Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

guile4582 wrote: »
    that i believe is a 2013 figure. where is your source for 2016 or 2017 or what year is that figure for?
    As Permabear pointed out that's from their most recent report, 2015.

Surely you agree that that money, dedicated towards the Irish TV & film industry in the form of the Irish TV licence, to the Irish national television and radio broadcaster, by the Irish taxpayer, would be better spent developing the Irish television and film industry and the Irish/Irish-based staff that work in it, keeping far more of the money circulating in the Irish economy, rather than being in moved straight out of our economy in the interest of outbidding an operator like TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

the 600 rural villages and towns that Minister for Comms has earmarked for investment for broadband infastructure

so what people want now for the 160e is 100% Irish produced and made content only? That is RTE 2's schedule you are quoting. what was on RTE One during that time? I see your point and the discussion is definetly worth having. the remit is changing/evolving. but for 50 years or so there was an appetite for acquired programming as well as Irish programming. Remember the excitement around the broadcasting of The Sopranos on RTE 2? that's not that long ago

but if the people just want 100% Irish. this is what we need to lobby on

Billy86 wrote: »
    As Permabear pointed out that's from their most recent report, 2015.

Surely you agree that that money, dedicated towards the Irish TV & film industry in the form of the Irish TV licence, to the Irish national television and radio broadcaster, by the Irish taxpayer, would be better spent developing the Irish television and film industry and the Irish/Irish-based staff that work in it, keeping far more of the money circulating in the Irish economy, rather than being in moved straight out of our economy in the interest of outbidding an operator like TV3?

I agree. the goalposts are moving. but I believe we need to engage and feedback. sometimes I just get sick of the no-pay brigade for the sake of no pay. for someone who has lived abroad for many many years in the past, I think I just appreciate an Irish national broadcaster and I definetly see it's worth. the proof is in the pudding, but the right noises do seem to be coming from the broadcaster regarding cutting costs and changing it's outlook on its place in the current climate.

perks?

explain?

if any other organisation was cutting 200 jobs there would be uproar but nah if it's RTE these people don't matter

• Advertisement

They're doing a lot better than just surviving to be honest when you look at salaries and perks. They should either ditch the licence fee and become an independent broadcaster or ditch the advertising and stick to a public service remit. Mixing the two results in an incompetent broadcaster propped up by the taxpayer.
    I wouldn't even have issue with RTE using ads while on the licence fee, with one stern remit that all productions must be homegrown*.

*That doesn't even mean RTE need to have made it, just that it is an Irish show. Plenty of small production companies are getting things made and having difficulty distributing them which RTE could pick up at very low prices given the exposure that will be given in return (like the Miramax example I gave yesterday). With Youtube and the likes as well, there are plenty of areas to search for available content and talent to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

explain?

if any other organisation was cutting 200 jobs there would be uproar but nah if it's RTE these people don't matter

Have a read for yourself:

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/working-with-rte/2012/0301/291782-working-with-rte/

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

did you read my post about the "perks" and their costs to the staff?

thats a list of facilities available on site*. these all come at a cost

*also available to the general public if associated I may add

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the general public who pays for these perks. If staff pay for them themselves then they wouldn't be perks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's the general public who pays for these perks. If staff pay for them themselves then they wouldn't be perks.

so you just proved my point for me?

Gym "perk" for example

http://rteclub.eu/sign-up/

• Advertisement

so you just proved my point for me?

Of course not. Taxpayers' coffers are raided to pay for these perks for RTÉ staff.

H. H. Asquith

I agree. the goalposts are moving. but I believe we need to engage and feedback. sometimes I just get sick of the no-pay brigade for the sake of no pay. for someone who has lived abroad for many many years in the past, I think I just appreciate an Irish national broadcaster and I definetly see it's worth. the proof is in the pudding, but the right noises do seem to be coming from the broadcaster regarding cutting costs and changing it's outlook on its place in the current climate.

Yeah it does go both ways alright. I don't know what the public opinion on this is like in the UK but it would be interesting - their licence fee is almost identical to ours (£145.50 = €167.79), though it strikes me that the BBC has a very fond place in the hearts of the average Brit, compared to RTE over here. I'm pretty sure they make (or at least distribute) all their own stuff with it all being domestic, and by and large it seems exactly as it should be. And while we might not wind up having successes to the same extent, they make a good bit of money off of merchandising of, reselling to other networks, etc for the likes of Match of the Day, Attenborough, and Top Gear (at least in the Clarkson era it was making them £50mn/yr - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/top-gear-bbc-jeremy-clarkson )

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah it does go both ways alright. I don't know what the public opinion on this is like in the UK but it would be interesting - their licence fee is almost identical to ours (£145.50 = €167.79), though it strikes me that the BBC has a very fond place in the hearts of the average Brit, compared to RTE over here. I'm pretty sure they make (or at least distribute) all their own stuff with it all being domestic, and by and large it seems exactly as it should be. And while we might not wind up having successes to the same extent, they make a good bit of money off of merchandising of, reselling to other networks, etc for the likes of Match of the Day, Attenborough, and Top Gear (at least in the Clarkson era it was making them £50mn/yr - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/top-gear-bbc-jeremy-clarkson )

I'd put that down to the size of the taxpayer base in the UK and the attitude towards paying taxes in traditionally Protestant countries that if the government is going to tax your money then there's pressure to make sure you get good service. I'm quite fond of the BBC myself. There's a multitude of high quality programming on offer and they're quite good at making it accessible, downloading on their iPlayer service for example.

H. H. Asquith

And it won't be much good to anyone living more than an hour's drive away either so being accessible to the general public is irrelevant.

H. H. Asquith

This post had been deleted.oking at how to adapt
    [/B]

And it won't be much good to anyone living more than an hour's drive away either so being accessible to the general public is irrelevant.

what an idiotic statement. i could say that about anything!

what an idiotic statement. i could say that about anything!

True but it wouldn't be terribly relevant unless you're being made to pay for it.

H. H. Asquith

True but it wouldn't be terribly relevant unless you're being made to pay for it.

no. it's a stupid observation believe me. serves no justification. you seem like the type who gives a nurse grief when she is attending to you by saying "I pay your wages". sorry if that insults you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It would be nice to see more detail on this, e.g. per show. IMHO

no. it's a stupid observation believe me. serves no justification. you seem like the type who gives a nurse grief when she is attending to you by saying "I pay your wages". sorry if that insults you.

There's no need to be so insulting. I was pointing out that your point that these facilities are open to the public are irrelevant when the overwhelming majority of those who are made to pay for them will never be able to use them.

H. H. Asquith

There's no need to be so insulting. I was pointing out that your point that these facilities are open to the public are irrelevant when the overwhelming majority of those who are made to pay for them will never be able to use them.

again that holds no water. think about what you are saying. also look into who owns and operates said creche

I believe it is through association

That makes two of us. I can't imagine people in places like Donegal and Cork struggling to pay for childcare being to thrilled about being made to fund childcare for people with lavish salaries.

H. H. Asquith

I believe it is through association

Any proof?

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Here's a link to the company operating it. No mention of it being open to the public.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement