Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you get a break/holiday this year ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    You could have called in here for a cup of tea

I thought about it alright but you were only just back from your own trip. If your house is anything like ours, it takes a couple of days for things to settle.

But I'll be up that side later in the summer and I'll give a call then if it suits you.

And thanks for the invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Back yesterday after a few days up country. Went to a concert with the eldest lad on Thursday night, Green Day/Rancid in the Royal Hospital. Fantastic concert, my first time seeing both bands and hopefully not the last.

Then up to Donore for the night and onto Belfast for the Titanic experience. I wasn't much interested going to see this but it's very enjoyable. We all really enjoyed it, took about 2 hours to do at our leisure but the youngest was getting hungry so we left to do a bit of shopping before heading back to Donore and onto the Battle of the Boyne experience the following day. We could have done Newgrange as well but we weren't willing to wait too late into the day to see it but we will book early in future and get that done.

It's nice to get away for a few days, though, but it's nice to be back too.

Did ye go up on the hill of Tara??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

We were in lanzarote for a wedding at Easter.
    Due to go to Perth for Christmas visiting OHs parents. But reckon we will do the usual- Dublin around the horse show and tullamore for the show on the way home. Could do with a break. The mother is full on these days and none of the brothers and sisters visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'd love a week away now but not going to happen until the end of the year. Anyone recommend somewhere sunny for a week in October/November?

Did ye go up on the hill of Tara??

No, ran out of time. Kids wanted to be back for the start of the championship but decided that a bit of retail therapy was more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'd love a week away now but not going to happen until the end of the year. Anyone recommend somewhere sunny for a week in October/November?

Cork, ye can cover the maize pit when yer down shir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

No, ran out of time. Kids wanted to be back for the start of the championship but decided that a bit of retail therapy was more enjoyable.

Good bit of history in county Meath..... The farmland isn't too bad either! Tis 6 or 7 yrs ago since I left the place... Must go back sometime and see has it changed much....

Do your crowd play hurling?

All bar the eldest. Second lad is handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Canarys/Morocco/Greece will all be still in the 20s then, loads of choice anywhere in the Mediterranean 2bh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I'm just finished week 1 of a 2 week break with the kids and oh in Spain. Thought I would hate it but must admit I'm loving it. All inclusive so no worries about buying grub or kids not eating as they'll find something they like everyday and free vino for parents. The kids clubs are amazing and really feel like we're getting a break too. They have a half hour swimming lesson every day and can swim now without floats etc. Young lad now into his crazy golf so we go play together and spend an hour or so with daughter in the pool so real family time. I'm a convert I must admit. ''Tis a hoor of a place though if you have morals about food waste. Unreal is all I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

..... ''Tis a hoor of a place though if you have morals about food waste. Unreal is all I'd say.

Is that an Irish thing though? The famine and all that.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

..... ''Tis a hoor of a place though if you have morals about food waste. Unreal is all I'd say.

Is that an Irish thing though? The famine and all that.
    Certainly doesn't appear to be an English, Welsh or Scottish trait. I'd say there's a fair few Irish waste grub too, it just grates with me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Caravan has been out a few times already, and again soon for a weekend in the north.
    Then 4 nights in Killarney before hitting ferry to France for a few weeks.

Would hope two more weekends after France before storing her away after Halloween weekend break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

_Brian wrote: »
    Caravan has been out a few times already, and again soon for a weekend in the north.
    Then 4 nights in Killarney before hitting ferry to France for a few weeks.

Would hope two more weekends after France before storing her away after Halloween weekend break.
    Always wondered about caravans: When you dig them out of the shed again after storage they must be very damp and musty smelling? And then the fear of families of mice snuggled up in the soft furnishings....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Always wondered about caravans: When you dig them out of the shed again after storage they must be very damp and musty smelling? And then the fear of families of mice snuggled up in the soft furnishings....

Why would it be damp ??
    Ours can sit out over winter and be snuff dry inside, having it in a shed just extends its life and keeps the decals looking fresh longer. I drain down the water anyway so frost isn't a worry either. Leave windows on airlock, all press doors open for air circulation.

Caravans that smell musty are either damp from taking in water or not being cleaned properly.

Mice you have to take precautions, neat jeys fluid round the wheels and stands, ultrasonic repeller, two good cats. But I keep a single mouse trap in the middle of the floor so I can quickly peep in and check when I pass it, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest and I are heading to my brothers place in Donegal Thursday week for a couple of days. My brother booked a charter sea fishing trip for us and my nieces/nephew. I love fishing (fresh water) but I'm not a fan of the sea/sea fishing as I don't like the smell - I reckon I will probably be sick on the boat :o.
    We will be heading back to NCD for the Tyrone V Dublin match in Croker on Sunday.
    Looking forward to a good game of football.
    Up the Dubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Base price wrote: »
    Youngest and I are heading to my brothers place in Donegal Thursday week for a couple of days. My brother booked a charter sea fishing trip for us and my nieces/nephew. I love fishing (fresh water) but I'm not a fan of the sea/sea fishing as I don't like the smell - I reckon I will probably be sick on the boat :o.
    We will be heading back to NCD for the Tyrone V Dublin match in Croker on Sunday.
    Looking forward to a good game of football.
    Up the Dubs :D

You're some lady enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Doubtful now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Doubtful now.

Have a few days booked end of next week but i silage to cut and things arent great looking weather wise so might have to stay at home and let herself and youngsters off.pain in the ass if it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

K.G. wrote: »
    Have a few days booked end of next week but i silage to cut and things arent great looking weather wise so might have to stay at home and let herself and youngsters off.pain in the ass if it comes to it

heading off middle of next week for a short break, still one field of silage to cut maybe weather will cheer up, either ways himself definitely needs the break, kids looking forward to going too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mine got pushed out till mid Oct, was going to hit Croatia/Slovenia but weather will have changed then, so may head on further, looking at Turkey at the minute. Off the beaten track, reasonably cheap, within 5hrs flight of Dublin and plenty of activities is I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Went to Westport there the bank holiday weekend. Nice spot up that side of country. Good to get away from the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭moneyheer

Off up to Westport on Friday for few days on Friday 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Went to Dublin for match sun came down Monday. Still paying for It, pushing on now to be stumbling out of coppers at 4 in the morning. Might see about a few weekend later on in year or maybe a trip to the states if I can, big if there tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Finished here tomorrow at 5.30 and back 6am Monday week, can't bloody wait.

3rd cut ready to cut but didn't attempt this week due to weather, I hope it's done while I'm away. If it's not we'll do following week.

Passed Bord Bia audit today, glad it's off the list

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Bollocks anyway ,id nearly be happier it was raining next few days.trying to make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Bollocks anyway ,id nearly be happier it was raining next few days.trying to make up my mind

go, kids grow up too fast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

FFS cop on to yourself :) Go on your family holiday and enjoy yourself, as FF said your children will be adults in no time. I have never regretted making time to be with my son's ahead of the farm/cattle and I'm a bit longer in the tooth than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

What will the contractor charge you to haul and stack if it's bales you're making? You can probably have your cake and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What will the contractor charge you to haul and stack if it's bales you're making? You can probably have your cake and eat it.

Do I remember you saying ye go on a 3 week holidays ? Did ye go this year ?

Advertisement