Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry your right it was the UK one I was looking at that had warranty until October 2023.

I just see this as a big risk I suppose with no warranty left.

I wonder is there a decently priced warranty scheme I could get to cover this for battery or drivetrain failure.

Then again that’s another monthly cost……

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah the Tesla Ranger mentioned to me that some of the third party car warranty companies cover Teslas. If I were to buy that car, I wouldn't bother. But I would want proof that the battery in that car has already been replaced. The ad doesn't mention that. Most of the early cars (pre-facelift) do suffer from battery failure at some stage. This was no longer the case with the facelift model

Or if you don't particularly need a Performance model, there are others out there too. To give you an idea, my own new model 2017 Model S still has 3 years battery and drive train warranty left and has full self driving and I intend to sell it for late 40s. At any one time there aren't that many Model S for sale, but you should be able to pick up an early Model S from about €35k or a new model from about €43k. Keep a look out on DoneDeal.

Thanks for that unkel.

So just to be clear that 2014 that I’ve linked to should have had the battery replaced?

As in there was a recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There wasnt a recall, just a lot of the very early cars had battery issues and they were all replaced under warranty - but only reactively not a recall.

Check the sticker on the battery (visible from under driver door looking forward ), if the battery is an "A" pack it hasnt been replaced.

Ok grand. Would there have been a certificate from Tesla or anything like that?

If the battery is replaced does the drivetrain get done as-well?

If not how do I know if that’s been changed?

sorry for all the questions lads!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thats my old car.

Full HV battery replaced in 2021 under warranty. The original Battery was a D pack and the new battery an E pack (refurbed).

12v replaced at the same time.

Handles have been replaced, 2 in my time.

Wiper motor/arm was replaced by Tesla too. Another common issue where they chip away at the bonnet.

That car is rare enough over here. It’s a P85+. Slightly different suspension set up and wider track at the rear. Staggered 21” wheels.

Free supercharging and free premium connectivity should still be active on that car.

I bought it in 2020

for €34k and sold it in 2021 for €36k to Vector Motors who sold it to its current owner.

It also has the centre console upgrade too.

Sunroof was replaced by Tesla as they damaged it while fixing a rubber seal!

It also has the Smart Air Suspension

It has had the eMMC chip update but still on MCU1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You're missing Tralee from that map. Belfast is under construction and two more planned for next year in Cashel and Castlebellingham. Think there's one coming on the M11 too but not announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Big price reduction on the 2017 75 one now, down to €54k. Still needs more of a reduction

The cheapest 2017 ones on DD start at about €50k and this one is from Tesla themselves with Tesla warranty, so it's about priced right now. I don't know who decides on these prices though. The one I bought myself in Manchester just before COVID lockdown was also crazily priced, but the other way around.

I believe, but don’t quote me on it, is that some lad in Holland prices them based on the original asking price, extras and then applies a set formula for depreciation to them.

Mostly they are wrong!

My own previous car for example!

Your precious car, that was a final destination sale never to be repeated again 😀😃

• Advertisement

It was the cheapest car ever sold by Tesla worldwide. Probably still is 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, I was looking intensely at CPO Model S at the time using loads of scrapers, it was the cheapest sold by Tesla with CPO by a mile.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

Lads,

thinking of shipping my Model S and looking for valuation opinions.. According to my Tesla account it is

Specs

Enhanced Autopilot

GPS Enabled Homelink

Cream Premium Interior

No Premium Interior

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG)

Glass Roof

No Spoiler

75D

19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream Wheels

Air Suspension

Free Unlimited Supercharging

I've had it from new (2018) but it is two owners (my company then me) and it has 120kms on the clock. According to my battery report on TeslaFi, Range at 100% is 348.03kms. Have done the MCU upgrade etc and apart from a tiny ping on the bottom of a door, it's pretty perfect. It also has the rear-facing seats which are grand for <10 yr olds.

Any opinion on what I should get for it ?

Cheers

What are you thinking of changing to? If another Tesla then I'd start the ball rolling with a Tesla trade in, that's a rare enough beast with the two extra seats and the free SuC is worth a lot now if new owner lives close to a SuC

Free supercharging from 2017 stays with the first owner only, so it dies if you sell the car, so worth nothing to the new owner. Anyway, any options are worth very little in the second hand market for a car now over 4 years old.

My own model S is similar to yours but a 2017, no 7 seats but mine does have full self driving

I'd say mine is worth very late 40s and yours is worth early to mid 50 or thereabouts. Both in a private sale, a few grand less from a trader

Free supercharging crossed early 2017 so it may still be transferrable, SC05 is not transferrable so the new owner will have to pay for SuC, SC01 is the magic code as free transferring will transfer via a private sale, April 2017 was the registration deadline for SC01.

I had SC01, two previous owners had free SuC, I did and so does the new owner

If the free SuC is active after the OP transferred from his company to him then that could mean it’s active for a future transfer too?

Yeah until Tesla find out and take it away, mean miserable bastards that they are.

They can't interfere in a private sale

• Advertisement

Not interfere but they can switch the free SuC off unless it’s a SC01 car.

There's ways around that with SC05 😉 I'm not going through it here though, just search on it

Agh I know those ways with the app etc

But officially speaking they can turn it off.

They can even switch off free SuC for SC01 cars. And they do.

Now if that happens when the car was never sold second hand by Tesla, you could sue them. Good luck with that, the judges here in Ireland wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about and seem to think that by Irish law a perk like that, can never pass from one owner to another, even in a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Would anyone recommend tyres for a Model S 90D (R19 245/45)?

I searched the Facebook group but it's mostly Model 3 related.

I've rang a few places and quoted €310 per corner and I need all 4!

I rang the garage recommend by the Michelin website and they said they only do the Primacy 3's. But I can see Primacy 4's are out so perhaps they're only selling old stock?

I can see there's and "e primacy" especially for EVs, but it doesn't come in R19 size.

I've no idea about tyres so any tips greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I had the 21” wheels on both my MS’s so can’t comment on the 19” wheels but I preferred the Michelin or continental tyres.

Search back in this thread to around early December 2021 year when I replaced all mine, I did a good bit of research and happy with results, can't remember now as I've sold the S

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I imagine there was no change to the owner on the Tesla side.

Actually that makes sense.

just the VLC change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks for that, I had tried to search before but Boards search is pants!

I found your post and see you went with 'Michelin Primacy 4 acoustics' for €1,040 all in including fitting etc.

The garage I rang (from Michelin's website of recommended dealers) said the would only fit 'Michelin Primacy 3's' to a Tesla for some reason.

I see the Primacy 4's are "Greater fuel efficiency and 20% more mileage than previous generation", so seems that garage may have been trying to offload some old stock by only offering the 3's? The cost was €1,240 so a nearly 20% price increase in less than a year as well on previous gen tyres!

I'll ring around some more see if there's a better deal on the Primacy 4's, but if anyone knows of any other tyres that are slightly better value (but not cheap junk) feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

Advertisement