Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They say that era define TV. Of course, The Handmaid's Tale is MEANT to be misery TV or Holocaust TV or whatever you care to call it. Indeed, it is not alone as other TV shows like Chernobyl have also shown. In a world DEVOID of positive news, negativity has taken hold.

John Bolton taking over America in April 2018 and steering America towards, well, Gilead (look at those abortion laws in some states of note coupled with the anti-Iran drivel: if a real war was to come and break America, Bolton's regime would be very picky about who gets protected and who doesn't). Then, you have Brexit. Then, you have Ebola in the Congo. Then, you have terrorist attacks, civil wars, messy revolutions, etc. in places from Ukraine to Syria to Sudan. Modern music is mostly gone to the dogs too. Unless one is interested in sport, there is nothing cheery is there?

Sure, there were other times when ALL the above was going on too. But positive news came too such as the moon landings. World leaders of the time were also able to present themselves better on the world stage (even if they were not all that much better than Bolton and the likes in reality). But culture was better then: musically, they had Elvis and the Beatles.

Art mimics despairing times. If the cold war was coming to a head in the late 1970s until around the mid 1980s, coupled with the rise of the religious right in the US who often spoke about being tougher on the USSR, then the seeds of the next chaotic world events were also sown: chaos in the Middle East with the Lebanon war, the Iran-Iraq war and the Afghan wars. No wonder, the original Mad Max series and the book version of The Handmaid's Tale thrived in that era! Dystopian fiction is ALWAYS the comfort in unhappy, uninspired times like then and now.

The fact that it's miserable and meant to be miserable doesn't make it good though? People are miserable enough as you point out, do you think people have patience to have that compounded and stick with a show that makes them feel worse.

Also, misery aside (intentional or otherwise), its become boring sh¡te devoid of any direction and any ideas other than 'ooooo this worked two years ago, let's do it again'.

People are getting sick of it and the poor writing and if it keeps on its course, it'll be cancelled maybe not now or next year but soon enough. And good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Intentionally or not the writers are starting to make me lose sympathy for June, which considering what they've put her through is some achievement. She's getting people killed just so she can see her kid, not even with the intention of grabbing her and escaping, just to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The fact that it's miserable and meant to be miserable doesn't make it good though? People are miserable enough as you point out, do you think people have patience to have that compounded and stick with a show that makes them feel worse.

Also, misery aside (intentional or otherwise), its become boring sh¡te devoid of any direction and any ideas other than 'ooooo this worked two years ago, let's do it again'.

People are getting sick of it and the poor writing and if it keeps on its course, it'll be cancelled maybe not now or next year but soon enough. And good riddance.

Well if you can watch Pink Floyd's The Wall, Handmaids Tale would be like a Disney drama. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

People wallow in misery and violence and watch worlds they would not like to live in reality. Why? I am not sure. Is it that they know things are bad but could be worse? During the recession years, most people were addicted to Breaking Bad and/or Love/Hate. Everyone's favourite drug dealers were idolised by people who never took cocaine or crystal meth in their lives and who would never welcome a Walt White or a Nidge Delaney into their lives in a fit! But watching these 2 very good dramas and the misery their lead characters inflicted was much better fun than watching Pat Kenny and 'Bank TV'!

I first watched dystopian films (namely the original Mad Max trilogy and the film version of The Handmaid's Tale) during a period when the cold war was over and the post-9/11 era was still in the future. I also read Margaret Atwood's original book of Handmaid's as well then. I was fascinated by the worlds depicted in them but thought of them the same as I did of the worlds in the Star Wars films I watched alongside them: fictional.

Then, creeping into the news was the increasing failed states of the world: Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. The chaos of Mad Max and the misogyny of Handmaid's was laid out there in front of me to see. 9/11, the Taliban/Al Qaeda, the Iraq war and the ISIS/Syria situations only added to this and low and behold, Mad Max Fury Road came along once again blurring the lines between fact and fictional depictions of chaos and tyranny.

The current series The Handmaid's Tale eerily reflects reality. Like the series is caught in a rut of negativity where no-one in Gilead really respects the monster they ALL helped create or use when needed (yes, even June: look at her adoption of Gilead tactics on Ofmatthew) but do not know what to do with it. Same with Donald Trump: like Joseph Lawrence, Trump helped create the mess he now finds himself in. A moderate pro-Obama type caught in a sea of Gileadism, Trump does not know how to take down John Bolton's powerful dystopia and does not know how to get back to where America was prior to 9th April 2018. I feel eerily Handmaid's will only change when Bolton and his regime is gone. Who is going to act first: Trump or Lawrence? Even the likes of Bolton would regret a descent into a Gilead-type scenario if it came to pass but when people decide to commit to an ideology they THINK they can control, they often find out they are locked into a hurricane they no longer can. Back to Handmaid's: I don't think one character actually likes Gilead and their dream turned into a nightmare. Ask Trump what he REALLY thinks of the current mess he was partly responsible for, he'd probably agree it was a mess (and blame someone else!!!). And so forth in Handmaid's: Fred and co know it is a mess but like Trump, they want to blame others for its creation and not take responsibility themselves.

During 'better times', people may watch drug dealer dramas or things like Game of Thrones. That said and done, addiction to misery and violence continues. And when this toned down in drama, you get Striking Out and all that fare.

First off, as you know I genuinely enjoy season 3. That said and done, it may be time to get back on-book and delve into some of the content the series has yet to touch. Maybe the Children of Ham part is too controversial but what about the last part of the book where the conference mentions things that happened? Commander Judd and his terrorist plots to take over for example. And the statement that Commander Fred met his end due to him being considered too moderate and harbouring a rebel in his household. Maybe this is why the series in the end may be better off called Gilead.

• Advertisement

My favourite line
    'Well, at least it wasn't you'
    A nice comeback for Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well a whole hour of Junes face humming a song while machines bleeped .Riveting !

They say that era define TV. Of course, The Handmaid's Tale is MEANT to be misery TV or Holocaust TV or whatever you care to call it. Indeed, it is not alone as other TV shows like Chernobyl have also shown. In a world DEVOID of positive news, negativity has taken hold.

John Bolton taking over America in April 2018 and steering America towards, well, Gilead (look at those abortion laws in some states of note coupled with the anti-Iran drivel: if a real war was to come and break America, Bolton's regime would be very picky about who gets protected and who doesn't). Then, you have Brexit. Then, you have Ebola in the Congo. Then, you have terrorist attacks, civil wars, messy revolutions, etc. in places from Ukraine to Syria to Sudan. Modern music is mostly gone to the dogs too. Unless one is interested in sport, there is nothing cheery is there?

Sure, there were other times when ALL the above was going on too. But positive news came too such as the moon landings. World leaders of the time were also able to present themselves better on the world stage (even if they were not all that much better than Bolton and the likes in reality). But culture was better then: musically, they had Elvis and the Beatles.

Art mimics despairing times. If the cold war was coming to a head in the late 1970s until around the mid 1980s, coupled with the rise of the religious right in the US who often spoke about being tougher on the USSR, then the seeds of the next chaotic world events were also sown: chaos in the Middle East with the Lebanon war, the Iran-Iraq war and the Afghan wars. No wonder, the original Mad Max series and the book version of The Handmaid's Tale thrived in that era! Dystopian fiction is ALWAYS the comfort in unhappy, uninspired times like then and now.

Please keep posting, you're infinitely more entertaining than the TV show!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭md23040

When did the writers all start taking stupid tablets. June slashes out at Serena and then tells the doctor she wanted to kill her as well as him, and he just overlooks the whole thing and fixes her hand. This is beyond any incredulity created by Margaret Atwood for this cruel and dystopian world.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,893 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renewed

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Renewed

Unbelievable.

Clearly getting viewers clinging on desperately for it to get better.

If it was judged on quality it would be canned.

Unbelievable.

It is better than many think! and surprised me Thursday! I hate Grey's Anatomy. I hated ER, I hated The Clinic!! Handmaid's went 100% hospital drama and got me watching it!! I DESPISE hospital dramas and the last hospital set episode I watched and liked was Bullet For Crocket Miami Vice which was more excuse for best of MV than real HD but THT episode was the ONLY real HD episode I like. So new highs for this great series. Viva THT.

It is better than many think! and surprised me Thursday! I hate Grey's Anatomy. I hated ER, I hated The Clinic!! Handmaid's went 100% hospital drama and got me watching it!! I DESPISE hospital dramas and the last hospital set episode I watched and liked was Bullet For Crocket Miami Vice which was more excuse for best of MV than real HD but THT episode was the ONLY real HD episode I like. So new highs for this great series. Viva THT.

It's really not. Critically it's being viewed as vastly inferior than it's previous series and feedback across the board is that it's become nonsensical and breaking its own rules.

No point arguing with you though, you're convinced it's a political conspiracy that people don't like it or some whacko theory like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What are you on about.. better than we think. We can make up our own mind about what we think of the show without opinions of others influencing us. I used to love handmaids tale, now I dont, and I dont give the slightest **** about abortion in america tbh or whatever youre trying to link it to

Its better than I think ! I know what I think and it not what you tell me to think .This series is poor and nothing like the first one .This week was an ICU bed in a massive room with a dying girl not supervised by anyone . We saw Junes face over and over and over and over and over .Then she stabbed Serena and nothing happened !! She would have been swinging on the wall within minutes in the first series .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unbelievable.

