Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

just on the basis on the gym membership. i am sure we could email them? you want to do it?

so in the same way i think the HSE is a sh!tshow nurses shouldn't be allowed avail of any benefits until they fix that mess?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

yes i believe so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

guile4582 wrote: »
    just on the basis on the gym membership. i am sure we could email them? you want to do it?

so in the same way i think the HSE is a sh!tshow nurses shouldn't be allowed avail of any benefits until they fix that mess?

Your point, you back it up. I'm not sure why you're moving the goalposts again. This thread is about RTÉ.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Your point, you back it up. I'm not sure why you're moving the goalposts again. This thread is about RTÉ.

so the perks you have an issue with. the employees pay for. that is my point. so how are these perks? proximity perks ok i give you that. is that it?

and employees shouldnt have any perks there is that your other point? just sit there and be robots to management because that will really break the status quo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

so the perks you have an issue with. the employees pay for. that is my point. so how are these perks? proximity perks ok i give you that. is that it?

and employees shouldnt have any perks there is that your other point?

More strawmen...

Can you prove that the employees of RTÉ are shouldering the entire fiscal burden of these perks? I'm doubtful but I'll give you another chance to back up your claim.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

More strawmen...

Can you prove that the employees of RTÉ are shouldering the entire fiscal burden of these perks? I'm doubtful but I'll give you another chance to back up your claim.

200 redundancies and loss of livelihood not good enough for you?

can you prove otherwise?

200 redundancies and loss of livelihood not good enough for you?

can you prove otherwise?

So... nothing to prove that the taxpayer isn't being made to fund these extra perks.

If RTÉ is laying off staff as you claim then it seems a bit frivolous to keep the upper echelons of the organisation on lavish salaries, no?

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

So... nothing to prove that the taxpayer isn't being made to fund these extra perks.

If RTÉ is laying off staff as you claim then it seems a bit frivolous to keep the upper echelons of the organisation on lavish salaries, no?

you are moving goalposts now

On-site professional childcare facilities - employees pay for this (may have a slight subsidy)

Group life and salary protection schemes - paid through wages

Defined Contribution Pension Scheme\PRSA Scheme - compulsary pension

RTÉ Credit Union on-site - do i need to explain?

Availability of membership to RTÉ Sports & Social Club, including on-site gymnasium, squash courts and fitness classes - 243e a year

Educational Support Scheme - makes business sense to progress employees education

Enhanced annual leave benefit - fancy way of saying you can buy annual leave

Staff support services - they're all souless anyway. no point

Bus/Rail Tax Saver Scheme - don't start me on the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

7pm You should really see a doctor - RTE commissioned (Irish production co)
    7.30pm - eastenders
    8pm - fair city - RTE produced
    8.30 - Daniel & M RTE commissioned (Irish production co)
    9pm News - RTE
    9.30 Prime Time - RTE
    1015 Blue Bloods -
    Today's slate on RTE from mid-day to close:

12:50: Me too!
    13:10: Me too!
    13:30: Pinky and The Brain
    13:55: Thunderbirds Are Go!
    14:20: Prank Patrol
    14:50: Little Lunch
    15:05: The Next Step
    15:30: Really Me
    15:55: The 4 O'Clock Club
    16:25: news2day
    16:35: Wizards of Waverly Place
    17:00: Deadly 60
    17:30: The Simpsons: "Treehouse Of Horror XXII"
    18:00: Neighbours
    18:30: Home and Away
    19:00: Home and Away
    19:30: Stetsons and Stilettos
    20:00: Top Gear
    21:00: Apres Match of The Day
    21:30: Movie: Due Date
    23:10: Don't Tell The Bride
    00:15: Rookie Blue
    01:10: From Darkness
    02:10: Tyrant
    02:55: Euronews

Not including Euronews that is 24 slots over 15 hours... 5 slots for a grand total of 90 minutes are Irish, about 20% on each count of shows and time allotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

For RTE to survive it first needs to slim down. It currently is a law onto itself and outdated with regards to staff levels and what it does for the huge money it gets. Rather than upgrade and adjust to the Internet age it chooses to ask for more money instead.

On-site professional childcare facilities - employees pay for this (may have a slight subsidy)

Availability of membership to RTÉ Sports & Social Club, including on-site gymnasium, squash courts and fitness classes - 243e a year

Educational Support Scheme - makes business sense to progress employees education

Repeating a claim doesn't substantiate it. Have you no link?

H. H. Asquith

Billy86 wrote: »
    Today's slate on RTE from mid-day to close:

12:50: Me too!
    13:10: Me too!
    13:30: Pinky and The Brain
    13:55: Thunderbirds Are Go!
    14:20: Prank Patrol
    14:50: Little Lunch
    15:05: The Next Step
    15:30: Really Me
    15:55: The 4 O'Clock Club
    16:25: news2day
    16:35: Wizards of Waverly Place
    17:00: Deadly 60
    17:30: The Simpsons: "Treehouse Of Horror XXII"
    18:00: Neighbours
    18:30: Home and Away
    19:00: Home and Away
    19:30: Stetsons and Stilettos
    20:00: Top Gear
    21:00: Apres Match of The Day
    21:30: Movie: Due Date
    23:10: Don't Tell The Bride
    00:15: Rookie Blue
    01:10: From Darkness
    02:10: Tyrant
    02:55: Euronews

Not including Euronews that is 24 slots over 15 hours... 5 slots for a grand total of 90 minutes are Irish, about 20% on each count of shows and time allotted.

i'm not gonna argue but the point is they spend what 3/4 on irish produced and 1/4 on acquired and current feeling is that needs to change towards a more Irish produced 100% model

Repeating a claim doesn't substantiate it. Have you no link?

for all of them?

nearly a whole young peoples department was wiped out. that was not voluntary

for all of them?

Yes. You made the claims.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The one I can comment on there is the creche and the employees do not pay for availing of this

i sent you a link for gym membership and someone else posted the creche

arent the rest self explanatory?

i sent you a link for gym membership and someone else posted the creche

arent the rest self explanatory?

I posted the link about the creche. It's RTÉ staff only by the looks of things. I'm not going to waste any more time on this by researching your claims.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

so your license fee is subsidising RTE staff childcare costs - and you have had enough of that. so hence you will not pay your license fee.

good man.

sorry but Ryan and Miriam can't avail of the "perks" they are contractors ~( pulling your leg man. bit that is true)

creche is being relocated to the old Montrose house too by the way due to land sale

i do agreee that those "stars" need severe wage cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Please can I have my €160 back, I only watched two rugby games on your channel all year, Oh and the 6:00 news one day by accident.
    The two rugby matches I watched,, I watched down the pub... Please, Please can I have my money back, your service is not needed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

If there was a national referendum to close RTÉ so we don't have to pay this joke of a license fee anymore, I honestly think RTE would be severely at risk.

I'd gladly see the back of it to save that €160 a year. That's 16 months of Netflix, something I use far more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

BoatMad wrote: »
    they have no entitlement to enter your home at all.

They don't? I've never had one call so I don't know the procedure, but honestly if they can't enter your home then how is it that people can't just tell them they haven't got a telly at all and to feck off? O_o

I presume it's based on satellite dishes or some such, in that case? If so, then the most they could do is park in your drive with some scanning gear and determine that one of the in-range wifi networks is for your house. But even if they did, without entering the premises it would be entirely legitimate to claim that the wifi was merely for the smartphones in the house - and that's not even all that outlandish to be honest, I actually know somebody who uses a Galaxy for everything, doesn't have a laptop, tablet or telly. Granted he's a student and this is probably just a cost or space saving measure than entirely a lifestyle choice, but my point is that it's actually a genuinely realistic scenario - so how the hell can they prove anything without coming inside?

This sounds like it's going to be entirely unenforceable...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It really wasn't.
    Watching the goys blow the load at finishing 2nd in a tournament against 5 other teams was not worth watching.

What kind of special extended sports package are you on exactly that gives you access to these intimate dressing room moments? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I've not paid a TV license - because I don't have a TV and haven't had one for years. No satellite dish, no box, no connections. This proposed tax will hit me though, as I have a laptop. I don't even watch Netflix, for heaven's sake. The closest thing I get to RTE is the radio being on in work. So I'm a bit hrmph at it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement