cost you 10 minutes getting off the plane if your hand luggage is 8 seats behind you, so maybe people want to ensure their hand luggage gets a slot directly overhead.
    Having it put in the hold would be even more of a delay getting out of the airport.

... how?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Eponymous wrote: »
    Only the first 90 are sure to get their bags aboard. Pretty much everyone else will end up with their bag stowed in the hold. That slows you down at the other end if you have to wait to retrieve your bag from the belt.

I put my bag under the seat in front of me. Works 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's quicker to get off if you have your luggage to hand rather than waiting for it to be unloaded and taken to the carousel then loaded onto it and have a sticky fingered person take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

They won't always let you do that though. If it's a cabin sized case for example chances are they will make you put it below. If it's a holdall or a rucksack, you're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The key to flying with ryanair is to stick as close to the rules as possible and take any steps to minimise your time at their mercy.

So yeah, queue to ensure you have your bag over your head if you need to (I just stow under seat in front) and get the fook out of the plane at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Find it bizarre myself.

I sit and wait and get on the plane pretty much last.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do people use three question marks when one is sufficient?

The answer for both questions - because they see others do it and they think it's the thing to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    ... how?

If your bag is 10 rows behind and there is only front door disembarking you have to wait for a lot of slowarses to get their bags and get out before you can work your way back to get yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Eponymous wrote: »

Never once happened to me. I never queue and have probably been on 50ish Ryanair flights in the last 3 years or so.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Find it bizarre myself.

I sit and wait and get on the plane pretty much last.

Same. And have never once had to put my bag in the main hold. Whoever said "only 90 people" get to put their bags in the overhead is dreaming. I've seen people standing in queues an hour before boarding time. Bizarre sheep-like behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

fussyonion wrote: »
    Not just RyanAir.
    You see them queuing for Aer Lingus too, even though everyone has allocated seating.

They queue up about half an hour before boarding time, which is stupid.
    Standing for half an hour when nothing is to be gained from it.
    Sit down, have your coffee and read the paper.

I love it when they queue for half an hour before the flight and then I walk past them all with frequent flyer card :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Works 0% if you're any way tall, under the seat in front of me is where I usually store my legs.

That said I never queue. Pack light enough that it'll almost always fit somewhere or check a bag. The queue is not worth the time at the other end/cash saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I never got the rush to queue to get onto a ryanair flight. Queue for half an hour, so I can get on the plane first and sit in a cramped seat the longest.
    I try and be the last person on that plane. Ill sit there reading and relaxing in comfort until the final call is made.
    Generally works in my favour as I normally end up with an emergency row seat.

If my luggage gets put in the hold, so what. Ryanair disembark so far from the carousels anyway that by the time I get to the carousel, my luggage is on it.

I just actually really love queueing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I never queue.

I make sure I am the last to board at the rear of the plane just before take off. By that time the crew just want you on ASAP and don't care where you sit. There is nearly always two blocks of 3 seats reserved near the back door for wheelchair passengers if there are any of them traveling or not. Usually not. I take 3 seats for myself. Never failed yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

nc6000 wrote: »
    Not everyone wants their bag put in the hold, even for free.

I like to get on and make sure I can store my own bag near where I'm sitting.
    I just refuse to let them take my bag or say i have a connecting flight. They have never take it from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I never queue.

I make sure I am the last to board at the rear of the plane just before take off. By that time the crew just want you on ASAP and don't care where you sit. There is nearly always two blocks of 3 seats reserved near the back door for wheelchair passengers if there are any of them traveling or not. Usually not. I take 3 seats for myself. Never failed yet :)

Ha ! same. We never queue, get on throw the bag wherever and then ask to sit in the emergency row. Works everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If you are in the first bunch of people on, you board an empty plane, stow your bag over your head and sit down to watch the other 150 people climbing over each other, cramming bags in packed lockers and standing around in the aisle as they wait for other people to sit down.

First on, sit down, pop in the headphones and minimize hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I make sure I am the last to board at the rear of the plane just before take off. By that time the crew just want you on ASAP and don't care where you sit. There is nearly always two blocks of 3 seats reserved near the back door for wheelchair passengers if there are any of them traveling or not. Usually not. I take 3 seats for myself. Never failed yet

I always wait until last or thereabouts and then when I get on (with fake limp) there are usually nice legroom seats available, I then ask the hostess if I could take one as I injured my leg and every time I have gotten a nice seat with legroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I never bother queuing mostly i take a travel all ruck sack on Ryanair, recently I took a suitcase and the guy at gatwick wouldn't let me bring it on. I asked him for name tags, for his name, a lock etc as 5 people had the same exact tripp case and their was no way of identifying it for us. He refused so when I got on the tarmac I ripped the label off and brought it on the plane.

It's the fools with rucksacks and jackets and handbags in the overhead bins, they are supposed to go under the seat in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whenever I'm flying with my wife, she rushes to the gate to queue, I cant understand it. We have a seat paid for, they cant give it away like.

Advertisement