Quality is just an added bonus. It's all about the money and as long as it does that and holds numbers it'll keep being renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This seems to be more of a defence of your own viewing habits and that's fine. The problem is you then extend that defence to criticising people for not sharing those views and that's really not. People watch shows to be entertained and when it doesn't do that any more they stop watching. Equally there are many shows people never start watching because they don't see its appeal. Handmaid's suffers a whole lot from that modern malaise of stretching very very thin materials out to cover the "vision" of showrunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps those running, and in control of the HT project, see it as a propaganda piece, and only keep it plodding along to stick it to whoever they want to stick it to?

From day 1, anti-Trumpers have been trying to associate THT with the political situation in the US, and the Pro-Trumpers have been continually telling them that their theory is nonsense.

In my opinion, much better programmes than THT have been cancelled in the past.

It's really not. Critically it's being viewed as vastly inferior than it's previous series and feedback across the board is that it's become nonsensical and breaking its own rules.

No point arguing with you though, you're convinced it's a political conspiracy that people don't like it or some whacko theory like that.

Series 1 of THT was and is hard to beat but I still consider series 2 and series 3 good TV. I just don't see all the hate for it, especially since TV these days is 99% comprised of REALLY BAD stuff. Mrs Brown, Love Island, bloody Dragon's Den anyone!!!! I'd rather watch paint dry than any of that REAL cr@p.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    What are you on about.. better than we think. We can make up our own mind about what we think of the show without opinions of others influencing us. I used to love handmaids tale, now I dont, and I dont give the slightest **** about abortion in america tbh or whatever youre trying to link it to

Yes of course we can make up our own mind!! I NEVER said anyone should like THT. I said I LIKE IT and defended it and questioned the hate for it some have. Different matter altogether than telling people to like it. I as said HATE Grey's Anatomy and all Hospital set dramas and was not looking forward to Thursday's episode of THT when I heard it was in a HD type scenario. But I was pleasantly surprised. There are LOADS of people who love THT and the world is a much bigger place than a few posters of Boards.ie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And never linked it to abortion in America. THT is not about that, it is about a broader version and an exaggerated version of a dictatorship that may well exist in America's John Bolton dictatorship. Anyone who does not see the dangers of American imperialism is blind. THT coming to life? No. But a figurehead president running the show for Saudi Arabia and causing wars? And the death penalty there? And so on. Most definitely yes!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its better than I think ! I know what I think and it not what you tell me to think .This series is poor and nothing like the first one .This week was an ICU bed in a massive room with a dying girl not supervised by anyone . We saw Junes face over and over and over and over and over .Then she stabbed Serena and nothing happened !! She would have been swinging on the wall within minutes in the first series .

Number one, I NEVER told anyone how to think. Problem with this site is too many smart alecs take every word literally!! There is such a thing as defence of a show and a difference of opinions. Plenty people I know in the REAL world offsite love the show. Just because I don't go along with the 'herd mentality' of hating season 3 of THT that has hijacked this thread, people criticise me. Not having that cr@p and am more intelligent than the type who 'goes along' with what others say just because others think something is good or bad!!!!!

Serena not having June hung = Trump calling off the Bolton regime's airstrikes on Iran. Isn't the whole bloody point that even the most senior Gileadeans no longer believe in the damn regime!!!!
    is_that_so wrote: »
    This seems to be more of a defence of your own viewing habits and that's fine. The problem is you then extend that defence to criticising people for not sharing those views and that's really not. People watch shows to be entertained and when it doesn't do that any more they stop watching. Equally there are many shows people never start watching because they don't see its appeal. Handmaid's suffers a whole lot from that modern malaise of stretching very very thin materials out to cover the "vision" of showrunners.

I defend my viewing and defend the ODD good show (for my kind of TV: there was a drought between Breaking Bad, etc.) on TV at the moment. In a swamp of reality TV, talent shows, bad British soaps, Ireland's Fittest Family, Operation Transformation, Dragon's Den, etc., I have a point. Sure, THT is not for everyone (no TV show is) but is a welcome change from the norm. The affore mentioned things I mention I don't like are not for everyone either but TV flood us with it and I would NOT have a problem if there was a balance between different shows but there is not. Each to their own!

• Advertisement

Series 1 of THT was and is hard to beat but I still consider series 2 and series 3 good TV. I just don't see all the hate for it, especially since TV these days is 99% comprised of REALLY BAD stuff. Mrs Brown, Love Island, bloody Dragon's Den anyone!!!! I'd rather watch paint dry than any of that REAL cr@p.

Again, you're using awful reference points to further your weak argument. Sure its better than Mrs. Browns Boys. But that's like saying pulling a muscle is better than breaking an arm. It doesn't mean either are good.

It's certainly not better or not even close to contemporary programmes that it should be compared to like Stranger Things, Big Little Lies, Chernobyl, Fleabag, Killing Eve to name a few. And against all of those, it is simply sh¡te.

It has no direction, its breaking its own rules, its illogical, its boring and all it has going for it from a storytelling perspective is how good it used to be.

And better shows than it have been cancelled quicker.

And I'm not saying all this because I'm trolling or trying to crap on anyones parade, it's because I used to love the show and I was invested in it but it's like a lame dog that needs to be put out of its misery before it totally destroys its own legacy. Each to their own and tv tastes are personal but the majority of viewers are growing to hate this show and that's completely justified.

Number one, I NEVER told anyone how to think. Problem with this site is too many smart alecs take every word literally!! There is such a thing as defence of a show and a difference of opinions. Plenty people I know in the REAL world offsite love the show. Just because I don't go along with the 'herd mentality' of hating season 3 of THT that has hijacked this thread, people criticise me. Not having that cr@p and am more intelligent than the type who 'goes along' with what others say just because others think something is good or bad!!!!!

Serena not having June hung = Trump calling off the Bolton regime's airstrikes on Iran. Isn't the whole bloody point that even the most senior Gileadeans no longer believe in the damn regime!!!!

I defend my viewing and defend the ODD good show (for my kind of TV: there was a drought between Breaking Bad, etc.) on TV at the moment. In a swamp of reality TV, talent shows, bad British soaps, Ireland's Fittest Family, Operation Transformation, Dragon's Den, etc., I have a point. Sure, THT is not for everyone (no TV show is) but is a welcome change from the norm. The affore mentioned things I mention I don't like are not for everyone either but TV flood us with it and I would NOT have a problem if there was a balance between different shows but there is not. Each to their own!

Then why not just reply by saying " sorry for wording my post wrong "
    Then posting that " its better than many think " means you are right and many are wrong . Why not write " I think its better than many do "

You are not alone in thinking HT was great .Most of us did and are now disappointed with how series 3 is moving away from the story and showing huge inconsistencies now .

As for the smart alecs , well I wont even bother answering that passive aggressive point

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Has gone downhill badly after 2nd series.

I'm still enjoying myself I just wish they would spend an episode on maybe the Eyes, how they work and how they keep track of people. I know they try to create this austere atmosphere of a fcuked up theological society living in a backward loop in the future but one episode should at least deal with Gilead's technology. I understand peoples detriment with the show, why is June getting this free reign in such a oppressive society. One thing for sure, she seems to know a lot of the most powerful commanders secrets. I do like the fact that this episode dealt with
    Commander Lawrence and the duty of the rape ritual which June said there was basically no way out of as she was medically checked by a Gilead doctor afterward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's always risky when you go away from the original material.

I'm kind of a bit fed up of gurning 'get away with anything' June now. I think I will re-read the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm still enjoying myself I just wish they would spend an episode on maybe the Eyes, how they work and how they keep track of people. I know they try to create this austere atmosphere of a fcuked up theological society living in a backward loop in the future but one episode should at least deal with Gilead's technology. I understand peoples detriment with the show, why is June getting this free reign in such a oppressive society. One thing for sure, she seems to know a lot of the most powerful commanders secrets. I do like the fact that this episode dealt with
    Commander Lawrence and the duty of the rape ritual which June said there was basically no way out of as she was medically checked by a Gilead doctor afterward.
    Re the spoiler..
    Would a turkey baster not do?

To thine own self be true

What makes me laugh is the state of the art ICU and hospital with qualified paediatricians and obstetricians . Yet the Handmaids give birth with only wives and chanting Handmaids in attendance
    The babies are precious and rare so you would imagine they would have qualified midwives and obstetricians in attendance to give them the best chance possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You are aware that there are options for watching TV other than RTE right?

Stark wrote: »
    You are aware that there are options for watching TV other than RTE right?

You are aware that RTE do not have the monopoly on bad reality TV, right! It dominates ALL channels. That's why people flock to the Netflix, Hulu, Now TV.

• Advertisement

You are aware that RTE do not have the monopoly on bad reality TV, right! It dominates ALL channels. That's why people flock to the Netflix, Hulu, Now TV.

Try BBC 4

Advertisement