Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

I was driving this morning and a young lad on his way to school on the bike, took a sudden right turn, just in front of me, without signaling. There was no real danger as the road has significant traffic calming, but the lack of discipline from school kids is a worry.

Same area yesterday (Griffith ave), when I was on the bike, a mother did a full u-turn right in front of me. I had to stop to let her finish it. It looked like she had some condition preventing her from turning her head, so intent was she, to avoid eye contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I got some backpack covers from the RSA a couple of years back if that helps.
    Poster already has one of them, but they were more specifically looking for Staying Alive at 1.5/passing distance "branded" ones, as far as I understood:
    I wrote on the back of my RSA bag cover this morning the words 'Please pass safely' drew an arrow and put 1.5M over it, I've been meaning to get something done up in a printers but never get around to it. Amazingly I didn't have one close pass on my way to work! Will be very interested to see if it works this evening too. Must order a few more of those and do them up properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

plodder wrote: »
    I was driving this morning and a young lad on his way to school on the bike, took a sudden right turn, just in front of me, without signaling. There was no real danger as the road has significant traffic calming, but the lack of discipline from school kids is a worry.

Same area yesterday (Griffith ave), when I was on the bike, a mother did a full u-turn right in front of me. I had to stop to let her finish it. It looked like she had some condition preventing her from turning her head, so intent was she, to avoid eye contact :)

A shout of CAREFUL NOW!! may help!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On an opposite note, coming through Shankhill this morning, I seen a school kid on a green MTB with great road awareness. Coming over the bump on one side of the town he recognised that cars have a habit of overtaking without clear sight ahead, so he hoped up on the path until he crested the hill and then hopped down again when the road was clear.

Sensible cycling born out of intelligence rather than rules. I dare say, if all road users had as much observation and self preservation as this kid, we would all be grand. He also stopped at lights and gave way at junctions, so he wasn't just doing what he thought was safe, he was for the most part, except where he felt it unsafe from experience (and probably right), although as a kidm, he would probably recieve more leeway than an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cycling on the Tramore road today , coming up to a roundabout, take the turn right/straight ahead lane , car tries to overtake me within 5 meters of the yield point, when she cannot, beeps me out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNurNrNMEo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Chiparus wrote: »
    Cycling on the Tramore road today , coming up to a roundabout, take the turn right/straight ahead lane , car tries to overtake me within 5 meters of the yield point, when she cannot, beeps me out of it.

Hate to be that guy, and I can't see the road layout ahead or if you signaled but you looked to be in the turn left lane.

Can you move to the right earlier and take the lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Chiparus wrote: »

you're in the wrong lane, you need to be more to your right.

De Bhál wrote: »

You think the driver would be less beepy if the person on a bike was taking the lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

De Bhál wrote: »

When I was being taught to cycle, back in the day, I was told to position myself just to the left of the line (when going around the roundabout and there were two lanes on approach). I can't remember the reasoning why there and not in the middle of the lane (or if I even asked why). I wonder if the poster was taught the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coach on the quays this morning, KY registered private reg. I headed up to the advance box at the bridge just before the four courts to turn tight up to Christchurch.

Coach driver had other ideas - he swung around me, breaking a red light and cutting across me to get onto the bridge. Across a pedestrian crossing with a green man. His window was down, so I commended him on his d!ckish driving at the next red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There's something ironic about taking a lecture in road safety from a taxi man. they have zero respect for other road users, especially cyclists.

Is it just foreign taxi men you are tarring with that scatter gun or all taxi men. What about the women driving taxis? Like all road users some are good and some are bad. That statement is as bad as the people who are constantly on the radio saying cyclists have no respect for pedestrians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bet he appreciated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

The video YOU (tramore road )put up shows you taking the left lane and then switching to the right hand one. If anyone did that to me, car truck, motorbike or push bike I'd beep at ye.

The fault is completely on you and not the car.

Coach on the quays this morning, KY registered private reg. I headed up to the advance box at the bridge just before the four courts to turn tight up to Christchurch.

Coach driver had other ideas - he swung around me, breaking a red light and cutting across me to get onto the bridge. Across a pedestrian crossing with a green man. His window was down, so I commended him on his d!ckish driving at the next red.

Last time I went through that junction (cycling home from Heuston Station, mid-afternoon) a car did the same thing: I signalled right and was making a classic right turn when some diccardos in a boy car swung around inside and directly in front of me. I shouted "FOOL!" before I could stop myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Arrogant, ignorant pricks a lot of them are. Sure aren't a third of them said to be convicted criminals?

Is that cyclists your moronic and uninformed statement is about, it certainly doesn't apply to all taxi men?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Chuchote wrote: »
    You think the driver would be less beepy if the person on a bike was taking the lane?

Hard to know, would only be guesswork.

Based on the video posted it looks like the cyclist was hesitant/late to move into the right lane, and when they did it was not very convincing, partly because the car was up their ass, but that would not have happened if they were looking to move towards the centre line of the road when 2 lanes came into play.

Hard to know, would only be guesswork.

Based on the video posted it looks like the cyclist was hesitant/late to move into the right lane, and when they did it was not very convincing, partly because the car was up their ass, but that would not have happened if they were looking to move towards the centre line of the road when 2 lanes came into play.

What you can't see in the video is if the cyclist was signalling his intentions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What you can't see in the video is if the cyclist was signalling his intentions or not.

Agreed, but that doesn't take away from my observation, and that they should have taken the lane earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter. Yes it's a pain in the ass when you signal and cars continue to overtake, but sticking your hand out doesn't mean you have right of way, especially when changin

Danbo! wrote: »
    Unfortunately it doesn't really matter. Yes it's a pain in the ass when you signal and cars continue to overtake, but sticking your hand out doesn't mean you have right of way, especially when changin

yeah, no I get that. But lets say he was signalling 30 meters before the junction. Car had plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

The video YOU (tramore road )put up shows you taking the left lane and then switching to the right hand one. If anyone did that to me, car truck, motorbike or push bike I'd beep at ye.

The fault is completely on you and not the car.

Maybe you can look at the video again?

The car driver had made up their mind they were going to overtake at all costs and were already over the continuous white line while it was still a single lane.
    arq2wXB.png

Classic case of must overtake

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AlanG wrote: »
    Is it just foreign taxi men you are tarring with that scatter gun or all taxi men. What about the women driving taxis? Like all road users some are good and some are bad. That statement is as bad as the people who are constantly on the radio saying cyclists have no respect for pedestrians.

I agree, but I would also say with some conviction that there is a disproportionate amount of taxi drivers who are reckless, dangerous and just don't care about the ROTR and think they are above the law when compared to all other modes.

Of all the times I've had someone try and lecture me, I'd say three quarters of them are taxi drivers. Maybe it's stress from sitting around all day.

This morning I had one pull in way too early into a lane, only to indicate out of it a bit up the road and then break a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Chuchote wrote: »

yes I do. Car drivers are in the most part are fine once you look back at them and signal your intentions and then take the lane. I've been cycling in Dublin since 2000 and that's my experience. Signal your intentions clearly and then take the lane.

In this case the cyclist was moving into the lane at the wrong time and was leaving the driver in doubt as to what was going on. I doubt (maybe naively) that the driver would try and shoot up on their right if the arm was out.

Of course in saying all that, maybe the arm was out and the driver was an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Coming down D'olier street , had a taxi man pull right across me , no looking , no indicating, no remorse. He would not say sorry for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Out on the roads it becomes necessary to stereotype other road users just so you can try and predict their movements. Regularly you can be surprised and delighted by someone being careful and considerate, but a hell of a lot of the time your negative stereotype prediction will come through with crushing inevitability.

You may already have some stereotypical road users coming to mind already. What do you think when you see any of the following?
    - a 4x4 in an urban environment
    - a hatchback with tinted windows, big exhaust, and fins everywhere
    - a large German saloon car
    - an Aircoach
    - a taxi

There are certain behaviours demonstrated by *some* of the operators of these vehicles that are common enough to be worth assuming *will* happen if you spot any one of them in the wild. When the predicted behaviour doesn't happen, you breathe a sigh of relief and get on with your day. When the predicted behaviour *does* happen you are already two steps ahead.

This morning I stopped behind a taxi a few cars back from a red light at a junction. My lads asked why I had stopped short and I pointed at the taxi. There was no indicator lit up, but I was playing the odds of my stereotype. Sure enough, the lights changed, the taxi swung left without warning or looking, but we were ahead of the game and out of harms way.

I'm not going to say that all taxi drivers are wild-eyed maniacs out on the road. They're not, but I am going to bear certain prejudices in the forefront of my mind when I'm cycling in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Look at this footage from the AA from this morning. Almost 99% sure this person is texting or on their phone, you dont just hit a parked like that if paying attention. Across the road, the white car has to go for the footpath to avoid, with a couple of cyclists behind and pedestrian on the footpath.

This is the type of bull**** selfish inattentive driving that will catch out even the most cautious and law-abiding cyclist.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/869873890960396288

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

On Friday morning i was nearly creamed by a red Bray fi***gan bus on the Annamoe to Laragh road when he overtook me. Honestly don't know how i stayed upright as the head wind was very strong that day and when he went by me the wind effect was huge.I'd say he was half a meter at most from me.I know that road has a bad rep amongst cyclists as been dangerous but this was at about 10am and their was no need for him to come so close to me as it was quite with oncoming traffic.All the buses after him gave me plenty of room.

I tried to catch up with him in Laragh but he went towards Rathdrum just as i got there. Not sure if anyone else has had any bad experience with this company in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Danbo! wrote: »
    Almost 99% sure this person is texting or on their phone...

Id say its a man driving and he caught a glimpse of that lady in pink across the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Fortunately, the driver was not seriously injured.
    Seems a fairly inappropriate response to me. Maybe,

"the pedestrian had a lucky escape"

or

"the gardai are investigating the incident" would be more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

reporting on whether the driver was injured would be a rather significant thing to report on, surely?
    you can see the pedestrian had a lucky escape from the video, but not how the driver fared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement