Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

correct. No Plaids are in Europe officially yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..but there's a lot of moving parts in Tesla at the minute, Shanghai has exceeded all expectations in terms of productivity, Giga Berlin knocking out the Ys and Giga Texas effectively taking over high volume US production very soon.

I can see the S and X worldwide production coming from a scaled down Freemont but the settling of Berlin and Texas needs to happen first.

If so then it will be next year before non-US supply kicks in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Playing devil's advocate here. The Taycan does not have anywhere near the range of a Model S, but it has a 800V battery setup and can charge even faster than any Tesla (but only at Ionity chargers). These cost 2-3 times as much per kWh but is that really relevant on a €100k+ car? Unless you would use it very regularly, this charging cost difference would not be material.

On other news, my car is in for the MCU eMMC recall today (still had the original). Got a loaner car. A 2016 pre-facelift S70, but with MCU2 upgrade. So having driven a lot of different Model S, I have decided:

-the RWD are nicer to drive than the AWD

-the pre-facelift RWD are better to drive than the facelift RWD (like my current car) as there is less control from the traction control system

- the pre-facelift RWD Performance (like my previous car) are the best to drive of them all as they are wild and all over the shop 😎

The original seats feel terrible now, having got used to the newer far superior and premium seats, although at the time they didn't bother me. Haven't played with MCU2 much yet, it seems faster but I have no need for Netflix, YouTube or any games. The main reason I would consider upgrading is that my car has FSD and MCU2 will give better visualisations with secondary reason that the software is fresher and quicker. And at €1500 it is half of what it used to cost. It will help selling the car when the time comes but it won't retain any of its value (like the vast majority of upgrades / added specs / ticked options on any car)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donkeymaster777

Is there a 23% VAT here in ireland on top of the tesla listed price? (I'm an american ex-pat).

• Advertisement

Get them to put the maps straight onto the eMMC chip Unkel, and get it done before you pickup the car as it takes a few hours. If they don't put the maps onto the chip they will go onto the microSD card with will eventually fail and a ~€200 replacement

No the advertised price here in Europe includes all taxes (and subsidies). That is what you actually pay. Although be careful as Tesla still publishes a price "after fuel savings" which is daft and should be outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bovakinn

No, the price you see is exactly what you pay.

Requested it and got an answer back pretty quick: "The maps will be loaded onto the eMMC as part of the bulletin."

So it seems standard procedure now for the recall. Good stuff.

You should find a lot more usable browser when you get the car back

• Advertisement

I don't really use the browser 😂

Is the google maps speed improved or do I need MCU2 for that? The car does have 4G (and free connectivity)

I only noticed Browser improvement, I never had any speed issue with Google Maps (had 4G/LTE upgrade since before eMMC upgrade), was always very responsive

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

I have my car in for the MCU2 Upgrade next week. I went for it, just because the start up of the car has gotten so slow and main screen very laggy with maps and Spotify also. Also getting the HW3 upgrade too so will have the cameras done also, so will be interesting if there is any improvement with that also!

So few months ago they removed the cost and timeline of the S. I ordered mine in Jan/Feb 21 and was told it would be Jan/Feb 22. Apparently it will be mid 23 now too. Late last year the cost also increased before they removed the price, from memory the Long Range same spec as mine increased by 30k! But when they emailed saying production time is pushed out but will honour the price I booked mine at, so still under 100k, prior to that it was around 125k on the Tesla site

I presume you have FSD and got the HW3 upgrade for free? Mine is already on HW3 and I'm contemplating the MCU2 upgrade. Would you come back here after your upgrade and share your findings? Would be very interested in that.

So very happy with the MCU2 and the HW3 upgrade. Visualisation on the dash is so much better and clearer now with the new computer and picking up all the bits like traffic lights and signs now also.

MCU2, the car is so much quicker to respond and the resolution is so much clearer and crisp, lag is gone and car is powering up straight away now compared to the delay it had previously. Everything is just that bit better, like the voice commands actually work now. It was very hit and miss previously

Interesting you now have visualisations like traffic lights and signs. I have those already, they must be mainly part of HW3. I did read they do get a lot better once you get MCU2 as well. I guess I will just have to get on with it and book the MCU2 upgrade in...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You won't have the proper visualisations yet. The difference is night and day between mcu1 and mcu2.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Model S long range €125k? No prices on their website.

No prices as they are currently not accepting orders for EU yet.

• Advertisement

15.3 kWh / 100 km over the last 50km 😂

Didn't think I'd ever see that. M50 trip today, in the car with the dog, so wasn't driving like my usual lunatic self although speed limits are not something I often adhere too. Got stuck in very bad traffic on the way over though, so low average speed on that stretch, but lots of braking and accelerating, hardly good for consumption. Perfect weather though with 21-22C

Didn't think of taking a screenshot. Perhaps we should do a little competition in here who can show the highest and the lowest consumption screenshots of the last 50km average!

Haven’t got a 50km screenshot handy. Here’s a 10km one for now 🤣

ha ha, fiesty short trips in Winter, megaconsumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Didn't know the 10/50 thing was configurable.

Mixed driving 200km trip this morning between motorway and national roads, I usually drive at about 5km/h above the limit, was 17-19C

The newer gen motors must be very efficient, never seen anything like it in my P85. The 75 has 73kWh usable and this average consumption means a range of over 500km in these circumstances, that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

They seem to still take a €100 deposit, is this to join another queue or something?

At one point they had prices and an estimated delivery time, thats all gone from the Irish site now.

I suspect it will be 2023 (end of)

Yes pretty much.

It should be fully refundable too as they can’t give you a price currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I doubt it, that's incredible! Did you have a particularly light foot or did you drive normally?

Some mileage on your car, you bought it new in 2017 iirc? So less than 5k miles (8k km) per year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The car is mostly driven on Irish N roads at weekends, so the average speed/consumption is kept low by towns and few opportunities for overtaking slow drivers and tractors, as well as many poor roads in Co. Cork. Also, Model S 75 and 75D are more efficient than Model S 85 due to lower weight and perhaps also better technology or other improvements. The car was bought new and delivered in late September 2017.

The low mileage is partly due to covid.

Advertisement