Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC 11 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Also just noticed that my bootloader is still unlocked. Taught switching back to stock unrooted would of locked it.

Still cant root it without pc though.

Here's something I just taught if I send my phone into be fixed and it's covered by warranty does the fact the bootloader is still unlocked void the warranty?

How do I fix this?

Here's something I just taught if I send my phone into be fixed and it's covered by warranty does the fact the bootloader is still unlocked void the warranty?

How do I fix this?

AFAIK you can only lock the bootloader with a command when you're connected to a PC via USB. It won't matter for warranty on a hardware fault anyway.

Basil3 wrote: »
    AFAIK you can only lock the bootloader with a command when you're connected to a PC via USB. It won't matter for warranty on a hardware fault anyway.

Cheers thanks.! Looks like I have to send it bank anyway nothing else can fix it.

So sent my phone into get it sorted hopefully done asap as im within one now!

Has anyone upgraded from the u11 this year and what phone did they get?

Im still in two minds about it i might cash in on what i have now but im thinking is it worth it? You hear all the talk of Samsung doing big things next year with the s10 etc etc should i just wait till next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I got the U12+. I think its great. But its pretty much the 11 is a different form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Hey.

Just upgraded from my U11 to the Huawei P20 Pro.

I’ve been with HTC since the original Desire days so it’s taking a while to get my head around not working in Sense anymore.

Overall though, I feel I’ve taken a definite leap forward from HTC - while still feeling a bit guilty for leaving a sinking ship in many ways.

I’ve had my P20 Pro for about a week now and I think another week will probably see me fall completely in love with it - I’m almost there as it is.

Got a bit of cash for my U11 so was happy to upgrade with Eir.

Thanks for the replys!

I think ill be moving from htc one way or another anyway. I actually really liked the look of the p20 pro what really turned me off was the fact you can no longer unlock the bootloader. Rooting is big thing for me not just for custom firmware as much more so i have control over the apps backups etc of my phone.

Im thinking of the s9 or the s9+ but with the s10 coming next year which many are saying will be a big upgrade i dunno.

Thanks for the replys!

I think ill be moving from htc one way or another anyway. I actually really liked the look of the p20 pro what really turned me off was the fact you can no longer unlock the bootloader. Rooting is big thing for me not just for custom firmware as much more so i have control over the apps backups etc of my phone.

Im thinking of the s9 or the s9+ but with the s10 coming next year which many are saying will be a big upgrade i dunno.

What do you mean by apps backup of your phone? After using rooted devices since before Android existed, I haven't used rooted phones for the last year or so, and I really don't miss it.

Years ago, android was very basic and custom ROMs had a lot of useful features. Custom kernels used to also have a big impact on battery life and performance. I don't think any of those benefits really exist any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks for the replys!

To be honest it comes across on this thread that you haven't a clue what you're doing. There's no reason to root a phone at this stage as Android has evolved so much. You seem to be just creating problems for yourself.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by apps backup of your phone? After using rooted devices since before Android existed, I haven't used rooted phones for the last year or so, and I really don't miss it.

Years ago, android was very basic and custom ROMs had a lot of useful features. Custom kernels used to also have a big impact on battery life and performance. I don't think any of those benefits really exist any more.

I normally just like having a backup of the phone in its full state that i can restore if anything goes south. I always found doing this in twrp easy.

To be honest the main reason i root is to have control over whats on the phone. I know you can disable apps you dont use but id much rather just delete them.

If theres a way of doing that nice and easy without root great! i just havent come across it.

Just found an app actually package disabler for Samsung. Could be something to look into i guess!

To be honest it comes across on this thread that you haven't a clue what you're doing. There's no reason to root a phone at this stage as Android has evolved so much. You seem to be just creating problems for yourself.

Ive rooted every phone ive had since the htc hero and never caused any issues. Was mostly always just bugs or whatever that you would get the odd time.

Theres nothing i can do about the usb not working anymore every phone ive had since i was a teenager i still have the vast majority of them i look after them!!!

Ive just gotten so used to rooting every phone i buy if i find i dont need to anymore and i can have the same user experience without doing so ill stop!

SIM unlocked - just got a system update to 2.33.401.19. Now on security patch level 01-Jun-2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

SIM unlocked - just got a system update to 2.33.401.19. Now on security patch level 01-Jun-2018.

Got updated to 2.42.400.7, June 1st 2018 security patch. Dual SIM unlocked from EGlobal. Battery life appears to have tanked since.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Got updated to 2.42.400.7, June 1st 2018 security patch. Dual SIM unlocked from EGlobal. Battery life appears to have tanked since.

I haven't noticed any impact on my battery life since the update.

Updated all the apps and did a restart. Battery seems to be holding up steadier again. The drain beforehand was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some micro cracks on screen corner.

Am I best to send it back to HTC for a repair or try to get it done locally?

I know I'll have to pay.

Looks like HTC U11 will be getting Android 9.0 sometime later this month.

https://twitter.com/htc/status/1126925854997528576?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭GIMP

Looks like HTC U11 will be getting Android 9.0 sometime later this month.

https://twitter.com/htc/status/1126925854997528576?s=19

Its now late May, anyone recieve an update yet?

GIMP wrote: »
    Its now late May, anyone recieve an update yet?

Don't think it has come to EU yet, has started being pushed in Asia, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The headphones that came packaged with my U11 packed it in this morning. A few days ago the right ear stopped and today the left one.

The 3.5mm to USB-C adapter that came with it also doesn't work, regardless of what headphones I put in it doesn't recognise that anything is plugged in and just plays through the phone speaker.

Any suggestions for alternative set? I'm traveling this weekend so thought I'd get away with not replacing them yet but I really can't go the weekend, multiple flights etc, without a pair. I already have a really good pair of standard 3.5mm jack headphones that would be ideal if I could use them.

My options are:

1. New USB-C headphones
    2. New 3.5mm to USB-C adapter (do physical stores carry these?)
    3. New bluetooth headphones

At this stage I'm probably going to have to just buy in the airport as there's no time for a delivery before I go and I'm in work till I leave. Budget of ~ €80 I'd say though I'd stretch for a really good option

8-10 wrote: »
    The headphones that came packaged with my U11 packed it in this morning. A few days ago the right ear stopped and today the left one.

The 3.5mm to USB-C adapter that came with it also doesn't work, regardless of what headphones I put in it doesn't recognise that anything is plugged in and just plays through the phone speaker.

Any suggestions for alternative set? I'm traveling this weekend so thought I'd get away with not replacing them yet but I really can't go the weekend, multiple flights etc, without a pair. I already have a really good pair of standard 3.5mm jack headphones that would be ideal if I could use them.

My options are:

1. New USB-C headphones
    2. New 3.5mm to USB-C adapter (do physical stores carry these?)
    3. New bluetooth headphones

At this stage I'm probably going to have to just buy in the airport as there's no time for a delivery before I go and I'm in work till I leave. Budget of ~ €80 I'd say though I'd stretch for a really good option

Are you sure there's not an issue with your USB port? If both the adaptor and the USB-C headphones are not working, that would point to the actual port being the issue.....so only BT headphones will solve your problem.

Are you sure there's not an issue with your USB port? If both the adaptor and the USB-C headphones are not working, that would point to the actual port being the issue.....so only BT headphones will solve your problem.

A good point, I have a couple of different chargers and they all work through the same port but could it be just for audio that it's broken? The fact that one earbud went before the other had me thinking it was the headphones themselves. Unfortunately I don't have another USB-C device to try them in but it's a fair shout, I'll make sure to test out alternatives in-store to see if that's the issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/htc-u11-android-9-pie-brick-994935/amp/

Not so smooth sailing with the Pie update, phones in Taiwan were getting bricked after it!

I had a close call this past weekend, was travelling and used a portable USB charger on my U11 to top up the charge. As soon as I did it the phone restarted, tried to boot up and restarted again. Over and over. I used the full charger when I got to my hotel that night and it stayed on no more than a minute everytime and then would restart.

So figured an issue with the OS on booting up each time and only option would be to factory reset. I didn't want to lose my photos as I wasn't sure the last time I'd backed up so kept trying to go in and sync them before restart but it kept thwarting me.

Eventually I decided to start deleting apps everytime in started up in case it was a memory thing and it suddenly worked, right after I uninstalled AVG Antivirus. I reckon when I used the portable charger the antivirus tried to assess the new device I had plugged in and that caused the restart and kept failing at start up.

Could also have been a coincidence! But I'm going to be more careful next time I use something like that!

I have a few problems with my USB port. Do you think the only option is go send it back to HTC via SBE and pay for USB port to be replaced? Not sure I would trust anyone else to repair it unless someone had a good recommendation

I have a few problems with my USB port. Do you think the only option is go send it back to HTC via SBE and pay for USB port to be replaced? Not sure I would trust anyone else to repair it unless someone had a good recommendation

Surely it's a warranty job if under 2 years since you bought it?

Surely it's a warranty job if under 2 years since you bought it?

It's over 2 years now since I bought it, so wouldn't get it under warranty. It's only 2nd time in about 10 years I didn't change my phone after a year. The other time being the m7 which I had for 2 years.

Just got the update to Android 9 there today. Nothing too fancy but nice to still be getting updates this far along the phones life. Have it over 2 years now and honestly still one of the best phones I've had. Zero slowdown yet and the only negatives I have are screen could do with being brighter in direct sunlight and battery life is getting slack. Just a shame that there doesn't appear to be any new high end HTC on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Testament1 wrote: »
    Just got the update to Android 9 there today. Nothing too fancy but nice to still be getting updates this far along the phones life. Have it over 2 years now and honestly still one of the best phones I've had. Zero slowdown yet and the only negatives I have are screen could do with being brighter in direct sunlight and battery life is getting slack. Just a shame that there doesn't appear to be any new high end HTC on the horizon.

The only problem I have is that I shattered the back of it nearly straight away so have been in a case since and now have cracks extending to the top and bottom of the face of it. Nothing on the screen as yet - if that happened I'd get a new phone immediately - but everything else still working very well so I intend on running this into the ground

Advertisement