Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The loss of the 6 Nations, whilst I am not a huge rugby fan, and especially with Royyyyall as head of sporting affairs must have really hurt the hearts of RTE and may be one of the reasons for these suggestions of upping their fees.

Along with the Rugby World Cup, Heineken Cup matches, some big GAA games, Tuesday night Champ League coverage, some big horse racing festivals coverage, losing a lot of pro boxing bouts with Irish contestants they had a good few years back, the station is evergrowingly losing one of it's prime attractions, it's sporting coverage as they can't afford to bid for them.
    But here's the thing, it didn't stop them from continuing to bid on the likes of Castle, Blue Bloods, Silent Witness, Eastenders, Neighbours, Home and Away, The Big Bang Theory, Masterchef UK, Homeland or Father Ted (kind of a free pass on this one, but they are still paying for someone else's production)... and that's just tomorrow's slate on RTE 1 & 2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Billy86 wrote: »
    You're aware you can also use a laptop while lying down, right?

Also, you can grab one of these on Amazon for €200-300 (often as much as half of that on sale) and play at high quality up to 100 inches without a TV licence applying. They range from about the size of a large smartphone to the size of one of the smaller, more modern DVD players and you need to mount anything to the wall of give up a pile of space for a table to put your TV on.

A 60+ inch TV at barely half the size is going to set you back at least 2-3 times that, and then if/when the licence cost doubles you're looking at €1,000 bare minimum for the first year (e.g. when you but the telly) and €320 thereafter just for the standard channels without any choice in the matter

A 100 inch projector with a subscription for Netflix and Sky Sports 1 + 2 Prime would be about €400-450 year one and €165 thereafter (or more like €13-14/mo since you can unsubscribe and/or switch to other services as and when you wish).

"Flicking between a dozen or so terrestrial channels on a box half the size and twice the price sounds like great fun". :p

1280*768

With a resolution as bad as most laptops these days, doesn't matter if it's 14 inches or 124 inches. It's gonna look squashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Huge Morkeshing opportunity for someone to start selling 10 9/10ths inch Tablets. Duck in under the old radar.. Fock ye and your rulez..

Herself insists on paying the TV licence fee, so won't be affected..but ohh the resentment of paying for rubbish. I never watch RTE, it burns my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Huge Morkeshing opportunity for someone to start selling 10 9/10ths inch Tablets. Duck in under the old radar.. Fock ye and your rulez..

Herself insists on paying the TV licence fee, so won't be affected..but ohh the resentment of paying for rubbish. I never watch RTE, it burns my eyes.

oh well, if they dont get you on the water charges ......

probably felt that the AAA types have loads of cheap IT, get them on that instead, and no meters needed either !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

gramar wrote: »
    I never got the fuss about water charges. The TV/broadcasting license is much more worth potesting about.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

jester77 wrote: »
    It's been that way for years where I live. Mobile phones also count here towards the fee, strange omission that they are not included as they are capable of streaming content.

So Germany isn't perfect? :P

__Alex__ wrote: »
    So Germany isn't perfect? :P

i remember visiting germany and a friend said

you need a license to walk across the street in germany !!

BoatMad wrote: »
    oh well, if they dont get you on the water charges ......

probably felt that the AAA types have loads of cheap IT, get them on that instead, and no meters needed either !!!

They should abolish the licence fee and introduce a satellite dish Tax on all dishes bigger than 9". It would be a pita initially but you'd see such a leap in dish technology and size reduction it wouldn't be right. And you wouldn't have to look at house doing a Mary Poppins - dishes like umberellas poking out everywhere.

Actually, they shouldn't. Every bloody move you make these days involves "a tax" or "Legislation" or "fees". They ought to feck off and reduce their costs, so they can slash their taxes levied, so people who live in Ireland and actually work don't wake up every day feeling like a Friesian second-calver, ripe to be milked to death.

Actually, they shouldn't. Every bloody move you make these days involves "a tax" or "Legislation" or "fees". They ought to feck off and reduce their costs, so they can slash their taxes levied, so people who live in Ireland and actually work don't wake up every day feeling like a Friesian second-calver, ripe to be milked to death.

sadly " people who live in Ireland" whether they work or not, also want there share of " free" public services , hence the need for taxes ( and these need to be raised unfortunately )

BoatMad wrote: »
    sadly " people who live in Ireland" whether they work or not, also want there share of " free" public services , hence the need for taxes ( and these need to be raised unfortunately )

I don't get any.
    Is there an "opt-out" clause?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Beyondgone wrote: »
    I don't get any.
    Is there an "opt-out" clause?

Massey's do a good range of coffins...They're a sure way to avoid those pesky license inspectors;)

Massey's do a good range of coffins...They're a sure way to avoid those pesky license inspectors;)

I never liked Masseys. Their frontages always looked decadent. Black bags out the back for me. Masseys? No recession down your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

1280*768

With a resolution as bad as most laptops these days, doesn't matter if it's 14 inches or 124 inches. It's gonna look squashed.
    If resolution is a big concern, the 1080p version is £377 (€435) and I've noticed Amazon can be very good for sales on this kind of stuff if you're patient. Might be some a bit cheaper too; still way less than a 60" TV and without the additional (soon to be) TV licence.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/fan/Optoma-HD141X-Full-HD-3D-1080p-Projector/B00M2YDBXK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490656315&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=optoma+hd28d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Billy86 wrote: »
    If resolution is a big concern, the 1080p version is £377 (€435) and I've noticed Amazon can be very good for sales on this kind of stuff if you're patient. Might be some a bit cheaper too; still way less than a 60" TV and without the additional (soon to be) TV licence.

The trouble with projectors is they're not very practical for most houses. Really need a room for them, even the tiny ones aren't that neat when you've everything connected up to them, can be a mess of cables going up walls over ceilings, etc.

You're right though you can get a v.good 1080p projector for about the price of a 42'' TV. however i wouldn't bother wasting money on any of the cheap or low resolution ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Will the rule stand up if it's in imperial meausrment?
    I thought all our efforts to impress the heads of Europe would insist we had a metric measurement for what meets the licence standard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How thoroughly do license inspectors search a gaff? Just have a secret hidey hole for all electronics any time someone rings the doorbell :D

How thoroughly do license inspectors search a gaff? Just have a secret hidey hole for all electronics any time someone rings the doorbell :D

they have no entitlement to enter your home at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,411 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

FFS RTE have plenty of land left to sell.
    Get rid of the high earners instead as well please?
    Journalism/politics students would be cheaper.

I wouldn't mind if they put out any decent programmes, but TG4 does it well and is creative, on a shoestring budget with a fraction of what RTE gets!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I watch a bit of RTE, so I'm happy enough to pay for a licence (especially now that they've lost the stupid rugby), but I think I'd stop buying one if they changed the rules like that. If I could no longer afford a licence, I could get rid of my television. I can't get rid of my laptop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

RayM wrote: »
    I watch a bit of RTE, so I'm happy enough to pay for a licence (especially now that they've lost the stupid rugby), but I think I'd stop buying one if they changed the rules like that. If I could no longer afford a licence, I could get rid of my television. I can't get rid of my laptop though.

The rugby was the only thing on RTE worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It really wasn't.
    Watching the goys blow the load at finishing 2nd in a tournament against 5 other teams was not worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

It really wasn't.
    Watching the goys blow the load at finishing 2nd in a tournament against 5 other teams was not worth watching.

Ah it was though. You can't beat high level international sport for entertainment and the 6 nations gave you about 5/6 hours of that over 3 games every weekend it was on. What else is on RTE that comes close to that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm sure it is, if you don't hate it. RTE certainly gave it plenty of coverage and promotion anyway. I'm just glad I'll no longer be paying for it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TBH I would miss RTÉ if it was disbanded. I still watch it for the news, for Nationwide (comfort TV!) a few shows and the odd Late Late. But then I'm an auld wan at 42.:o I doubt many twentysomething's would miss RTÉ.

But RTÉ needs to change. They should sell Montrose - it would be a cash cow for them to sell - and move to studios out along the M50. Also some presenters' salaries are ridiculously over-bloated. Cut out the fat and make it a leaner TV station. But Ireland still needs a national broadcaster and RTÉ is here to stay for quite a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

JupiterKid wrote: »
    TBH I would miss RTÉ if it was disbanded. I still watch it for the news, for Nationwide (comfort TV!) a few shows and the odd Late Late. But then I'm an auld wan at 42.:o I doubt many twentysomething's would miss RTÉ.

But RTÉ needs to change. They should sell Montrose - it would be a cash cow for them to sell - and move to studios out along the M50. Also some presenters' salaries are ridiculously over-bloated. Cut out the fat and make it a leaner TV station. But Ireland still needs a national broadcaster and RTÉ is here to stay for quite a while yet.

This is highly debateable. I'm not sure at all that we "need" a national broadcaster.
    Apart from public service television like Prime time investigates which has done excellent work in blowing the lid on many national scandals the need for a national broadcaster is negligible certainly far less that it was even 15 or so years ago i.e pre on demand TV.

I would say the amount of people watching live TV has greatly diminished. Personally I watch very little of it as 90% of it seems to be soaps, mundane celebrity chat shows or in RTE`s case if they find one of their mates in the RTE canteen they`ll throw them on the Late Late or Ray Darcy and reality crap, all of which I cant stand.

Its not like years ago when every home only had RTE and Network 2 and maybe a few English channels if they knew a lad that was handy with that kind of stuff.

In my view RTE is well past its sell by date and has had long enough to change its ways. Time to cut the apron strings and let it sink or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I don't understand people who say they never view or listen to RTE programmes. How do they keep informed about news, current affairs, sports, investigative documentaries or entertainment/culture events, etc., relevant to this island.

RTE may have its faults but unless you want to live on a diet of Hollywood movies, Aussie soaps and Judge Judy, it's the best source. TV3 does provide some Irish content programmes but it's a very limited service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    But Ireland still needs a national broadcaster and RTÉ is here to stay for quite a while yet.
    Agreed with this. The question is, though, in what form.

As another poster mentioned, there was a time not that many years ago when RTE were the only channels available to much of the country, so buying in soaps and comedies and so on was understandable. These days people can and do get that elsewhere. There isn't any need for RTE to be competing in this way, yet they still do. I think RTE needs to really examine what its role as a broadcaster is.

As well as stuff already mentioned like News, sports, investigative journalism and so on, RTE should be making stuff that wouldn't otherwise be made at all - programmes like Nationwide and stuff like documentaries on aspects of our culture, such as music, sport, history. This is part of our culture and should be cherished.

I think RTE must allocate a certain amount/% of its budget for commissioning of Irish-made programmes, and I'd support that too. There's no reason to completely dry up our pool of talent.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a national broadcaster and don't have a problem with paying for it either. I do have a problem paying for a broadcaster that competes in terms of content with other private broadcasters whose content I can choose to pay for or not, as I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

No I don't agree. So there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with the idea of a national broadcaster and don't have a problem with paying for it either. I do have a problem paying for a broadcaster that competes in terms of content with other private broadcasters whose content I can choose to pay for or not, as I wish.

Absolutely and for me this is the crux of the matter.

The thing is, it seems like RTE as an organisation is not willing to acknowledge what you express here and the government is probably not willing to force it upon them because starting a war with a large media outlet seems like a bad idea when you are in politics (unless you want a Trump strategy with constant tensions but clearly this is not what the people we have in government are after).

So the question is: what do we do from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Míshásta wrote: »
    I don't understand people who say they never view or listen to RTE programmes. How do they keep informed about news, current affairs, sports, investigative documentaries or entertainment/culture events, etc., relevant to this island.

RTE may have its faults but unless you want to live on a diet of Hollywood movies, Aussie soaps and Judge Judy, it's the best source. TV3 does provide some Irish content programmes but it's a very limited service.
    Mostly reading for me. Including Boards.

I don't get RTE in my house. I cancelled my Sky account a number of years ago, but continue to use the box for the free-to-air channels. RTE isn't included, so I go without. Still have a TV, so I buy the licence.

Advertisement