Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people still queue for Ryanair flights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

What is this queue thing you speak of?
    Who flies with the plebs these days?
    Hire your own jet,the boom is back pfft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I queue for my bag. I bring a small carry on suitcase which doesn't fit under the seat but fits in the overhead lockers. I've been caught a few times where my suitcase has had to go into the hold and you could end up waiting up to 40 mins after landing to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Wheety wrote: »
    To get overhead beside where you're sitting and to sit down while everyone else boards.

I was recently flying home and when I got on the flight a lady was putting her bag above my seat, no issue there except she walked halfway down the aisle and took her seat despite an empty space above her to pack her luggage where she was seated. It was obvious to me that she wanted her bags stored as close to the exit as possible so she wouldnt have to carry it halfway down the aisle when getting off the plane.

I thought I would help her out so I removed her bag and replaced it with mine. I told the air steward what I was doing. He approached her and told her that her bag was gong in the hold. She kicked off saying that she had it placed somewhere near the back. When asked why, I explained that she was sitting halfway up the plane and she had room there.

The air steward removed her bag and put it in hold as there was no more space.

So what has this to do with queuing...not sure but I think she had to queue to pick up her bag when we landed!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

frag420 wrote: »
    I was recently flying home and when I got on the flight a lady was putting her bag above my seat, no issue there except she walked halfway down the aisle and took her seat despite an empty space above her to pack her luggage where she was seated. It was obvious to me that she wanted her bags stored as close to the exit as possible so she wouldnt have to carry it halfway down the aisle when getting off the plane.

I thought I would help her out so I removed her bag and replaced it with mine. I told the air steward what I was doing. He approached her and told her that her bag was gong in the hold. She kicked off saying that she had it placed somewhere near the back. When asked why, I explained that she was sitting halfway up the plane and she had room there.

The air steward removed her bag and put it in hold as there was no more space.

So what has this to do with queuing...not sure but I think she had to queue to pick up her bag when we landed!?

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT0d6F0I3TAhWdHsAKHQHiBhkQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fgallery%2Fo5ECfhL&psig=AFQjCNGRC6vdWpCnalmSqqvnYyo-UqLJEQ&ust=1491492324862810

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Deagol wrote: »
    I love it when they queue for half an hour before the flight and then I walk past them all with frequent flyer card :D:D

'Cept FR don't have a frequent flyer programme, unless you mean priority (paid) boarding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Im a frequent Ryanair flyer for business and the flights I'm on are nearly always completely full. I queue because If I don't I cant put my bags above me which delays me getting off the plane. If My bag gets stowed I am missing my meeting, Simple as. (Redeye flight to amsterdam leaves dub at 6:50 and arrives ams 09:30).

I just read my kindle while queueing, Tis grand.

Im a frequent Ryanair flyer for business and the flights I'm on are nearly always completely full. I queue because If I don't I cant put my bags above me which delays me getting off the plane. If My bag gets stowed I am missing my meeting, Simple as. (Redeye flight to amsterdam leaves dub at 6:50 and arrives ams 09:30).

I just read my kindle while queueing, Tis grand.

It's actually worth, IMO, paying for priority boarding with FR in these cases. I always pay a couple of € for it.

It's actually worth, IMO, paying for priority boarding with FR in these cases. I always pay a couple of € for it.

I cant expense PB and it builds quickly if you travel frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I saw people queuing for a Ryanair flight where the plane had not arrived at the airport.
    I and some others were sitting but there were not enough seats for everyone.
    The plane had not arrived for when last boarding was suppose to start, but once the plane arrived everyone was queuing.
    I think a lot were fed up sitting down...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Steve F wrote: »
    What is this queue thing you speak of?
    Who flies with the plebs these days?
    Hire your own jet,the boom is back pfft!!

Jetsmart membership 15k a year, private plane travel isn't just for the rich and famous anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

thelad95 wrote: »
    Everyone has an assigned seat now and they're not going to start boarding any quicker just because there's a queue of people.

They now put bags in the hold for free if the flight is full meaning that unless they've asked you to do this you're all but guaranteed headspace.

So why the massive queue???

Wouldn't you have to queue eventually anyway? It's not like every passenger can arrive on the plane and in their seat simultaneously, right?

If there are no free seats around the gate when I get there then why not just stand in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Every time I'm at the gate of a Ryanair flight I pray that maybe someday, just once, that every passenger pays for a priority boarding pass except me.
    I would love to see the whole flight having to queue at the priority section, would be class !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Because people are a bit dumb. I see it all the time, same with aer lingus. I guess they want to ensure that their cabin luggage is stored near them. Same with the priority boarding saps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Every time I'm at the gate of a Ryanair flight I pray that maybe someday, just once, that every passenger pays for a priority boarding pass except me.
    I would love to see the whole flight having to queue at the priority section, would be class !

But that would guarantee you'd be last to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I get not wanting to wait at baggage reclaim on the other side. I've found a clever way to get around not queuing and having to put bags in the hold.
    I rip that bloody yellow tag off before getting to the aircraft. There you go. Simple as. The staff on board dont check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about the guys queueing in order to put their bags at the front, while they are actually not sitting at the front. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I put my bag under the seat in front of me. Works 100%.

Except for when you're seated next to an emergency exit, in which case you won't be allowed do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

iDave wrote: »
    But that would guarantee you'd be last to board.
    no, wheelchair users are last on and last off, when i fly anyway, as i use one

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

fxotoole wrote: »
    Except for when you're seated next to an emergency exit, in which case you won't be allowed do so.

Not a huge issue when you've assigned seat numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What about the old simple paranoia of worrying that you'll miss the flight? Airports are large places, and all the decent facilities are miles from the gate. Very easy to get distracted and miss a boarding announcement. One you're at the gate there's only ever seating for about a quarter of the passengers, so if you're going to have to stand, why not queue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Parchment wrote: »
    Ha ! same. We never queue, get on throw the bag wherever and then ask to sit in the emergency row. Works everytime!

Same, but I never ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

As an add on to this conversation, what about all the people who unbuckle their belts and try to jump up out of the seat as soon as it stops... It's not as if you can get off immediately, crew do need to put the steps up and open doors. I think they should just make it compulsary for people to disembark in order of their seat numbers back along and then maybe people would just chillax instead of trying to clamber out over the person in the seat beside them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

iDave wrote: »
    I get not wanting to wait at baggage reclaim on the other side. I've found a clever way to get around not queuing and having to put bags in the hold.
    I rip that bloody yellow tag off before getting to the aircraft. There you go. Simple as. The staff on board dont check.

Yup, I did this for the wife's bag a while ago. Herself got all nervous, "what if they catch us?". "And do what? Put your bag in the hold? You're not getting arrested" :pac:

Anybody else not a fan of the allocated seating?

I used to enjoy getting to the airport quite late, boarding more or less last, picking a middle seat in about row 3 (sorry about making you stand up missus, if you weren't too important to sit beside your fellow man you could have avoided the hassle :D ), bag under the seat in front (you can't do that if in the front row so 2nd/3rd row is always better), then I'm in the first 5ish people off the plane and on my merry way. . . .not anymore though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

And what about the scum of the earth types who recline their seats right into your face as soon as the plane takes off so you can't even cross your legs or fcuking BREATHE without clashing with the back of their seat.

And no, just because you CAN doesn't make it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

To paraphrase louis ck

Stop complaining and whinging people, you're going to be sitting in a chair flying through the sky.

Haven't seen a reclining seat on a Ryanair flight in years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bambi985 wrote: »
    And what about the scum of the earth types who recline their seats right into your face as soon as the plane takes off so you can't even cross your legs or fcuking BREATHE without clashing with the back of their seat.

I don't think they've been able to recline for a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    As an add on to this conversation, what about all the people who unbuckle their belts and try to jump up out of the seat as soon as it stops... It's not as if you can get off immediately, crew do need to put the steps up and open doors. I think they should just make it compulsary for people to disembark in order of their seat numbers back along and then maybe people would just chillax instead of trying to clamber out over the person in the seat beside them!

Yeah I never understood why people do that. They're just left standing there for ages. Or people clapping when the plane lands. And why do people need such big ass bags for carry on luggage?

Bambi985 wrote: »

No reclining on Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I like to enjoy a beer at the gate if I have no immediate work on the other side. If work is immediate I like to enjoy a coffee. No matter what, if flying Ryanair/Aer Lingus, I just ramble on last anyway. If they want my bag for the hold, I don't care. But I do enjoy watching the queue of people.

Recently though, arriving into T1 in Dublin has become a nightmare and it doesn't matter if Ryanair leave your bag behind, because again you get to passport control, they could fly back and get it for you.

Advertisement