Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,013 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have you driven an E60 M5 recently? After you owned the 90D? I'd say you will be unpleasantly surprised if you did. I drove one many years ago, before I'd ever driven an EV. It was fast when picked up a bit, but the 90D would be much quicker away from the lights. And effortless. The M5 (in my case E63 M6) V10 racing engine sounded glorious and revved to 8.5k rpm. But the robotised manual transmisson was pretty brutal and would now feel very ancient

I suppose it is rose tinted glasses that we have. And not about EVs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, but I did drive two cars that I had owned previously that I thought were rocketships, an e60 535d and a z32 300zx. They both still had the charm and the engine notes etc but they had lost the rocketship feeling - and that was only vs a standard non performance model S.

I think an e60/1 has reached the stage where it's no longer expected to be the fastest out there but it's about the theatre. That v10 in a regular family car (as regular as a bmw m car can be anyway) is simply phenomenal and will never happen again. That, the phaeton w12, and the Q7 v12 TDI are on my bucket list of one off engine car combination wants.

The e60 is like the w210 v6 I bought last month. It's not the best at anything anymore but the theatre of driving it reminds me of a better era.

If they did finance on the new S and X here I'd already be in one. It was a flat no, even with 30-40% down on my side. The S, no matter what variant, is the daddy of them all really in the EV world and it's very difficult to make a case against one. Even now. Why would you spend 40k on an ID or a model 3 when you could have a 3-4 year old model S raven for the same money?

Same old, same old. Back pretty much exactly 20 years ago, everybody told me I was crazy buying a 7 year old BMW 735i V8 while for the same money I could have got a 3 year old Toyota Corolla 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Sorry, not sure how I missed your question.

Yes, I purchased. Delighted so far. Lovely to drive and loads of power if needed. I was never a fan of purchasing a new car so happy get something slightly older that has done the majority of its devaluing (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

My 2016 Tesla model S 90D has just passed 250,000 kilometers, AMA!!!

• Advertisement

Nice one, congrats!

I know it's a facelift model. And I think Tesla got the battery compartment sealing sorted by then. The motors were sorted a while before then. So I presume it's still on the original battery and motor? I guess as it is a 161 car (iirc), then the battery / drivetrain warranty is coming to or has already come to the end?

If you don't mind me asking, you were at some point thinking of selling. What are your plans with it now?

Ending next month. @BigAl81 I'd get in for a service now before battery warranty ends and document any possible issues now and get them looked at under warranty (unless everything is running fine of course)

@BigAl81 suggests an AMA and then disappears 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

control arms are likely, check out Bjorns video on all the work he got done on his (albeit older) S when he got it back last year, some very good videos on what goes wrong and what Tesla covers under unpublished warranty.

As usual with Telsa local inventory of parts will be the issue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

His is an early pre-facelift performance though, now 11 years old and what, about 400k km?

Very different story on the facelift cars, they are hugely more reliable with the main culprits (battery / motor) no longer going wrong anywhere near the rate of the early cars

• Advertisement

There was an error displaying this embed.

That S has almost nothing in common with the facelift car though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If one was potentially in the market for a second hand S but wanted to check and see if the battery has been changed and when that was done, would there be any tell tale signs on the battery pack itself?

ie is there a serial number or anything like that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Unless the original owner gave you paperwork.

Or if you can check the sticker on the battery and it’s later than the registration date.

Here’s 2 pictures of a 2014 MSP which had a battery replaced under warranty in 2021.

The first is the original battery and the second is the replacement under warranty.

If you look under the car on the (irish) driver side, towards the front, you'll see the battery pack sticker.

If you're looking at an older car, especially an 85, this may be an A or B pack (a capital letter will list the battery revision). I think they got to E with the replacements, that's from memory and I stand to be corrected. If it's on an A or B or C pack it has not been replaced.

The owner can also show you the service records from their tesla account (not the app but the online account)

As ELM said, turn front wheel fully left and the battery sticker will be visible, there are online battery decoders that will tell you the era but this is not 100% as I've read that when battery packs are reassembled that sometimes Tesla so not replace the sticker.

An app like scanmytesla will also prove handy as it will give you more detailed battery info like SOH, DC charging, buffer etc, for this you will need a OBD2 converter cable and reader as well as the app itself

oh and Tesla never give any info to new owner on any previous work carried out, you need printouts from previous owners

And the previous owner can even get this after they sold the car. It's on the online account.

This is all excellent info lads.

Thanks very much.

Next questions:

What is the real world range in the depths of winter at 120KPH on the motorway of a 75 KWH vs an 85 KWH, presuming that both batteries are the same age?

When would tesla replace the battery (if its still under the 8 year warranty) if it falls below a certain capacity, or only if it develops a fault?

I had the P85+ and P90DL

The P90DL would do Belfast and back at 110km/h. About 350km.

also what is an E85? Whats the E for?

P= performance

D= Dual motor

85= the size of the battery.

I think that's correct?

• Advertisement

Yup, correct

I had an S90D and would be looking to charge after 250km of real world (120 + VAT!) motorway speeds. Probably 270km max range before zero. The 90 and 85 were the same battery, just the 90 unlocked a couple more kwh

ah very good elm thanks.

So the biggest battery pack is the 100?

Also any idea on the "E"? Executive? (i think there was a version with a rear arm rest instead of a third rear middle seat?)

I think the E is superfluous, some of the earlier cars had E to donate non P , but this wasnt standard.

(Ignore that 4 seat version, the seats don't fold, it's awful!)
    The biggest battery pack is the 100, of t he "number cars", then you get to the Raven and the refresh "Standard Range" and "long range" cars

E is just the basic terminology.
    E75 would be the 75kwh pack in RWD.

Or an older pack! The battery in my last Model S (142 reg) was replaced in late 2020. The new sticker indicated that the "new" battery was a refurbished one from a 2013 car 😂 It now has about 240k km on the clock and still happily driving around near me with its 11 year old battery. You can look up battery degradation curves for early Teslas and the most typical degradation is around 10-15% for a 10 year old car

@tom1ie - what is your budget? The facelift cars are relatively cheap now and will give you a lot more peace of mind about the battery. It is not that the battery cells themselves went faulty in the early cars, it is almost always that water made its way into the pack, causing problems. This no longer happened in facelift cars.

I think you are assuming the 85 Model S has a 85kWh battery, it does not and this is a common misconception, same with all the Model S and X which is (presumably/maybe) why they just relabelled them LR etc a few years back.

Not only does the S 85 not have a 85kWh battery but the buffer varies depending on the battery pack and age.

A 2015 Model S would have around 72kWh available for use with a very similar range to last years 60kWh Model 3 RWD (available capacity of 57.5kWh)

Hi unkel, my overall budget is approx 20k.
    I think the S seems to be the daddy of EVs when it comes to range and comfort on motorway miles.
    I also have three kids to get into a car so I reckon the S is close enough in size to my insignia I have at the minute (s being bigger I reckon?)

Absolutely correct that it was I was assuming 😂😂.
    Right so the only real way of finding out the state of the battery and the useable amount is to use one of the dongles I see people mentioning about to interrogate the battery?

That's a decent budget that should see you into a good Model S, but I don't think it will stretch to a facelift one. Personally if I went to see one, I wouldn't bother with any dongles with battery health apps. Just ask to take it on a long enough test drive, you will see by the drop in range what the real range roughly is (and thus what the battery health is like). But that is easy for me to say, I've driven EVs for many years now

The Model S is at least one size bigger than your Insignia. It's bigger than a BMW 7-series or Mercedes S-class of the same era. Big car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭pah

I'm going to guess your looking at the red 2014 E85 for 19k?

Tempted by it myself, spoke briefly with the seller. For something that he's finding difficult to sell he wasn't much of a sales man. Didn't volunteer any info relating to potential work done, battery, door handles etc. maybe he doesn't know. He had it up for 22,900 back in December and it's dropped a bit every now and again since. I suspect it's the one sold by Merlin auctions for 20,300 last November. Might be worth a punt but the early models had some issues and I think the fear of a massive bill is just to much for me personally.

Advertisement