Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had AP1 for two years, never an issue, no phantom breaking and no lane issues. On my regular route with AP3 I get phantom breaking (especially passing a parked car on narrow roads) and car get confused on motorway lane departures with immediate breaking etc. so I just use cruise control instead

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It must be a labour intensive exercise and now maybe they've finally decided the non-refurb route and just give everyone new 90 packs (lucky sods)

I'd agree. Its certainly easier for Tesla to go that route.

Not good for consumers though who would prefer the option of taking an out of warranty car to an Indy and get some cells replaced. If the only option is a new battery it means you have to turn to Tesla.... $$$

I'd also wonder does it mean that it will be much much harder to repurpose the packs for second life purposes since you can't take out modules or cells to create a power wall type system.... the only option would appear to be to recycle the entire pack, to become a new pack for Tesla.

If Tesla give decent "trade-in" value to out of warranty battery pack and offer long warranty on new pack then that would be my preferred route. The indy route appears okay in the short term but only time will tell on whether the packs re-fail, some US forums pointing to re-fail after a few months....it's new water for all of us for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 65,200 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like second hand Model S values are holding very strong or indeed going up. Some of the asking prices of the last 3-4 months were very optimistic in my book but I know of a few that sold at full asking price. And a 2015 not even a Performance advertised for €44k, now sold, presumably selling for at least early 40s, a 2014 P asking €44k, probably will sell for at least very early 40s. Just now a 2015 boggo S70D, asking €42k, probably not selling for under €39k. All pre-facelift models.

Quite surprising if I'm honest. I know many EVs have near zero depreciation but I predicted pre-facelift now elderly Model S with no warranty at all remaining, not even battery warranty, would loose considerable value. Looks like I was wrong.

The new owner of my old Tesla Model S Performance can probably sell the car now, 30k km and 6 months later and now out of battery warranty, for a couple of grand more than he paid me. Incredible stuff.

Sold my 2015 S85 at asking in March, €43k and there were three folk offering me asking, first to see it got it. A bargain

• Advertisement

Yes I thought you were optimistic with your asking price but clearly I was wrong.

Maybe I was too, but once I got an offer I accepted despite others following up soon after saying they would offer more

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭3d4life

Voice command to open charge port door :

Anyone try this ?

Tried just now. It works 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

While new Model S orders are open across the rest of Europe, Ireland is left behind...

I have my deposit down from before they suspended it and if I remember correctly the price then was around 150k for Plaid, just under 100k for Long range.

In Norway Plaid starts at 122,724 euro equivalent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

No surprise to anyone, yoke doesn't help when sliding (stupid thing to do on public roads anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

Hi Guys looking for some advice, got the warning last night that i need to change the low voltage battery, which i am going to do my self (MS 2016 Facelift) Looked at a few you tube vids and it dosent look to difficult 🤞

while have the car opened up i thought i will replace the HEPA filter, can they be sourced in ireland

Tesla themselves are usually the best port of call, I got my replacement filter when in the UK as cheaper than here (at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

ok no prob i will call them on monday, I just thought from reading stories about tyre replacement cost etc.. that there might be a cheaper third party

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Rare phenomenon of Sandyford having Model S in stock, 3 a the moment

they pop up from time to time whenever they get around to cleaning up trade ins, some ambitious pricing there, 18 used model 3's too, that's a lot of trade ins!

A 2017 standard RWD S75 (just like mine, although mine has full self driving, this one only has EAP), for €63k? It has very low mileage, but that's absurd. And I heard from someone trying to buy it that they won't budge on the price either. I'll sell you mine for €10k less 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

is that the one with like 9k on it? Assumed it was a typo. Some cost for such low mileage over a long period of time.

There really shouldn't be any premium for an ultra low mileage car. Bad to sit for long periods, even an electric car. Brakes discs will rust badly, not good for tyres, etc. The private sale value for a base 2017 S 75 is about €48k imho, so perhaps €52k from a garage if they provide a warranty and perhaps €54-55k from Tesla as a pristine CPO car. Not nearly €10k more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks, has anyone imported a still in warranty (8 years I believe?) model s from the UK?

Were there any savings to be made?

Am I right in saying the first model S’s have free supercharging?

• Advertisement

An import as you describe is no longer an option since Brexit and VAT is applicable which wipes out savings. I imported an S just before Brexit and there was substantial savings. All pre 2017 Tesla’s come with free supercharging by default (mine did) unless sold via Tesla in recent years as Tesla now wipe out the free Supercharging once they get their hands on the car.

Thanks slave.

So is it that you now can’t import cars because of brexit or just that VRT would wipe out the benefit?

How much is VRT? For example I see an S on auto trader.co.uk for £35000, (which is €40252 going by todays exchange rate) so how much would VRT be on top of that?

The cheapest S I can find In Ireland is €41450.

So VRT is going to make that more expensive isn’t it.

ah well 😬

The battery and drivetrain warranty is 8 years unlimited mileage. But the general warranty is far less. My own 171 has just gone out of general warranty (got the driver's door handle replaced on the very last day of the warranty - phew) but has another 3 years left on battery / motor / drivetrain

Are you considering buying a used Model S? What's your budget and we'll keep an eye out. As @slave1 explained, importing one from the UK is no longer viable. Also second hand EVs in the UK are worth even more than here now

You can use the Revenue VRT calculator to see the VRT amount but it’s the full VAT on top that’s the killer

And the cars are more expensive to begin with! That's never happened before. The UK import route for BEVs is out. Even if there was zero tax.

Hi unkel,

a model s would seem about the most similar EV car to what i drive now in physical size (big estate, motorway cruiser).

I drive a 2011 insignia SRI.

I was looking at an MG4 but after seeing it, I don’t think it suits my needs with 3 kids (2booster seats one full baby seat) plus wife plus dog!

Lots of motorway driving and 250kms plus journeys one way.

I could possibly stretch (and I mean stretch!) to the one I seen on done deal (I’ll link below) but I’d have worries about only having a year left on the battery and drivetrain.

Supercharging for life would mean I don’t need to charge at home, but where are the supercharger sites? I only see one at the M4 service station? Also are Tesla destination chargers included in free supercharging?

Were 2017 S’s included in free supercharging?

Destination chargers are free anyway. And don't overestimate the value of free supercharging. I had it in my first Model S and I "used" less than €100 over 2 years. If you are going to do mega continental driving (as in at least one or two 5k km plus trips per year), then it starts to add up. In Ireland it is worth no more than a few hundred quid per year for the vast majority of people. And you do want to be able to charge at home. Having to only publicly fast charge denies you one of the best convenience features of having an electric car!

What one did you see on DoneDeal?

FWIW, I also have 3 (nearly) grown up kids and 1 or 2 large dogs. A big hatchback is super practical. Only yesterday I loaded up a large 8kg dryer. The car could probably have fitted two of them. I regularly have a full size mountainbike in it or a rake of oversized PV panels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement

Spectacular car. Very similar to my own first Tesla which was also a 142 performance 85. Sold mine early in the year for €5k less than that while still under battery / drivetrain warranty, but they have picked up in value (surprising me tbh). That car has no warranty whatsoever left and it's a private sale. So certainly not without risk. That said, I was chatting to the new owner of my old car, he is close to 200k km on the clock and has had zero issues (apart from some suspension work which you'd get on any high mileage car). He is utterly delighted with the car.

Advertisement