Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why can't rte go too Subscription model? and let anyone who wants too pay for tubby's salary off with them then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There are enough Irish langage fanatics around that they should be well able to fund their own radio station or provide a sufficient audience to attract advertising.
    On Classic, there is nothing particularly Irish about it. We have ClassicFM, Radio3 and Lyric and there is little to choose between them, depending on the show.
    Newstalk has shown that a private current affairs radio can survive, and thats in competition with RTE.
    Taxpayer funding of RTE radios is unnecessary and market distorting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvNw0P5ZMbA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why can't rte go too Subscription model? and let anyone who wants too pay for tubby's salary off with them then.

For the same reason that those who enjoy high culture don't spend their time watching I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.... It's drivel and given the choice, they'd cut off its funding. Therefore, the only way to ensure that Tubbs and co are kept in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed is to strongarm the populace into subsidising it via the licence fee because there's no way that the vast majority of them are anywhere near talented enough to survive in the job market.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I believe Eastenders is fairly popular in Ireland. Neighbours and Home and Away are broadcast much earlier and would be much easier to jettison IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I forgot about that...

I was thinking along the lines that if people actually watch in any significant number the content that RTÉ produces then it becomes somewhat justifiable.

H. H. Asquith

Of course. I'd managed to completely forget that most people get other stations along with RTÉ.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

One so called Irish TV channel kicked off it's first day on air with "Good Morning Britain"

RTE is a closed shop, where jobs are handed down to sons and daughters, a hiding place for over paid fat cats.

But an RTE news channel with shows like prime time on after 9:00 would be worth paying for.. Maybe Tubbs could open a few supermarkets.

And saorview should have been on astra satellite, as we all had dishes pointed at it already. ( who did that to us ? )

Thats ok if the advertising income they generate is more than they cost. If not, then its ridiculous to be doing this with taxpayer money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I remember reading a news report on a study that showed watching depressing soaps like EastEnders shortened your life expectancy. One would assume they also have poor health and are an additional cost for the HSE. Good work RTÉ, using the licence fee to overcrowd out hospitals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

McGaggs wrote: »
    I remember reading a news report on a study that showed watching depressing soaps like EastEnders shortened your life expectancy. One would assume they also have poor health and are an additional cost for the HSE. Good work RTÉ, using the licence fee to overcrowd out hospitals.
    This needs to put in a public health announcement before the credits. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adomolis

RTE is beyond saving. Just let them die. I wish more and more people withdrew from paying tv licence altogether. What pisses me off even more is that everyone will have to pay, even if they dont watch it at all. Were not in the 60'ies anymore where we had maybe two channels alltogether to watch so licence fee kinda made sense back then. Now we have netlix, hbo, amazon, youtube etc. all kinds of streaming services and most importanty WE HAVE A CHOICE. So the fee in 2017 absolutely does not make any sense. Heck, instead, we should be talking about getting rid of it for good and make RTE a fully commercialized broadcaster.

Anyway, how come I dont have to pay for road tax if i dont use the roads (declare vehicle off the road), but if i dont watch RTE i still have to pay it? I swear to god these pricks, they will not get a single cent from me. Not a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

jacksie66 wrote: »
    A joke. So I already paid tax to the government when I bought my laptop, phone or tablet. I pay tax on the electricity I use to charge it. I pay tax on my Internet so that I can watch content. And now they want an extra 160 to pay for a TV network I never watch and to pay some worthless TV presenters salary.
    They can rightly shag off..

so should we get all our news from Liberty Global or Murdoch's empire instead?

Let's privatise everything so? because that has no pitfalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

guile4582 wrote: »
    so should we get all our news from Liberty Global or Murdoch's empire instead?

Let's privatise everything so? because that has no pitfalls
    I think news should be a function of RTE, but there are thousands and thousands of different sources of news that you can access almost instantly, to be fair.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think news should be a function of RTE, but there are thousands and thousands of different sources of news that you can access almost instantly, to be fair.

do you trust all of them? will thejournal.ie ; TV3 ; Sky News pay for extensive coverage and cover the cost of cultural events like 1916 Celebrations, do the above also have or have an interest in having offices and staff all around the country to cover all these events? Given the the small commercial market that is here, and given the drop in advertising due to market uncertainty?

do they liase with schools and launch iniatives and projects with them concerning culture and the arts? would they bother if there was no RTE?

RTE is more than Tubs and overpaid celebrities too. a national broadcaster, especially when it comes to news and current affairs in the current climate is of immense importance, not to mention in a country where broadband is still not available to many, and Virgin and Sky have no interest in rolling out infastructure due to lack of profits available, RTE is a lifeline to many people via radio and TV. should we just further isolate rural communities?

if you agree RTE should broadcast news - do you believe a license fee therefore is justified?

Prime Time investigates, Tuam babies, Garda whistleblowers etc etc

would you trust other stations that are purely commercial to have no bias?

i am not saying RTE is perfect, the BBC has its fair share of breaches for similar but it has a remit as a public broadcaster, and if it fails to fulfill that remit, we can actually lobby to have something done about it. but to scrap it becuase you do not like the Late Late Show etc is ludricious. plus these shows still pull in ratings. people are watching it.

• Advertisement

do you trust all of them? will thejournal.ie ; TV3 ; Sky News pay for extensive coverage and cover the cost of cultural events like 1916 Celebrations, do the above also have or have an interest in having offices and staff all around the country to cover all these events? Given the the small commercial market that is here, and given the drop in advertising due to market uncertainty?

do they liase with schools and launch iniatives and projects with them concerning culture and the arts? would they bother if there was no RTE?

RTE is more than Tubs and overpaid celebrities too. a national broadcaster, especially when it comes to news and current affairs in the current climate is of immense importance, not to mention in a country where broadband is still not available to many, and Virgin and Sky have no interest in rolling out infastructure due to lack of profits available, RTE is a lifeline to many people via radio and TV. should we just further isolate rural communities?

if you agree RTE should broadcast news - do you believe a license fee therefore is justified?
    A licence fee is justified as far as they can justify it - €160 is not justified at that rate. €320 could would be justified if they were providing more effort on the front of Irish productions, better news analysis etc rather than spending it on countless foreign TV shows.

It's not the licence that I would have a big gripe it, it's how they use it.

A licence fee is justified as far as they can justify it - €160 is not justified at that rate. €320 could would be justified if they were providing more effort on the front of Irish productions, better news analysis etc rather than spending it on countless foreign TV shows.

It's not the licence that I would have a big gripe it, it's how they use it.

RTE is using the license fee to merely survive and maintain what original output it has due to governement slashing how much they give the station and because of license evasion. that is a fact. news analysis etc. that is huge studio costs and manpower costs. the money simply isnt there

those foreign tv shows you speak of are not costing huge amounts of money. a lot of the BBC syndicate shows are given to RTE at a huge discount and include free airings

RTE is using the license fee to merely survive and maintain what original output it has due to governement slashing how much they give the station and because of license evasion. that is a fact. news analysis etc. that is huge studio costs and manpower costs. the money simply isnt there

those foreign tv shows you speak of are not costing huge amounts of money. a lot of the BBC syndicate shows are given to RTE at a huge discount and include free airings

RTE make a shockingly poor effort at developing homegrown talent and content, and without even beginning to go into the laughable wages near the top end of the scale, a much bigger problem is spending €24mn a year on the likes on British, Australian and American soaps, sitcoms and dramas. The amount of their own material they could produce for that sum, as well as purchasing local content for distribution, is very very large. Just look at what TG4 do in this respect on an absolute pittance, relatively speaking.

And it's about far more than just the cost - as a national broadcaster taking in tax payers money they should have a remit to develop and provide exposure to the talent in their industry. they more than have the means to do that but instead, they'd rather just show lazy repeats of shows not even from here.

So no, I don't think my fee to the government should be going to pricing the likes of TV3 out of the market on this kind of non-domestic programming which ultimately just removes said funds straight out of the country. Do you?

Multiple channels - so lose RTE 2 and RTEjr? in case of clashes, i.e. GAA games with other events - use RTE Digital more? 100% agree. but what about broadband availability in certain areas?

Imported programmes - all the ones you mentioned are pulling in the ratings and justify themselves. generate commercial revenue which fills some of the gap of license evasion

Daniel & Majella / Dancing with stars? I agree with you but thousands don't. check the ratings!!

2FM - again as part of a cost cutting measure sure it can be cut.

Land in D4 - massive part is now up for sale. as for the rest, there is decades of infastructure, connectivity and fibre on that site. the cost of moving the whole site and dual running would basically mean RTE would probably only operate a 4 hour schedule a day but still needing everyones 160e fee. that ok with you?

2,000 employees? latest figures indicate 1800 with at least 200 redundancies sought

High salaries? how do you know this?? what should everyone in dublin earn? 25k?

Childcare facilites? i think roughly 1k a month to have your child in there for staff

On site club - this tiny gym comes to members at a cost of nearly 230e a year

Stars earnings? - yes very much inflated. agree with you

€24mn

that i believe is a 2013 figure. where is your source for 2016 or 2017 or what year is that figure for?

....in order to survive!

but yeah maybe now we have more choice (because once upon a time we didnt! and it wasnt that long ago, and i point out again in certain areas of the country a lot still dont have a choice).

so RTE chould relinquish all entertainment programmes and just stick with news/current affairs and sport

but i am sure the Irish public will have an issue paying for that too.

Oireachtas TV is now also available as a channel - so you can get your fill there too

• Advertisement

....in order to survive!

but yeah maybe now we have more choice (because once upon a time we didnt! and it wasnt that long ago, and i point out again in certain areas of the country a lot still dont have a choice).

so RTE chould relinquish all entertainment programmes and just stick with news/current affairs and sport

but i am sure the Irish public will have an issue paying for that too.

Oireachtas TV is now also available as a channel - so you can get your fill there too

They're doing a lot better than just surviving to be honest when you look at salaries and perks. They should either ditch the licence fee and become an independent broadcaster or ditch the advertising and stick to a public service remit. Mixing the two results in an incompetent broadcaster propped up by the taxpayer.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement