Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Down 1999 To Go

Options
  • 26-03-2017 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭

Last year I graduated from college and since then I've had 2 jobs and have hated both of them (currently still doing the second one although I don't know for how much longer.)

It's not even that I hate the jobs that much, it's just that I hate the fact that I have no free time, someone is constantly on my back piling more and more work on me. I have a 2 hour commute into work and a 2.5 hour commute home from work (travelling within Dublin on public transport which in itself is a joke) which leaves me with about 4 hours at home in the evening but I'm too wrecked to do anything then. There are weekends but that's only 2 days and they go far too quickly.

I get paid peanuts, can't afford a car or to move out of my parents house. I have no time to spend with my boyfriend as he is in the same position.

I suppose the question is; when will I get used to this? Or will I ever get used to it?
    I estimate that I have about 2000 weeks of this ahead of me assuming I retire at 65. Do I have to wait until I'm 65 to do the things I want to do? to be free? Is this what adult life is? Work for very little in the hopes that by the time I'm retired I'll still be of sound enough mind and body to do the things I want to do?

I suppose I'm thinking about this now as it is Sunday night and I (and I assume most of you) are facing into another week of work and I am dreading it. 1 down 1999 to go.

What do you do to take your mind off these things? How do you forget about the capitalist slog to old age?

I know I'll be called a whiny millennial and that's ok because I am a whiny millennial and there's not much I can do about that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Have you considered being paid by the State for staying at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have you considered being paid by the State for staying at home?

As little as I'm currently being paid, it's still a whole lot better than the dole. Although it does sound great on paper :pac:

Ach. I usually find a 6 pack takes the edge off the Sunday evening black dog humping my leg and sxxxxxxg on the duvet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Welcome to adulting. Turns out it's not that much fun hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Last year I graduated from college and since then I've had 2 jobs and have hated both of them (currently still doing the second one although I don't know for how much longer.)

It's not even that I hate the jobs that much, it's just that I hate the fact that I have no free time, someone is constantly on my back piling more and more work on me. I have a 2 hour commute into work and a 2.5 hour commute home from work (travelling within Dublin on public transport which in itself is a joke) which leaves me with about 4 hours at home in the evening but I'm too wrecked to do anything then. There are weekends but that's only 2 days and they go far too quickly.

I get paid peanuts, can't afford a car or to move out of my parents house. I have no time to spend with my boyfriend as he is in the same position.

I suppose the question is; when will I get used to this? Or will I ever get used to it?
    I estimate that I have about 2000 weeks of this ahead of me assuming I retire at 65. Do I have to wait until I'm 65 to do the things I want to do? to be free? Is this what adult life is? Work for very little in the hopes that by the time I'm retired I'll still be of sound enough mind and body to do the things I want to do?

I suppose I'm thinking about this now as it is Sunday night and I (and I assume most of you) are facing into another week of work and I am dreading it. 1 down 1999 to go.

What do you do to take your mind off these things? How do you forget about the capitalist slog to old age?

I know I'll be called a whiny millennial and that's ok because I am a whiny millennial and there's not much I can do about that.

2.5 hour commute from work??? Crazy, Dont believe it.

Retire at 65? Ha!, We'll all be working until we're 70.

Weekend isnt long enough? You were working before you figured that out?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

4.5 hours a day commuting is not right in any man's language , you need to take a long look at what's going on , I'd prefer working in the local chipper than to be doing that , I spend 2 hours a day commuting and it's just about tolerable

Glenster wrote: »
    2.5 hour commute from work??? Crazy, Dont believe it.

Retire at 65? Ha!, We'll all be working until we're 70.

Weekend isnt long enough? You were working before you figured that out?

I wish the commute wasn't true but it is. Rush hour traffic kills me. The weekend felt longer when i was a kid and also in college I could take as much time off as I wanted, it was all online anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm in a similar boat as yourself. Except I don't have a commute time. I do work long hours some days though. Sometimes I don't even get weekends off either.

My wage is crap too and has me living at home. Rental accommodation in my village and surrounding areas is nil according to daft.ie. To be able to afford a place, I'd have to look at house shares in the city and then give up my current work and seek something new. Something I hope to do this summer.

I help at home and pay bills.

I was in absolute tears today. I'm early days dating a lad and I like him. I talked to my mam (dad is gone from house) to see if I could have him over for a movie because going out every week is costly and we would like to snuggle on the couch as well (I didn't tell mam that). My mam has the kitchen to herself with TV so it's not like she would be bored without a sitting room for an hour or two or three once every few weeks. She was cool with it. Went ahead, made plans with my lad and mentioned it to mam this morning and she was a cnut about it so I had to cancel.

I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now. Today I was thinking jumping into a coffin would be the best place for me because I want no more of this. I'm breaking my fcuking back every day. If I had the guts I'd do.

This recession has thought me and it's only recently I've learned this - look after yourself and to fcuk with anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

As little as I'm currently being paid, it's still a whole lot better than the dole. Although it does sound great on paper :pac:

I have been in full time employment since I was 18, so, 17 years now.

I love the job but at times it can be tough but I just have to suck it the fcuk up.

12hr/24hr shifts, weeks or months at a time away at home/abroad from friends and family. Missing key events in your life and the lives of your friends/family. Your social life can take a big hit depending on what you are up to.

Stress, pressure, pain, responsibility, not enough time or money....thats all part of the worker bee life.

Some people are happier or have better opportunities in their job. Some people fall on their feet and do well. Some do better than they actually deserve to. Some get paid a fcuk ton of money for actually doing fcuk all. Some get paid fcuk all for doing a fcuk ton of work.

For most people, its not easy to get the right work/life/money balance. Most have to just accept it.

The only advice I could give to someone is to find a job they are happy with. The pros and cons after that are easier to accept.

Finding that job is the hard part.

Best of luck.

I love the job but at times it can be tough but I just have to suck it the fcuk up.

12hr/24hr shifts, weeks or months at a time away at home/abroad from friends and family. Missing key events in your life and the lives of your friends/family. Your social life can take a big hit depending on what you are up to.

Stress, pressure, pain, responsibility, not enough time or money....thats all part of the worker bee life.

Some people are happier or have better opportunities in their job. Some people fallmon their feet and do well. Some do better than the actually deserve to. Some get paid a fcuk tom of money for actually doing fcuk all. Some get paid fcuk all for doing a fcuk ton of work.

For most people, its not easy to get the right work/life/money balance. Most have to just accept it.

The only advice I could give to someone is to find a job they are happy with. The pros and cons after that are easier to accept.

Best of luck.

Working on that. Although apparently it's not good to hop from one job to another. You have to stay in jobs you hate for years just so it doesn't look bad on your CV. **** that though, I couldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Some people are happier or have better opportunities in their job. Some people fallmon their feet and do well. Some do better than the actually deserve to. Some get paid a fcuk tom of money for actually doing fcuk all. Some get paid fcuk all for doing a fcuk ton of work.

Best of luck.
    I think jobs are sh1t. I had loads, I hated them all, so I hired myself. I prefer it that way. I get on ok with the Boss. There's downsides too, but that's life.
    Broken-hearted needs to tell the Mammy to feck off out of her life, into the kitchen. Otherwise she's going to wake up some day with regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Self Employment OP

You work hard but your the boss

You can choose where your based

How much you make is up to you

A job you hate isn't a life sentence. Don't get too down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Welcome to the big bad adult world of work.

It gets easier with time but your length of commute seems a bit over the top. Are you 100 miles from your work? You need to look at reducing that dead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

Used to do 4.5-5 hours a day on Dublin Bus go to college. It caused me a fair few back problems, of which never existed before or after I finished college.

At least I had the college option of skipping days or working from home plus holidays. I wouldn't have been able to do 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

Quality of life is the most important thing we have. I had a medium term goal of 4 years and I was done in college. I'd be packing in that job if I were you.

I'm in a similar boat as yourself. Except I don't have a commute time. I do work long hours some days though. Sometimes I don't even get weekends off either.

My wage is crap too and has me living at home. Rental accommodation in my village and surrounding areas is nil according to daft.ie. To be able to afford a place, I'd have to look at house shares in the city and then give up my current work and seek something new. Something I hope to do this summer.

I help at home and pay bills.

I was in absolute tears today. I'm early days dating a lad and I like him. I talked to my mam (dad is gone from house) to see if I could have him over for a movie because going out every week is costly and we would like to snuggle on the couch as well (I didn't tell mam that). My mam has the kitchen to herself with TV so it's not like she would be bored without a sitting room for an hour or two or three once every few weeks. She was cool with it. Went ahead, made plans with my lad and mentioned it to mam this morning and she was a cnut about it so I had to cancel.

I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now. Today I was thinking jumping into a coffin would be the best place for me because I want no more of this. I'm breaking my fcuking back every day. If I had the guts I'd do.

This recession has thought me and it's only recently I've learned this - look after yourself and to fcuk with anyone else.

Did you tell your mam how upset you are about it? She probably would have let you have him over if you did. My situation is fine in that regard, he stays over in mine most weekends.
    Self Employment OP

You work hard but your the boss

You can choose where your based

How much you make is up to you

A job you hate isn't a life sentence. Don't get too down.

That is my goal. I want to own a B&B on the Wild Atlantic Way one day. It'll be years before I get there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Beyondgone wrote: »
    I think jobs are sh1t. I had loads, I hated them all, so I hired myself. I prefer it that way. I get on ok with the Boss. There's downsides too, but that's life.
    Broken-hearted needs to tell the Mammy to feck off out of her life, into the kitchen. Otherwise she's going to wake up some day with regrets.

If Broken hearted said that to her mother. She'd probably end up on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Christ. The commute on a B&B is nice but the weekends are non existant.

Can you tell us if you can work from home or where abouts you are commuting from and to? Even in general terms. I mean Dublin is bad but that's extraordinary.

Christ. The commute on a B&B is nice but the weekends are non existant.

Can you tell us if you can work from home or where abouts you are commuting from and to? Even in general terms. I mean Dublin is bad but that's extraordinary.

No option to work from home at all, my job is lab based and I travel from west Dublin to very south Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yeah commute seems ridiculous. Change jobs. No job worth that travelling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Working on that. Although apparently it's not good to hop from one job to another. You have to stay in jobs you hate for years just so it doesn't look bad on your CV. **** that though, I couldn't do it.

Not nessecarily@ I mean. if you had a lot of them, then yes - but one or two? Just tell the new potential employer that you found the job uninspiring and are looking for something with a bit more life to it - hence you applied for this one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No option to work from home at all, my job is lab based and I travel from west Dublin to very south Dublin.

And it takes you 2 to 2.5 hours each way??

Sort out your travelling arrangements. That's a ridiculous time for that journey.

If Broken hearted said that to her mother. She'd probably end up on the street.

Doubtful. The mammy probably needs her more than she needs the mammy. I've a mammy like that. I told her early on to jog on. Things improved rapidly.

Did you tell your mam how upset you are about it? She probably would have let you have him over if you did. My situation is fine in that regard, he stays over in mine most weekends.

That is my goal. I want to own a B&B on the Wild Atlantic Way one day. It'll be years before I get there though.

And can if you work hard enough. A very realistic aim.

And it takes you 2 to 2.5 hours each way??

Sort out your travelling arrangements. That's a ridiculous time for that journey.

Working on getting a car. It won't leave me with much money but at least I can look for better paid jobs that aren't within reach of public transport if needs be. If I had a car, it would cut my commute by a fair amount

Beyondgone wrote: »

God. The woman is nuts. She was mouthing on at me about respect. Jesus Christ. I'm doing my bit. Going out the door to work, to bring in a wage that is **** and paying my way at home. I'm sorry there was a recession, my pay is ****e, the rental accommodation is nil. What more does she want from me.

Can't wait for the day she is old and frail, if I'm still around.

To anyone who thinks the commute is mad sadly its not. Try getting from the major population centres of Clondalkin Tallaght or Lucan to major employment centers in Sandyford or Dublin 15 on public transport and your looking at 4 hours.

Appalling planning means thousands do this every day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Buy a bicycle. It is possible to cycle between any 2 points in county Dublin within 45 minutes. I had crap jobs and gave them all up. Now self employed but my time seems even shorter.

At this stage, I think I would consider prostitution. Any idea, would a fat Irish woman be employable in Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AS a culchie, you have to be a culchie if the commute is 2.5 hours, the big smoke will seem daunting. It's not, working class Irish people in Dublin are fecking sound, find yourself a decent gaffe in Artane or somewhere like that. As a female or gay person (boyfriend reference) you'll find accommodation easier than heterosexual males. Frankly some of the gay friendly house shares are amazing. Get yourself up to Dublin, work hard and find something you like doing. That or take up farming closer to home.

• Advertisement

God. The woman is nuts. She was mouthing on at me about respect. Jesus Christ. I'm doing my bit. Going out the door to work, to bring in a wage that is **** and paying my way at home. I'm sorry there was a recession, my pay is ****e, the rental accommodation is nil. What more does she want from me.

Can't wait for the day she is old and frail, if I'm still around.

People will proffer highly rational, sensible advice, but if yours is like mine, you'd be peeing in the wind. "Rational" never comes into it. "Feck off" strongly said is all that ever works. That and not caring what the reply is. It'll be negative anyway.

Advertisement