Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

And the 1st one only had to wait a few car lengths before the traffic on the other side of the road was gone.

And then they pulled into a driveway a few yards later!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had some tool in taxi force by at Castleknock, about here, this morning.

https://goo.gl/maps/6bqFp4KpigT2

I took primary, which seemed to vex him - managed to get aroud me, but he almost hit the guy cycling in front of me, who was travelling near the kerb. Passed him while cars were coming the other way - nearly knock the cyclist off - completely moronic, buy hey it's a taxi. All this to get to a queue of 20 odd cars to the lights.

I don't normally got this way, but I was tight for time (meeting in town), and normally divert through the apartments at Castlefort for a quiet life. The diversion is worth avoiding this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Close call yesterday morning.
    Truck with building supplies tried to run me over on his approach (for red light) to the airport roundabout
    He was laughing behind the wheel and yelling to me get on the cycling lane.
    (Hint: there is no cycling coming from Swords direction city)

So sad that we are at the mercy of complete imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

V-man wrote: »
    Close call yesterday morning.
    Truck with building supplies tried to run me over on his approach (for red light) to the airport roundabout
    He was laughing behind the wheel and yelling to me get on the cycling lane.
    (Hint: there is no cycling coming from Swords direction city)

So sad that we are at the mercy of complete imbeciles.

If you got his number, report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you got his number, report him.

No, too shocked (and only realized later that my SJ-cam is f.cked so nothing "taped")

And too make it worse, got harassed by a Minibus driver on the way home trying to intimidate me off the bus lane. I do have his number (<snip>) and seriously thinking of reporting him.
    (Slight hope the cyclist behind me is a boardie, he almost got run off the lane)

Too many times I just ignored it and moved on with my life.
    Enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Exactly the kind of explanatory publicity we need. For once the indo does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

ED E wrote: »
    Exactly the kind of explanatory publicity we need. For once the indo does a good job.

I suppose if it raises awareness of close passing as an issue then it's a good thing and it's better than cyclist-bashing, but I don't think this is the focus we need. Punishment passers should of course be getting charged, convicted and if appropriate, jail time. But I don't think they are the main cause of cyclist injuries and death. That's largely down to careless, inattentive, inconsiderate and incompetent drivers, who are not going to recognise themselves in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I could record way longer video within 7 days in Dublin. Just today some moron cut in front of me after not bothering with the stop sign, and shouting me being in the middle of the road. When I asked where did he think I should be, he told me to calm down and **** off.
    What can you do, there is no cure for being a tw@t.

I was thinking to get a camera, but I do usually around 3 trips a week longer than 3 hours, and none of them last this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

twinsen wrote: »
    I could record way longer video within 7 days in Dublin. Just today some moron cut in front of me after not bothering with the stop sign, and shouting me being in the middle of the road. When I asked where did he think I should be, he told me to calm down and **** off.
    What can you do, there is no cure for being a tw@t.

I was thinking to get a camera, but I do usually around 3 trips a week longer than 3 hours, and none of them last this long.

If you can get your hands on the GoPro Hero 2014 base model you'll get 2.5-2.75hrs battery life at 1080p full hd and 30 FPS. It can't be taken out of it's case and is built into its waterproof housing but you could probably pick one up off eBay or Amazon cheaply enough now.

• Advertisement

Pretty worrying the amount of comments on the Indo article that attribute blame to the cyclist.

One of the common mindsets out there seems to be as long as I didn't hit you when passing, sure isn't it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Pretty worrying the amount of comments on the Indo article that attribute blame to the cyclist.

One of the common mindsets out there seems to be as long as I didn't hit you when passing, sure isn't it grand.

Would not mind the comments section – fake news/ alternative facts!!

As regards to the all is grand if nothing happens ....safe and responsible drivers don't make those assertions because they know it's a high standard to maintain. Of those that do say this I would say many are involved in traffic incidents at some stage because the OK if I don't hit something is a dice that does not always roll.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Would not mind the comments section – fake news/ alternative facts!!
    the very act of signing up to comment on indo articles would make me disqualify 80% of the people as being worthy of paying attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

twinsen wrote: »

The Fly6 and Fly12 have a 6 and 10 hour run time respectively.

http://cycliq.com/products/

The Indo's comments section suffers from the fact that it's possible to comment anonymously. If people had to put their name and area on a comment they might be less loopy.

The lad taking the video doesn't serve himself well by his constant yells of "Oy! Are you crazy!" etc, mind you. I know it's a natural reaction, but the yelling does make him sound a little attitudinous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Cycling in this morning a car speeds by me in bus lane nearly knocking me off my bike, he proceeds to drive the full length of the bus lane.
    I caught up with him and just got abused by his passenger that "it's a f**king bus lane not a bike lane, blah blah blah " , I told him i have it on camera (which I do) and will go to the Garda with it and see what they say. He replies "they'll do f**king nothing ,anyway your in the wrong for not using bike lane".

So .... am I technically in the wrong for not using bike lane provided ? It is off road and if I used it it would require a lot of stop/starting waiting at pedestrian lights. He is in the wrong anyway for driving in a bus lane when he is not driving a bus or taxi. Will the garda do anything? Is there somewhere to email the footage to or upload it ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cycling in this morning a car speeds by me in bus lane nearly knocking me off my bike, he proceeds to drive the full length of the bus lane.
    I caught up with him and just got abused by his passenger that "it's a f**king bus lane not a bike lane, blah blah blah " , I told him i have it on camera (which I do) and will go to the Garda with it and see what they say. He replies "they'll do f**king nothing ,anyway your in the wrong for not using bike lane".

So .... am I technically in the wrong for not using bike lane provided ? It is off road and if I used it it would require a lot of stop/starting waiting at pedestrian lights. He is in the wrong anyway for driving in a bus lane when he is not driving a bus or taxi. Will the garda do anything? Is there somewhere to email the footage to or upload it ?

Thanks.

If it's a close pass and you have him on camera saying "they'll do f**king nothing" then I suspect this might be one of those cases where they will do something :)
    Either traffic watch or your local garda station.
    Don't mention his comment or who should/shouldn't be in the bus lane when you report it. You're reporting him for dangerous driving.
    You're reporting him for the eclose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

No you are not in the wrong using the bus lane. In fact he is in the wrong.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks.

This wasn't on the Rock Road by any chance??

Coming in this morning there was a cyclist remonstrating with a car and talking through the passenger window. Car was in the car lane.

The bike was flat on the ground in front of the car I presume to stop it moving off. Fairly sure bike wasn't hit but more like it was placed there deliberately. About 08:00 outside Blackrock college..

Edit: sorry just saw there was also a bike lane so obviously not Rock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This morning on the R149 a large oil tanker overtook me, he gave space to me but not to the car coming in the opposite direction who had to slam on their brakes to avoid a head on collision - the truck then had to swing back into the lane quickly - somehow I saw this unfold in slow motion and I braked so I wasn't as close to the back of his truck as I might have been. I've emailed the company in question. To make matters worse he was turning right immediately after the maneuver so he put lives in danger for the sake of 30 seconds. I need to also email Meath Co Co about that road to see if they will put up more speed signs, it's by far the worst part of my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/chruch+road+blackrock/@51.8916001,-8.4195945,3a,75y,203.33h,68.82t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sLzMyS3sWikAa9qIis5f2NA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DLzMyS3sWikAa9qIis5f2NA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D36.51973%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Not sure this is the correct thread because I was actually hit, but I'm not dead so 'near miss' will have to do. Hopefully google map renders correctly.

On Tuesday I was cycling the 100/200 meters home from the hurling club where I had a few pucks before championship tonight (Thursday). The weather was beautiful down here that evening. There was a car behind me and none ahead of me, and I was turning right at the junction (camera angle is my perspective). Funnily enough the red van in the image is the exact location of the blue car in this story.

I had my right arm out wide indicating my intent, and I even went the extra little bit further to be extra safe and give the car indicating right some extra leeway / vision of me. As I started turning right, I realised yer man hadn't looked left *at all*, and I was going to take a hit. My voice wanted to shout *where the f**k are you going?!* but my body shut down and braced for impact. I got the bonnet into my right arse cheek, ankle and back derailleur took impact from the front grille.

I ended up landing on my arse thankfully, and partially my elbow. The guy got out and he was also shook, as he didn't see me at all. I was shaking with adreneline and leaning up against the white garden wall to the left in the image. I said what were you doing? His reply basically was that he was looking for traffic and didn't see me. The sun was behind him so there was no excuse for being blinded.

He gave me his number immediately on request. His daugher randomly showed up on the scene who turned out to be a Garda, and I recognised her as a neighbour. She asked was I ok etc, and what happened. I hope she gives her old man a bollicking later. He offered to pay for any damages and I said I'll get onto him if the bike needs serious work. I think I'll be able to fix it myself. FWIW it's a full carbon Ridley Orion, and she took the impact well, but I need to check thoroughly for any cracks etc.

I went to the doc and got checked out, no permanent damage. Got ibuprofen for the headache I had all day, likely due to the adrenaline comedown. Ankle is a bit sore alright but it'll fix itself. As we say in Cork I was haunted.

Moral of the story is you can do everything right and still get blown out of it. Stay safe folks.

The bike lane from Kevin Street along the south and west of Stephen's Green has turned into a handy race track for some motorbikers. I've asked a few of them top get out of he mandatory bike lane. Many will take the left turning lane on Stephen's green, then go straight on, weaving in and out of bikes on the mandatory bike lane on Stephen's green.

D!ck this morning took the biscuit. He gunned it as he got to the lights, passing me on the left, but going straight on. He came across a bike in his path (in the bike lane), and tried to steer right, but the back end of the bike skipped out. He managed to recover it but given his speed and position he would have wiped the cyclists and himself out.

https://goo.gl/maps/gDdgVT5j2mP2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks.

Ring Trafficwatch and say exactly what you've said here. Might take a while, but they'll be dealt with and it will be on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

out of interest what software do people use to edit footage? mine record in mp4 & avi and a couple of editors i've downloaded weren't up to much...

thefloss wrote: »
    As we say in Cork I was haunted.

Meaning? ('Haunted')

Thank God you're ok.

Meaning? ('Haunted')

Thank God you're ok.

very lucky

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The lad taking the video doesn't serve himself well by his constant yells of "Oy! Are you crazy!" etc, mind you. I know it's a natural reaction, but the yelling does make him sound a little attitudinous.

Most are reasonable responses although I am unsure why he kept going when the car overtook him as he was overtaking the ambulance. All very well being in the right but I don't want it to be on my epitaph. I would have dropped anchor even though I would have been rightly annoyed with the driver.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Most are reasonable responses although I am unsure why he kept going when the car overtook him as he was overtaking the ambulance. All very well being in the right but I don't want it to be on my epitaph. I would have dropped anchor even though I would have been rightly annoyed with the driver.

It's very hard to make that decision at the moment when it happens, though - for all he knew, there was another car coming up behind, and if he slowed and turned in, he could be hit from the back.

Meanwhile, tenterhooks: what does 'haunted' mean in Cork? Does it actually mean 'very lucky'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

Meanwhile, tenterhooks: what does 'haunted' mean in Cork? Does it actually mean 'very lucky'?
    thefloss already answered that one:
    thefloss wrote: »
    very lucky

• Advertisement

Did you not believe my last reply or do you think I'm telling a fib? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement