Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If there are such open borders at Canada, why aren't more people making a dash for it?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ziedth wrote: »

I can't see what Serena got out of betraying Fred. An hour visit? Doesn't seem very believable. Maybe it'll explain more in the next episode.

Knowing Serena, she's something else up her sleeve.
    If there are such open borders at Canada, why aren't more people making a dash for it?

Issue is getting to the border without being caught by someone in Gilead, not crossing the border itself.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

With the latest episode, why do I get the feeling
    June should not have lied to Commander Lawrence. He did flip his lid at one of the Marthas lying to him and not the activities in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Entrances to cities are heavily guarded. Moira had to dress as a guard to get out of boston but then she got across to canada easily

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭md23040

OMG Kate Bush’s soundtrack, Cloudbusting, at the end of episode 11 was so surreal and took the cinematography to a whole new level. What a brilliant song that fitted that the 5 minute film sequence perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Slydice wrote: »
    Right, see that look? Canada is fooked!
    Just trying to figure out if he'll nuke em or just go land war!
    Gotta be land war. He's gonna want those extra slaves.

From previous episodes it seems there's an international coalition already in Canada including the Americans in exile so probably won't be easy for Gilead if they did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

md23040 wrote: »
    OMG Kate Bush’s soundtrack, Cloudbusting, at the end of episode 11 was so surreal and took the cinematography to a whole new level. What a brilliant song that fitted that the 5 minute film sequence perfectly.

It was an awful choice for the final sequence and didn't fit the action in anyway. It's not even possible to juxtapose it with what's going on on the screen in any meaningful way. It smacked of the writers trying too hard to appear 'cool'. They clearly couldn't be bothered to find out who the song is about because if they had, they wouldn't have chosen it to play over a scence depicting the disposal of the remains of a mass murdering, raping, war criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It was an awful choice for the final sequence and didn't fit the action in anyway. It's not even possible to juxtapose it with what's going on on the screen in any meaningful way. It smacked of the writers trying too hard to appear 'cool'. They clearly couldn't be bothered to find out who the song is about because if they had, they wouldn't have chosen it to play over a scence depicting the disposal of the remains of a mass murdering, raping, war criminal.

Agreed. Lots of the music choices in this series (especially episode endings) have jarred.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭md23040

They clearly couldn't be bothered to find out who the song is about because if they had, they wouldn't have chosen it to play over a scence depicting the disposal of the remains of a mass murdering, raping, war criminal.

Ive heard it all on boards.ie now. In placing music to match any film sequence, in your eyes the song narrative must in someway have some sort of match to the film narrative and not be used for any atmospheric purposes alone. The level of critique has got absurd. I can understand you not liking the song etc, that’s subjective, but this is downright laughable.

There is a segue way imo (subjective) between the song and film script, with an arrest and helplessness of a situation portrayed in the songs lyrics, but there’s me giving credence to this pedantic logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I watched one episode of the latest season and just gave up on the show. Half the episodes are in slow motion and the other half is close ups of June’s face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,421 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was an absolutely cracking season finale.

The final scene was stunning imagery.

The only negative is that
    June is still in Gilead and alive.

That closing song was seriously haunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I think that’s a matter of opinion. I thought it was a superb choice despite the inspiration for the song itself.

How do all the marthas and children manage to leave their houses without the commander and wife noticing they are all gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

wakka12 wrote: »
    How do all the marthas and children manage to leave their houses without the commander and wife noticing they are all gone?
    one Martha indicated that she killed her household.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Wow, that was an amazing finale. Almost makes up for all the mediocre disjointed filler this season.
    But how did they actually get on to the plane?! Not even hidden? Who was the pilot and what was the plane's purpose meant to be? Maybe I somehow missed all that explanation in episode 12?!

The kids getting off the plane, that young girl being reunited with her dad... it was very emotional! Yes it was extremely convenient that all of the key characters just happened to be in the airport when the plane arrived, in the form of volunteers, but I was more than willing this time to suspend my disbelief, the payoff was worth it. We just need more actual storylines that move things forward in season 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

good episode but the ending sort of ruined it for me. It sort of went back to the status quo. June was seriously annoying this epiosde.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Brilliant episode, I cried my eyes out.
    June should be toast after that though, no amount of plot armour can save her or the other handmaids/Martha’s from the wrath of Gilead for that transgression.
    It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out in the next season.

Also delighted that Serena got her comeuppance!

good episode but the ending sort of ruined it for me. It sort of went back to the status quo. June was seriously annoying this epiosde.

Yeh I really couldnt stand her either..was just waiting for her to be killed. God ,always giving out guff to commander lawrence' this world YOU built' 'IM in charge now'..like what? he doesnt seem like that bad a guy, clearly feels bad about having his wife suffer this world, give it a break like, hes being pretty sound to you really

A lot of the dialogue from june in this episode just seemed off and contrived. Though I really enjoyed this episode! Felt on par with episodes from season one. Made me tear up when Rita and Ofglen reunited and Rita's reflex is to greet with a religous saying, then they hugged and started crying and she just says 'hi' when she realises shes in a safe place, really sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Portishead's Only You inclusion in the Jezebels scene in episode 11 was inspired. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I only discovered this show about 2 weeks ago and have watched the 36 episodes are the rate of about 2/3 per evening. Have to admit that June is kinda annoying me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I am
    so happy that Rita is free, one of my favourites

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I watched the 2nd last episode tonight on RTE.
    I don't get why the Waterford's Marta was happy they were caught?
    She seemed fond of Serena.
    Also, where is she relocated to now?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This show annoys me more and more with every episode. No matter how many chances June has to leave she always ends up either deciding not to or theres some convoluted reason.
    They got to the plane last night and theres 1 guard with a gun, she also has a gun yet they throw stones at him instead. June could have just shot him in the head and everyone got on the plane but nope...[/spolier]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Axwell wrote: »
    They got to the plane last night and theres 1 guard with a gun, she also has a gun yet they throw stones at him instead. June could have just shot him in the head and everyone got on the plane but nope...[/spolier]

Ah, no! You spolied it for me! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Axwell wrote: »
    This show annoys me more and more with every episode. No matter how many chances June has to leave she always ends up either deciding not to or theres some convoluted reason.

They throw fake stones. I'm sure I heard it squeak when she picked it up.
    + Was it meant to be a Israel/Palestine reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I watched the second last one on RTE
    I have watched from day one , never missed an episode , rooted for June and the Handmaids .
    Last night I hated June , her leaving Elenor to die was just horrible . June is all about June now and she a annoys me with every face and every move she makes . I will watch next week to see if they hang Fred from the nearest tree and see if Serena gets her commupance
    I am now more concerned for the Marthas than I am for June and I don’t honestly care if she gets out .

I have grown fond of Moira and Luke went up in my estimation when he decked Fred . I would love next series to be about them and Emily and more who escaped and how they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I watched the second last one on RTE
    I have watched from day one , never missed an episode , rooted for June and the Handmaids .
    Last night I hated June , her leaving Elenor to die was just horrible . June is all about June now and she a annoys me with every face and every move she makes . I will watch next week to see if they hang Fred from the nearest tree and see if Serena gets her commupance
    I am now more concerned for the Marthas than I am for June and I don’t honestly care if she gets out .

I have grown fond of Moira and Luke went up in my estimation when he decked Fred . I would love next series to be about them and Emily and more who escaped and how they are

Did June not have to make a tough call though?, in that Elenor was too much of a liability to the purpose of the mission to save all of the other lives? She's basically adopted the mindset of a paramilitary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seanachai wrote: »
    Did June not have to make a tough call though?, in that Elenor was too much of a liability to the purpose of the mission to save all of the other lives? She's basically adopted the mindset of a paramilitary.

Yes , I agree it was a tough call but just her attitude now is bugging me . She doesn’t care who is her fallguy anymore .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes , I agree it was a tough call but just her attitude now is bugging me . She doesn’t care who is her fallguy anymore .

I never liked June from the start when she was unapologetically f*cking someone else’s husband.

• Advertisement

I watched the 2nd last episode tonight on RTE.
    I don't get why the Waterford's Marta was happy they were caught?
    She seemed fond of Serena.
    Also, where is she relocated to now?

She was just playing up to be on Mrs Waterfords good side to save herself, who could possibly like Mrs Waterford knowing the things shes capable of doing

Advertisement