Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

For me I completely went off June after she got that entire family hung just on the offchance she might get to see her daughter, not even free her or anything

And she didnt seem to feel any sense of responsibility or remorse or grief, just anger towards that clearly mentally disturbed handmaid. Found it very hard to have any respect for her character since

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They really should have had that be the end of June (though I agree with the poster who said there was no need for her to sacrifice herself - she was armed). No doubt we'll see some contrived BS next season that will leave her back in Commander Lawrence's house (with him providing an alibi for her perhaps?) before she's moved on to another household and everything is set back to the way it was before :rolleyes:.

A much more realistic story path would see her and the other handmaids link up with the resistance movement Mayday and operate as part of some paramilitary / resistance force with a focus on trying to free more children but I can't see the writers room having the intelligence to do that, or to handle it in any realistic fashion i.e. them being pawns used to distract guards in their handmaidens uniforms instead of the heroes in every mission...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Sleepy wrote: »
    They really should have had that be the end of June (though I agree with the poster who said there was no need for her to sacrifice herself - she was armed). No doubt we'll see some contrived BS next season that will leave her back in Commander Lawrence's house (with him providing an alibi for her perhaps?) before she's moved on to another household and everything is set back to the way it was before :rolleyes:.
    She definitely has to go to hospital now, and while she's there, they'll find out she's pregnant. That's the only way she can escape death at this point.

...So, maybe you're right. But I don't think everything can just go back to "normal" now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

So I've just bingewatched S3 eps 1-12 over the past week. Concur with others who say that June should have been on the wall at least 50 times over this season - the most jarring example of this for me being when Frances, the McKenzies Martha, was hung after OfMatthew/Natalie grassed on June and her, but how on earth did June escape the same fate?? What did Natalie say that implicated Frances but not June?? And how come Frances herself didn't implicate June when arrested?

The plot armour is thick with this one. And the extreme close-ups of Junes' face! Oy.

Having said that, I do enjoy the series. The fact that it's not a million miles removed from reality in some parts of the world makes it even more disconcerting to watch at times. S1 especially, when the whole concept of Gilead was new to viewers, had me watching through my fingers at times. I think the most shocking part of S3 were the handmaids with the rings through their lips in DC.

Side note, I wonder if Aunt Lydia will 'go rogue' in S4 and start helping handmaids escape or get their own children out of Gilead. She has been shown to care about them and seemed genuinely shocked at the way the handmaids in DC were treated/silenced. Maybe this is not what she signed up for?.... who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

Hi - watching on rte so final episode is next week - where are you all seeing the finale ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

It is stupid now that June survived all of that and is still there they need to put her on the wall in the first episode next year and kill her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I roll my eyes too much watching this show.
    So many annoying aspects.
    Would love next season to be the last, if not I don't think I can see it through til the end.
    I wanted to continue liking it, but it's not up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyone want to debate what June's motivation was to let Eleanor die?
    Was it solely selfish, because Eleanor was a liability and could have blabbed and got them all killed?
    Or..
    Was it a mercy killing, in that June let her die to end Eleanor's suffering knowing she could not get the medicines she needed.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Was it solely selfish, because Eleanor was a liability and could have blabbed and got them all killed?
    Or..
    Was it a mercy killing, in that June let her die to end Eleanor's suffering knowing she could not get the medicines she needed.

But wasn’t the point of getting Elenor out to get her medication in Canada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Or..

I felt it was the latter, but then her other actions in recent episodes make me question it more too.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Or..

But wasn’t the point of getting Elenor out to get her medication in Canada ?
    OK, great point. Had forgotten that.

OK, great point. Had forgotten that.

In my opinion June let Elenor die because she feared if Elenor lived and needed hospitalisation it would scupper Junes schedule .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Or..

I thought there was mercy in letting Eleanor die. But it takes a cold heart to let some one die.

Here's a radical thought.
    Surely, now that Joseph is a widow, there's no place for June in his household.
    Since, Joseph is quite high ranked in Gilead, could he promote June to a wife?
    How do single men rank in Gilead?
    We see that a wife is in trouble without a commander husband, is it similar demotion for a single man?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well Nick is a widower and he's still doing well for himself so I imagine it's not an issue from that point of view.

I can't see June getting promoted though. I imagine a wife has to be pious and devout. Whereas handmaids are "fallen women" who only get away with not being sent to the colonies because of their utility.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Are they all fallen women? What did june do to make her a fallen woman?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are they all fallen women? What did june do to make her a fallen woman?

She had an affair with a married man, then married him herself. Second marriages weren't seen as valid by Gilead and they were separated at the beginning. (It's a bit more obvious in the book.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In my opinion June let Elenor die because she feared if Elenor lived and needed hospitalisation it would scupper Junes schedule .

The opposite could also be true imo. With Elenor dead - Commander Lawrence now had no direct reason to help June (he was to provide the lorries to get the children plus Elenor out). I know that got scuttled but at least with Elenor alive June had some hope of leverage to provide assistance with transport of the children ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hi - watching on rte so final episode is next week - where are you all seeing the finale ???

Other non traditional means.

gozunda wrote: »
    The opposite could also be true imo. With Elenor dead - Commander Lawrence now had no direct reason to help June (he was to provide the lorries to get the children plus Elenor out). I know that got scuttled but at least with Elenor alive June had some hope of leverage to provide assistance with transport of the children ....

Thats true too .Also when Elenor wanted to rescue the six children and started to leave the house it rattled June .It could be that she didnt trust Elenor anymore and thought she could be a liability .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Or..

I'd agree with others who said it was probably a combination of both. Eleanor seemed to be as trapped in Gilead as the Handmaids, and June could see that and genuinely felt compassion for her. However, her illness could have easily compromised the whole mission, she almost revealed the plan to the two wives who came to the house to pray for Winslow, and then again when she excitedly tried to leave the house to find more children to rescue. Had she not been physically stopped from leaving, everyone involved in the plan would have been on the wall within hours and June knew that. We could see June's dilemma when she found her OD'd in her room - she went to look for help, then stopped when she realised that letting Eleanor go could be the best thing for all concerned, including Eleanor. She farewelled her in a caring fashion at her bedside. Her tears afterwards when talking to Lawrence were genuine. She's become a badass bitch, but not devoid of feeling for someone as troubled as Eleanor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

To throw in my 2 cent I dont think for one second that it was "Mercy" they pretty much spelled it out in the previous scene when Mrs Lawrence started to let the cat out of the bag. I don't see anything in the scene that it was anything but for getting the kids out.

I could well be wrong of course but if it was the case that is what they were going for they left it very open to interpretation.

Anyway, I enjoyed the finale and I have been as annoyed as anyone about June's Plot armour but I have gone beyond complaining about it now at this stage.

I didn't mind the so much all the major characters being at the plane but the little girl bumping into (presumably) her dad was a bit cringe and took me out of the scene.

Fred throwing Sarina under the bus was good. I thought it would have maybe been better if they pulled her immunity because she was secretly doing his work while he was unconscious instead of the Nick Storyline. Like all she would have to do is keep her cool and dent the whole thing and what could be done? Not a single shred of evidence that she got Nick to Rape June.

A fairly average season at best that gradually improved with each of the last 3 episodes.

ziedth wrote: »
    To throw in my 2 cent I dont think for one second that it was "Mercy" they pretty much spelled it out in the previous scene when Mrs Lawrence started to let the cat out of the bag. I don't see anything in the scene that it was anything but for getting the kids out.

I could well be wrong of course but if it was the case that is what they were going for they left it very open to interpretation.

Anyway, I enjoyed the finale and I have been as annoyed as anyone about June's Plot armour but I have gone beyond complaining about it now at this stage.

I didn't mind the so much all the major characters being at the plane but the little girl bumping into (presumably) her dad was a bit cringe and took me out of the scene.

Fred throwing Sarina under the bus was good. I thought it would have maybe been better if they pulled her immunity because she was secretly doing his work while he was unconscious instead of the Nick Storyline. Like all she would have to do is keep her cool and dent the whole thing and what could be done? Not a single shred of evidence that she got Nick to Rape June.

A fairly average season at best that gradually improved with each of the last 3 episodes.

Baby Nicole?? June is a married woman with her own child so the fact that she didnt want to have the baby could easily be proven. Mr Waterford could also prove he is infertile so that would mean another man outside the of the religious ritual was the one who impregnated her. I know this doesnt necessarily prove Mrs Wateford instigated the supposed rape , Nick may have raped her regardless of Mrs Watefords input ,but the fact that she claimed the offspring and is Nicks commander (I guess?)would mean it is likely she did.By that stage there is a pretty strong evidence in favour of the accusation that Mrs Waterford forced the rape of June, especially given her history of what she is capable of. Im sure she could have gotten away with it but I dont think its that difficult to suspend your disbelief in this instance.

But yeh what she did while Mr Waterford was in a coma would be a more convincing way of convicting her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

wakka12 wrote: »
    Baby Nicole?? June is a married woman with her own child so the fact that she didnt want to have the baby could easily be proven. Mr Waterford could also prove he is infertile so that would mean another man outside the of the religious ritual was the one who impregnated her. By that stage there is a pretty strong evidence in favour of the accusation that Mrs Waterford forced the rape of June, especially given her history of what she is capable of. Im sure she could have gotten away with it but I dont think its that difficult to suspend your disbelief in this instance.
    It has already been established in Canada that Nick is Nicole's father. June told the Swiss that herself. The rape refers to the fact that Serena essentially ordered them to have sext to conceive a child together . There is no evidence for this, though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It has already been established in Canada that Nick is Nicole's father. June told the Swiss that herself. The rape refers to the fact that Serena essentially ordered them to have sext to conceive a child together . There is no evidence for this, though.

Exactly, thank you. Didn't put my point across particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My first thought when Mr. "I so want to bang Serena" came out with the rape accusation, was that he was referring to the time Fred and Serena tried to induce Nichole's birth "the natural way".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Stark wrote: »
    My first thought when Mr. "I so want to bang Serena" came out with the rape accusation, was that he was referring to the time Fred and Serena tried to induce Nichole's birth "the natural way".

Mine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I enjoyed the finale of season 3 very much and I was one who never doubted this great series. The finale would be up there as one of the best episodes of all 3 seasons. Episode 11 was wonderful too and Winslow got exactly what he deserved. Roll on season 4 and The Testaments.

I get what you're saying Late Late but really the credibility in that episode is farcical.
    50 odd kids can disappear for hours, up to midnight and there's no big security alert.
    Only the one who's Marta freaked out was reported it would seem.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying Late Late but really the credibility in that episode is farcical.
    50 odd kids can disappear for hours, up to midnight and there's no big security alert.
    Only the one who's Marta freaked out was reported it would seem.

How was there only one Guardian at the plane? It makes no sense. Even the supermarkets have more security. In broad daylight. With no opportunities to escape.

Advertisement