Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

Would the partial tree cover throw your GPS off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It will, as it does now - zoom into the the middle of the segment here: https://www.strava.com/activities/912212800

But this should not affect the barometric elevation recording. I will run at least 2 garmins by the way, I don't trust these feckers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Not me, obviously!

https://www.strava.com/activities/618426452

That aside, I'll join you for a few reps.

It would be rude not to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Not me, obviously!

https://www.strava.com/activities/618426452

That aside, I'll join you for a few reps.

It would be rude not to. :)

Ooooh I wonder who broke it him that it wasn't quite a century :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Good luck with the training.

Like others, I'll help out if I can on whatever day you pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You beautiful maniac. Good luck. I will plan to see you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Serious respect Alek!

I'll do my best to be there also and give whatever support I can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looking forward to showing up and thinking, glad it was not me. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

A guy from Tipperary completed a similar effort in 2015. Link below may be useful.

http://thecyclingblog.com/conquering-everest/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Out of interest what is the driving force behind this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a boardsie was the first to do one in ireland, iirc. down at priest's leap (also iirc).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

godtabh wrote: »
    'because it's there'.

Glory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Alek wrote: »
    Glory :D

The kit and stem cap seem like pretty good motivators to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Best of luck Alek.

Would the hikers/MTB'ers not put you off Ticknock, the few times I've been up there, there's usually congestion with them parking cars and pulling out in front of me.

Were do you plan on having your base (food/water/tools storage) or do you need one?

Hikers when going downhill are my main concern. How busy is it mid-day on Fridays? Would Thursday be a little better?

I'm planning to talk to the biking.ie guys so I can leave my stuff on their yard... and use their toilet :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hikers when going downhill are my main concern. How busy is it mid-day on Fridays? Would Thursday be a little better?

It is a bit busier during school holidays, so if you were planning on doing this at the end of the summer, early September will be quieter than August.

Kudos for going for this, one climb of this hill is usually plenty for me! Will take a spin up to cheer you on when the day comes

I wonder would it be an idea to start this later in the day so it'll be quieter/less traffic when you get a bit more fatigued. I guess you'll be running into darkness but that time of the year it'll be bright till 22:00

BTW Kudos Alek one day I'll consider it then quickly realise my imagination strongly outweighs my ability ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

I'd imagine mid day should be ok but if it's a nice evening you could get a bit of an influx as you are starting to get tired. Definitely worth recon run on a Friday evening at least. I do like Mutton and Tibradden lanes for it's quietness but some on here have had issues with the locals.

It must be July, as my family is away... Doing it is one thing, but recovery is crucial - and I can get no real rest when boys are around, you know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Serious respect Alek!

I'll do my best to be there also and give whatever support I can.

thought this would be right up your street and we might see a bit of a challenge

I wonder would it be an idea to start this later in the day so it'll be quieter/less traffic when you get a bit more fatigued.

It will take me 16-18hours, and I want to finish before it gets dark. Starting at 5-6am so...

It will take me 16-18hours, and I want to finish before it gets dark. Starting at 5-6am so...

True it is a gargantuan task when you think about it.

Good Luck with it and I'll be sure to drop out and see you suffer :D I'll bring the MTB for a bit of fun between viewing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Starting at 5-6am so...

Looks like i won't be there for the start so:P

No worries, I am used to cycling solo at crazy hours ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll do the 5-7 shift of moral support

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Daveoshea_

H Alex,
    I agree with you in that you dont want to be out there all day doing 300km kms and idea is thta it is a climbing challenge but also agree with some of other comments above re the short steep ramp (20% part of the climb) and the traffic and the way you may not be able to relax too much on decent. You have to decide if this part of a good challenge or a bridge to far. I completed an everest on Glenmalure and did actually consider the climb you are looking at but decided against as for above reasons...taking a rest and getting some food in on decent was vital to me..I had apprx 15 bottles prepared and got a lot of  my fuel this way. I didn't stop much at all as time ticks on everytime you do and nice to keep the meters ticking down...but again that a personal choice..whatever works for you. Try organise your mates to stager when they come and ride with you, good luck
    Dave

Thud wrote: »
    I'd imagine mid day should be ok...
    Peak time for dog walkers in my experience, many who release them from their leads.

neris wrote: »
    thought this would be right up your street and we might see a bit of a challenge
    Eh no - I'm a very mediocre climber.

• Advertisement

Dave, I've seen your everesting on Strava - very impressive !! The ramp is no more than 17% (as far as I know) and I have gearing to handle it comfortably... And its only perhaps 100m, the rest is an easy 8%. When I do 10 or 15 reps sometime next month I will know how it feels when I'm tired - in worst case I will change the location.

I plan to eat during breaks (5 mins per 1 hour), as I am generally very nervous descender and can't really do anything else while going down! ;) I will bring 10L of water or maybe 15 if the day will be very hot, and will be re-filling bottles at the biking.ie hut.

Advertisement