Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

thefloss wrote: »
    Did you not believe my last reply or do you think I'm telling a fib? :D

I wasn't sure if you were saying "Yes, I was very lucky" or "Haunted means very lucky".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Dublin bus beeping and close pass on N11 this morning just before the Teresian School where the cycle lane is like a theme park ride. There was 2 of us cycling along, neither in cycle lane, bus driver not happy about it.

Cyclist in front knocked on the driver window as we inevitably overtook him 100m later as he sat in traffic, the driver was frothing at the mouth by then. Blows my mind when people get annoyed about being held up by a bicycle in rush hour traffic :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jive wrote: »
    Dublin bus beeping and close pass on N11 this morning just before the Teresian School where the cycle lane is like a theme park ride. There was 2 of us cycling along, neither in cycle lane, bus driver not happy about it.

Cyclist in front knocked on the driver window as we inevitably overtook him 100m later as he sat in traffic, the driver was frothing at the mouth by then. Blows my mind when people get annoyed about being held up by a bicycle in rush hour traffic :pac:

Exactly, no bus ever makes it through the next junction there before a cyclist due to the lights, left turners. Alot of cyclists take the bus lane there as well due to the god awful interaction point at the bus stop and that cars turning left often don't look for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

thefloss wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/maps/search/chruch+road+blackrock/@51.8916001,-8.4195945,3a,75y,203.33h,68.82t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sLzMyS3sWikAa9qIis5f2NA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DLzMyS3sWikAa9qIis5f2NA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D36.51973%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Not sure this is the correct thread because I was actually hit, but I'm not dead so 'near miss' will have to do. Hopefully google map renders correctly.

On Tuesday I was cycling the 100/200 meters home from the hurling club where I had a few pucks before championship tonight (Thursday). The weather was beautiful down here that evening. There was a car behind me and none ahead of me, and I was turning right at the junction (camera angle is my perspective). Funnily enough the red van in the image is the exact location of the blue car in this story.

I had my right arm out wide indicating my intent, and I even went the extra little bit further to be extra safe and give the car indicating right some extra leeway / vision of me. As I started turning right, I realised yer man hadn't looked left *at all*, and I was going to take a hit. My voice wanted to shout *where the f**k are you going?!* but my body shut down and braced for impact. I got the bonnet into my right arse cheek, ankle and back derailleur took impact from the front grille.

I ended up landing on my arse thankfully, and partially my elbow. The guy got out and he was also shook, as he didn't see me at all. I was shaking with adreneline and leaning up against the white garden wall to the left in the image. I said what were you doing? His reply basically was that he was looking for traffic and didn't see me. The sun was behind him so there was no excuse for being blinded.

He gave me his number immediately on request. His daugher randomly showed up on the scene who turned out to be a Garda, and I recognised her as a neighbour. She asked was I ok etc, and what happened. I hope she gives her old man a bollicking later. He offered to pay for any damages and I said I'll get onto him if the bike needs serious work. I think I'll be able to fix it myself. FWIW it's a full carbon Ridley Orion, and she took the impact well, but I need to check thoroughly for any cracks etc.

I went to the doc and got checked out, no permanent damage. Got ibuprofen for the headache I had all day, likely due to the adrenaline comedown. Ankle is a bit sore alright but it'll fix itself. As we say in Cork I was haunted.

Moral of the story is you can do everything right and still get blown out of it. Stay safe folks.

You should report that to the Garda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

not sure why he didn't stay out of the door zone when he had plenty of room..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

'With camera in your car you are covered for any eventuality. Just imagine what might have happened if the Jetta had hit the cyclist in this incident.

'Without the camera footage, how could the Jetta driver have proved his innocence?

Sigh.... surely if the Jetta had hit the fallen cyclist, they wouldn't be innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Poor positioning by the cyclist TBH. I always leave a gap between myself and parked vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Poor positioning by the cyclist TBH. I always leave a gap between myself and parked vehicles.

Still van drivers fault regardless. Cyclist could position himself better but then you get morons driving up your arse on the horn... I choose the potential beeping over getting doored myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Oh for a Dutch Reach...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Van door would have been close to being hit by the car even if the cyclist was not there. Not a lot of shoulder checking going on there. I'm always especially wary around vans on residential streets as they are always the most likely to have someone about to leap out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jive wrote: »

I wonder if he does the same frantic beeping to all the parents of the Teresian School who cut into the bus lane to save them a few minutes from the previous junction, and all the other folks who break the rules - or is he just a bully who has a go at vulnerable road users?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I wonder if he does the same frantic beeping to all the parents of the Teresian School who cut into the bus lane to save them a few minutes from the previous junction, and all the other folks who break the rules - or is he just a bully who has a go at vulnerable road users?

Dont talk to me, those clowns dropping their kids at that school have no respect for other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Dont talk to me, those clowns dropping their kids at that school have no respect for other road users

Same up at Lambs Cross ...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Saw a 49 bus driver have a go at someone who I presume was in an Orwell Jersey on my commute home this evening (was far enough ahead) on the firhouse road heading towards Tallaght just past the GAA club.

The cycle track turns into a raised cycle path (bus lane alongside) and the guy on the bike stayed in the bus lane (I do the same all the time). The bus driver took insult to this and close passed and then swerved back in on top so that the back of the bus was stupidly close to him...

Further ahead just before the M50 bridge flyover the guy on the bike passes the bus which is caught in traffic (literally 200m ahead) and the guy cycling disappears into the horizon.

Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

It'a hilarious to read all the comments sanctimoniously saying he should be in the centre of the lane (which he should). When it comes to close pass videos, the same commentators blame the cyclist for causing the situation by taking the lane. You just can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

This morning about 6.30. Coming down NCR , just past Dorset street. I was going straight on a green light, a driver from oncoming traffic did not yield turning to his right (my left). Did not saw him until it was too late. Just got slightly sprained foot, some bruises and serious case of blues about the bike.

Looking at it now it seems like very close call.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Dave_White wrote: »
    This morning about 6.30. Coming down NCR , just past Dorset street. I was going straight on a green light, a driver from oncoming traffic did not yield turning to his right (my left). Did not saw him until it was too late. Just got slightly sprained foot, some bruises and serious case of blues about the bike.

Jaysus you done well to get anyway from that not seriously injured. Hope you're alright

LpPepper wrote: »
    Jaysus you done well to get anyway from that not seriously injured. Hope you're alright

Agreed. Your lucky!!Get yourself checked over. Assume you have driver details? As you were injured you should report to Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unfortunately not a near miss.

• Advertisement

LpPepper wrote: »
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Agreed. Your lucky!!Get yourself checked over. Assume you have driver details? As you were injured you should report to Gardaí.

Damn lucky indeed I'd say. The guy in a car is a good guy too, it was just a mistake and we keep in touch through insurance claims procedures and Gardai report. I was feeling fine as much one can be after adrenaline 'punch' and did not want to waste any time in ER, so he actually dropped me off at work and filed Gardai report himself. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow and hopefully his rental insurance will cover the damages. Bike is in bike shop now getting estimate as well.

NCR is turning to be a cursed street in Dublin. I had very similar incident last year just in front Mater Hospital. That time I've got bruises way worse, but my bike (dolan pre cursa at that time) hadn't even a dent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Sorry to hear about your collision and glad you're not badly injured! Bike is totalled in my opinion. I wouldn't trust a bike after a smash like that.

I was hit at the same junction just two weeks ago. I was heading southbound on Dorset Street (towards town) and a car coming from the opposite direction turned right into me.

Log the collision on Dublin Inquirer's Collision Tracker if you can: http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

Bike is definitely totalled.

Moflojo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your collision and glad you're not badly injured! Bike is totalled in my opinion. I wouldn't trust a bike after a smash like that.

I was hit at the same junction just two weeks ago. I was heading southbound on Dorset Street (towards town) and a car coming from the opposite direction turned right into me.

Log the collision on Dublin Inquirer's Collision Tracker if you can: http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

Will do.

Also yeah about the bike, front wheel is done for, handlebars probably cracked, not to speak about the condition of the frame. Sad to see it go in such a way tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They have a what's app group to warn of garda checkpoints there.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

We now have more than 1300 posts on a single thread about near misses, all in the space of less than two months.

Can we use this information and level of interest to help achieve safer cycling on our roads? It could be a matter of supporting the MPDL proposal or sending details to the RSA or elsewhere. I'm not experienced in campaigning, so wouldn't know how to go about it effectively. But I do think that this information is compelling, and there's enough footage and detailed accounts here that it couldn't be dismissed as just cyclists whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ED E wrote: »
    Unfortunately not a near miss.

Surprised no other pedant hasn't pointed this out before but this is one of the (thankfully) few "near misses". Technically, all the others are near collisions.

Sorry!

CramCycle wrote: »

That's nuts! I suppose all are cars emblazoned with the usual "Baby on Board" stickers too ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is that the Junction with Belvedere road? Always someone second guessing lights there, or getting caught or gunning it but never quite know which whey they'll come from.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That's nuts! I suppose all are cars emblazoned with the usual "Baby on Board" stickers too ?

I actually cant say im surprised, part of the reason i dont cycle in as much on the n11 anymore is that school, i've had too many close calls with people pulling in and out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement