Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The ad says otherwise, it says:

"Tesla manufacturers Drive unit and EV Battery Warranty to 08.05.2026 or 240,000km, whichever comes sooner"

That 240k km is the current warranty on a Model S if you buy one new. At some point it changed from unlimited mileage to this. Perhaps it had already changed by sometime in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah thats a mistake in the listing. The warranty on that car is 8 years unlimited miles. You'll be able to see it in the app for the car. I think the change was around 2021-22 or so. Way later.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

I wouldn't be doing crazy miles so doubt I'd do another 140,000km before the 8 years run out in 2026. I've heard the door handles can be a problem in some models. Anything else I should look out for?

Door handles.

Wiper arm rubbing the bonnet.

The screen issues as mentioned.

• Advertisement

That car might have the latest generation door handles already, that are far less likely to go wrong. And even if you have a door handle or two to repair during your ownership, it's not the end of the world. Tesla only charge for the part, the labour is free. Mind the part is something like €300 + VAT

They've giving a 1yr warranty and said they'd cover door handles if they go. Can't complain about that....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm not an EV fan but I always think there's 'presence' or something about a Tesla S. Fine car.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

ok, this question may be a bit sad but are there any accessories that people would recommend for a model S?

Small stuff like storage items to body kits, etc.

Not really. IMO. Depends on what you like and what version you have?

CF lip spoiler from the Performance version, dechrome, black badges etc

Mats. You can buy perfectly good aftermarket ones for little money. Dog rack if you have a big dog. And depending on what version you have, a tray for under the MCU screen is very handy as well as some centre console unit. That said, herself really liked the "yacht floor" of my pre-facelift Model S as it perfectly fits even a large handbag 😂

Personally I wouldn't spend a cent on items that make the car just "look" better, like wheels, spoilers, badges, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the "hook and string" that allows the boot cover to lift when opening the boot, an essential purchase IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Such a simple add on, €5 worth. I'm assuming its standard on the newer cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did you buy it @Ranleth?

Congrats - hope to have an S before they disappear for good.

The ad is still up, so I'd say nobody bought it yet.

As for the Model S, they will be around for a long time. Very few in the country though and there are no more being brought in. Not new (apart from a handful of left hand drive cars) and not second hand as the usual import path from the UK is closed. So it will always be an exclusive car here.

I am glad now that I didn't buy a Model Y. I am likely keeping my Model S now for many years to come. There simply is nothing like it out there.

And on the door handle fix, you can buy the repair kits seemly on eBay for €30 and repair yourself. One guy mentioned Ali express was €25 so an alternative to paying Tesla for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi there,

Wondering would anyone have any suggestions for a small chip / crack in the rear left side of the glass roof ;(

Not sure how it happened, but I think it might have been preheating the car on a frosty morning and/or the kids on the street hit it with a ball and/or the car has nearly 250,000kms on the clock so just wear and tear.

I'm happy to stick a bit of super glue or sellotape on it if that would stop it getting worse!

The sunroof is also broken, and to fix that, it seems then need to replace both glass panels in the roof, (for €3,500 😫) so a temp fix for now would do.

Thanks for any tips!

That’s not a pre heat crack. That’s impact damage IMO.

• Advertisement

My mrs advises that epoxy resin would work well as a temp fix. Finally, the one cross over between car enthusiast and artist!!

Car insurance time here again.

Last year was €508 with 123.ie.

123.ie offered me €601 this year to auto renew.

The car is a 2016 Tesla Model S90D. Some other quotes I got were...

Entering my details into 123.ie website as a new customer €678

An Post €675

AA €1,100

Chill.ie wsa €900 with AIG. The next best from Chill was €1,200 with Axa!

Bonkers.ie and its4women.ie and Aviva would not provide a quote online at all!

I saw a few people with Model Y's saying their insurance was going up a lot, so just posting this here from the Model S side of things.

Yeah mine (2017 Model S) went up from €497 to €555 this year. Couldn't be bothered shopping around to get a better quote, but if next year is also +10%, I probably will.

Hi,

Got an email for a recall on my 2016 Model S....

Tesla has decided to proactively recall certain Model S vehicles produced between 2014 and 2021 for inspection of the frunk's secondary isofix.

Our records indicate that your vehicle may be affected. On impacted vehicles, the isofix assembly may be positioned too far back, preventing the secondary isofix from properly engaging the frunk striker. If the frunk is inadvertently released while driving and the secondary isofix is not engaged, the frunk may open without warning and obstruct the driver's visibility.

If the frunk is inadvertently released, the driver will receive an alert on the user interface. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this issue.

Please schedule a service appointment. At your appointment, Tesla Service will inspect your vehicle and perform any necessary repairs, free of charge.

We apologise for this inconvenience.  

I've never had the frunk come open while driving, but I've gotten a message a few times after closing the frunk that the car isn't sure if it's closed or not, and I have to get out and re-close it, so hopefully this recall fixes that.

Not bad I guess to get a free repair on a nearly 8 year old car with almost 250,000kms on the clock!

Al.

Yeah I had that done about 3-4 years ago on my old Model S iirc

Faulty Frunk? Clearly a dangerous car and you should sell it forthwith!

I know an interested buyer, based in Wexford, he'll give €15k for it 😁

Did you spot this BTW, also a facelift 90D - ex taxi - 450k miles (725k km) your man bought it for £8.9k 😶

Yes I follow that channel and saw the video. I love seeing first perspective EV videos, from petrolhead channels on YT.

I wonder if that car is on its original battery. It's roughly the same age as "my" one. Despite people's initial observations when Tesla swapped to the 90 from the 85, the 90 has actually proven to hold up very well to high miles. I think there is a steep initial degradation but once that happens it stays stable.

I think it's a remarkable case that a car such as that has done so many miles and the non drivetrain parts have held up so well. The facelift cars (2016.5 onwards) are leaps and bounds ahead of the prefacelift in terms of interior quality IMO.

PS: FK brexit for ruining all the potential bargains!

Quite possibly is the original battery. It's a facelift car. The previous problems with batteries (in the pre-facelift) were nearly always down to water ingress over time, nothing to do with the quality / longevity of the battery cells themselves

As Brexit ruining things - that is relative. If you bought that EV over there for £8.9k (€10.4k) you can have it landed for zero VRT and roughly just €1k import duty and €2.4k VAT, with costs of flight / ferry totally a bit over €14k. Still an utter bargain. I guess that Model S last week here in Ireland that still needed a bit of suspension work, sold for around the €17k mark

These cars are still the daddy of all EVs and at those prices, while you need to be a bit brave, and either have deep pockets in case something with motor or battery goes wrong out of warranty. Or know an indy that can sort it. But they are an awful lot of car and performance for the money.

And far cheaper to buy and far less risky compared to performance saloons like BMW M5 or Mercedes E63 AMG, etc. or exotic supercars

• Advertisement

Actually, you're right. Especially at the lower end of the market. There are plenty of model S for below 20k STG and quite a few below 15k. Goes to show, we've got a bit to go down yet here as there are a few S (and X) listed on DD and carzone for months not selling.

I never worked out the import post brexit but at 10-15k it's actually doable, which is incredible really, shows how overpriced cars are here.

(I'd still prefer that beautiful blue e61 m5 ... but that's another story!)

EDIT: Look at this for instance, facelift car with the CCS and MCU2 updates. 17k, when the closest on DD is 40k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403187710628?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&fromsra&make=Tesla&model=Model%20S&sort=price-asc

Advertisement