Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Got my handlebar clipped this morning, pr*ck came out of nowhere, hit both my handlebar and hand and just took off. Certainly woke me up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_dDALBnOc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Danbo! wrote: »
    Got my handlebar clipped this morning, pr*ck came out of nowhere, hit both my handlebar and hand and just took off. Certainly woke me up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_dDALBnOc

Somewhere on the Avian forum there is an incredulous crow giving out about you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He wasn't wearing any hi-vis or helmet either. I call for compulsory hi-vis and helmets for all our avian friends at all times. If it saves one crow....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

There all the same them crows! Road tax, a license and indicators! That'll teach'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

And yet again on the dreaded Templeogue Road another close pass... I wouldn't mind but I purposely make a point to cycle close to the right hand side of the cycle lane to to try avoid any close overtakes here. The bloody idiot went for the overtake at the narrowest part of the road here and also when there was oncoming traffic.

From now on I'll be just taking the lane, sick of this crap...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Is your last name really Crowley?

If this turns out to be a pattern, I doubt Buffalo will be getting away with a near miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

LpPepper wrote: »
    And yet again on the dreaded Templeogue Road another close pass... I wouldn't mind but I purposely make a point to cycle close to the right hand side of the cycle lane to to try avoid any close overtakes here. The bloody idiot went for the overtake at the narrowest part of the road here and also when there was oncoming traffic.

Take the lane there. It's far too narrow for passing so don't let people driving think that they can squeeze past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

and literally all the motorist had to do was wait 5 seconds until the road widened :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I'm always wary of anyone driving an older reg car as their driving is normally not up to scratch.

Of course he/she didn't manage to stop behind the white line at the lights. Must have come as a surprise or something. :rolleyes:

and literally all the motorist had to do was wait 5 seconds until the road widened :mad:

More annoying is the fact that they done that and then ended up at the red light literally a few seconds before me, the mind boggles! Some people just can't seem to think more than 10metres ahead at any given moment.

• Advertisement

More annoying is the fact that they done that and then ended up at the red light literally a few seconds before me, the mind boggles! Some people just can't seem to think more than 10metres ahead at any given moment.

ah, i hadn't watched the video beyond the hair's breadth overtake! it's similar to when you're rolling up to a line of traffic stopped at a red light and a car overtakes for no reason other than to get to the queue first :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I've never cycled that route but drive it on a regular basis, and I've seen a number of close calls/ridiculous driving like the above. What's the point in having a cycle lane marked on that road? Makes no sense to me. I know they used to have the cycle path off the road and part of the footpath but that presumably wasn't working?

looie wrote: »
    I've never cycled that route but drive it on a regular basis, and I've seen a number of close calls/ridiculous driving like the above. What's the point in having a cycle lane marked on that road? Makes no sense to me. I know they used to have the cycle path off the road and part of the footpath but that presumably wasn't working?

The off road cycle path was in absolute tatters. The red paint had chipped away to leave a horrible surface. That and also the fact that there was usually a car parked on it at some point made it not very good at all.

I rarely used it and stayed on the road usually (before the painted cycle lane) and experienced less close passes than I do on that road now...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

looie wrote: »

Yeah i think segregated lanes were upsetting the flow when cycling. Its quicker for the cyclists to be on the road especially at roundabout and right hand turns. There should be "rumble strips" or a mini kerb type thing separating the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Had one this morning coming into a major crossroads. Cycling with my 7 year old.

Layout is a single lane through a wide junction, straight on and left are the only options for traffic from both directions, so the only "danger" is cars coming from behind us and turning left across us.

Sure enough, some @sshole speeds up to overtake, then starts to take the left turn, indicating.

I had taken a position behind my son, right on the outside of the cycling lane to try to demonstrate to drivers that we're going straight. I let an almighty roar out of me because I didn't think she was going to stop. She had started to make the turn. Got a serious fright. When we had both stopped she seemed to be starting again to take the turn. She didn't roll down the window, just shouted from within the car "what's the problem, I stopped". Fairly sure she would not have stopped without the roar. Even if she had, she should not have overtaken us to turn left, she only came abreast as we were entering the junction.

You'd think that when drivers see young kids on a bike that people in cars would do absolutely everything they could possibly do to ensure their safety, it beggars belief some drivers' stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Take the lane there. It's far too narrow for passing so don't let people driving think that they can squeeze past.

I'd also be inclined to be keeping any eye over the shoulder and aim to pre-empt close passes with appropriate hand signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had one this morning coming into a major crossroads. Cycling with my 7 year old.

Layout is a single lane through a wide junction, straight on and left are the only options for traffic from both directions, so the only "danger" is cars coming from behind us and turning left across us.

Sure enough, some @sshole speeds up to overtake, then starts to take the left turn, indicating.

I had taken a position behind my son, right on the outside of the cycling lane to try to demonstrate to drivers that we're going straight. I let an almighty roar out of me because I didn't think she was going to stop. She had started to make the turn. Got a serious fright. When we had both stopped she seemed to be starting again to take the turn. She didn't roll down the window, just shouted from within the car "what's the problem, I stopped". Fairly sure she would not have stopped without the roar. Even if she had, she should not have overtaken us to turn left, she only came abreast as we were entering the junction.

You'd think that when drivers see young kids on a bike that people in cars would do absolutely everything they could possibly do to ensure their safety, it beggars belief some drivers' stupidity.

Traffic watch report, if she's endangering a child like that I'd have zero time for her.

I'd also be inclined to be keeping any eye over the shoulder and aim to pre-empt close passes with appropriate hand signals.

agreed - amazing that i had to strongly gesture to another cyclist on stephens green last friday. turning right from the green onto merrion row the guy came way up on my left hand side, front of his wheel forward of my saddle and a few inches between us as we were about to take the turn. really poor cycling and judging by his gear etc he struck me as an experienced cyclist. i looked around again when near the lights maybe 100 metres up the road and he was well back from me so there was literally no benefit to trying to undertake me.

The off road cycle path was in absolute tatters. The red paint had chipped away to leave a horrible surface. That and also the fact that there was usually a car parked on it at some point made it not very good at all.

I rarely used it and stayed on the road usually (before the painted cycle lane) and experienced less close passes than I do on that road now...

Completely agree. It's on my commute too, and I always used the road. Was delighted to see it officially moved to the road, but from day one, cars got closer. I can see why tbh, drivers assume they're in their lane so it's safe, it's purely poor road design. Not sure what could improve it, maybe no line and frequent cycle logos painted on the road like in the states, to indicate a shared lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

My last incident was outside the garage across from the morgue when some Oul codger in a 5 series turned into the garage without indicating and I went over his bonnet , from that day on now take the lane , lethal stretch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Coming downhill today towards a blind right-hand bend, as I begin to turn the loon in the car behind decides now would be a good time to overtake, taking he's car halfway into the other -narrow- lane. Fortunately an oncoming car was a few seconds off otherwise the idiot would've caused a crash, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

More madness yesterday as I was coming down a short, slightly twisty descent.
    I was descending behind a car which had pulled out some way in front of me & hanging back, then suddenly driver behind decides to overtake me so as to move into the small space between me & the car in front. I'm at a complete lost as to why someone would do this, as there was no time or speed gained, I was on the brakes behind the two of them all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Completely agree. It's on my commute too, and I always used the road. Was delighted to see it officially moved to the road, but from day one, cars got closer. I can see why tbh, drivers assume they're in their lane so it's safe, it's purely poor road design. Not sure what could improve it, maybe no line and frequent cycle logos painted on the road like in the states, to indicate a shared lane.

On the way into the village now, from the Spawell, there is a bike lane, and the road markings for cars about 3.5 feet wide.

I don't think anyone was doing their job right that day.

On the way into the village now, from the Spawell, there is a bike lane, and the road markings for cars about 3.5 feet wide.

I don't think anyone was doing their job right that day.

The offroad track wasnt much better tbh. Surface was awful and the fact it moved away from the road before the petrol station made it a nightmare, especially in a car trying to enter the petrol station. You cant use mirrors to check for cyclists, and there's cars and vans parked between road and cycle track, so you kind of half turn in and check while the boot of the car is still swinging out onto the road. Awful planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Saw this on live leak

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1d7_1470628950&comments=1

Mods: Please delete if already posted thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

A double near miss this morning, lady about 10 meters in front of me was alongside a van when the van slowed to allow an oncoming car cut across him without even realizing she was there, car flies across she was literally an inch from disaster... then I come up alongside the still moving van when suddenly he veers in to park on the left, cutting me off and I'm at his passenger window and scream in at him, he stops suddenly, all is ok, I proceed with much angry gesticulating etc etc and proceed... Several hundred meters later the same van pulls in alongside me at a traffic light, nice man actually, apologies etc etc shook my hand, said the wing mirror had been pushed in overnight, couldn't see a thing, no excuse, why I asked him he thought he should be driving without fixing it first, he'll kill someone... much more apoloigies... another daily commute in Dublin city....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

This morning with my two kids coming to school. Lights about 100m ahead are red. I stick the hand out to indicate that we are going to move out and turn right before the light. BMW coming up behind us but he's quite a distance away. Nevertheless I wait for him to ease off the gas to ensure that he has seen us. Not a bit of it. So I move out a bit more and I'm waving my hand right now to signal my imminent intent.

Nope. Nothing. He accelerates alongside and past and then immediately has to brake and stop for the ref light.

The thing is - and this is the extraordinary bit. He actually, literally, didn't see us at all. His peripheral vision did not extent beyond the width of his car and the lane he was in, or the length of his bonnet. He wasn't being belligerent or aggressive or angry. He. Did. Not. See. Us. - Any of the three of us.

I knocked on his window and said as much, and I was actually laughing I was so incredulous. I said "You didn't see us at all did you? You literally didn't see us." He gazed goldfish-mouthed at me as if I was some strange and wonderful alien and I'd just woken him from a reverie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

A double near miss this morning, lady about 10 meters in front of me was alongside a van when the van slowed to allow an oncoming car cut across him without even realizing she was there, car flies across she was literally an inch from disaster... then I come up alongside the still moving van when suddenly he veers in to park on the left, cutting me off and I'm at his passenger window and scream in at him, he stops suddenly, all is ok, I proceed with much angry gesticulating etc etc and proceed... Several hundred meters later the same van pulls in alongside me at a traffic light, nice man actually, apologies etc etc shook my hand, said the wing mirror had been pushed in overnight, couldn't see a thing, no excuse, why I asked him he thought he should be driving without fixing it first, he'll kill someone... much more apoloigies... another daily commute in Dublin city....

Bet that van driver also cycles a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycling this morning in Donaghmede. A cyclist in front of me was tootling along nicely. Traffic was heavy and we were filtering up along the left side of a line of traffic. Cyclist in front of me arrives at the traffic lights (there red), cycles straight through the junction!

Lights go green.. ahead of me is another line of traffic. Again, this "cyclist" veers over to the right hand side so he can filter along the right hand side of the line of traffic. He does this without a single glance over his shoulder and totally oblivious to any cars (or other cyclists) behind.

I guess it just shows just how relaxing cycling is! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Driving at the weekend and just after getting over a crest in the road and see a car coming the opposite direction - he's well over on my side and going very fast to overtake a group of cyclists, I slow down from the 80kph speed limit and he squeezes in past the group of cyclists.

Ridiculous driving - overtaking when he wasn't able to see past the crest in the road and also he was obviously going a serious speed when he came across the group of cyclists and didn't fancy slowing down so kept the foot down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Back cycling after a long time and my god Dublin city is total mess!!! Cycle Lanes are in bits, Road works are everywhere, Number of drivers checking their phones while in slow traffic or at stops, idiot cyclists with in-ear headphones on full blast not hearing anything, taking up the whole cycle lane with headphone on, insecure Motorbikers with their loud roaring sound while filtering through traffic on Bicycle lanes, Jaywalkers crossing the Roads like if they are walking on Beach while their faces glued to their Phones, Junkies/Drunk people jumping onto roads, Some ego fuelled tour de france wannabes speeding and braking hard on their cycle to work scheme Bikes while hiding behind Sunglasses, Fat youngsters taking off at full speed in their modded Subaru Impreza etc.

I think it's time to use my GoPro with helmet mount and use it. Even Phoenix park Cycling paths are full of walkers who don't use dedicated walking paths. may be the safest and more enjoyable time to cycle would be on bank holiday Sunday morning or indoor turbo trainer with artificial nature pictures on flat screen TV while windows open :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement