Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Options
  • 27-03-2017 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

what tablet has a screen size over 11 inches?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tablet_PC_dimensions_and_case_sizes

it mentions ipads spefically but they wouldnt acually count

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

What tablet? I don't own a tablet... :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Mine is 10 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They should deal with this first:
    TV licence evasion is already extremely high with over €40m not collected every year.

This will just be another charge that people won't pay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This plan has been in the pipeline for years.... the broadcasting licence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mine is 10 inches.

Bragging again eh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This will only affect those that don't already pay their TV licence.

• Advertisement

that one of those hybrid yokes , hardly common, i doubt you'll find one person ho has a 12.9 pro but lives in a house that dosent have a tv already

as the previous poster said make everyone pay who has a tv and the problem goes way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

This will only affect those that don't already pay their TV licence.

If they dont pay their tv licence I doubt this will affect them either

Sin City wrote: »

lol
    good point

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Basically your details will probably be passed on at point of purchase. Same as if you buy a TV in the North or GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It will eventually pull in every household in the country, weather you watch TV, listen to the radio, access the Internet. Although knowing are government, rather that make it cheaper than the TV licence, and still bring in more than the current set up, it will probably be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There are people who have screens and no television subscriptions. I know if I could convince my missus we'd drop Sky and watch Netflix, Channel 4, BBC etc online.
    I absolutely resent having to pay the television licence. I don't listen to any RTE stations on the radio and I never, yes never watch RTE 1 or 2. I'm paying for something I don't want, don't use and never will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

The government must think the internet is free. We're already paying to access the net plus whatever subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apart from the sheer stupidity of the whole TV license nonsense, I would have thought it would be easier to apply to Netflix subscriptions and similar services than to try and target laptops and devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It will eventually pull in every household in the country, weather you watch TV, listen to the radio, access the Internet. Although knowing are government, rather that make it cheaper than the TV licence, and still bring in more than the current set up, it will probably be more expensive.

Probably the next Irish water fecked up approach.

• Advertisement

I guess this would also include any business with desktop computers but no TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

using the rte player online should require your license number that way their fees are covering their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

using the rte player online should require your license number that way their fees are covering their services.

They should just make the whole thing subscription based like sky, let the people who want it pay for it and then you can access the online services too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

And they want to double the licence fee at the same time? Good luck with that.

There are people who have screens and no television subscriptions. I know if I could convince my missus we'd drop Sky and watch Netflix, Channel 4, BBC etc online.
    I absolutely resent having to pay the television licence. I don't listen to any RTE stations on the radio and I never, yes never watch RTE 1 or 2. I'm paying for something I don't want, don't use and never will use.

I would imagine the only way they might get a full complicence is if they get on to the tv/or isp and lable them with the fee to pass it onto their customers

So even if the customer has internet only they can still collect the licence fee

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Basically your details will probably be passed on at point of purchase. Same as if you buy a TV in the North or GB.

But only if your screen size is under 11 inches

Silane wrote: »
    They should just make the whole thing subscription based like sky, let the people who want it pay for it and then you can access the online services too.

They want to increase revenue
    not loose it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Tigger wrote: »
    that one of those hybrid yokes , hardly common, i doubt you'll find one person ho has a 12.9 pro but lives in a house that dosent have a tv already

as the previous poster said make everyone pay who has a tv and the problem goes way

They haven't been able to make everyone pay for a licence up to now, what are they going to do that changes that.
    A lot of the younger generation have no interest in typical tv channels and the like. We haven't had a T.V. station subscription service or any aerial to receive channels for years, just not interested. A load of ballcocks if you ask me.

As it says here, they will have fun trying to prove and enforce it.

Whether you've a telly or not, it will be fascinating to watch them trying to enforce this...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

The people at RTE and in government genuinely seem to struggle to believe that a lot of us don't use any RTE services at all. If they made it a subscription service and only charged E20 a year I wouldn't pay it, I don't need it and don't want it at any price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tigger wrote: »

I've known plenty of people with tv's who didn't use'em to watch tv. Ideally you should only need the tv/broadcast license if you intend to use those services.

Advertisement