Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Down 1999 To Go

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Or perhaps I'll go out every weekend to see him and spend money I don't have and money my mam is so eager to get her hands on.

You have such a horrible attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Yet, my brother who doesn't pay a penny towards anything, brings home his girlfriend without introducing her and into his bed.

Moving too fast for a movie night?

What is a suitable timeframe to have someone over for a movie? Will I wait for 10 dates, or maybe 10 months. We have 8 under our belt. The reason half my brothers don't know I'm dating is because they are on the other end of he world.

Or perhaps I'll go out every weekend to see him and spend money I don't have and money my mam is so eager to get her hands on.

What I, or you for that matter, think doesn't come into it because it's your mams house and what she thinks/wants/feels is all that matters when it comes to who she let's into her house. 8 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things if you're planning on spending your life together so if you expect it to last then there really is no rush. If its just a bit of fun then there is no point in falling out with your mam over some random guy. There are plenty of ways to see each other that don't involve money and tbh it's not really your mother's concern how you spend your money, she isn't there to subsidise your social/love life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

The words you used to describe your mother on mothers day were truly awful.

Yeah! Hallmark would be disgusted that you disgraced their day with such foul words.

Bloody hell, get a grip.
    GO back and see what she called her mother. No need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

neonsofa wrote: »
    What I, or you for that matter, think doesn't come into it because it's your mams house and what she thinks/wants/feels is all that matters when it comes to who she let's into her house. 8 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things if you're planning on spending your life together so if you expect it to last then there really is no rush. If its just a bit of fun then there is no point in falling out with your mam over some random guy. There are plenty of ways to see each other that don't involve money and tbh it's not really your mother's concern how you spend your money, she isn't there to subsidise your social/love life.

She means 8 dates not 8 months which is even worse.

She means 8 dates not 8 months which is even worse.

Jeez, 8 dates... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why do I get the distinct sense that this thread is prime fodder for poor mouth misery merchant posters who are not even being that all that candid about their state of affairs to moan on?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

OP I'm in a similar mood these days. It's like, you do all the right things, and all the right stuff happens for you, and all is good, but you're left with a feeling like ... "Is this it???"

I was recently lucky enough to get a really good job after being out of work for nearly two years. It's a better job and better money than my old job, it's a lovely office environment with great people, all is good on paper. And yet only a week in, and I'm hating how ... indifferent I am to the work I'm doing. I definitely need a career change, I've a few things in mind and it will happen down the line. But unfortunately, to pay the bills, I've no choice but to stick with boring Finance work for now. I so look forward to a time when I wake up in the morning with a real passion for the work I'll be doing.

For the moment though, I'm trying to focus on being grateful for all the good things in my life today, and I'm trying to keep my standards and expectations reasonable. That's always been a problem of mine - my counsellor was only saying to me the other day, it's like I expect real life to be full of fireworks and bells and whistles, it's hard for me to accept the mundanity of it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

my counsellor was only saying to me the other day, it's like I expect real life to be full of fireworks and bells and whistles, it's hard for me to accept the mundanity of it all!

That's pretty much the same for me. Surely there must be something more exciting that this? But alas, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

That's pretty much the same for me. Surely there must be something more exciting that this? But alas, no.

Exciting as an adult, is when theres a bit o'dryin' weather out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Can everyone just accept that life is sh*t interspersed with brief good bits and move on?

TBH its a bit late for ye all to be realising it now. I've been up to speed since 4th class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Exciting as an adult, is when theres a bit o'dryin' weather out.

Damn right. I got so excited by the weather yesterday I re-hung my front gate with shiny-new Rawlbolts and a brickie's level. Then I had to have a little lie-down. In fairness to me, when I recovered a bit I went for a pint. :cool:

OP, I have every sympathy - I really do. It was always difficult for youngsters starting out in the world of work and never more so than today, with zero-hour contracts, traffic bedlam, outrageous motoring and accomodation costs and so on and so forth.

Having said that much, I take it you don't plan on working/living in the wrong place for crappy wages for the next forty years? Of course not, that'd be stupid. Assuming you work in a field that interests you - if not, sort that out as soon as you can - then have at it, get properly good at it, grab every opportunity that comes your way and it will get better. Much better. I guarantee it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Glenster wrote: »
    Can everyone just accept that life is sh*t interspersed with brief good bits and move on?

Sad times for you, I think you maybe doing it wrong, life is awesome, interspersed with some absolutely crushing moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Anyone not happy (and with no kids ect.) with the situation in Ireland should go work abroad for a year or two, you'll either love it and keep travelling and working in different countries, or not like it and appreciate Ireland more.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sad times for you, I think you maybe doing it wrong, life is awesome, interspersed with some absolutely crushing moments.

Really? You would describe the eight hours you spend in work every day as "awesome"?

Making dinner in the evening. Awesome?

Commuting to/from work. Awesome?

Getting up in the morning. Awesome?

Don't get me wrong, my life isn't comparably worse that most people's, its probably a lot better than most people I know, but I'm realistic enough not to describe my daily tedium as "awesome".

Really? You would describe the eight hours you spend in work every day as "awesome"?
    Yes. I work in the cutting-edge of ICT technology, inventing the future every day. I mainly manage my own time.
    Yup. I eat out about half the week, the other half the bacon-and-cabbage is on the cooker, that "country" aroma wafting pleasantly around the kitchen.
    Yes. Fifteen minutes each way in my Jaguar, on a HQDC that practically goes to my door in a quiet Cork suburb. I'm usually going in the opposite direction to the heavy traffic, as it happens.
    Yes. Love it - high-and-tight at 0600, private! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes. I work in the cutting-edge of ICT technology, inventing the future every day. I mainly manage my own time.

Yup. I eat out about half the week, the other half the bacon-and-cabbage is on the cooker, that "country" aroma wafting pleasantly around the kitchen.

Yes. Fifteen minutes each way in my Jaguar, on a HQDC that practically goes to my door in a quiet Cork suburb. I'm usually going in the opposite direction to the heavy traffic, as it happens.

Jesus lad, that is one helluva good way to live life!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Winterlong wrote: »

Pity that he has to live in Cork though.

Don't get me wrong, my life isn't comparably worse that most people's, its probably a lot better than most people I know, but I'm realistic enough not to describe my daily tedium as "awesome".

I love my job and it's generally awesome. Commuting and listening to the radio in the morning is great fun. Making dinner is not always fun but eating it is! It can get a bit mundane at times but generally yeah life can be fun and enjoyable for people even if it is just daily tasks that others find tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

and he gets to post on boards.ie !!

• Advertisement

It's the only way to live life - like a furkin' boss. :cool:

josip wrote: »
    Pity that he has to live in Cork though.

Ireland's answer to Austin, Tx biy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yes life can be tedious, but anyone's going to be miserable if they let the tedium take over. When I'm sitting in work pissed off, or stuck in traffic, or having to get up early, of course I'm not full of the joys of life. However I have an awesome family, awesome friends, an awesome boyfriend, and a pretty great life overall. So instead of focusing on the bad/boring/tedious things in life, I focus on the good, and it makes for a generally happy me.

Yes life can be tedious, but anyone's going to be miserable if they let the tedium take over. When I'm sitting in work pissed off, or stuck in traffic, or having to get up early, of course I'm not full of the joys of life. However I have an awesome family, awesome friends, an awesome boyfriend, and a pretty great life overall. So instead of focusing on the bad/boring/tedious things in life, I focus on the good, and it makes for a generally happy me.

Here, I'm just a realistic person. Tedious things are tedious, its not a crime to point this out. And when the tedious things are happening I let them happen, I experience life as it is. By your logic someone being kicked in the balls, if they thought about being fondled in the balls, would be having a great time.

I wouldn't swap my life with anybody, my girlfriend is great too, doesn't mean that the 7 or so hours I'm doing work a day are less blecth.

If owning a car, eating bacon and cabbage, and working in IT can be the high points of your day, more power to you. I wouldn't swap the equivalent bits of my day for those bits.

...If owning a car, eating bacon and cabbage, and working in IT can be the high points of your day, more power to you. I wouldn't swap the equivalent bits of my day for those bits.

You're missing the point. I never said any of those were the high-points of typical day, I said I had no reason to consider them tedious or mundane. That's just me. And I wasn't referring to owning a car so much as to the quality of my commute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jimgoose wrote: »

Brag much?

I don't generally agree with Glenster but a lot of this is bull imho.

Even if not, it's not your average persons experience of a day.

pilly wrote: »
    Brag much?

I don't generally agree with Glenster but a lot of this is bull imho...

Simple statement of fact. The point, Grasshopper, is that not everyone has the same experience of these tedious, mundane things, and it changes as you progress through life. I do apologise if you're offended, but that isn't my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I wouldn't swap my life with anybody, my girlfriend is great too, doesn't mean that the 7 or so hours I'm doing work a day are less blecth.

Well I guess we're just different then. Knowing I can go home every evening to someone I love and who makes me happy, makes those 7 hours less "blecth". As does looking forward to plans I've made with my friends on Friday night. As does getting cute pictures of my nephews from my sister. As does a whole myriad of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Wait til you have a kid OP, that's when the fun starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

pilly wrote: »
    Brag much?

I don't generally agree with Glenster but a lot of this is bull imho.

Even if not, it's not your average persons experience of a day.

Jimgoose has got a job he enjoys. That's fùcking class like.

Don't be a hater lad.

Advertisement