Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

VW 1 wrote: »
    He stopped rolled down the window and told me he'd sort me out if I ever touched his car again. I was asking him had he not seen me why did he pull across a cycle lane and not stop at the yield sign. His explanation was that he has to look out for trucks and cars as well he can't be expected to see everything

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There's something ironic about taking a lecture in road safety from a taxi man. they have zero respect for other road users, especially cyclists.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There's something ironic about taking a lecture in road safety from a taxi man. they have zero respect for other road users, especially cyclists.

Ah but they're professional drivers so they know it all don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

All this happened on a quite, wide one way side street on a Sunday afternoon. Truly shocking that there are such utter scumbags in cars. Have the cars details, but not sure If I'm entitled to make a complaint to Traffic Watch / Gardai? I'd be quite happy to follow this true and let this w@nker have his day in court.
    Why wouldn't you be entitled? I'd definitely report it. Probably depends on the cyclist reporting it as well, but if he does, then I think a prosecution would be very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I wrote on the back of my RSA bag cover this morning the words 'Please pass safely' drew an arrow and put 1.5M over it, I've been meaning to get something done up in a printers but never get around to it. Amazingly I didn't have one close pass on my way to work! Will be very interested to see if it works this evening too. Must order a few more of those and do them up properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I wrote on the back of my RSA bag cover this morning the words 'Please pass safely' drew an arrow and put 1.5M over it, I've been meaning to get something done up in a printers but never get around to it. Amazingly I didn't have one close pass on my way to work! Will be very interested to see if it works this evening too. Must order a few more of those and do them up properly!

You can buy the jersey from here, I picked one up a few weeks ago, nice and comfy jersey. It's sold out at the moment though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the design on the back is too small for a passing motorist to read - would have just been far simpler with a big triangle with 1.5 inside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

true, be more of a visual impact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Not scary, but annoying. Parent on the school run decides to rush a pass on a tight road with oncoming traffic and an open car door and man halfway into the car on the nearside. Skims past me very close and a little bit further out from my lads as I had been taking the lane to discourage this very manoeuvre due to the road conditions not 10 yards away. I was half expecting this so it didn't bother me too much. The school run parent also had to stop at the red light 30 yards away. Just a really poor reading of what was happening directly in front of them.

They observed:
    - A stationary hazard in the road in the form of the man sticking his head into his open car.
    - A number of cars coming towards them.
    - A group of cyclists in the lane in front of them.
    and
    - A red light.

They added all this up and decided the best course of action was to accelerate! Very poor driving I feel.

Later, after we had skipped past them while they were stuck in a queue of traffic, they concluded their trip to school by accelerating very hard again to get into a car park area outside the school as we were passing through the same area. Again, there wasn't *much* risk of them actually t-boning us, but it sort of felt like they might. After their previous form it was grating that they didn't seem to cop on how they were affecting other people. Very inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Have the cars details, but not sure If I'm entitled to make a complaint to Traffic Watch / Gardai? I'd be quite happy to follow this true and let this w@nker have his day in court.
    Why not? That's exactly the reason that Traffic Watch was set up for. In fact your report should carry more weight than the chap on the bike as you're an independent witness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Arrogant, ignorant pricks a lot of them are. Sure aren't a third of them said to be convicted criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

check_six wrote: »
    Not scary, but annoying. Parent on the school run decides to rush a pass on a tight road with oncoming traffic and an open car door and man halfway into the car on the nearside. Skims past me very close and a little bit further out from my lads as I had been taking the lane to discourage this very manoeuvre due to the road conditions not 10 yards away. I was half expecting this so it didn't bother me too much. The school run parent also had to stop at the red light 30 yards away. Just a really poor reading of what was happening directly in front of them.

It's sadly not uncommon at all, regardless of whether or not it's a cyclist in front or any other form of traffic for some people. I witnessed an incredibly dumb near-miss/overtake yesterday in Sheffield; ironically enough right beside Northern General hospital. I was also annoyed as not less than 30 seconds earlier I had let the stupid c@ckbag in his big shiny black range rover complete with designer beard trim and aviator shades out of a side turn-off as a courtesy as the lights were red in front of me.

Basically, two lanes with right lane filtering right-only, followed roughly 20m past that by a fork in the road going left & right respectively. Car at front of traffic lights, then girl on bicycle, then I let Mr. c@ckbag out, then myself. It's a wide enough junction to cross on a bike, but this guy attempted to overtake her ON the junction and then went on to take the right fork whilst she took left fork. He couldn't wait for about 10m to see which way she was going first ... complete inability to think about what's in front of him on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    professional drivers
    :pac:

Well that's that blown out of the water, the usual shenanigans on the R149 this evening although one of the worst I've seen. Muppet in a commercial van comes right up behind me at speed, overtakes at the very last second into oncoming traffic :( He then claimed his window wouldn't wind down when I tried to have a polite word after I caught up to him at the junction ahead :mad:
    You can buy the jersey from here, I picked one up a few weeks ago, nice and comfy jersey. It's sold out at the moment though...

I wear a backpack commuting so the jersey wouldn't be any good. I did ask them if they'd consider making backpack covers but they said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Two close passes in a row this evening in templeogue, same spot as a previous video in the thread. First few cars are prime example of how you should give space.

The white car wasnt terrible, but right on the line and felt close. The BMW passed on the solid white line and moved back in when he saw oncoming traffic. I'm just glad I avoided the manhole by going left of it, instead of right.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

[QUOTE I wear a backpack commuting so the jersey wouldn't be any good. I did ask them if they'd consider making backpack covers but they said no.[/QUOTE]

I asked too re your equivalent of the RSA bag as I wouldn't be wearing a jersey either and was told it might happen. In dull weather I wear the bag empty, yellow side out. I prefer it to the full high-viz regalia! Safe Cycling Eire is a voluntary pretty much one-man part-time outfit so we can't be expecting commercial type customer service I suppose

Lately I bought the swim noodles in Aldi with a view to using them as a 1m demo on bike! They're 120 cm long so would suffice to demonstrate the overtaking distance you should leave in a 50 kph zone. Haven't done anything with them yet though, not even sure they'd work, but seemed like a good idea at the time! Maybe you could try those next!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I wear a backpack commuting so the jersey wouldn't be any good. I did ask them if they'd consider making backpack covers but they said no.

I asked too re your equivalent of the RSA bag as I wouldn't be wearing a jersey either and was told it might happen. In dull weather I wear the bag empty, yellow side out. I prefer it to the full high-viz regalia! Safe Cycling Eire is a voluntary pretty much one-man part-time outfit so we can't be expecting commercial type customer service I suppose

Lately I bought the swim noodles in Aldi with a view to using them as a 1m demo on bike! They're 120 cm long so would suffice to demonstrate the overtaking distance you should leave in a 50 kph zone. Haven't done anything with them yet though, not even sure they'd work, but seemed like a good idea at the time! Maybe you could try those next!
    Seems to work for this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Danbo! wrote: »
    Two close passes in a row this evening in templeogue, same spot as a previous video in the thread. First few cars are prime example of how you should give space.

The white car wasnt terrible, but right on the line and felt close. The BMW passed on the solid white line and moved back in when he saw oncoming traffic. I'm just glad I avoided the manhole by going left of it, instead of right.

What's new - I hate that bloody road. Anyone else feel like reporting the road design to the council? Then again, on that stretch of road what's the other option? The previous off road cycle path was also useless and not for for purpose, what's the other option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

You can buy cheapo backpack covers in the camping shop in Capel Street. Odd that RSA wouldn't do it with so many people wearing backpacks.

That road in Templeogue - where is it, so people might be able to suggest cyclerounds?

Chuchote wrote: »
    You can buy cheapo backpack covers in the camping shop in Capel Street. Odd that RSA wouldn't do it with so many people wearing backpacks.

That road in Templeogue - where is it, so people might be able to suggest cyclerounds?

The RSA do have back pack covers, it's the 'stayin alive at 1.5 ' folks that don't do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just for anyone who's not aware, the Stayin Alive at 1.5 movement is largely down to one man, who works his ass off on an entirely voluntary basis and has achieved a huge amount. I just wouldn't want anyone to be left with the impression that the lack of backpack covers is down to someone being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LpPepper wrote: »
    What's new - I hate that bloody road. Anyone else feel like reporting the road design to the council? Then again, on that stretch of road what's the other option? The previous off road cycle path was also useless and not for for purpose, what's the other option?

Ped path is much wider than required for most of it, pull it back 35-40cm and give the "car" lane enough room to not promote punishment passes.
    Chuchote wrote: »

https://goo.gl/maps/CNRZ3L5E3wR2

If coming from town you can vear off at HX and go the Kimmage route but that has its choke points too. Doubling back to get onto Butterfield via Fairways wouldnt be worth your time as there are two quite slow right turn lights followed by another three lights (and bus priority).

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

VW 1 wrote: »
    Had a lovely run in with a taxi driver this morning ...
    I didn't even take his taxi number never mind his reg.

Rage.

I'm still learning to be calm in the face of rage and adrenalin. A while back a taxi cut me off in front of Heuston station by squeezing left into the bike lane in front of me - I was able to tap the side window and roof. When we had words not 10m away at the red lights he also mentioned the "don't touch me car". Without looking up I quoted his taxi number to him and offered to continue this conversion with the Gardai in the carriage Office since he was being an effing idiot. He shut up and another passing taxi that witnessed it gave me the thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

LpPepper wrote: »

I think just removing the lines would help to be honest. Motorists feel if they're in their lane and I'm in mine there's no issue.

I noticed too they painted new lines on the awful cycle track on Cyprus grove road in the last week. Except they didn't repaint the yield signs so those unfamiliar won't know to yield at every junction. On one stretch where the grass verge is reclaiming the cycle track, they only painted the line on one side, rather than pulling back the grass and doing it right.

I'd love to know who in SDCC is making these decisions. Someone purposefully decided to repaint the lines but not the junction markings. It's bizarre. Just means those avoiding the track will likely get grief as it's now more clear to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd love to know who in SDCC is making these decisions. Someone purposefully decided to repaint the lines but not the junction markings. It's bizarre. Just means those avoiding the track will likely get grief as it's now more clear to motorists.

Probably some drone "ya told me to paint the lines so I did the lines". CoCo maintenance positions don't necessarily attract the most enthusiastic candidates.

I think just removing the lines would help to be honest. Motorists feel if they're in their lane and I'm in mine there's no issue.

I noticed too they painted new lines on the awful cycle track on Cyprus grove road in the last week. Except they didn't repaint the yield signs so those unfamiliar won't know to yield at every junction. On one stretch where the grass verge is reclaiming the cycle track, they only painted the line on one side, rather than pulling back the grass and doing it right.

I had someone honking at me and pointing to the path along this route on the cycle home this evening. They held back & gave me space when overtaking but hit the horn a few times and gesticulated towards the path as they passed. Very annoying.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I had someone honking at me and pointing to the path along this route on the cycle home this evening. They held back & gave me space when overtaking but hit the horn a few times and gesticulated towards the path as they passed. Very annoying.

Also not very legal. A car horn isn't for bullying other road users; it's for warning of danger.

Just for anyone who's not aware, the Stayin Alive at 1.5 movement is largely down to one man, who works his ass off on an entirely voluntary basis and has achieved a huge amount. I just wouldn't want anyone to be left with the impression that the lack of backpack covers is down to someone being lazy.

I never said that, I was just explaining why the jersey (which I think is great) wouldn't be any use to me.

Would it be worth holding occasional workshops on a Saturday when local people are likely to be walking there, talking about how dangerous the road is when you're on a bike and showing this video?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I got some backpack covers from the RSA a couple of years back if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement