Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Down 1999 To Go

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Jimgoose has got a job he enjoys. That's fùcking class like.

Don't be a hater lad.

I'm not a lad first off.

And second off I'm not a hater either. Do dislike people bragging however.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Simple statement of fact. The point, Grasshopper, is that not everyone has the same experience of these tedious, mundane things, and it changes as you progress through life. I do apologise if you're offended, but that isn't my problem.

Not offended at all, merely slightly irritated at such blatant bragging. You needed to tell us you have a jaguar to make the point? Okay so. Says more about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

pilly wrote: »
    I'm not a lad first off.

And second off I'm not a hater either. Do dislike people bragging however.

It is not "bragging" to point out that things considered tedious and mundane by a lot of people can be quite enjoyable, even verging on "awesome", to other people in different circumstances.

Not offended at all, merely slightly irritated at such blatant bragging. You needed to tell us you have a jaguar to make the point? Okay so. Says more about you.

To make this particular point fully, yes - to wit, all commutes are not the same. It's fairly common knowledge around here in fairness, that I am a luxobargist and shitheapist 7th Dan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Brag much?

I don't generally agree with Glenster but a lot of this is bull imho.

Even if not, it's not your average persons experience of a day.

?????

Bit harsh....

• Advertisement

To make this particular point fully, yes - to wit, all commutes are not the same. It's fairly common knowledge around here in fairness, that I am a luxobargist and shitheapist 7th Dan. :pac:

No idea what this means?

Glenster wrote: »
    ?????

Bit harsh....

Sorry Glen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Your posts are saying a lot more about you than Jimgoose's post said about him. He was pointing out what makes him happy in everyday life. You're coming across as bitter and begrudging.

No idea what this means?

Someone who likes owning/driving/servicing/messing with big, comfy, luxurious old cars that are worth fuck-all and have a motor-tax bill the size of the GDP of Guatemala. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Harambe wrote: »
    Wait til you have a kid OP, that's when the fun starts.

I'm gay so I'll never be able to afford one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Leave Jim alone ffs, ye would argue over a fly on the wall, some of ye.

jimgoose wrote:
    Someone who likes owning/driving/servicing/messing with big, comfy, luxurious old cars that are worth ****-all and have a motor-tax bill the size of the GDP of Guatemala.

Apologies so, I obviously don't hang around boards enough.

Your posts are saying a lot more about you than Jimgoose's post said about him. He was pointing out what makes him happy in everyday life. You're coming across as bitter and begrudging.

Ah, she's alright - some people have an awful time of it trying to get to and from work on time. My commuting setup annoys a lot of people! :pac:

Apologies so, I obviously don't hang around boards enough.

You're alright. A couple of my mates drive Mercs that cost north of €100k, if they ever start posting to boards you can murder them instead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966169

Luxobarges..............well worth a look.

Not at all bitter and begrudging. I've an awful lot more in my life than the average joe soap but I can still acknowledge that for the vast majority life is tough.

Doesn't help at all to post, "well I have all this and my life is awesome". OP doesn't have it handy at the moment.

I agree with a lot of people here that you have to look at the long term and it won't always be like that but it's easy for us with the benefit of hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

eamonnq wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966169

Luxobarges..............well worth a look.

I dont understand that. Nice cars being sold cheap? An insurance company would laugh at me if I asked to be insured on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I dont understand that. Nice cars being sold cheap? An insurance company would laugh at me if I asked to be insured on one of them

Nice cars being sold for what people can get for them.

High tax is usually enough to put people off.

Ah, she's alright - some people have an awful time of it trying to get to and from work on time. My commuting setup annoys a lot of people! :pac:

My commute door to door is 20 minutes, non-stop no traffic lights, view of the Galtee mountains so no annoyance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Not at all bitter and begrudging. I've an awful lot more in my life than the average joe soap but I can still acknowledge that for the vast majority life is tough.

Doesn't help at all to post, "well I have all this and my life is awesome". OP doesn't have it handy at the moment.

I agree with a lot of people here that you have to look at the long term and it won't always be like that but it's easy for us with the benefit of hindsight.

He wasn't replying to the OP in that post though, he was replying to Glenster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really? You would describe the eight hours you spend in work every day as "awesome"?
    Pretty damn enjoyable, there is the odd down day but I am involved in something I enjoy and happen to be reasonably good at. People give me money to do what i enjoy. i wish they gave me more but, yeah, pretty damn good.
    Making dinner in the evening. Awesome?
    I love cooking, I love eating even more.
    Commuting to/from work. Awesome?
    Pretty damn epic, I love it, great people, bit of fresh air, generally quite enjoyable. I understand that many people don't have as enjoyable commutes as me though.
    Getting up in the morning. Awesome?
    I get woken most mornings by my partner or my kids, so yes, awesome. When they weren't on the scene, I used to wake at my leisure, also awesome. I love tea or coffee and breakfast.
    Don't get me wrong, my life isn't comparably worse that most people's, its probably a lot better than most people I know, but I'm realistic enough not to describe my daily tedium as "awesome".
    If I thought my daily life was tedium, I wouldn't call it awesome either. The day I don't learn something new, I will probably follow your line of thinking but thankfully has not happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Really? You would describe the eight hours you spend in work every day as "awesome"?

Making dinner in the evening. Awesome?

Commuting to/from work. Awesome?

Getting up in the morning. Awesome?

Don't get me wrong, my life isn't comparably worse that most people's, its probably a lot better than most people I know, but I'm realistic enough not to describe my daily tedium as "awesome".

...Doesn't help at all to post, "well I have all this and my life is awesome". OP doesn't have it handy at the moment...

<sigh> First up, that isn't what I was saying at all. Secondly, we are quite aware that the OP "doesn't have it handy at the moment". The trouble is said OP seemed to be worried that this tedious drag-arse life, not atypical for young people getting to grips with life, inclulding this Marine as a youngfella I might add, is all there is until retirement and death. Some of us are trying to point out that it generally gets a lot better, surprisingly quickly in many cases.

That's another thing that gets better as you trundle along. Ye shall have faith, yea, and walk upon the waters. ;)

My commute door to door is 20 minutes, non-stop no traffic lights, view of the Galtee mountains so no annoyance here.

So there you are. Like me, thousands would kill to swap for your version of commuting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I think Millennials have it right. All they're asking is what's the bloody point of it all? To just come into the world, exist in a tandem state of mediocrity and struggling. These are essential things for changing the human mindset to a better place. Of course you get the usual nonsense that it's childish they're lazy etc. That's fine who cares. I care about me and my experience of life and don't give a s**t what you think about how I go about it<<<general mindset of most millennia's I'd imagine or at least what I experience among friends and others my age. That's pretty brave in my opinion. To look at your world and say this ain't right and it isn't.

I think it's actually pretty immature to not ask yourself the questions am I happy? Is this what I want my life to be? That's a fully formed human mind with great self awareness. Unfortunately others like to pretend otherwise that "hey that's just life you get on with it". No. No you really don't. You'll die and whatever about an afterlife this could just be it. So just leave whatever it is you hate because hey here's a little secret. You don't have to do, be anything, be anywhere you don't want to.

I'm not slandering or bumping my generation up anymore than others. Every generation has it's merits and pitfalls. The constant obsession with fame and good looks would be traits I despise in mine. On the other hand my Dad's (64) generation ushered in a generation of equality and understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I think Millennials have it right. All they're asking is what's the bloody point of it all? To just come into the world, exist in a tandem state of mediocrity and struggling. These are essential things for changing the human mindset to a better place. Of course you get the usual nonsense that it's childish they're lazy etc. That's fine who cares. I care about me and my experience of life and don't give a s**t what you think about how I go about it<<<general mindset of most millennia's I'd imagine or at least what I experience among friends and others my age. That's pretty brave in my opinion. To look at your world and say this ain't right and it isn't.

I think it's actually pretty immature to not ask yourself the questions am I happy? Is this what I want my life to be? That's a fully formed human mind with great self awareness. Unfortunately others like to pretend otherwise that "hey that's just life you get on with it". No. No you really don't. You'll die and whatever about an afterlife this could just be it. So just leave whatever it is you hate because hey here's a little secret. You don't have to do, be anything, be anywhere you don't want to.

I'm not slandering or bumping my generation up anymore than others. Every generation has it's merits and pitfalls. The constant obsession with fame and good looks would be traits I despise in mine. On the other hand my Dad's (64) generation ushered in a generation of equality and understanding.

I love how you think your generation is the first to ponder the meaning of life and why we are here :pac:

Every generation has asked that but the fact has always remained that you need money to live/exist so tough **** if you don't enjoy it, it's a bonus if you do though. People absolutely should aim for a career they'll enjoy where possible but it's not a God given right and people shouldn't act like it is. And you can work your ass off to try get that job and still fail and again, tough ****, it's luck of the draw, you'll still need an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

neonsofa wrote: »
    I love how you think your generation is the first to ponder the meaning of life and why we are here :pac:

Every generation has asked that but the fact has always remained that you need money to live/exist so tough **** if you don't enjoy it, it's a bonus if you do though. People absolutely should aim for a career they'll enjoy where possible but it's not a God given right and people shouldn't act like it is. And you can work your ass off to try get that job and still fail and again, tough ****, it's luck of the draw, you'll still need an income.

Indeed, what the poster is describing however isn't a personal philosophy, it's what Durkheim described in the 1890's a 'anomie', "the malady of the infinite", and because desire without limit which can never be fulfilled, it leads to a vague dissatisfaction with life that is often produced as "condition in which society provides little moral guidance to individuals", ....or as I might put it, a banging sense of entitlement born out of an enflated ego and an 'I want and I want it now' culture.
    Perhaps it hasn't occurred to the poster that many a mediocre life is lived because the person living it is, well, pretty mediocre. Anomie is best expressed these days by the moron 'hopefuls' you see queuing up each year for the X-Factor auditions.

There's a load of miserable people here. Needlessly miserable, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Consider two people pondering this issue.

One is inclined towards being negative and dissatisfied ( personality trait ) and or has metal health issue every careers/job/ life situation always has something wrong with it, but they don't have the insight in to themselves to understand that its not the job/career/ in and off its self that is the problem its the way they view the situations.

The other person is not sure if they are happy with their working situation/career choice but understand they have some control over their situation( not total control over their situation) The also have a more realistic and optimistic view of their life and the potential to be contented with life.

Advertisement